Chapter 12

Believe

Sunggyu pursed his lips together as he squeezed Woohyun’s hands. “Look, I know this stresses you out–”

“This doesn’t just stress me out!” Woohyun exclaimed in exasperation. His head fell into his hands as he sighed. "It's so much worse because I don’t know how to help! I-I really don’t know what to do,” he muttered dejectedly.

“Hey. It’ll be okay.” Sunggyu placed his arm around Woohyun, comforting him as much as he could. He rubbed at his back warmly and softly spoke, “I’m sure we’ll find the culprit. If it’s not Hoya then the list of suspects has only been narrowed, right?”

“I guess so. But it doesn’t help that there are no leads! I hate going into work and seeing animals sick, Sunggyu. I really hate it.”

Sunggyu kissed the crown of his head and rubbed his shoulders affectionately. “You’ll be fine. And the animals will be absolutely fine too! You’ve got one of the best veterinarians in the world who care about them.”

It took a moment, but Woohyun finally broke out into a smile. “Yeah,” he chuckled lightly. “We have Hoya.”

With a smile, Sunggyu stood up from the couch and extended a hand towards his boyfriend. “Come on, let’s get going. The reservations I made were at seven.”

“Okay,” Woohyun whispered, taking his hand to stand up. “Dinner will make me feel better,” he commented.

“It’ll probably make you feel better, but it’s going to make my wallet cry.”

Woohyun punched his side playfully. “Are you insinuating that I’m an expensive date?”

“No, I’m just saying that you have like, three stomachs or something, because you just keep ordering food and eating. Seriously, you ordered two burritos last time we went out.”

“Oh, and you don’t? Don’t think I didn’t notice you ordering two desserts.”

“Strawberry cheesecake happens to be my weakness and that restaurant served great strawberry cheesecake.”

Woohyun snorted. “You even asked for a couple slices to take home! And you’re saying that I’m expensive?”

“Okay, fine.” Sunggyu laughed. “We both eat a lot when we go out. Fair?”

“Fair,” Woohyun sang. “At least we get to spend time with each other. My work schedule is going to be getting busier soon, I can just feel it in the air.”

“I feel like we’ve spent so much time together lately, but maybe that’s because Myungsoo and Sungyeol haven’t been spending as much time,” Sunggyu snickered, “and we just can’t compare it anymore.”

“That’s true,” Woohyun laughed. “What happened with them anyways? Last I heard from Sungyeol, Myungsoo had come over to apologize… barefoot, though. Which is kind of weird.”

The elder scratched the nape of his neck from sheer second hand embarrassment. “Yeah… he was a little rushed to get there. Sometimes I forget that he lacks some common sense.”

“You’d think he would have a lot, considering you live together. You’re pretty logical too.”

“Maybe it’s because I’m always around to stop him from doing stupid things,” Sunggyu suggested with a laugh. “I hope he and Sungyeol made up though. I can’t imagine one without the other.”

“Me neither. To be honest, I’m surprised they don’t live together. They always seemed like they couldn’t spend more than a second without each other.”

Swinging their hands as they made their way to Woohyun’s car, Sunggyu commented, “Well, maybe they’ll move in together soon, who knows?”

“Why would they move in together? Not that they shouldn’t, it’s just… why would they need to now?”

“Well…” Sunggyu mused. “Myungsoo and I moved in together to support each other. And nowadays, we don’t need to support each other anymore.”

Woohyun raised an eyebrow as they reached his car. “What are you saying?” He unlocked the doors. “Do you want to drive?”

“It’s okay, you can drive.” They both slipped into the seats and waited as Woohyun started the engine. “But as I was saying, Myungsoo and I have been discussing moving out of our apartment.”

Turning to look at him in surprise, Woohyun exclaimed, “Really? You two are planning to move out?”

“Yeah,” Sunggyu replied with a slight nod. “It’s going to be a big step for the both of us, but I think we’re ready. So in a month or two, we’ll be moving out.”

“Wow… You two are really moving out,” Woohyun murmured.

Sunggyu nodded. “Yup. I think Myungsoo was planning to move in with Sungyeol – I mean, half of his wardrobe is already over there, he might as well – so I hope they made up.”

Woohyun chuckled and nodded. “Yeah, it would be good if they made up. What about you though? Where are you planning to move?”

“Into my own apartment. Preferably a little smaller and cleaner – but my own. It’s going to be a big step, but I feel so ready for it. Myungsoo and I have been living together for so long.”

“Must be nerve-racking to separate after living with each other,” Woohyun commented.

Sunggyu gave him a side smile as they stopped at a red light. “Maybe I won’t live alone for too long. That depends on you though.”

Woohyun turned to look at him confusedly. “What do you mean by it depends on me? I’m not lending you money or anything… unless you’re going to ask me?”

“No,” Sunggyu chuckled. “Actually I was going to ask if you would be open to the idea of moving in together in the future. Obviously not now, but… maybe in the future.”

It didn’t take a second glance for Sunggyu to notice the rosy blush growing on Woohyun’s cheeks. His smile was hard to conceal as he ruffled in his seat, flattered. “You want to move in together? In the future?”

“Of course.” Sunggyu nodded with a smile. “I’d like to think that you’re, you know… the one.”

“Aww,” Woohyun cooed, his shoulders going up as he hugged himself. He felt so warm and fuzzy inside from the simple words. “I’d really like to think that too. I mean, I don’t think I’ve connected with anyone as much as you.”

Sunggyu leaned over to kiss his cheek. “Me too.” He giggled as Woohyun froze in his seat. Nudging him, he murmured, “The light’s green – let’s go, hm?”

“Y-Yeah, okay.”

“Did you just get flustered from me kissing your cheek?” Sunggyu snickered. He leaned back in his seat as Woohyun grasped the steering wheel.

He cleared his throat. “No. I’m just a little overwhelmed with all the feelings at the moment. It’ll pass, I know it will.”

Sunggyu laughed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So… is this a first for you?”

“I’m not sure what you mean…”

“I mean, is this your first date with one of your art subjects.”

Hoya flushed as Dongwoo smiled at him from across the table. “Well, sort of. I don’t usually draw people I’m interested in. I’m glad you’re open to it though.” He coughed out a chuckle. “And… thanks for setting this up. I was honestly too embarrassed after that whole clipboard reveal to even think about asking you out.”

Dongwoo grinned, his sparkling eye-smile hitting a chord in Hoya’s chest. “It was so cute though! You definitely have talent! And I’ve never had anyone draw me so nicely before. I really thought it was sweet.” He leaned forward, his face resting in his hands. “And besides, we don’t see each other outside of work much. You look really nice out of your veterinarian coat.”

“You too,” Hoya replied earnestly. Dongwoo did look great in the dim restaurant lighting though. Although he always looked great in a wetsuit, Dongwoo looked stunning in a tight button up and khakis as well. Hoya didn’t have many words to say.

“I’ll be honest, I haven’t been on a date in a long time,” Dongwoo laughed. “Last person I kissed was a sea lion.”

Hoya actually laughed. “Last person I kissed was this dolphin we were sending back out to sea. She was a sweetheart, it was sad to see her go.”

“At least she’s healthy now,” Dongwoo said cheerily. “I’m so glad you’re not who they thought you were. I don’t think I could ever look at a person who hurt animals on purpose.”

“Me neither. I’m glad I’m off the suspects list,” he chuckled. “Not great that there’s still someone hurting those babies though.”

“Yeah,” Dongwoo sighed, picking at his salad. “It’s sad. I need to know who did it though. It’s the only way I can protect them.”

“Of course,” Hoya agreed. “I wish we had a clue as to who was hurting them though. With me out of the equation, we’ve seemed to be left with nothing.”

Dongwoo tilted his head and murmured, “I can’t believe they thought it was you though. I guess you were in all the wrongs spots at the wrong time. I’m sure you couldn’t have been the only person who was there.”

“No, I really was the only person there. There was no one else who happened to be at those scenes–” Hoya stopped, his eyebrows furrowing for a moment. “…Hold on a second.”

“Is… there something wrong?” Dongwoo asked, leaning forward. “You got distracted.”

Hoya looked up sharply and shook his head. “Oh, sorry. Don’t worry about it, I just kind of… realized something. Something that might be important. Remind me to tell Woohyun later.”

Dongwoo blinked. “Wouldn’t you want to tell him now? Since you said it might be important.”

Hoya grinned. “No, it’s alright. I’d rather focus on you tonight.”

“Oh good.” Dongwoo flushed and smiled. “Because I was planning to work you up for at least one kiss tonight.”

Flushing, Hoya commented, “You’re very frank, aren’t you?”

“Is that a bad thing? I can tone it down if you like–”

“No, no.” Hoya smiled broadly. “I like it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sunggyu should have been used to certain things after he started dating Woohyun. They have been dating for a while now and so Sunggyu should be used to many things. He should be used to the way Woohyun’s crooked bottom teeth appeared when he laughed too hard or the way his head would move when he sang out loud in the car. He should be used to those, and he was. They didn’t make him shy anymore but if there was one thing that he wasn’t used to, it was Woohyun in the locker room.

Specifically, Woohyun putting on his wetsuit.

He had gotten up early to drive Woohyun to the park while there weren’t many people there.  And Woohyun had pulled him into the locker room for secret kisses and light touches as he got ready. After a good few moments spent making out, Woohyun had disappeared to go change since Sungyeol would be showing up soon.

But Woohyun had reappeared quickly and asked, “Will you zip up my back?”

“Zip up your back?” Sunggyu swallowed. He shouldn’t have felt so flustered but watching Woohyun turn around with an exposed back proved to be something he wasn’t very good at handling.

“I’d ask Sungyeol to do it,” Woohyun replied, “but he’s not here yet. He’s late. I wonder what’s keeping him.”

Sunggyu grazed his fingers over Woohyun’s spine and smiled slightly as he shivered. “Who knows,” he said. “Maybe he and Myungsoo are still talking things out.”

“Still?” Woohyun whispered lowly. “It’s been two days though. They can’t still be talking.”

“Maybe Myungsoo is still outside of his door, begging Sungyeol to let him inside so he can apologize.” He began zipping up the back of the wetsuit slowly. “But I’m just hoping they’re at the talking part still.”

“Me too. I guess I can excuse Sungyeol if he comes late today – I have Key here with me after all.”

“That’s true,” Sunggyu mused as he pulled the zipper up. Before he pulled it all the way up, he left a kiss on the nape of Woohyun’s neck.

“Hyung!” Woohyun exclaimed, shivering again.

Sunggyu chuckled softly, the hairs on his nape. “Are you sensitive here, Woohyun? At the bottom of your neck and your spine?”

Woohyun whipped around. “No!” he retorted. “B-But don’t tickle me there, okay? Just don’t.”

Snickering, Sunggyu agreed, “Okay. But I’m going to touch there eventually, you know?”

Woohyun covered his neck in annoyance and stuck his tongue out. He turned around to open his locker and stuff his clothes in. “Can’t touch my neck if you can’t see it,” he muttered.

One of the many secrets Sunggyu learned after dating Woohyun was that he was really cute. It didn’t take a genius to realize that but Woohyun was really into aegyo. Sunggyu wasn’t a fan of all the aegyo, but he liked when Woohyun’s natural cuteness just came out at random.

“It’s okay, your neck isn’t even my favorite part of you,” Sunggyu said with a snicker. He turned Woohyun around and planted a kiss on his lips. “I like that part better.”

“I think you’re words are getting as gross as mine,” Woohyun snorted. “But that’s okay – I’m into it.”

“Oh good, I was afraid you weren’t going to like it,” he replied sarcastically.

“No, no – I’m into it. You just need to keep kissing me so that you never say it again though.”

“So you didn’t like it.”

“Aw, I didn’t say that!”

“You definitely implied it.”

“Okay, fine, I did. But it’s only because a grown man like you sounds weird saying cheesy words.”

“Oh, and you don’t sound just as ridiculous?”

Woohyun rolled his eyes and pushed Sunggyu’s shoulder. “No,” he said stubbornly.

Sunggyu was pulling him in for a kiss again when they suddenly heard steps bounding towards them. Woohyun pushed him away slightly as Hoya came to a squeaky stop on the rubber mats in front of them.

“Woohyun,” Hoya said, “I need to tell you something.

Scratching his neck, Woohyun replied, “Right now?”

“Yeah, it’s about a new lead. On who might be hurting the animals,” Hoya finished.

“You have a lead?! Then come on into my office, Hoya, let’s talk about this.”

“Absolutely.”

Sunggyu turned to Woohyun with a smile and kissed his cheek gently. “I’ll leave you two alone then. I’m going to go back to my apartment to get some things and I’ll be back.”

Woohyun smiled up at him. “Okay! I’ll see you back here.”

Sunggyu made his way out of the locker room and began his walk to the parking lot. On his way out, he accidentally bumped into a girl holding a camera. She stumbled backwards roughly and Sunggyu had to reach out to support her.

“Oh!” he exclaimed. “I’m so sorry – are you okay?”

“Y-Yeah,” she stammered.

“Sorry about that,” he said again with a laugh. “I can tend to space out a lot. You’re not a trainer here, are you?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Oh… how did you get access to the park so early?” he asked confusedly. “I mean, I’m not a trainer either but that’s because I know Woohyun.”

She coughed and replied, “Key, I know Key. He let me in here to see the whales.”

“Oh, nice to meet you!” Sunggyu smiled and his hand forward. “I’m Sunggyu, and you?”

“Arisa,” she said. “My name is Arisa.” Without bothering to shake his hand, she scurried off.

“Hm,” he said to himself. “Weird.”

But as he continued walking, he couldn’t forget the name she had told him. Arisa? Why did that sound so familiar? He couldn’t put his finger on it, but he could have sworn he had heard that name before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Myungsoo! Myungsoo, have you seen my phone charger?” Sunggyu called out into his apartment. “My car charger broke so I need a new one. Myungsoo?”

No response reached him and Sunggyu frowned. Myungsoo couldn’t have been asleep still – he never slept in so late. Sighing, Sunggyu stalked over to Myungsoo’s room and flung the door open.

“Myungsoo, why aren’t you– OH MY GOD.

“Hyung!” Myungsoo squeaked out. “W-What are you doing here?!”

Sunggyu shielded his vision and groaned in disgust. “I think the better question is what is Sungyeol doing here?! in your bed?!”

Sungyeol’s face was red as he yanked the bed sheets up to cover his and Myungsoo’s bodies. “Um, we weren’t expecting you,” he stammered out nervously.

“Clearly,” Sunggyu snapped. “It’s great that you two made up and all, but that didn’t change the rule that you couldn’t have Sungyeol over anymore, Myungsoo!”

“I-I’m sorry, hyung! I wasn’t–”

“Yes, yes, okay, whatever; just throw me the charger and I’ll leave.” Sunggyu cringed as he felt a phone charger pound onto his stomach but after squatting down to retrieve it, he turned around and left immediately.

“Get dressed!” he called back into the room. “And then get your butts to work! These childish fools, really…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Hoya, I don’t understand… I feel like I should believe you, but–”

“I know it seems a little farfetched but that’s all we have to work with right?” Hoya crossed his arms. “After all, you did suspect me too. He shouldn’t be that hard to suspect either.”

Woohyun pursed his lips together and shook his head. “No, I understand, it’s just… Key? I trust him here so much. He’s been around for nearly as long as I have and I’d like to believe that his intentions of coming here haven’t changed.”

“As would I,” Hoya responded firmly. “But in all of my suspicious moments, I believe he was there too. He was usually the person I handed vitamins to. And he would be one of the only other trainers to have access to all the food storages like that. Bora and Gongchan only have access to the dolphins’ food. Dongwoo only has access to the sea lions.’ Doesn’t that seem just a little suspicious?”

“Well, yes, if you say it like that–”

“And unless it was you or Sungyeol poisoning the animals, I don’t really think there’s another suspect.”

“But even if it was him – why would he ever hurt these animals? He’s been training them for so long.”

Hoya shrugged. “I don’t know. I would ask him.”

Woohyun stood up, uncomfortable. “I’m not a fan of accusing my co-workers. Even with you, I wasn’t comfortable asking you to show me your clipboard. But… there are higher stakes here. I’ll ask him.”

“Would you like me to come with you?” Hoya offered.

The other shook his head. “No, it’s okay. I can ask him on my own.”

Hoya nodded as he and Woohyun made their way out of Woohyun’s office. They didn’t even know if Key had arrived to work yet, but if he wasn’t then they would need to wait. If he wasn’t in the locker room, he would be at the tank. Seeing that his shoes were under the benches in the locker room, they assumed he was already out at the tank.

They walked out together and Hoya turned to leave to start his duties as a veterinarian. After a short goodbye, Woohyun continued on his own and nearly had a heart attack when he turned the corner.

“Oh, hey, where are you going?”

“Sunggyu!” Woohyun exclaimed. “You’re back already?”

“Yeah, I just needed to grab a charger, after all. Also, Myungsoo and Sungyeol made up.”

“Oh… that’s good.” Woohyun nodded. “Anyways, I was about ask Key something. You haven’t seen him around… have you?”

Sunggyu shook his head. “No, not really. There was a girl that was here who said Key had let her in though.”

“A girl? Who? Key’s never let in anyone in before…”

“She was holding a camera,” Sunggyu replied. He thought for a moment and said, “Ah, her name was Arisa. That’s what she told me.”

The look in Woohyun’s eyes suddenly hardened. “A girl holding a camera? Named Arisa?”

“Yeah.” Sunggyu nodded as he confirmed the memory.

“Arisa as in the Yagi Arisa?” Woohyun bit out. “The journalist?”

“Oh, maybe that’s why her name sounded familiar. A journalist. What’s a journalist doing here?”

Woohyun frowned. “I’ve got a bad idea, unfortunately. And I kind of hope I’m wrong.”

Sunggyu followed him as he stalked to the whale tank. Woohyun didn’t say anything to him as they continued in an almost angry silence. They found Key shortly. He was standing next to the tank, talking to the Arisa girl.

“Kibum!” Woohyun called, getting his attention. He didn’t give him a chance to respond before immediately asking, “What are you doing? Why is Yagi Arisa in here? What are you doing bringing reporters in here before opening hours?”

Key’s gaze sharpened as he replied, “What, I can’t bring friends over? You do it enough.”

“That’s not the point,” Woohyun spat. “Why does she have a camera? What’s she taking pictures of?”

“Your animals,” Arisa said with fiery spite. “I’m getting tons of hits by documenting how you all don’t treat your animals well.”

Woohyun seemed enraged. “So it was you two?! You two who had been poisoning the animals?! And for what – your sake?!”

“And the money,” Key said. He smirked and Sunggyu had never felt so confused in his life. Key had always seemed like a relatively nice person. But now he seemed so arrogant. Sunggyu wondered if this was how Key regularly was. “You can’t forget the money.”

“I thought you cared about the animals here!” Woohyun said at Key accusingly. “You trained them for so long!”

“I guess.” Key shrugged. “I guess I just didn’t care after a while. And after Arisa offered me all that money just to stage a few accidents, you know I wouldn’t refuse.”

“No, I didn’t know that. I didn’t realize you were such a greed-driven !” Woohyun shouted. “I trusted you this whole time and you just went and threw away my trust?! Just like that?!”

Woohyun narrowed his eyes. “I knew you were naïve, Woohyun – but certainly not this naïve. I’m a trainer just like you are, I just don’t have the same goals.”

“You disgusting piece of–”

“Woohyun!” Sunggyu exclaimed, holding him back as he made a lunge at Key. “Woohyun, calm down – okay?”

“No!” Woohyun retorted. “He’s been hurting the babies, are you joking?! And for his own benefit, that traitor!”

Sunggyu kept a firm grip on him. “Okay, but we’re not going to attack him. Clear?”

With a grunt, Woohyun threw Sunggyu’s arms off of him and glared at Key and Arisa. “Get out,” he growled. “Before I call the police.”

They didn’t need any more words spoken to them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“They didn’t even look scared of you.”

Woohyun shook his head. “They weren’t. They thought I was a joke. They only left because I threatened to call the police on them. You could still see that smug look in Kibum’s eyes though.”

Sunggyu sat down next to him. They were in the locker room. Key’s locker had been cleared in haste. Woohyun was sipping on a juice box while holding Sunggyu’s hand for support.

“I thought you knew Kibum,” Sunggyu murmured confusedly.

Woohyun scoffed. “Clearly, not well enough. I mean, I know I usually spend all my time with Sungyeol. But I assumed Kibum and I were on good terms. But I guess that wasn’t the case. I couldn’t even see him stirring up trouble under my own nose, damn it.”

Sunggyu massaged his shoulder warmly. “Hey, but at the very least, he’s gone now. And so is that Arisa girl. And they can’t make up false stuff about this place anymore.”

“I’m still calling the police on them,” Woohyun muttered around the straw in his mouth. “You can bet your money that I’m reporting them.” He snorted humorlessly. “He did it for the money, is he kidding me? What kind of cruel joke is that?”

“It’s okay,” Sunggyu whispered to him, kissing his forehead. “Everything’s going to be okay now.”

“Will it?” Woohyun replied under his breath. “Key’s gone but… I feel like things aren’t going to be the same.”

Sunggyu looked up in thought. “Well, let’s count all the positives. Hoya’s name was cleared, he and Dongwoo went on a date, Myungsoo and Sungyeol made up, and I found a sensitive spot on you.” He tickled his fingers over the nape of Woohyun’s neck.

Woohyun giggled as he shivered at Sunggyu’s touch. He smiled softly. “I guess you’re right… I wonder if things really will get better.”

Sunggyu smiled at him and told him, “Woohyun. Sometimes you need to stop wondering, and just believe.” 


 

 

( A/N ) : 

whoaaaa, the truth was revealed!!
i had planned for it to be key this whole time, but maybe my hints were too sublte ahaha ><

but there you have it! criminal is revealed and will be taken care of, according to woohyun! 

woogyu are fluffy, yadong are getting started and myungyeol are back together! what a great combination! that means there's only about one chapter left to wrap things up!!! :(( maybe two if i feel the need. but it's definitely ending very quickly!! 

i hope you liked this update, leave a comment down below to tell me what you think!! ^^ and until next chapter!

~ Quinnie
ask.fm | twitter