Final

Blindness

The passengers watched sympathetically as the young man with the white stick made his way carefully up the steps of the bus. He paid the driver and used his beautiful hands to feel for the seat. Then, he sat down with the stick resting on his lap.

It had been 2 years since Tao, became blind. Because of a medical problem, he was suddenly thrown into the world of darkness. Tao, who was once an independent man, felt condemned to be a burden on everyone around him. All he had to cling to was his husband, Kris an army officer who loved him dearly.

When Tao first lost his sight, he sank into despair, but Kris was determined to help Tao become independent again. After a few months, Tao was finally ready to return to his job. So, how would Tao get there? Kris volunteered to drive him to work each day, even though they worked at the opposite of the city.

At first, this comforted Tao and fulfilled Kris's need to protect his wife, who had lost confidence in doing the simplest task. Soon however, this transport arrangement was becoming too tiring for Kris. Kris realized that Tao would have to start taking the bus again, but just the thought of mentioning this to Tao upset him. Tao was still so fragile and so angry. How would Tao react?

Just as Kris had expected, Tao was horrified at the idea of taking the bus again. Tao's heart was full of anger. "How can you do this to me? I am blind!"  He responded bitterly. "How am I supposed to know where I am going? I feel as if you are abandoning me! Don't you love me anymore?!"

Kris's heart broke when he heard those words, but he knew what he had to do. He promised Tao that, each morning and evening, he would ride the bus with him, for as long as it took Tao to get used to it. And that was exactly what happened. For 2 whole weeks, Kris, in full military uniform, accompanied Tao to and from work each day. Kris taught Tao how to rely on his other senses, especially his hearing and how to adapt to his new situation.

Kris helped Tao make friends with the bus driver, who would watch out for him. They even saved Tao a seat. Kris laugh, when on those bad days when Tao tripped as he left the bus or dropped his briefcase. Each morning, they made the journey together and Kris would take a taxi back to his office. Although this routine was even expensive and more tiring than the previous one, Kris knew it was just a time before Tao would be able to ride the bus on his own. Kris believed in Tao, the Tao he used to know, who was not afraid of any challenges and who would never, ever quit.

Indeed, Tao soon became confident enough to start travelling on his own. One day, as he about to get off the bus, the bus driver said, "Sir, I really envy you. It must feel so good to be taken care of and protected like you are."

Tao had no idea what the bus driver was talking about, and asked, "What do you mean?"

The bus driver answered, "You know, every morning, a gentlemen in a military uniform stands on the other side of the road watching you leave the bus. He makes sure you cross the road safely and he watches you until you enter your office building. Then he blows you a kiss and walks away. You are a fortunante man."

Tears of happiness flowed down his cheeks. Although Tao could not see his husband, he had always felt his husband presence. Tao was lucky, so lucky for he had given a gift more powerful than sight, a gift he need to see to believe, a gift of love that can bring light where there has been darkness.