Chapter 8:

Pieces of Time

    When I walked into school, Hyuk wasn’t there to greet me as he usually is. I thought it weird since he never misses a day and he promised me in freshman year that he’d always greet me the first thing. When I arrived in my classroom, I found him falling asleep on his desk. A small smile formed on my face as I walked over to him. I could hear him snoring a bit and I couldn’t help but laugh.


    I sat down and watched his tired and sleep cloaked face in silence for a few minutes, admiring his features. His nose, his lips, his eyes. Everything looked so perfect. I sighed and turned away, putting my head in my hand, leaning on the desk. I thought about how it was the fourth quarter in the year and high school would be over before we knew it. I wondered if I would see Hyuk again after we both left for college. Then I pushed that thought away. Of course, I’d see Hyuk. Plus, the college he said he would be going to wasn’t too far from mine.


    Suddenly, he woke up and broke me from my thoughts. He rubbed his swollen eyes and yawned. He blinked a bit before noticing I was there. 
    “Hyung, you should have woken me up.” He muttered, once again rubbing his eyes. 


    “It’s not my fault you fell asleep.” I ruffled his blonde hair. He pushed my hand away, giving me an slightly amused look.


    “Hakyeon-hyung seems a lot better today.” Hyuk commented lazily. I smiled to myself. I was glad I was able to help my friend out of his slump. I promised him I’d come over today and help him clean his apartment. I didn’t really want to, but I knew I had to keep him happy or he’d end up drowning in a pile of trash.


    “I took him to the amusement park last night.” I responded, pulling out my pencil and folder from my backpack.


    “Really?” Hyuk pouted, seeming to be a bit jealous. He loved amusement parks and I forgot about that when I took Hakyeon there. I nodded for an answer and Hyuk dropped the conversation. When the teacher came in, our attention when right to our studies, as we didn’t want to be caught talking like yesterday.

---

    At lunch, Hakyeon was hanging all over me, seeming to replace me with Leo. Leo was silent and every now and then he shot me a glare. I knew it was because Hyomi told him about our little meeting. I didn’t care to be quite honest. Hyomi could do whatever she wanted. As I was talking with Hakyeon and Hyuk, someone caught my attention out of the corner of my eyes. It was Hyomi. She was approaching out table fast and I knew it wouldn’t end well with the fact that Hakyeon was there.


    “Oppa!” she called, waving at me. Her hair was bouncing up and down in her ponytail as she walked. Hakyeon and Hyuk both looked up.


    “Who’s she?” Hyuk whispered to me.


    “Hyomi.” I said quickly. Hyuk’s eyes widened a bit.


    “The girl that… you know.” He raised an eyebrow at me, making me nod. Hakyeon looked quite confused since he didn’t know that according to Ken and Hyuk, it was Hyomi’s fault Leo said no.


    “Oppa!” Hyomi called again, sitting down beside me by pushing Hyuk away. I gave her a cold glare.


    “Hyuk was sitting there.” I spoke harshly. She looked at Hyuk then back at me.


    “He can wait for a minute or two.” she said, dismissing my friend. “I came here to tell you that tonight I’m moving in with you. I’ll bring my stuff to the lobby and you can help me bring it up, okay?” she giggled lightly. 


    “What?” I yelled.


    “Don’t you remember that I told you I would move in? You’re my only family here in Korea and I don’t have the money to buy my own place. I’ve been staying at my friend’s house but she’s tired of me and I promised that I would leave soon, so you have to have me stay until I get a job and the money.” She rambled on like she does. I had stopped listening by the end and looked at her in total shock. 


    “I can’t have you move into my house.” I squeaked.


    “Hongbin, who is she?” Hakyeon asked, looking at the girl on my other side. I made a quick glance at Leo who was sitting across the table. His head was hanging down and he was very interested in his salad that was sitting in front of him. He acted as if no one else was even there around him. I didn’t blame him.


    “She’s my cousin,” I said to Hakyeon then turned back to my family member. “And she’s not moving in with me.” I spat. Hyomi gave me thumbs up.


    “Okay then, oppa. I’ll see you this Friday. Bye!” she squealed happily and ran off. I sat there frozen. Hakyeon and Hyuk glanced at me then at each other. 


    “Hongbin-hyung, are you okay?” Hyuk asked, waving his hands in front of my face, trying to get me to snap back into reality.


    “I’m going to kill her.” I furrowed my eyebrows and put my head in my hands. Hakyeon patted my back.


    “I’m sure you’ll be fine.” He muttered to me. I looked up at him, pretty upset.


    “Do you even know what she did?” I demanded. He shook his head. Ken and Ravi, by now, had lost all interest in their previous conversation and focused on us. “Well, the reason Leo said no to you was because of her, I heard.” I spoke quickly, not quite sure what I was saying since I was so pissed off.


    “I--” Hakyeon gasped, surprised. He looked at Leo, who was glaring at me with V eyes. “Is that true?” Hakyeon pushed out.


    “No.” Leo said coldly and stood up, walking away. Hakyeon turned to me, his mouth hanging open. I blinked then turned to Hyuk who told me so. He turned to Ken who gave him the information in the first place and the boy just shrugged his shoulders. I let my head drop to the table and laid there. I wanted to just give up. Everything was happening so quickly and it was all so confusing.


    “Wait,” Hakyeon jumped up, causing me (and everyone else) to move their gazes towards him. “That means Leo might still like me.” His face was filled with a smile that reached his ears. He didn’t say anything else and ran off after Leo. We all looked at each other, each with a confused glint in our eyes. The bell for lunch to be over rang and we all stood up and left, hoping that the two would clear things up and leaving me wondering if Hakyeon still wanted me to come over later.

---

    In the end, I did go over to help Hakyeon clean up and it was quite a job. I never knew one person could make such a mess in around two days. After we had finished, I brought my application to Star X and we both got ourselves coffee and sat down to talk about things. It was a nice relaxing evening and I didn’t want to think about the day that was about to come tomorrow.