욕심 what is normal?

The 13th Time

"All I ever tried to do was be nice to people. Show... everyone that I was more. I was more than what they thought me to be."

"You tried to be the same as everyone else."

A sigh. "Yeah, I guess I was."

There was a pause. A long, agonizing pause. "Everyone else is not the world. I hope that you know that. You mean more to this world than what 'everyone else' thinks. People will overlook you. People will slander you. Cast you out for being different. It's what people do. But the world will never shut you out. After all, if it had wanted you gone, it would've done that a long time ago."

A warm chuckle escaped from his throat. "You have a way of tying everything into nature and whatnot, don't you?"

Luhan let out a sheepish smile and nodded. He lifted his hand up and a small smeedling sprouted from his hands, wrapping around his palm and fingers. "Nature is everything. More than 'everyone else' and more than society. It is our life force, although humans tend to forget it. It is the world."

With a soft sigh, Xiumin looked towards his good friend. The elf had a soft face and his eyes were fixated on the small seedling that now wrapped around his wrist comfortably. "I know..." His Adam's apple dropped and rose as an audible gulp wisped through the air. He looked down once more, suddenly groaning.

He hasn't eaten in five days. 

"I'm hungry," Xiumin muttered, gripping his stomach. His chubby cheeks puffed out in the slightest way, his lips becoming a thin, tight line. Chocolate brown orbs shone with such a shame that it made Luhan look away. "I don't think a deer is going to fix it this time, Lu..."

Luhan's eyes flickered towards the wendigo before he looked towards the prospering seedling. Almost instantly, it turned into a rustic brown and withered into a crumple of dead leaves. The waste scattered into the wind as Luhan dropped the remnants of the plant. His voice was soaked with defeat as he murmured, "I have one last question for you."

The words seemed profound in the way Luhan seemed so final about the statement. It was almost as if he didn't expect Xiumin to come back. Xiumin was already standing, his hands resting awkwardly at his sides. A simple nod, without emotion, signalled Luhan to say whatever he wanted to. Luhan's doe-like eyes shimmered with the smallest slice of happiness. His lips tugged into an small, uneven smile. 

"Choose someone truly greedy. I may have no desire to eat flesh but I know for a fact that the most spoiled mind serves for the best meat. A wealthy CEO for an oil company, for example. Do it for me, please?" Luhan asked with an affirmative nod. His tone was light and playful. However, Xiumin knew that he was being stone-cold serious. There was something – a twitch in the corner of his eyes, perhaps – it gave his seriousness away. 

He had a soft smile on, a smile that Xiumin hardly wore. It was different from he times he joked or tried to cover his feelings up. Of course, he had a genuine smile that brightened the room. This wasn't it. It was somber, so filled with melancholy that it almost appeared as a desperate cry for help. "I will, Lu. Just for you."

The elf's ears twitched as his head snapped towards something in the forest. Luhan had stood up from the rock he was sitting on, squinting towards something that was most likely miles into the distance. He clenched his fists tightly. Xiumin was a little startled; Luhan was never this tense to an intruder inside his forest. 

Without warning, Luhan bound off, running with almost impossible speed. The wendigo had a hard time focusing on him as he ran into the forest. He was tempted to follow. But he knew that he did not want to be there. For whatever reason, Luhan was not a pretty sight when provoked. 

Gurgles came from the Xiumin's stomach, frustrated and impatient. His sigh was burdened and heavy. He knew he did this to survive. But for some reason, hunting a human did not just seem normal. 

He started jogging towards the city, his mind clouded from the sheer weight of society's cruel gazes towards him. It struck his spirit with such a fiery blade that Xiumin couldn't help but feel worthless. Humans had a way of doing that – to themselves, to other creatures, to nature and to the Creator. 

Hunting a human for survival was not normal. So, it begged the question: what is normal?

Was hunting a human for greed normal? Humans do that to each other all the time...

What is normal?