Sunshine & Lettuce

Living with the dorks

Soojin's room was even better than she imagined it to be. The walls were painted in a clean white with floral vines that had the color of mocha. The furniture was painted in the same fresh white and also had darker vines ranking around the corners. Especially the closet was to her liking; with the white wood and the red rose paintings. In synergy with the light that was flooding the whole room in a warm and colorless harmony the room seemed friendly and comfortable. Soojin was sure to feel at home here soon – how could she not if her cousin did all of this for her?

She was now sitting on the soft blanket of her bed, luggage stored in a corner near the closet for now. First of all she would look around before she unpacks everything. The pleasure always came before the work, at least for Soojin. Therefore she the small red radio on her desk and smiled as a melodious summer tune filled her room. Now that was a lot better.

 

Singing along, she danced around the room and smiled in bliss. There was nothing better than having your own room and the girl was already lost in thoughts of how to decorate this place to her liking. Maybe she would buy one of those pretty vanity tables she always saw in movies. Then she could put all her pretty hair clips, nail polish and brushes on it. Maybe she would even have enough space for her pretty jewelry casket where she kept all her beautiful necklaces and bracelets. Even the one her father gave to her as she was very young. It was a simple silver bracelet but with a fairy pendant. It was so light and graceful that her mother thought it suited Soojin perfectly. As she thought about all the other things she could place in her room – money not being a bother since her mom gave her a credit card for such things – the door opened slowly.

Upon hearing the singing from the room of the newcomer, Jackson decided to step in and see what Soojin was doing. He didn't think of seeing something that cute though. The girl was dancing around with light steps, the soft hum of the radio and her voice mixing together into one beautiful melody. It was a pretty sight and Jackson found himself leaning against the door frame, watching the girl with a certain look of adoration in his eyes. He hadn't lied when he spoke about Jinyoung's cousin looking like an angel.

“Feeling at home already?”

The sudden voice startled the singing girl and as she turned to see who was so rudely stepping into her room without a knock she met the gaze of the guy she met earlier – Jackson. He was leaning against the door frame and looking at her, eyes somewhat amused.

“I would if some people wouldn't walk in as if it was their room.”

The only answer was the uproar of laugh that emitted out of Jackson's mouth. Sure, her comeback wasn't the best but did he have to laugh at her like that?

“You really are just like your cousin. Jinyoung has the same wit – fierce yet adorable.” The male took another step in but this time he asked if it was okay and since Soojin couldn't possibly reject him now – how awkward would that be? - she allowed him to.

“Your room is way prettier than ours. That's somewhat unfair. Jinyoung even bought new wallpaper and paint to prepare all this.”

Soojin had to smile at that. Yes, her cousin always managed to make her happy with such gestures. To others it might not be a lot but to Soojin it meant everything. After all those years it felt as if no time passed at all and even the thought of the other six boys couldn't change her happy mood anymore.

“He really is kind. You can be proud to have him as your cousin.”

 

“Then you should be proud to have him as your housemate.”

Both of them had to smile at that and afterwards they talked about Jinyoung's most embarrassing moments as a kid and young adult for quite a while before Jackson left again, leaving a wide smile on the girl's lips. Maybe this whole experience would turn into one she never wants to miss again.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

It was dinner time as Soojin finished unpacking everything. Her clothes were now neatly tucked away in the closet, dresses hanging down from the hangers. With the familiarity of her clothes she felt more at ease than she would have imagined. It gave her some kind of homey feeling. It was the same with her shoes standing in a clear row behind her door. Her very own possessions in that still empty room.

A knock could be heard and Soojin answered with a soft “Yes.”

 

Her cousin stepped into the room, flopping down on her bed with a grin that was typically Jinyoung in so many ways.

“Dinner's ready. Youngjae and me spent two hours to make everything. You should come down and introduce yourself to him and Yugyeom.”

 

'Oh, so two of them were already home. How come they didn't make any noise? Weren't boys all loud and cheerful when their friends returned from summer vacation? Weren't they just like girls when it comes to this? Whatever.' Soojin only nodded and fixed her hair that was wrapped in a cute bun.

“Alright. I just hope you didn't brag too much about me so they're disappointed now when they see the real Soojin – that isn't any better than you, actually.”

 

Before she could receive a smack from her older cousin, she raced down the stairs in record time. Excited for dinner and the new faces she was about to meet she arrived in the living room and immediately spotted the two unknown males that were sitting on the couch, probably enjoying a TV show that was currently airing.

Soojin cleared . “Hello. I'm Jinyoung's cousin, Soojin. Nice to meet you.” With a quick bow of her head she stepped closer and smiled at the friendly greeting of the blonde one.

“Ah, Soojin ah! I am Youngjae and this is Yugyeom. It's great to finally meet you. I hope you will enjoy your time here.” While Youngjae seemed quite thrilled at her arrival, Yugyeom simply looked at her and said nothing. He bowed his head shortly and then sat back down on the couch to watch his show. Soojin wondered what was wrong with him but didn't press any further. The male seemed as if he wasn't interested in sharing his thoughts with her and she was never one to annoy people until she heard what she wanted to.

“I heard dinner is ready?” She looked at Youngjae again who only nodded quickly and asked her to take a seat at the table while he would gather the others that were here. Therefore she followed his instructions and a few minutes later six people were sitting on the large mahogany table that was covered in plates and bowls.

“Young, this is seriously the best food you ever made!”, a happy Jackson exclaimed before he stuck another lettuce wrap into his still full mouth.

Everyone seemed to have a good time and even Soojin adapted pretty quickly to her surroundings. She talked about her family and all the friends she had to leave behind, even about school and the teachers she despised the most. To her surprise every single one of the guys was attending Wonju University as well. At least she wouldn't be too lonely there.

Next to her and Jackson, Youngjae also was a sophomore and he was studying economics. Before they could hear the long explanation of various economic aspects of the country though (Jackson already warned her beforehand that once Youngjae started talking about this subject, he would never stop) the lock of the front door could be heard.

“Guess who's back?!” a voice shouted in English and within a few seconds Jinyoung was jumping out of his chair and running to the door. Soojin curiously turned her head, couldn't see anything though.

“Who is it?”, she asked politely and turned around again.

“Jaebum hyung. He is one to enjoy such extravagant entrances” Jackson explained and at that Soojin turned around once again, curious to what her old Get It! Member looked like right now. But damn, she wished she didn't because not only was Jaebum a lot older and mature now, no. He was also really good-looking, handsome even and his arms that were totally not covered at all (blame his wife beater) were defined and full of muscles.

A whistle could be heard and with a smug grin on his face, Jaebum approached the table.

“Your cousin has to be quite special when Youngjae and you prepare such a feast.” He then turned his head and eyed Soojin thoroughly. She was almost blushing at the intense eye contact and she already wanted to turn her head around in embarrassment as the male opened his mouth and – once again – Soojin wished he didn't.

“Still got a crush on me, leader girl?”