Cereal & McDonalds

Living with the dorks

Do you know that feeling when something bad is about to happen and you can feel it in your guts already? This odd and unpleasant churn that you beat your head around for several minutes if not hours. 
This was exactly what Park Soojin was feeling right now. The only difference is that instead of thinking over what could happen, she nearly choked on the cereal she just spooned into . Grainy corn and bad news weren't exactly the best combination and so it took her several minutes to calm her coughing fit which resulted in her face turning bright red and the face in front of her to show incomprehension. 

"Was that really so surprising, honey?" Soojin's mother asked and Soojin could have gawked at her right then. How could she ask something like that? Wasn't it normal for a nineteen year old girl to react that way when her mother tells her she is currently planning a 6-months world trip with her husband? (the eleventh world trip for that matter) Usually her mother would take Soojin with her but since the latter complained about all the 'useless trips that'd end in another divorce anyway' her mother decided to go on this trip alone. "Who knows? Maybe things will turn out well this time? Honey. Kwangsoo really is a nice guy and I'd like it if you would be a bit more understanding. I know you miss father; I do too, believe me. But isn't it time for you to accept Kwangsoo as my new husband?" 

The sad tone her mother used was showing Soojin how hurt she still was. The death of her husband Park Hyungsik was sudden and nobody was prepared for it - emotionally. While Soojin's mother was trying to be strong for both her and her daughter, Soojin skipped school for two weeks and locked herself away in her room. It was a dark and gloomy atmosphere that surrounded both of them and until the furneral was held none of them even left the house. Friends and distant relatives came to help them with the house and give some comfort. However, it took both of them a while to accept the fact that their beloved father and husband won't come back.

Since then Soojin and her mother had an even stronger bond and prayed everyday for the safety of each other and the well being of the dead. They decided that Hyungsik wouldn't want to see how his little angels, as he always called them, would waste away like this. Consequently the girls decided to continue their life in a cheer- and hopeful way, so that once they all re-unite with him, they can be proud of each other and fade away into nothingness together. At least that was what Soojin imagined the 'end' to be like: Being together with your loved ones as you fade away; somewhere where pain and dread does not exist. 

Because of that promise, Soojin's mother started to date again - three years after the incident happened. However, she only managed to meet the odd kind of men that either act double wide or stuck up. Whenever she'd bring them home, Soojin would hide in her room and read. She had enough of those 'mother-new partner-child' talks which were supposed to introduce her mom's newest fund and talk hours about how amazing said man is. 

It actually took her three years to find a decent man even Soojin couldn't complain about. That didn't mean she was going easy on him though. Till this day, Soojin only had brief conversations with Kwangsoo, her mother's new husband, that was already living together with them for half a year. The young girl didn't dislike this man but she was still a bit sceptical about his intentions and motives. By all means the Park family was a wealthy one and while people may think it was Hyungsik who generated all the money, it was actually Hyeri, Soojin's mother, who earned all the profit with her well-functioning company. 

Until today Kwangsoo never made it obvious that he was here for the money only, but one could never be cautious enough. At least that is what Soojin believes. Sure, her mother and him go on several trips, eat out very often and buy expensive presents for christmas; but that did not mean he was a replacement for her dad, or a good person. While her mother tried to convince her that said man was by no means a replacement for Hyungsik, Soojin had a hard time believing that. Simply because of the fear that her mother might forget about her dead husband.

"If you want to, we can still book an extra ticket for everything if you're so shocked about not coming with us." Her mother seriously looked irritated, shocked even. "And here I was thinking that nineteen year old teenagers enjoyed being alone for a long time." 

"Mom." Soojin wasn't quite against the idea of being alone, but six months were a bit long and she didn't even know if she'd manage everything by herself for such a long time. "You plan on leaving me alone.. for six months? Is that even legal?" The laughter she was answered with was the final straw and by now her face displayed utter irritation. It seems as if her mother planned everything already and here was the bad gut feeling again. This couldn't end well. 

"Alone? Oh no, honey. That'd be too dangerous! What if you fall down the stairs or burn the house down?" Soojin decided to ignore the mean assumption of her burning anything down. Was she by far means a better cook than her mother. "You will stay with Jinyoung." 

Okay. Hold up for a second. Jinyoung? "As in.. my cousin Jinyoung?" Now she definitely was lost. Jinyoung didn't even live here and the last time Soojin saw him was years ago. Back then they were buddies and had a small 'gang' called 'Get it'. They had everything; from slogans ('Come and get it!') to secret hide outs. The group consisted of twenty people as eighth grade was coming to an end. Soojin was close with only four of them but to her the 'gang' was like a small comfort to get over the death of her father. 

"But I haven't seen him since eighth grade!" She tried to protest but it was clear in the face of her mother that she already decided this thoroughly and there would be no escape hatch for her. None. "He's living in Wonju and turning twenty-one very soon. Therefore, everything is (kind of) legal. Don't worry." She said it with such a carefree and delighted voice that it was hard for Soojin to say anything bad about it. "I am sure he is already thrilled to see you."

- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - - - - - ​- - 

"You will do fine, right? Do you have your phone? Call me once you arrive there and don't forget to call me at least once a week!" 

It was funny how Soojin's mother was suddenly so worried, almost regretful. After making out a precise plan about the next six months, including emergency numbers, the transfer to the school in Wongju which gladly offered the same course Soojin took here at Seoul, dates and times the three of them would video chat or call and a well stocked credit card, Soojin decided to give her mom the satisfaction of yet another world trip (which would be the last one, as the latter stated)

Therefore the three Parks now stood in the large and budy hall of Seoul's train station. While her mother tried her best not to shed a single tear, Kwangsoo wrapped a strong arm around her shoulder and rubbed the clothed skin of his wife soothingly. No matter how cautious Soojin was about that man, he never treated his wife wrongly and the both of them really seemed in love with each other. It was the only reason the student didn't treat him like any of the other men her mother met in the past years. 

"I will be fine, mom. See it as my own little trip or holiday. It's still summer vacation and so I have plenty of time to adapt to that place. Don't worry, hm?" She tried her best to sound delightful, seeing that half of what she said was true anyway. Soojin was a curious and outgoing girl and she was sure that she'd find her way around Wongju quite fast. After all her mom thaught her well with the endless trips during holidays and vacations. 

"If the money isn't enough just text me, okay? I will make sure you get more and if anything doesn't seem right just go back home and we will be there as well!" Okay, now her mother was plainly overreacting. She was nineteen and when people around her age were living in living communities or dorms with strangers, then she would manage her cousin somehow. At least she wouldn't have to fear that her roommate would be a or an annoying girl. That was an advantage, right. 

"I'm sure Soojin will be fine, sweetheart." Kwangsoo was smiling down at his 5"3 'tall' wife. It was probably one of the most amusing sights Soojin ever witnessed. The second her mother introduced her to the 6 feet tall man, the girl had to force the upcoming laughter down . It wasn't only funny to see the huge height difference, but also made her mother look like a high school student next to him. However, since when does height play an important role in relationships? Soojin was not /that/ mean.

"See, mom? Even Kwangsoo says it'll be okay; and if you won't let me go now, I will miss my train." It was rare that Soojin used Kwangsoo in an argument or discussion but she always did it when she wanted to win or convince her mother that she was right. Just like now. The girl only had ten minutes left until her train would depart and she wasn't a huge fan of waiting hours and hours until a new one arrives. 

Therefore she enveloped her mom into the last bone crashing hug and even offered Kwangsoo a sincere and bright smile, another thing she rarely did. Her delicate hands then grabbed a hold of the two suitcases next to her and carried them through the mechanical doors of the express train. Once she was in, she carefully turned (she had another huge backpack on) and waved at her mother and Kwangsoo. Somehow she didn't even feel sad. It was some kind of adventure that would form her as a woman and give her the opportunity to experience things on her own. 

The more she thought about it the more appealing this trip sounded to her and by the time the doors of the train closed again, another bright smile was decorating her full lips. This would be her adventure, her own experience and she'd be the one that can come home and talk hours about nice and not so nice things that happened. She would be the one to feel mature and talk about things other people her age did not have the chance to experience. Pride and excitement was flowing through her veins and in this moment every little doubt vanished into thin air. She gave a last small wave before she turned and made her way through the aisles of the train which oddly enough smelled like grease and McDonalds fries. 

After a small argument with an old lady she accidentally touched with her suitcase, Soojin finally found a place to sit. To her luck it was a window seat and the seat next to her didn't seem to be occupied yet so she could easily place her backpack there and everything else that didn't fit into the overhead compartment. 

After she was comfortable enough to block the noise around her out with her IPod- a crying kid that was running and stomping through this section of the train - she turned her head to see the scenery outside moving already. Buildings and streets were crowded with people and Soojin was sure that moving into a smaller city wouldn't be so bad, was she never a fan of busy people and places. With every building that was passing by, the girl grew more excited.

Twenty minutes into the ride though, someone suddenly placed her backpack on her lap. Soojin was about to open and complain about how rude it is to simply touch other peoples belongings but as she turned her head there was a boy grinning widely at her as if he did nothing wrong. "Excuse you? You could have told me you wanted to sit here. That's not a reason to simply touch my stuff." Don't get her wrong. Soojin was a very polite girl, but to elders and authorities. She had no respect whatsoever for the messy and unmannerd youth around her age.

"Oh, still as witty as ever, Soojin." Wait, what? "I don't even get a thanks that I've been running around in this train for half an hour in order to find your damn seat and surprise you. I can't believe an ungrateful person like you was my right hand back then in Get It."

"Wait.. Jinyoung?"