Prologue

Counting Petals

"Luhan! Don't you need to go to school? Do you want me to roll out a red carpet for you or kick you out of the house?" Luhan's father bellowed. 

Luhan was completely dressed in his uniform, totally ready for school. However, he just blinked a few times and continued staring dreamily at the new pot of rose he had, turning a deaf ear on his father. See, when he went to a florist to buy a present for Chen the day before, the pot of rose had somehow caught his attention. The florist even told him about how rare and special it was. The words rang in his ears, like church bells chiming at a wedding.

"The day that all the petals of the rose fall will be the day that the person you like or love confesses to you. However, that will only happen if you truly believe in it. If the pot of rose withers after a year, it means that the both of you were not meant to be together."

Luhan's head snapped up when he heard storming footsteps belonging to his father. He gasped a little, knowing that he was going to get into trouble. Indeed, just as Luhan thought, his father rushed into the room with a large leather belt. His face was red with fury, and he was like a wrestler ready to fight. "Aren't you going to school? I've worked so hard to raise you up after your mother passed away, and this is how you repay me?" Luhan's father demanded in a deep, warning voice. Seeing his father;s tight grip on the leather belt, Luhan shivered. 

The next thing Luhan knew was that there was a sharp pain at his arm. Tears welled up in Luhan's eyes, threatening to spill out of his eyes. No, Luhan told himself. He was definitely not going to cry. If he cried, it meant losing the battle. His father would be happy, enjoying the process and Luhan himself would receive more of the belt.

Luhan's heart palpitated in fear. He scanned the room for his bag and found it beside the door of his bedroom. Mentally prepared, he took a deep breath before making a mad dash to the door and grabbed his bag. Flying out of his house, Luhan quickly slipped on his shoes and the next minute, he disappeared into thin air, ignoring the shrieks of his annoyed father.

---

"Happy birthday! Bought this for you, man," Luhan announced happily as he pulled out a nicely decorated paper bag from his own bag and tossed it gently to Chen.

Luhan and Chen were the best of friends. They seemed so close to each other like they were brothers. Every morning, the both of them would meet under a maple tree in the school garden before going to class. And that was exactly what they were doing.

Chen narrowed his eyes at Luhan. He didn't really trust Luhan. Chen still remembered that in sixth grade, he had received a birthday present from Luhan. However, as soon as he saw its content, he got the shock of his life. It was a dead cockroach. And that was what Chen was scared of. Automatically, Chen opened his mouth and screamed just as his teacher walked into the class. And the next thing he knew, a detention slip was shoved in his face. Chen sulked and ignored Luhan for a whole week until Luhan started to break open his locker and throw papers with his apologies into it. Chen thought that it was horrible, since it took him a whole afternoon to get all the papers out of his locker.

Curious, Chen peeped into the paper bag.and his mouth formed an 'O'. He was awed by the beautiful present. Surprisingly, it was a small pot of four-leaved Clover. "This is exactly what I need!" Chen exclaimed in joy and hugged Luhan tightly.

Of course Chen needed it. Chen had always believed that four-leaved Clovers would bring a person luck. Chen was a mischievous boy. Sometimes, he would put a fake rubber lizard into his classmate's bag and watch thier scared expressions while snickering. He was a troller and at times, a troublemaker. Why did Luhan became Chen's good friend? That is a good question.

It all started in fifth grade when Chen happened to be walking to class with his head down.Unintentionally, he bumped into Luhan and the poor boy landed on his on the floor. Just as Chen helped Luhan up to his feet again, he realized that there were lots of scars on his legs which looked like they were canestrokes. Chen then pulled Luhan to a staircase near his own class and started questioning him like a counsellor.

Chen was the only one whom understood Luhan's situation, and Luhan was the only one whom would laugh wholeheartedly at Chen's jokes, at times, even Chen's lame attempt to cheer him up whenever he was feeling down.

Ever since that day, Chen would keep some extra medication in his bag just in case Luhan needed it. Chen was really caring after all.

"Get off me now, Chen. You're acting, right?" Luhan said and laughed a little. Chen gasped. He placed his hand on his chest and feigned hurt.

"I was serious. How could you say that?"

"No, you're not."

"Oh, look! It's Lay!" Chen exclaimed. Luhan's cheeks instantly pinked. Slowly, he looked up.

Lay was indeed walking pass Chen and Luhan. Lay's hair followed the direction of the light breeze and Lay's face was almost glowing. Beside Lay was Kris and they seemed to be chatting happily. Luhan's heart melted at the sight of Lay's sweet smile and laughter. For a moment, Luhan thought that Lay had glanced at him for a split second, then turned away. Was he dreaming? That eye-contact... 

He could feel Chen nudging him, but he chose to ignore it. Luhan knew what Chen was thinking. He wanted Luhan to confess. However, Luhan's heart ached a little. He could tell that he was feeling jealous. He was jealous of Kris, whom was close with Lay. Luhan wished that he could be in Kris' place.

If only he was. And if he wasn't so shy.