Number Two

Short Stories

“So how was that senior awards ceremony thing on Saturday?” Hyuna questions.

 

    I shrug. “It was... okay, I guess. Some interesting developments.”

 

    “What interesting developments?”

 

    As if on cue, a familiar voice drawls, “Hey there, Sal.” Sehun is standing behind me, surrounded by his annoying friends. They stare at him in confusion, wondering why he has stopped to speak to me. Only Baekhyun gives me a nod of acknowledgement (along with a wink directed towards Hyuna, which she responds to with several obscene hand gestures).

 

    I narrow my eyes, whipping around to face him. “Don’t call me that, idiot.”

 

    “Ouch. I thought were supposed to be friends now?” Sehun sticks out his lip in a fake pout. Hyuna chokes on her water.

 

    “Wha- friends? Uh, when did this happen?” she demands.

 

    I grimace. “This was the ‘interesting development’.”

 

    “What the-,”

 

    “What do you want, Sehun?” I huff.

 

    He sneers at my obvious displeasure. “What? Can’t I talk to my friends?”

 

    “Go away-,”

 

    “Hey, Mihi.” Minho has just walked up to me, a grin on his face. My face turns light pink.

 

    “Oh, hey, Minho,” I smile, my voice rising up several octaves. I clear my throat, attempting to deepen my voice. “I mean, uh, hey. How’s... how are... uh, how’s life?”

 

    Someone kill me. Why do I have to be so awkward around Minho?

 

    “Going pretty well,” he shrugs. “Swamped with homework. I thought senior year was supposed to be easy.”

 

    “Oh, god, I’ve heard senior year just drags on.” I sigh sympathetically. “Don’t worry, you only have a few more months, right?”

 

    Minho chuckles. “I guess. Well, I’m going to get back to my lunch table. Oh, hey Sehun.”

 

    “Hello.” Sehun responds, scowling. He refuses to smile at Minho. Minho, however, merely takes it in stride.

 

    “See ya!” he calls, and walks away.

 

    “Whoa, is that Minho? The Minho?” Hyuna whistles. “Damn.”

 

    “What are you ‘damn’ing him for?” Baekhyun protests. “I’m much hotter.”

 

    “Yeah, whatever.”

 

    While Hyuna and Baekhyun bicker, Sehun turns his pissy glare on me. I wrinkle my nose, staring back at him.

 

    “What? What’s wrong?” I ask.

 

    Sehun rolls his eyes. “Oh, Minho, I love you! How’s life? How are you? Can you have my children?”

 

    My face turns hot. “Hey! I don’t sound like that!”

 

    “Yeah, you do! Could you make your crush any more obvious?”

 

    “I don’t have a crush on him! He’s just really cool!”

 

    “Uh, yeah you do.”

 

    “Do not!”

 

    “Do too!”  

 

    “Do not!

 

    “Do too!”

 

    “Do-,”

 

    “Shut up!” Hyuna exclaims, slamming a hand down on the table. Sehun and I look up. The entire cafeteria is gaping at us with wide eyes. Sehun’s face turns an impressive shade of stop-sign red.

 

    “I’m leaving,” he finally grumbles, and storms away, Baekhyun throwing Hyuna awestruck looks as he follows him. I bury my head in my hands, willing everyone to stop staring, for the love of God!

 

    “Holy crap.” Hyuna whistles. “He likes you. He so likes you. I knew it. I called it. I said it before.”

 

    My head snaps up. “Where the hell did you get that idea?” I scoff. “Did you just see what he did?”

 

    “Exactly. He’s jealous, Mihi.” A smile curls Hyuna’s lips. “Holy guacamole. The great Oh Sehun has finally fallen for a girl who won’t throw herself at his feet in 8 seconds. This is incredible.”

 

    “Hyuna!”

 

    “I can’t believe the most popular boy in school fell for an honor student,” she muses, shaking her head.

 

    “Uh, hello? He’s valedictorian.”

 

    “Oh, god, that just makes things even better.”

 

    “Dude.” I grab Hyuna’s hands. “Get this through your head. Oh Sehun does not like me.”

 


 

Sehun avoids me for the rest of the week. In fact, I would’ve thought that he transferred schools, if I didn’t see him every day at lunch, flirting with a new girl every time I looked over at him (which I didn’t. Not really). All of my attempts to talk to him were totally rebuffed.

 

I will admit: for a few days, I was pretty pissed off. I don’t know why. All I know is that the sight of him tipping his head and laughing after Hyorin or Bomi or Nara whispered something in his ear made my stomach churn with disgust. God, he pisses me off. No matter what he does, he gets on my freaking nerves!

 

That all changed, however, when 4 of my teachers scheduled tests on the same day. Tomorrow, I will be taking a chemistry exam, a biology practical, a calculus test, and an English essay. So I’ve been cramming nonstop for the last 3 days, leaving no time for me to think about Oh Sehun. And today is no different. I am sitting at my lunch table with Hyuna, poring over my chemistry textbook while taking notes in my thick notebook. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Hyuna looking at me nervously.

 

“You look like a zombie,” she finally says. “How much sleep have you been getting?”

 

“That doesn’t matter,” I utter, flipping the page.

 

“Dude. Have you even eaten anything? You’re going to die!”

 

“Chill! I’m fine. My grades are more important.”

 

“Not if you die of exhaustion!”

 

I sigh. “Hyuna, I want to become valedictorian. The only way I’ll do that is if my grades are better than Sehun’s.”

 

“Oh, no. Mihi, you’re salutatorian! That’s already really good!”

 

“Not as good as Sehun.”

 

“Screw Sehun! Oh my- okay, you know what?” Suddenly, I feel my textbook being yanked out from underneath me.

 

“Hyuna!” I angrily hiss. “Give it back!”

 

“Not before I buy you lunch,” she says sternly. She grabs my hand and quickly yanks me up, causing my head to spin. As she drags me through the cafeteria I feel like I am about to pass out. Crap. I need to get these tests over with- I feel like I’m about to die. Is everything supposed to look so blurry? Weird. As we are rushing to the island, however, my foot accidentally catches on a chair leg and I go stumbling.

 

“Oh, crap,” I mutter- and then freeze when I realize whose chair I tripped over.

 

“Watch where you’re going,” Sehun snaps. Hyorin glares at me, tightening her grip on Sehun’s arm.

 

I tiredly duck my head. “Sorry.” Sehun’s eyes slightly widen at the sound of this. He peers up at my face, an unreadable look in his eyes.

 

“Why don’t you watch where you’re putting your chair?” Hyuna barks. “Come on, Mihi. Let’s go.”

 

“Mihi, you look like a ghost,” Baekhyun laughs. “Trying to study harder so you’ll beat Sehun?”

 

I pale.

 

Hyuna furiously launches herself at Baekhyun, violently punching every inch of skin she can reach. “Stop!” Baekhyun yelps, attempting to bat her off. “I was kidding! It was a joke! Chill out! It’s not like she’s actually doing that!”

 

“You’re such a freaking idiot!” Hyuna hisses, yanking his hair. “Screw you, Baekhyun!”

 

“Hyuna! Hyuna! Babe! Save this for the bedroom- kidding!” Baekhyun whines, prompting her to pummel him even harder.

 

Sehun’s eyes have not left my face. I bite my lip, looking down at the floor.

 

“You’re not actually, right?” he says in a quiet voice. “You couldn’t possibly be killing yourself like this just for your grades.”

 

I swallow. It’s probably the fatigue that’s thrown my emotions into a mess, but my throat is suddenly burning and I feel a strange pricking sensation behind my eyes.

 

“Mihi,” Sehun says in a low voice, slowly rising up. “You-,”

 

“Well, if it isn’t my favorite underclassman!” Sehun blanches as Minho comes up behind me and throws an arm around my shoulders. “How’re you doing?”

 

I wearily turn to Minho. His jaw drops when he sees my ragged face. “Whoa. Let me guess. 4 exams on one day? Trying to pull consecutive all-nighters?”

 

“You know it,” I sigh.

 

“Oh, I totally feel that. Hey, I can help you study! I don’t have any tests for another few weeks. If you need any help, I’ll be here!”

 

    I smile. “That would be really great. I’ll actually have to take you up on that offer.”

 

    “Sweet! Just text me, okay?”

 

    “Alright!”

 

    Minho strides away, leaving Sehun staring at me with an emotionless look on his face.

 

    “What?” I ask exhaustedly.

 

    “Are you seriously okay?”

 

    “Why do you even care?” I snap. “You’ve been ignoring me for, like, a week. I thought we were supposed to be friends now.”

 

    Sehun presses his lips together. “I-,”

 

    “Forget it, Sehun. I’m leaving. Good luck for the tests.”

 

    And then I stride away.

 


 

    It’s my 4th cup of coffee. My alarm clock reads 2:25 AM. A medley of textbooks, worksheets, and papers are scattered across my desk.

 

    At this rate, I’ll only be able to pull a 95 on my chemistry test and a 97 on my English paper- if I’m lucky. I haven’t even started to consider my calculus exam and my biology test. , , , how am I going to pull this off? What the hell am I going to do?

 

My mind flashes back to what occurred during lunch. Sehun looked so calm, composed- like his stupid, normal, handsome self. He said he worked hard. So why wasn’t he cramming like I was? How is he able to balance his social life with his academics? It’s not fair. I hate it. I hate him!

 

I angrily rub away the tears streaming down my cheeks. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why am I even crying?

 

Suddenly, a ping! resonates through my room. I look up in shock.

 

Maybe it was just my imagination, I think- before I hear a ping! once more.

 

“What the hell?” I mutter. I look around, confused, until I realize that the source of the strange noise is the window. I look through the clear panes of glass into the darkness- and gasp.

 

Sehun?” I gasp, opening my window. “What the hell-,”

 

“You weren’t answering my texts,” he shrugs. He is wearing a black hoodie and sweats- the most casual clothing I’ve seen him in. For some reason, a strange fluttering sensation skitters through my stomach.

 

“How the heck do you know where I live, you stalker?!”

 

“School directory. Duh.”

 

“Wha- that’s so weird! What are you even doing here? We have 5 more hours until our first test. You should be studying!”

 

“Look, Mihi,” Sehun says. He puts a foot on the first-story window ledge and a foot on my door frame. “I told you we’d work better together on the same side. We’re friends. Granted, I’ve been acting like a grade-A douche lately. But that’s... irrelevant.” And to my horror, I realize that Sehun is literally climbing up the side of my house to my window.

 

“Oh my god, Sehun!” I shriek. “You’re going to fall! This is such a stupid idea!”

 

“Hey, if I fall, you’ll become valedictorian,” he tells me with a sly smirk, and I nearly throw something down at him. Sehun’s athleticism is evident by the way he clambers up to my window in nearly no time at all. Anxiously biting my lip, I lean outside the window and hold out an arm. He takes my hand, and with difficulty, I hoist him up (rather, he pulls himself up) into my room.

 

“I’m giving you 5 seconds to explain yourself before I throw you right back out that window,” I snap.

 

Sehun’s eyes sweep my room, landing on the explosion of study materials sitting on my desk. He sighs.

 

“I’m going to help you study,” he says, taking a seat on my bed. “Then you can go to sleep early- well, earlier.”

 

“That’s completely unnecessary-,”

 

“Mihi.” Sehun takes my hand, an uncharacteristically serious expression on his face. “Let me help you.”

 

My face reddens. “Whatever.”

 

So I grudgingly start studying with Sehun. He seems to know everything, whether it be an obscure fact Mrs. Han mentioned one day in class to a topic that I haven’t been able to understand for weeks. And I hate to admit it, but he’s a great teacher, too. I’ve never really seen this side of Sehun: the quiet, smart, studious side. The valedictorian side.

 

“Why’re you staring at me?” Sehun says, thumbing through my biology notebook.

 

“I’m not,” I sleepily respond.

 

He looks up at me. “You look like you’re going to pass out at any moment.”

 

“At least I’m almost done. Plus it’s only 3:30 AM.”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “Only 3:30.”

 

Sighing, I plop my head down on the pillow next to him. “Thanks,” I mutter. “I really appreciate it.”

 

“No problemo.”

 

I turn around on my side so that I am facing him. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Why did you ignore me all of this week?”

 

Sehun is silent for a little bit as he stares up at my ceiling. I watch him, waiting for a response.

 

“Sorry,” he finally says. “I was being childish.”

 

“About what?”

 

He rolls his head over. His piercing onyx eyes bore straight into mine. A jolt of what feels like electricity runs through my body.

 

Maybe it’s just because it’s 3 in the morning.

 

“About Minho.”

 

I slowly my lips. “What about Minho?”

 

Sehun’s gaze seems glued to me. “Stop doing that,” he murmurs.

 

“Doing what?”

 

He starts moving closer and closer towards me. “Stop. Just stop.”

 

“Stop what?

 

Sehun is hovering right above me, so close that I can feel the warmth of his skin.

 

“Stop making me so jealous.

 

And then he kisses me.

 

I don’t know what I expected a kiss from Oh Sehun to be like (it’s not like I ever thought about it or anything. Totally not. Definitely not.) But this is nothing like it. I thought he would be rough, fierce, with the right amount of sloppiness thrown in. Instead, his lips are soft and slow against mine. He cradles my head as he readjusts our position to a more comfortable one and then runs his tongue over my bottom lip, sending shudders down my spine. Sehun tastes like peppermint and it’s so, so very delicious. My entire body feels like it’s tingling as I tentatively kiss him back, not really sure about what I should be doing or how exactly I should kiss.

 

“I- I’m sorry,” I breathe nervously, detaching from our kiss. My entire body feels hotter than a blazing July afternoon. “I don’t really know how to kiss or anything- this is my first time-,”

 

Sehun’s jaw drops. “I’m your first kiss?”

 

I blush even harder. “Yeah...”

 

“Whoa.” He slumps back onto my pillow, a dazed expression on his face, and I get the feeling that I’ve somehow said something wrong. I anxiously gaze at him, my fingers fumbling with my blanket.

 

“I’m sorry?” I squeak, all traces of my former Sehun-directed sassiness gone.

 

“No! Don’t apologize!” Sehun hastily exclaims. “I’m just- wow. I’m relishing this. I’ve thought about this moment for a while, you know.”

 

“Wait, what?

 

He gives me a goofy half-smile. “You heard me.”

 

“Wait, what does that mean?”

 

“It means I like you. And I’ve liked you for a while now, actually. Since you dumped that pitcher of water on my head at Kalbi Grill.”

 

“Wha- are you a sadist or something?”

 

No, but I am into a girl who’s smart as hell and unwilling to take from anyone. A girl who’s really cute but somehow doesn’t seem to realize it at all. A girl who’s hardworking and funny and bold and cool and absolutely perfect.

 

My head is buried in my hands to mask the huge smile spreading across my face.

 

“And who might that girl be?” I ask.

 

Sehun pulls me down towards him again, the grin on his face even wider than mine.

 

“Her name’s Park Mihi. She’s the salutatorian of Seoul Private Academy. Do you know her?”

 


 

I nearly oversleep the next morning. The bus driver nearly takes off without me, and I have to sprint to get on.

 

Yet there’s a huge smile on my face. If it wasn’t for the sweet good morning text Sehun sent me half an hour ago (along with a WAKE UP!!!! text), I would’ve thought that the events that occurred early this morning was some sort of hallucinogenic effect caused by my lack of sleep and the caffeine from the cappuccinos I had been chugging. But here I am. Oh Sehun’s girlfriend.

 

Weird.

 

Are we going to keep this lowkey? I’m going to tell Hyuna, of course, and he’ll probably tell his friends, but how exactly are we supposed to act around each other at school? Would it be weird if I, you know, held his hand and stuff? Does he want this to be a secret?

 

My questions are answered when Sehun gives me a large peck on the lips and a “Morning, babe!” when I arrive at school.

 

“Everyone’s staring,” I whisper, blushing, as he wraps an arm around my waist.

 

“When you’re as hot as me, you get used to it.”

 

“Shut up!

 

“Make me.”

 

“Do you really want me to?”

 

He grins devilishly. “Sure. Get creative with it-,”

 

Mihi!

 

I whirl around and see Hyuna gaping at me, her hands clapped over . Baekhyun stands behind her, grinning.

 

“So you finally got the balls to do it,” Baekhyun tells Sehun. The latter turns bright pink.

 

“Wha- when did this happen?! Why didn’t you tell me?” Hyuna rapidly shakes me by my shoulders so quickly that I feel like I’m a wallet she’s emptying out for loose change.

 

“It literally happened, like, 3 hours ago! I’ll explain everything! Just- stop- shaking- me!”

 

Hyuna lets go of me and swivels around to Sehun. “If you hurt her, I’m literally going to take you by the head, drag you to the ing boys’ bathroom, and give you a ing whirlie in a toilet. Do you understand?”

 

Sehun gulps. “Yeah. Yes. Of course. Totally.”

 

Suddenly, the bell rings for first period. “! Chemistry!” I gasp.

 

“Good luck!” Sehun gives me a huge hug. “Remember what we went over last night, okay? You’ll do great.”

 

“Thanks,” I grin. “I’ll see you after class?”

 

“You betcha.”

 

“Oh, and Sehun?”

 

“Yeah.”

“Watch out. You just might help me become valedictorian.”


A/N: YUHHH okay ive wanted to finish this for a while now

guys... please don't ask me to do lina/yoongi oneshots or update my other stories... like im trying lol but i can't.......