Chapter 2

Counting Petals

Luhan propped his hand onto his balled fist. History class was boring as usual. He tried his best not to yawn and stared straight ahead, pretending that he was listening to Mr. Choi, his History teacher. However, Luhan's mind soon wandered off into his own world and zoned out...

Luhan thought about the bus ride with Lay the day before. He remembered clearly how he placed a hand over his heart but quickly pulled his hand back when Lay was looking. At first, there was an awkward silence, but after a while, Lay decided to listen to some music and took out his earplugs. Stuffing one of the earplugs in his ear, he clumsily tried to stuff the other one into Luhan's ear. Luhan then laughed a little and did it by himself while Lay just shot the older a sheepish smile. Lay then keyed the passcode and played some music.

Luhan was feeling sad when he realised that he the bus was going to reach the street across his house, which meant that Luhan had to alight. Lay, however, still had quite a long way to go. Lay offered to walk Luhan home though, but Luhan thought that it was late and Lay's parents might be worrying. It was kind of true though Lay was eighteen. Well, there are lots of kidnappers out there, right? Maybe not lots, but you get the idea.

Something sparked in Luhan's heart. He had a feeling that the situation was changing. Was Lay being more caring to him? Or was Luhan thinking too much? Luhan made a mental note to count the number of petals of his rose when he reached home.

Luhan did not know what was happening until Chen nudged him. Luhan's eyes immediately widened as he sat up straighter.

"Mr. Choi asked if you were paying attention," Chen whispered softly.

"Yes, Mr. Choi," Luhan answered, biting his lips a little nervously. Luhan was a shy person. With the whole class staring right at him, it wasn't helping. Luhan tried to ignore the stares of his classmates as he tried focusing on how to not get a detention or offence slip from Mr. Choi. The teacher narrowed his eyes at the student, but didn't say anything and decided to continue with the lesson.

Lay turned back and stared at Luhan, whom was sitting at the back of the class with Chen. Was Luhan thinking about the day before? He didn't know. He quickly turned around and listened to Mr. Choi.

---

"Luhan! Could you help me take my guitar in the Music Studio? Sorry, man. I have to see Mr. Kang. I'll treat you to something later!"

School was finally over and Luhan was tired. Unfortunately, the last lesson for that day was Physical Education or gym Class, and Luhan's whole shirt was wet from playing his favourite sport, Soccer. At first, he thought that he could sit and rest for a while, until Chen had a request. Of course, Luhan couldn't say no to Chen, though Chen's face was filled with a little uneasiness. Chen knew that he should be responsible for his own guitar and he shouldn't be bothering his bestfriend.

"I'll take it for you. Don't worry," Luhan assured and offered a smile.

"Thank you so much!" Chen's eyes twinkled as he rushed towards Luhan with his arms open wide. The next thing Luhan knew was that Chen was hugging him. The smell of Chen's perspiration filled Luhan's nostrils.

"Sorry, man, you stink." Luhan said after Chen released him and Luhan tried his best not to laugh. However, Chen plainly laughed and shrugged it off. He opened his bag and took out the can of air purifier he always brought. After he sprayed it on himself, he threw it to Luhan. Fortunately, Luhan was able to catch it because if he didn't, it would hit him right in the face.

Luhan gaped in disbelief. Chen hadn't changed at all. Since the start of high school, Chen had always preferred air purifier than cologne. Chen hated the smell of cologne, but loved the smell air purifier. "Seriously? You're still using air purifier?"

"Says the person who doesn't even spray some nice smelling stuff onto himself and goes home smelling bad." Chen crossed his arm and stared at Luhan. Luhan could only laugh at himself. It wasn't long before he sprayed some air purifier on his shirt and inhaled the scent.

"I've to go now. I think I'll be in trouble if I'm late." Chen start jogging towards the Teachers' Staff Room.

"Have a fun time with Mr. Kang!" Luhan commented sarcastically. He then laughed as Chen turned around and jogged backwards, shouting something about whether Luhan was serious and that it was not funny. Mr. Kang was a fierce teacher. Luhan started laughing hysterically at Chen. 

And it wasn't until Chen almost tripped over his own leg. 

---

In order to go to the Music Studio, Luhan had to walk pass the Dance Studio. However, when Luhan did so, he heard some muffled groans from inside. Thoughts ran through his mind. What was happening? Did someone needed help, or was it just someone making out? Maybe... Maybe he should peek for, like, 3 seconds just to be safe that no one needed help.

Nervous but curious, Luhan pushed open the door and stepped into the music studio, only to see Lay lying down on the floor. Lay was clutching his waist tightly as cold drops of perspiration dripped down the side of his face. He was also groaning in pain and his eyes were squeezed shut. Luhan gasped a little and ran to Lay's side, of course.

"Lay! Are you alright? Should I send you to the nurse?" Luhan asked, panicking because he didn't really know what to do in this kind of situation. No, scratch that. He totally didn't know what to do, since he has never met this.

The smell of air purifier filled the surroundings. Lay shook his head furiously and opened his eyes to find Luhan staring at him with concerned, wide eyes. He swallowed and took in a deep breath. "I have pills in my bag. Can you help me take it?"

Luhan spun around scanned the studio for Lay's bag. As soon as he saw it, he used his hands to push himself off the ground and made a sprint for it.

Luhan was so frantic that he almost poured all the contents of the bag out. He opened this zip and that. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Luhan found the pack of pills. He also grabbed the bottle of water and started running towards where Lay was lying.

"Here." Luhan popped a pill into Lay's mouth which he took out from the pack. His fingers shook a little as they touched Lay's lips. Luhan shook the thought away. He shouldn't be thinking about Lay's lips at all. While helping Lay sit up, he remembered about Chen's guitar. He quickly uncapped the bottle and slowly poured water into Lay's slightly opened mouth.

"I'll go get Chen's guitar and be back real quick." Luhan shot a quick smile at Lay, turned around and ran just as Lay opened his mouth to say something.

---

"Are you sure you feel better? Should I send you home? Wait... Where do you live?"

As soon as Luhan came back with Chen's guitar, Lay was fired with endless questions that he didn't even have time to open his mouth and answer.

"I can go home by myself. You probably need to rush home right? It's okay, I'm fine by myself. Thank you." Lay smiled gratefully at Luhan. He was happy for Luhan's help. If it wasn't for Luhan, Lay would have most probably fainted or he would have to wait for the school janitor to find him before the janitor locked the door for the Dance Studio.

Luhan shook his head, though. "I'll help you flag a cab."

---

Luhan side-hugged Lay and together, the both of them walked slowly to the school gate, where Luhan helped Lay flag a cab. After a while, a cab stopped in front of them.

"Where would you like to go?"

"Go wherever he tells you to. And keep the change." Luhan immediately drew out a ward of cash and ed it into the driver's hands. The driver's eyes widened a little, shocked at how simply Luhan told him to keep the change. Lay's mouth hung open in disbelief.

"I... Thank you so much, Luhan," Lay said and swallowed. Luhan had helped him so much and Lay just didn't know how to express how thankful he was at that moment.

"You're welcome. Reach home safely." Luhan smiled at Lay, his eyes turning into crescents. He slammed the cab's door shut and waved as the cab drove off. Lay, of course, smiled while showing his dimples and waved back.

---

"Hey, Chen. This is Lay. May I know what Luhan likes? Like, food or something?"