No more than 20 sprinkles

From behind the lenses

“Smile? Really, just this? Isn’t that kinda cliché-y for such an important task, as you explained it to be?”


“Aren’t you asking a bit too many questions Yoongi, I’m a busy person you know. Or what, you don’t think you can do it? I can easily hire someone else if you-“


“No, no I’ll do it, I’ll do it! So… only ‘smile’?”


“Yeah, a smile Yoongi, something you should incorporate more into your life by the way. Now if you excuse me.” His boss said and went out of Yoongi's room without even hearing his answer.

--

Yoongi frowned for what seemed like the seven hundredth time today and it was only past 1pm. His boss called him about a work task in the morning, but that only made his life more complicated. A collage, the theme of which is a ‘smile’. That was it, that were the only instructions he was given. Wasn’t that a bit too objective, like come on, how many different meanings does ‘smile’ have? Well, he only had less than three weeks to find out and look at it from behind the lenses. But all this could only start with some hot chocolate, Yoongi needed little to no caffeine, but a hot chocolate was a must.

It was now a piece of cake for Yoongi to order the perfect hot chocolate, enough whipped cream and just a few sprinkles on top in coherent Chinese as it was a daily thing for him. Which contradicted his entire being as was rarely so precise or cared about details for many things, but the beverage was an exception.

“One hot choc-“


“One hot chocolate, double portion of whipped cream with no more than 20 colorful sprinkles. I got that Yoongi, It’s been two months, I feel like every worker here already knows your order. Just wait a bit until I call out your name, because we’re short on staff today and it will take some time.” The worker of the café was really having fun looking at Yoongi blushing like a little kid who has been found doing something embarrassing, but he only thought it was cute how he insisted on his hot chocolate. Yoongi scratched the back of his neck a bit and tried to play it off coolly.


“And no, it’s not only that, I also want a cake so just let me be. A chocol-“


“A chocolate one with an orange slice and few strawberries as a side, right?” the worker, Xiu Ying, grinned.


“Oh shut up.” Yoongi said and stomped away to an empty table.

 

He opened his project folder yet again, sincerely hoping to find something different than what he had already read and reread few times since the morning.
“Smile, huh…” he muttered quietly to himself and closed his eyes to let himself think for a bit. Whose smile? A bitter one? A happy one? What was the reason behind that smile? And so on, and so on...


“Uh.. so Ice? 冰? Iced coffee? Kafei? I’m so bad at this, uhm…”


What was this ruckus about? Yoongi opened his eyes and looked towards the direction of the counter. There was a relatively tall person waving his hands a bit too much, probably trying to order something. “Foreigner?” Yoongi wondered and got up to see if he could help.


“Hey, I saw you were having troubles and I know the staff, would you like me to help you… oh. Ohh, you?” Around a week had passed since Yoongi’s encounter with the boy from Korea he met, Jimin, but the one hour they spent together was enough for him to remember the other’s face quite well. The latter turned his head in Yoongi’s direction with quite a confused look, but a few seconds later he seemed to also have remembered the photographer too and a big smile mixed with relief appeared on his face.


“So the Lord hasn’t abandoned me today too. Can you please order one iced coffee? Not to hold the line anymore because I honestly can’t do this.” Jimin whined and this made Yoongi smile to himself as he ordered the drink.

 

“You know, I was really hoping to see you again and talk more properly. Yet I ended up having to be saved again. I don’t know how to say my thanks now.” Jimin rambled non-stop while slurping from his drink. Yoongi was really intrigued. And he definitely didn’t regret their second encounter either. What was it that was so interesting about the boy?


“Do you like caffeinated drinks? I thought people at your age would drink something a bit more sweet and sugary.”


 “Do you realize how much of an old man you just sounded like? And for my defense I was up until 5:14am for dance practice and got up at 8am so I need some caffeine in my bloodstream to function until today’s one is over. And look who’s talking, I thought people at your age don’t drink hot chocolate with decorations in their lunch break.” Jimin sneer, a small ‘victory’ sign could practically be seen in his eyes. Yoongi perked up with the intention to say something to save his pride, but the whole situation was way too ridiculous so he couldn’t help laughing out loud instead. Jimin then joined.


“Okay, okay you smart brat. But isn’t 5am a little bit too late? How is your body even handling all this irregular schedule.” Jimin only looked at Yoongi surprised.


“Irregular? Oooh, oh I didn’t think of this. To you it might seem irregular, but I’m used to this. I’ve been dancing since I was really young and attending my current university was a result from many past midnight practices anyways, so my body is okay with it now.”


“Hmm.” Yoongi hummed and allowed Jimin to talk his heart content since apparently he didn’t have many people around him that he could talk to. Jimin talked and laughed, his eyes forever taking the shape of a half-moon, his mouth turned into an everlasting gummy smile. That boy really knew how to show all of his teeth and Yoongi could feel own lips curling a lot too, even though he was mainly the listener.

It was around 4pm when they both realized they spent waay to much time in the coffee shop and procrastination wasn’t something they could allow so they had to leave. Yoongi walked Jimin to the already familiar place again. He didn’t even remember what they talked about for so long did Jimin even say anything that’s not a random blabber, but he knew that it was really comfortable around him so he offered to meet at the same café sometimes again.


“Deal. I’m going to treat you a strawberry shortcake with kiwis then.”


“Really? I would lov- Wait. Why are you laughing? Oooh, so now you’re messing with this old man right here, aren’t you.” And before he could flick Jimin’s forehead, the latter was already walking backwards while mouthing “victory’’ and grinning like the actual child he was. Yoongi fell into his trap again.

 


A/N Thank you for reading ♥
Gif of the day just because Jimin's smile is indeed contagious and Yoongi can't help but smile along **