Chapter 4

Counting Petals

"Detention for you because you skipped class." Mr. Choi handed Luhan a slip of paper with a frown on his face.

"Mr. Choi, I-"

"No excuses. I don't care what you did during the time when you were supposed to be in my class. Sweep all the leaves in the school compound. I'm watching you." Mr. Choi answered sternly. Luhan lowered his eyes and bit his lips.

See, Luhan had decided on heading to the school library because he has nothing to do during lunch and Chen was absent from school. However, Luhan was so engrossed in reading that he didn't notice that it was time for Mr. Choi's class. However, when he sprinted back to class, Mr. Choi's lesson, all he got was five words.

"Meet me when school ends."

Well, Luhan obviously did not do it on purpose. Luhan forced himself to not sigh, bowed and walked away with his head down, heading towards the school cafeteria.

---

"What's with the sad look on your face?"

Luhan looked up to see Lay's worried face. He shrugged, and went back to eating.

"Did you get detention?" Lay asked as he took a seat in front of Luhan. He watched as Luhan nodded his head slowly. Luhan started chewing on his food nervously. Was Lay going to say something like, "Ha, I knew it. It was expected." or was Lay going to mock him? Luhan suddenly felt a little numb and stared at his food, his face a little sullen. 

"Come on, cheer up. It's not like the world's going to end. Did Mr. Choi tell you to sweep the leaves? I'll help you with that." Lay smiled at Luhan softly. Lay ed a spoonful of rice in his mouth and tilted his head upwards to see Luhan's eyes wide. 

"How did you know that?" Something in Luhan's heart surges, and suddenly, he felt warm.

"Dude, Mr. Choi always gives that for detention." Lay laughed, and somehow, it was a sweet sound to Luhan.

"Thanks for helping me." The corner of Luhan's lips turned up.

---

Amber-tinted clouds dotted the blue sky as the sun shone brightly, heating up the land quickly. It was as if the sun was merciless because Luhan had been punished. Luhan and Lay trudged towards the school foyer with brooms in their hands. Soon, they proceeded to sweeping.

After what seemed like ten minutes, Luhan felt a light thud on his back. He turned around to see crescents moons under Lay's eyes and a smile plastered on his face.

"You know, sweeping's more fun like this!" Lay joked. Before Luhan could even move, a pile of leaves were showering his face. Dazed, Luhan blinked a few times. He then smirked and grabbed a handful of leaves before aiming it at Lay's face. Pouting, Lay did the same. For a split second, Luhan thought that Lay's pout was adorable. Like adorable. 

"You're not allowed to do that to me!" Lay folded his arms in a childish way. Luhan chuckled and folded his arms. 

"Why not?"

"Because you can't." Lay looked away. Luhan rolled his eyes jokingly and grabbed another handful of leave just when he was tackled by Lay. The next thing Luhan knew was that he had his chest pressed against the floor, Lay's chest against his back, and that Lay was pinning him down. Lay's laughter filled the air.

Luhan stopped breathing for a full minute. What on earth was happening to him? Was he really together with Lay, or was it just a dream? A dream filled with happiness and laughter? Even if it was a dream, Luhan wanted it to last. Time seemed to pass slower and Luhan started to appreciate and enjoy the time he had with Lay. Luhan had been wanting this for like, half his life. There were times when Luhan imagined himself with Lay but smacked himself after that. 

It was after fifteen minutes that Luhan stopped laughing and realised that he couldn't breathe properly. "Lay, I'm sorry, but I can't breathe properly." Lay gasped and immediately got off Luhan.

"Thanks." Luhan stood up and brushed some leaves off his uniform. Looking up, he made an eye-contact with Lay. Feeling a little awkward, Lay cleared his throat. The both of them looked at anywhere but each other. 

"Your tie's crooked. May I help you with it?"

Luhan blinked for a few seconds before nodding. Wait, he wasn't even aware that he had nodded. What on Earth? Luhan's breath hitched as Lay took a step towards Luhan. It was awkward for Luhan, of course, especially since they were so close that their bodies almost touched. Luhan just didn't know where to look. Lay's face was just in front of his, and if Lay just tripped...

What on earth were you thinking, Luhan? He almost knocked himself on the head. That would never happen. Never. Luhan decided to just fix his eyes on Lay's hair. Soft-looking, brown locks were covering his forehead slightly. 

"It's done. We should get back to sweeping." Lay smiled sheepishly while rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry for the tackling."

"No! It's fine. Really," Luhan assured. Luhan turned to pick up the broom on the floor, but almost immediately, he felt something brush against his waist. Luhan spun around with eyes narrowed. 

"I'm sorry! There were some leaves on your uniform and I was just..." Lay drifted off and looked down at the floor. He wringed his fingers anxiously. Lay was starting to have pink-tinted cheeks without knowing. Out of the blue, Lay saw Luhan's hand on his.

"Don't do that to your fingers. And, it's fine. I was just shocked, that's all." Luhan smiled and without waiting for Lay's reply, he began sweeping.

Little did Luhan know that happiness was filling Lay's heart, and Lay returned his smile.

---

"Do you want to go for a cup of coffee? I have some assignments to complete." Lay stuffed his hands into the pocket of his pants. A breeze whipped through them as they strolled out of the school.

"Sure. Why not? A cup of coffee would be nice."

---

"So you like Americino, huh?" Lay sipped his warm coffee. Luhan nodded and reached into his bag for his assignments. Just as Lay opened his book, an idea came up to him and he smiled mischievously. "Hey, Luhan. Do you mind teaching me how you solve this question?" What Lay got was Luhan with eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"Are you sure you don't know how to solve it? You're a smart student!"

Lay bit his lips. "Just... Teach me. I'm not confident about my answer, actually. And you're one of the top five in class for Mathematics!" Nervousness filled Lay's heart because he was afraid that Luhan would reject him. However, to Lay's surprise, Luhan actually bought it.

"Alright, if you say so. Let's start." 

---

Lay had to admit (to himself) that he was lying because all he wanted to do was to stare at Luhan's pretty little face without getting caught. As the bus arrives at its stop, and Luhan had to alight, Lay's heart sank.

"See you tomorrow." Luhan waved and Lay did the same. Lay watched Luhan's back as Luhan headed towards the door and disappears after that. He slumps in his seat and watched as Luhan started strolling out of the bus stop. Music blasted in Lay's ears as Lay forced himself to look out the window. 

The bus soon left the stop, and Lay had to tell himself to cheer up.

---

The moonlight shone through the window of the room and casted some shadows on the floor. The light breeze knocked lightly against the window as if it was seeking permission to enter the room. The pot of rose stood still on the study table.

Just as its owner opened the door to the room, four of its bloody red petals fell off, dancing in the air for a few seconds before landing lightly on the table.