Humans

Fighting Rumors

 

 

 

I didn't know if I should put this, but decided to play it safe. There are mentions of suicide in ways that may be offensive; but I just want to emphasize that this is my mythical world where there are wizards like Key who can solve all matters for us just so easily, so this is not a direct representation of our real world (if that wasn't already clear with the Dragons and the Wizards). 


 

 

 

 

"Wh-what do you mean?" Jinki asked wide-eyed, both frightened and confused. 

 

"Exactly what I said!" Key shrugs nonchalantly. "Any wish you'd like - hell, all of them wishes you have! I've have granted wishes for people who wanted to find power and fame, people who wanted to be rich, even people who wanted loved ones back alive! I'm the Almighty Key after all! Your wish is my command."

 

Jinki thinks about it for a moment, twisting his face up in different expressions of confusion and worry. After a long moment of silence from his side, Jinki asks the most pressing question on his mind. "But why...? Wh-what is it in for you?" Key, the wizard, simply laughs. 

 

"It's interesting, that's why," Key states. Before Jinki could ask, Key continues to explain. "Humans - that is; the way humans think, the things that humans desire when at the brink of death are interesting. The things that humans believe would change their lives around from wanting to die to living in complete bliss - it's absolutely fascinating." 

 

"And do they...?" Jinki dared to ask after another pause. "...find happiness after, I mean." 

 

"Hmmm..." Key seemed to ponder, hesitating to answer for the first time in their conversation. "Depending on their wishes, some do. That's why I find it so enthralling to listen to the wishes some people make. Some waste away their chances while others really do know what their heart truly desires." 

 

Jinki takes the time to think for a while, and Key seemed to have the patience of a thousand monks. "This could change my life entirely, isn't that right?" Jinki finally whispers in deep thought. Key whistles, having returned to the big cauldron of mixture while waiting for Jinki to make a decision. 

 

"Well, it could if you'd let it; or it wouldn't if you don't want it to. It all lies in your hands, human," Key said ambiguously. 

 

"H-how long can I think this over?" Jinki asked timidly, afraid the wizard may blow up at such a request; but Key only shrugged. 

 

"As long as that desire is there to end your life, you can return to me; I have no interest in those who have already found their happiness through their own means. Take it as charity - would you give your money freely to the rich? But only remember, the wishes I grant, cannot be undone by my own hands. Whatever the consequences of your wishes, you have to bear the responsibilities of them all," Key explained firmly. 

 

"A-and I'll be able to find you again?" Jinki asked. He didn't want to lose this chance of a lifetime to a stupid mistake of wanting to be careful. 

 

"Just call my name, and tell me you're ready," Key turned around and inched the edges of their lips upwards. "Available at your service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year," Key promoted with a wink and then a ballerina's curtsy. When Key straightened up, all playfulness was gone from his expressions. 

 

"Walk out that door, and you'll find yourself back home to the morning before anything had happened. No one would know of me nor your incident at the field; no one would believe you anyway. Just another thing to note. If you do anything else to kill yourself this time, there will be no second chances. I have made my offer, and I will not have to repeat myself. There is a limit to my charity," Key asserted firmly. 

 

"Key, the wizard...?" Jinki called hesitantly with respect, a new puzzling fact entering his thoughts as he carefully stood from the bed amidst all the strange containers. "Do you offer this chance to all those who seeks death?" 

 

"I do," Key replies with dignity and pride. 

 

"Why are there still people who commit suicide then? Wouldn't they have taken your offer?" Jinki questioned in curiosity and slight suspicion. Key, the wizard stiffened and a heavy silence blanketed the room. A twist of what seemed to be anger snarled across their expression. 

 

"Humans..." Key finally replied in a stern tone. "They need to learn to take responsibility for the things they acquire. Some make wrong wishes that I cannot help undo; and they do not want to make the effort to undo. Instead of putting down their egos to admit their wrongs, they'd rather die - and die they do. Others are curious creatures - they are happy with the wishes they've made, but in time they grow greedy once more; they end up chasing a happiness that is not there, ruining the once happy life they could have had. Humans... They always ask what they do not have, what they need more for a perfect life - but what they do not see, is what they already do have."

 

Unbeknownst to Jinki, Key, the wizard, had already given him the answer to happiness - the only right answer to making a wish that may bring him true happiness in all its simplicity. 

 

How many people would actually make this wish - to be able to appreciate the things they have and not complain about the things they do not? How many people would think to wish for eternal happiness over the temptations of being wealthy and powerful? Humans were born to be greedy creatures because of their conflicting emotions and analytical minds. Sometimes, your biggest strengths may just turn into your worst weaknesses as well. 

 

Sure, there were times when money could solve some problems like building a roof over their heads and having food to eat; but money couldn't give them happiness at the end of the day. Key, the wizard had understood this aspect, knowing that humans needed some material things to survive, but other simpler things were needed to be happy - so Key gives them all the wishes they could possibly need. Yet, hearing this proposition usually made humans all the more greedy for material things. 

 

All the wishes! Imagine the endless possibilities, they could become the richest person, the greatest achiever, the smartest person... But they do not become the happiest. They return to Key with long lists of wishes who fulfills them without question. But sometimes, having multiple wishes contradict and clash with each other, ending only with a horrible disaster as a product. 

 

 


 

 


I don't know why this turned out to be all psychological and philosophical really. I really didn't know what I was typing towards the end. A short chapter, but I didn't want to cut it into half to the next scene so yea. Till next time, ciaos.