ChanKai

Sunday Morning Kisses: Side Stories

Since Chanyeol first returned his feelings, Jongin has wanted to marry him. After that realization, it was just a waiting game of how soon was too soon to propose. Even though Chanyeol’s always been the one taking the lead in the relationship, he doesn’t want to wait around and anxiously await a proposal. He knows what he wants and he’s going for it.

Admittedly, he’s a bit of a romantic, so he picks to propose on Chanyeol’s birthday, which gives him enough time to save up for a decent ring. He can’t really afford that much on an intern’s salary, and he knows that Chanyeol wouldn’t expect something expensive. But he can only imagine the kind of ring Chanyeol could afford and wants to buy something comparable.

So, he works longer hours and takes on work that no body else wants. And that in addition to preparing for his first real exhibit along his mentor’s more prominent works, has him working almost 24 hours, and he barely has any time to spend with his boyfriend. But it’s all worth it when he walks into the jewelry store and finally exchanges two months worth of salary for the ring he’d been looking at for half a year.

Somehow, the day of his first exhibit falls on Chanyeol’s birthday, which cuts into his plans a little but doesn’t cancel them. The exhibit’s only an hour long, so he makes reservations for afterwards and tucks the ring box away in the pocket of his blazer.

At this point he hasn’t seen his boyfriend in almost a week, and when Chanyeol finally walks into the crowded building, he has to stop himself from shoving people out of the way to greet him. Instead, he just shoots him a smile and turns his attention back to the woman asking about his photographs.

When he’d first been approached by his mentor and offered a small exhibition, he had no idea what he wanted to show. As an upcoming professional photographer, he would usually have a roll of film to develop each week, random pictures he would take throughout his daily routine. When approached about displaying a collection, he’d drove himself crazy looking through everyone of his rolls trying to find if any of them had a common theme. But after only one glance through his full portfolio, his mentor immediately pulls out several pictures that either contains Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, or both. He’s never actually asked his boyfriend to pose for him, as he already does that all day. But he finds that even when Chanyeol’s watching television or playing around with Kyungsoo, he’s just naturally beautiful, and he can’t help but capture a few candid photos for his own personal use.

Showing off the pictures he intended to keep private has him feeling a little uncomfortable, but his mentor tells him that the more uncomfortable he is with showing photographs, the more personal and raw they are, and the more impact they have. He hasn’t told Chanyeol that his entire exhibit is basically dedicated to him, so he tries to watch his face to gauge his reaction as he approaches.

“So?” he asks nervously as Chanyeol’s eyes scan over each of the photographs.

“Well, I didn’t expect for it to be me,” he replies.

Jongin’s suddenly very nervous and starts to wring his hands together. “I know I didn’t tell you, but I wanted it to be a surprise, but maybe I should have told you because this kind of puts you on the spot and if it were me-“

Chanyeol cuts him off with a soft peck on his lips. “You have no reason to be shy and insecure around me. Your photographs are wonderful, and I’m honored and flattered that you would make your first exhibit about me. I love you.”

If Chanyeol’s arms hadn’t somehow found their way around his waist, he’s sure that he would be a pile on the floor. The few people standing around them comment on that Chanyeol’s more handsome in person and wonder how Jongin got him to agree to be in his photographs, but all Jongin can hear is his boyfriend telling him how proud he is of him.

“Will you marry me?” he blurts out. All his meticulous plans are immediately thrown out the window when he looks in Chanyeol’s eyes and can see for himself how much he’s loved. And really what other perfect time is there to propose than right there at his first exhibit dedicated to the man he loves?

The people standing close enough to hear them gasp at the proposal and stop to watch the couple. Chanyeol, to, is obviously surprised and pulls back slightly to look at Jongin. “Are you serious?” Jongin nods and pulls his bottom lip between his teeth, suddenly fearful that Chanyeol will say no. His fear increases when Chanyeol starts chuckling.

“Is… is something funny?” He starts to pull away completely, but Chanyeol holds him a little tighter.

“I thought that if I asked you to marry me before your internship was over, you’d say no so you could concentrate on your work. So, I’m a little surprised that you’re asking me first.”

“Hyung, I really need you to give me an answer so I don’t die of anticipation.”

“Of course I will, Jongin.” Jongin lets out a huge sigh of relief and leans into Chanyeol as all his nervousness melts away and his heart is beating so fast that he feels as if it might explode. “Sooo do I get a ring?”

Jongin pulls away from Chanyeol to reach for the ring. “Oh! God, I was so nervous about the answer that I forget to use the ring. “I’m sorry.” He turns a little red, but Chanyeol assures him that it’s fine as Jongin fumbles with opening the box. His hands are shaking so much from how ecstatic he is that he manages to drop the box and apologizes again as he picks it up and finally slides the ring on Chanyeol’s finger.

They’re finally broken out of their little world when patrons around them begin a light applause, which draws the attention of everyone around them who flock over to see what’s going on.

The next morning, there’s an online newspaper blurb about the exhibit, which pegs it as an exciting display of the world-renown photographer. There’s no mention of Jongin’s little exhibition as he has yet to make a name for himself, but even then, Jongin considers his first exhibition to be his most successful.


Just a little something for you as I write two versions of their wedding :)