자존심 the contract

The 13th Time

A loud roar echoed across the dark forest, making the trees shake and the ground quiver. The bundle of paranoid teenagers froze in place as they contemplated their next move. Should they continue on with this crazy mission? It's not like creatures were unknown anymore. They were everywhere. But, they didn't know just what was out there. 

Another roar made them scramble for the hills and back to civilization. 

"I'm telling you, never send a thunderbird to do a dragon's job," Kris was chuckling as he walked out of the foliage of the forest. He looked towards the adolescents, most of them crying for their mama. "That will keep them away better than a storm."

"Are you really that full of yourself? I'd expect nothing less from a dragon but don't you have any modesty?" Chen snapped, his hands buzzing with electricity. Jinae let out an aggravated sigh as her hand began to stand on end almost immediately, making her look like the bride of Frakenstein. She kept to Xiumin often, afraid to get close to any of the other creatures. Especially Sehun, who always looked like he could drain her dry at any moment. Chen would always make sure to keep the vampire at bay. 

"I'll show some modesty when you step up your game, thunderbird," Kris shot back, smirking that smug little smile of his. It looked utterly charming and charismatic. He was clearly one of the best dragons because of that. How? A dragon's strength can be proven by how proud he is, or in other words, how conceited he is in human form.

"We need to find a place to stay, to bond," D.O explained, looking towards all the creatures he gathered, "We all can't go on a journey to find the others, there are too many complications."

"What do you mean by that?" Jinae asked, looking towards the others. She wondered if she was the only one with "complications", seeing as how the other creatures were clearly so capable. 

"For one, you, Luhan, Baekhyun, Sehun and Xiumin cannot fly. Travelling by air is not an option. For two, only Baekhyun can travel underground effortlessly. Anxieties beyond repair happen for us flying creatures when we're beneath the earth. For three, Sehun, Xiumin, Kris and Baekhyun need a constant supply of meat and/or blood. They can't be in isolated places for too long. For four, it's just faster if a small group goes," D.O told the human, smiling so politely that Jinae had to smile back. She nodded to show her understanding but said nothing more on the situation. 

Xiumin pressed his lips together and hummed in thought. "There's an old abadoned warehouse just before the city turns into the forest. Maybe we can all stay there. It's spacious and insulated. We'd be safe from the oncoming winter. The city and the forest both provide steady food supply," the wendigo suggested. 

"No, that is not an option, I'm afraid," Kris suddenly interjected, clicking his tongue, "I have to stay here. I came to Luhan's help because it didn't violate my contract. This does. Beyond words, I can't do this."

Dragons, see, have a very strict code by which they live by. Most of their lives are spent keeping contracts with all sorts of criteria and dealers. Some would protect a castle and the princess inside from oncoming intruders. Others would protect endless treasure for thousands of years on end. These contracts are all bound by blood magic, forcing the dragon and the dealer alike to live out the contract until something violates it or the contract's period is up. When some clause is violated, whoever committed the misconduct will burn from the inside out, the blood in their bodies spontaneously combusting. When the period is up, the contract itself will burn on the spot, wherever it may be, and both parties are free. Dragons without contracts are viewed lowly amongst their community and the cleaner their contract record is, the higher their social status. Kris was respected, for he had no stain on his record. 

"Can't you convince the other party to violate your contract somehow? This needs to be done. Even I know that," Chen growled towards the dragon.

"That'd put a stain on my record. I can't sacrifice that!"

"You foolish, proud dragon!" Chen seethed. 

"It's okay, can't we just wait the contract out?" Kai asked to help balance out the situation. 

"It's only for a few more weeks, no need to worry. The contract is simply keeping watch of this wealthy family," Kris muttered, shrugging his arms. 

"What family?" Sehun asked. "Shouldn't you go to them, right away?"

"This is my last day to roam free before I go back to the family. He had given me a week off. You might know of them, you city creatures. He goes by the name if Jinsook Joo."

And just like that, Jinae fainted, Sehun the only fast enough to respond and catch her before she hurt herself. For Jinsook was her father's name.