The First Haunt

Here, Not There

Namjoo felt everything, every little bit of emotion inside her flush down the drain and her blood ran cold. She could see her little classmates staring at her horrified. Their eyes read of fear and revulsion. The way their eyes sharpened because they’d widened, the way their lips contorted; Namjoo could read all of it.

No one would ever come near her. They would talk about her back, call her names, and detest her.

All she could feel was the quick of her blood pulsating, running through her veins coursing through her body as each heartbeat caused her vision to shake. Without realizing, Xiumin removed his one hand from her shoulder swiveling her around to lead her away with a hand at her back.

Namjoo blankly followed; her heartbeat still deep and drumming in her ears. When the buildings loomed by again she could hear herself screaming just seconds ago.

The urge to bury herself somewhere hit her.

Shame, embarrassment, and contempt for this ability swirled in a greater number inside her chest. She always hated this. Why had it been her? If she was normal…she just wanted to be normal…

Suddenly conscious again she pulled out from Xiumin.

“Where are you going?” She heard him call out.

A hot wave of emotions of loss, confusion, and frustration bombarded her. Stopping in her tracks she pressed her lips together and gritted her teeth.

“Just leave me alone.” She grumbled.

She took a step forward, but was brought to a quick halt when she heard his footsteps behind her. Twisting around angry that he was stepping into her space she blew up at him.

“I said leave me alone!” She raised her voice, glaring at him.

Without focusing her eyes on him she swiveled back around, quickened her steps, and headed toward the Queen’s Quarters where she knew no one would bother her.

+++

“I told you she’s weird,” Hee Sun whispered. “She’s crazy. I don’t know why she’s allowed out here like this.”

“Can she harm us?”

“Didn’t I say…”

Luhan turned over to them, “Hey, cut it out.”

Hee Sun looked startled. Collecting herself from the sudden shot down she glanced around before walking over to him while the girl she’d been speaking to watched.

“I saw you two talking earlier,” Hee Sun started. “Why were you talking to her?”

Luhan somewhat cheerily smiled as he answered, “The same reason why you gossip about her. She’s interesting.”

Hee Sun’s immediate brows fell flat as he walked away.

Indeed, maybe he did think she was interesting. He thought she had humor she didn’t know about. Their little interview that morning made him feel enthusiastic to be there. Although what had just happened a few seconds ago had shocked him, he didn’t believe that that was all that described her. She seemed rather hard working and persistent rather than just weird and crazed as Hee Sun described her.

Judging immediately wasn’t in his field. Since they were bound to work together the following months he’d wait till they next talked in order to decipher what kind of person she really was.

As he supervised the dance routines, picked up the incoming costumes and music, greeted the dancers, and helped clean the area he didn’t see Namjoo anywhere. He did see Xiumin walking around speaking with other supervisors and that was it. After dinner preparations he left the noisy atmosphere to go wash up, but stopped himself before entering the King’s Quarters.

Walking around the building brought into his view the Queen’s Quarters. The lone building looked distant even though it was less than two minutes away.

Seconds later he found himself staring up at the building identical to the King’s Quarters. The building resonated off dark cool air. Due to the perseverance of the historical features of the palace electrical lights had not been installed. It was quiet and not a light shone in from inside. He wasn’t sure whether Namjoo was inside or not, but he slid the door open anyway.

An eerie flat hallway met with him as he stared inside. The glowing sunlight from outside helped infiltrate the building offering light into the dark so that he at least saw what was ahead of him. Stepping in he peered around, peeking into every room he passed before nearing the two larger doors at the end. Sliding them open brought Namjoo into sight. With knees high up to her chest she had her eyes closed while sitting against the wall in the dark.

Luhan took in the unexpected sight before raising his hand to lightly hit his knuckles against the wall, announcing his presence. Her eyes fluttered open very slowly, but she didn’t seem to look his way. Curving his lips into a soft smile he stepped in and looked around.

“You’re pretty brave,” he walked in and searched around for one of the gas lanterns, “to stay in the dark like this.”

Discovering it by the windowsill beside a lighter he carefully lit a tiny flame before covering it with the glass lid. Carrying it over with him he walked over and sat down somewhat beside her, setting the lantern in front of them. Shadows of the flame flickered across the walls like a campfire eating at the wind.

Namjoo turned her face away slightly when he turned to glance at her.

“You aren’t hungry?” He started.

“Do you want something?” Namjoo ignored his question.

Deciding not yet to pushed off he pulled an encouraging smile on, “Hee Sun usually speaks without thinking. I apologize for that.”

He couldn’t tell whether she took his words sincerely or if she was upset that he’d spoken on behalf of Hee Sun’s good will. A spiteful smile lifted itself onto Namjoo’s face and he thought she sort of rolled her eyes.

“Sure,” Namjoo bluntly nodded her head and turned to him. “I was always told I was strange anyway. I feel much better, thank you.”

He browsed her face empathetically, “I don’t think you’re weird.”

The flame from the lantern sparked in her eyes before she turned away again.

“Really,” he added as if to assure her he was saying the truth. Then deciding not to be a bother anymore he stood, “Come out and eat, I’ll wait for you.”

+++

Namjoo hadn’t come out for dinner. He’d thought to leave her alone, but he realized Namjoo would probably choose not to show herself if she had the freedom to do as she liked. Before gathering his share of dinner he piled up some food onto a plate and grabbed a bottle of water. Skipping lunch would have her starving by now and he’d feel sorry for her stomach.

As he neared the Queen’s Quarters he slowly stopped in his tracks when the front doors opened and he sighted Luhan walking down the steps. He turned to watch the program coordinator walk away from the building before turning to peer at it. Shoving aside his curiosity he walked into the Queen’s Quarters.

Namjoo was sitting inside quietly inside as he expected. Inviting himself in he set the food down in front of her.

Glancing down at her he said, “You didn’t come out to eat, so I brought you something.”

Namjoo looked at the plate before looking up at him, “Can you get someone to replace me? I don’t think I want to do this project, so let me go home.”

Xiumin understood that work didn’t work without emotions, but he didn’t get why she let it destroy her passion for it. He always thought she was more professional than that. Then again, he didn’t quite know her as well as he wanted.

“Why?” He asked. “Why do you care what they think about you? Does it really matter?”

Namjoo’s eyes immediately shot up to meet his offended.

“Yes,” she emphasized the word as if to express her subtle emotions angrily. “I care. Is there something wrong with that? You think it’s possible to walk around without noticing the looks they give me? That it hasn’t mattered at all? It’s only normal to care, why? I shouldn’t try to be normal? Then I should be strange, is that right?”

Namjoo always got so worked up so easily. He hadn’t even meant it that way.

“They don’t even know you, so why do you care what they think of you,” he said. “I’m not sending you home.”

Her eyes switched from him to some place in the emptiness.

Holding back a sigh he finished, “If anything happens, I’ll take care of it. Eat up and get some rest.”

+++

Eat up and get some rest…Namjoo snorted after Xiumin walked out. It was always so easy for him to put her down. Everything was so simple for him. Namjoo wanted to shoot her fist up into his cold face.

Of course, why would it matter to him what anyone said about his perfectness? No one would ever dare to snicker at him; there wasn’t even a reason to. He’d never understand how she felt. He didn’t even know how humiliated she was for screaming so manically like that earlier.

To shove down the boiling anger she was feeling she turned to stare at the food he’d brought her. Honestly, she wanted to throw it against the wall, but her stomach was so empty and she felt so sorry for it. So holding aside her childish emotions she reached over for it to find herself chowing the food down.

Minutes later she discovered herself lying on the ground beside her futon with the empty plate beside her. Satisfied from the meal she roved her hand over the small bump of her stomach and let out a burp.

She was in a much better mood, she thought, after that meal. Perhaps all she needed had been something to energize her, get her blood flowing. Suddenly recalling the coffee that morning Namjoo let out a regretful moan. She loved coffee, but had forgotten about it because of the damn vision. Xiumin wouldn’t probably ever buy her another one throughout her whole career again.

Turning and tossing against the hard floor unable to find a comfortable position she got up to walk off the calories. Now that it was late, everyone would be inside their residence halls prepping for sleep. A walk alone in the dark sounded like a peaceful dream.  

+++

Home?

Her only escape wanted to go home?

Impossible! It couldn’t’ happen!

Chorong turned to stare at the door, panic growing inside her. It was that girl again…that girl was going to drive any possible escape from her. That girl still wanted to take everything from her.

Hee Sun would never lay her hands down if she didn’t do something.

+++

Dinner had ben fulfilling, but Hee Sun wondered where Luhan disappeared off to. She wanted to finish talking to him about her trip to his homeland. Perhaps when he returned home after the ceremony she could go with him. Just thinking about it made her excited.

Ever since he’d been introduced as the new program director she’d been crushing on him since her freshman year at the school. She always took to greeting him enthusiastically and picked up happy talks with him, hoping it would carry her feelings through. Luhan replied quite optimistically and even her friends said he didn’t treat anyone else so.

Hee Sun really hoped he harbored the same salient feelings she had for him.

While the other girls had gone to flirt and remove their makeup Hee Sun had taken to traveling to the bath alone. She wanted to sink in the warm water and day dream a little before going to bed. The bath house was off in a secluded area near some wild trees, but she was in too much of a good mood to feel any sense of danger.

Setting the gas lantern on the floor at an angle so that the flame lit up the little hut she pulled out her bun, her hair trailing over her shoulders in what she deemed a y manner. And she thought if only Luhan saw her like this…

Pulling her robe loose she felt relaxation seep underneath her skin. Anticipation of the warm water soothing her skin made her yearn for a fresh cleanse, but as she pulled the string loose the little flame inside the gas lantern suddenly went out.

Surprised, she twisted to look around with her heart high in . Hee Sun’s eyes wavered to and fro as she tried to maintain her panic.

“Hello?” She called out.

The deathly silence answered back and she gulped. She hated the dark. Engulfed with quiet fear she dismissed the strange fact with how the flame inside the glass had died.

Stepping toward the little wooden door Hee Sun reached for it with her hand shaking, fearing for herself what might be on the other side. For certain she was alone inside the hut, so it was most likely someone outside playing the trick on her. When she found out who it was she’d certainly get her revenge.

Sensing movement to her right she turned to see the little paper window. A faint shadow seemed to slowly walk by outside before disappearing into the other side of the window. Grabbing the doorknob fearlessly she flung the door open and felt a wave of the cool night air splash against her face.

No one was there.

Her heart was now beating inside her ears, deafening all her senses.

“Hello!?” She called out more loudly this time. “If I find you, you’re going to be sorry. You better show yourself now!”

No one answered.

A whoosh of the wind called for her whishing past her ears. The sudden rustling of leaves on her left made her jump from paranoia and forgetting the gas lantern she dashed off into the distance. Very shortly after a few steps she bumped into something, screaming wildly from the surprise. Upon hearing a surprised grunt she quieted and gasping deeply for air recognized a shocked Namjoo staring back at her.

A quick rage flushed through her.

“You!” Hee Sun screamed loudly.

Namjoo frowned, staring back at her.

Lunging her hand out she grabbed Namjoo’s arm, pulling her forward, “It was you!”

“Excuse me?” Namjoo’s frowned deepened with confusion.

“So you think you can scare me,” Hee Sun accused. “This is your way of revenge, isn’t it? I didn’t think you’d be so shameless.”

Namjoo’s frown only seemed to inch further down her face and she struggled to free her arm from the girl’s hold. Frantic and upset, Hee Sun re-tightened her grasp refusing to let go.  

Pulling Namjoo forward again Hee Sun hissed, “I’m not going to forget this! You’re dirty! I was right about you! The Devil’s child! You’re going to regret doing this to me! You only came here for the ceremony because you knew I’d be here and you want to get back at me, don’t you? I’ve known you were crazy all along. I’m going to kick you out of here!”

Narrowing her eyes, Namjoo asked, “Are you crazy?”

“You’re the crazy one!” Hee Sun lashed out, her eyes wide.

“What’s going on?” A voice interrupted.

They both turned to see Xiumin standing not too far away, watching them both with a small frown.

Turning back to Namjoo Hee Sun accused, “You called him out here to gang up on me?”

A total confusion and irritancy blasted itself over Namjoo’s face.

Without waiting for further ado, Xiumin slowly stepped forward. Grabbing Hee Sun’s arm he ordered, “Let go.”

Hee Sun glared at the reporter, but turned to look behind Xiumin upon hearing footsteps.

“Luhan!” She shouted and letting go of Namjoo hurried over to cling onto his arm.

“What’s this? You’re still walking around?” Luhan questioned not aware that Xiumin and Namjoo were present.

Refusing to be swayed, she turned to glare in Namjoo’s direction; Luhan following her eyes. She wanted her justice first.

“She tried to hurt me!” Hee Sun cried. “Because I said a few words about her this morning, she got angry and tried to hurt me in the bath.”

Caught by the surprise, the frown fell from Namjoo’s face and Hee Sun snuck a smirk onto her face when even her boss turned to look at her for confirmation.