No.3

Born To Love You

Tiffany was climbing a tree in her shorts and baggy shirt. The smug look on her face as she manage to reach to the highest branch before returning back to the ground and continuing too climb again and eventually stop on the 2nd branch and sit on it. Her eyes moves to her father who was sitting at the stairs looking all worried as if he was in deep thinking. She wanted to call him but she waited for a few minutes.

Old Man Hwang was recalling the conversation that he had with his fellow friends. It won't stop replaying like a broken record in his head. The whole night, he had been thinking about it. It felt as if what they say is the truth but, Tiffany is the main problem right now. Old Man Hwang didn't meant to be insulting but who wanted a tomboy girl as their wife? Immediately his eyes went to her only daughter who was resting on the tree branch. He could only sigh as he saw this.

"What did I do wrong in raising her?" He begin to mutter to himself as he massage his temple.

"Maybe what they say is true. If I'm gone, who will look after Fany? Her studies are the most embarassing ever.... If I were to marry her with anyone, my wealth will automatically fall to her but then her husband will get it. What if they agree to marry her because of her wealth? Then they will divorce her and she will be penniless and starve at the streets. Or worst..." Old Man Hwang stop talking and groan.

"Why do you have to be born as a female, Fany-ah... No, why do you have to follow the traits of a boy, Fany.... Why..."

From the tree branch, Tiffany kept her eyes on her father. He kept on talking to himself and shaking his head. Tiffany had chuckle to see her father weird antics.

"Why are you acting all crazy, Appa?!" She asked out loud. Old Man Hwang look up and sigh again.

Old Man Hwang look up to meet Tiffany smile. Indeed it is true, Tiffany do have a killer eye-smile and she got that from her late mother. But seeing that her daughter was up on a tree and acting like a boy, he sigh again.

"Fany-ah, get down from that tree. What if the boys sees you like that?"

Tiffany snorted before jumping down making Old Man Hwang yelled at her.

"FANY-AH! You could get hurt! Idiot little girl!"

"Sheesh, Appa... I'm not hurt. Why are you nagging anyway? I'm only 20 years old so, it's fine. No boys want to..."

"That's exactly my point, daughter! You are 20 and you should change your lifestyle! You should be the butterfly that break from it's cocoon and fly beautifully, showing off it's beautiful wings instead of being the coccoon! Why aren't you like other girls who wanted to flaunt their skins, wear make-up? Why are you being such a nun?"

Tiffany clamp her hand on . Hearing her father saying such ridiculous words make her laugh. Old Man Hwang glared at her.

"Appa, you're funny... Why am I being such a nun..." She mimic her father words with her own hand gestures before bursting into laughters.

"This is not funny, Miyoung."

Tiffany frown as her father call her by her korean name. She hates it when her father uses that.

"Seriously Appa, chill. I don't feel comfortable wearing those dresses and making those substances on my face. If they love me, they should love me as me. It's not the outside that is beautiful, it's the inside..."

Old Man Hwang sigh for the nth time. This talking is taking his energy up and all he do is talking with his daughter. She really has her mother attitude.

"If you don't change Fany, people will not marry you. If people won't marry you then how do you expect to live? What will happen to you if I die and you are unmarried and won't change your attitude? Will you become an old sprinster?"

"Why are you forcing me to marry someone when I'm not ready. Do you hate me? Am I a burden to you?"

Her eyes glister and Old Man Hwang know that he had hurt her daughter. No matter how strong Tiffany show herself, deep inside she's still fragile. He pull her daughter to seat beside her and wrap his arms around her daughter shoulder. Tiffany rested her head on her father chest.

"I don't hate you, Fany. I love you so much, daughter. No, you are not a burden in my life. You're the best gift ever. I know you are not ready, well I wasn't ready when I marry your mother but things change for the better. Let me tell you something, every parents wants to see their daughter walk down the aisle. They wanted to see their daughter happily married. Every parents want to see their child married and live a happy life with kids and all. After your brother left Stephanie, you're the only precious I have. I want to see you married. I'm old love, if I die soon, what will happen to you?"

"You are not old, Appa. You just aged... and has wrinkle and... well you can't die yet! I'm not 30 so you can't die! If you do, I will make sure to disturb your grave with the things you hate..."

Old Man Hwang laughed, pinching his daughter nose before kissing her temple.

"If I marry, who will look after you? Clearly I will be ask to follow my husband. Then if that happen, I will have to abandon you. What kind of daughter will I be if I abandon you?"

"The good daughter. You can't expect to be under my armpirt your whole life. You should explore the world. The magic world of marriage.... Besides, I can take care of myself. Give me some credit, daughter! I am still strong! I still have muscle. I have biceps that the ahjummas are dying..."

"More like flabby arms..." Tiffany comment making both of them laugh.

"So, you will get married?" Old Man Hwang asked and Tiffany sigh.

"Sure.... whatever... if that make you happy..."

 

 

 

 

A week has past since Luhan went to the wedding shop. It was a hectic one week and he force himself to forget everything. Everything was happening so fast that he didn't had time to recall anything either. Especially the call from a few hours ago. An emergency call from Korea. That call had cause his insufficent beauty sleep. How dare they do such a thing to him?! They say that the light speed is hard to see with your eye but Luhan beg to disagree. Light speed is so fast that you can't see. Luhan had to chuckle... Those sciencetist are bunch of nugus... They hadn't see his mother driving... It's so fast that even the police car can't see them.

Her speed was so speedy that when Luhan closes his eyes and when he open them, he's there at the airport. No actually, that's a lie. It take them around 5 minutes to arrive to the airport with his mother lightning speed driving. Sometime Luhan wonder, is she car racer before. His mother is very surprisng. As the reach the departure hall, his mother was dumping all of their luggage on the trolley before pushing in a speed. Luhan stop to turn to his father.

"Dad, what actually happen?" Luhan asked as he watch his mother move like a ninja. Luhan was amazed.

"Your uncle in Korea, Mr Hwang had fall in the bathroom and we are visiting him."

"That old man?"

"Yah! He's my brother! Don't call him old man. He's just aged and has wrinkle." Mr Lu replied before walking ahead, leaving Luhan alone.

 

 

 

 

The police siren echo as they were chasing after a speedy car. Luhan turn to face the police car and back to his mother who was driving like a mad woman. Mr Lu was clutching onto the handle and praying that he will be alive while Sohee was rolling her eyes.

"We are so going in jail..." Sohee whisper out loud.

"Mom stop the car! We are chased by the cops! I don't want to enter jail!"

At this Mrs Lu press the brake and everyone hit to the front. The policeman knock on the window and began to talk with Mrs Lu.

"Speeding is a..."

"Police officer Sir, I'm sorry but we are having an emergency. It's a live or death situation. My brother-in-law fall in the bathroom and we are visiting him right now. If you could just speed things up and just let me of with a warning or fine me, I will be glad. I fear that my brother-in-law will die before we reach there."

"Oh... I see. I will let you off with a warning Maam. But if this repeat, you are coming with me to the office department."

"Thank you Sir!"

 

 

 

 

"STEPHANIE! STEPHANIE! OPEN THE DOOR! STEPHANIE!"

No one answer nor the door was open. Mrs Lu turn to her husband.

"Honey, what if he's the dead?! What if on the way to the hospital, he died?! He's dead! My dream did not come true! OMO.... HONEY, HE'S DEAD!!!!!!!"

Mrs Lu was becoming hysterical. She wailed and scream around while Sohee was shaking her head at her mother stupid actions. Luhan was staring quiet. Lucky for him, there's no one there to witness such embarassing moment. Mr Lu was comforting his wife.

"He might be in the hospital or clinic, Honey... Breath in and out..."

"No.. no.. no.. he's dead, I tell yah.. Dead... De..."

While she was being hysterical, someone was walking behind her and a slight touch on her shoulder causes Mrs Lu to turn and with the sight of Old Man Hwang, she fainted.

"Gho.. ghost..."

Sohee chuckled.

"She break down..." She comment with a smirked, snapping her mother unconscious body.

"Hyung, you are here and allright too..." Mr Lu speak.


"Yes. Yes... and still breathing... Take her to the guest room. She must be tired."

Luhan carried his mother and went to the guest room with Sohee. While Mr Lu and Old Man Hwang went to the living room instead. They sit and Mr Lu was searching for someone.

"Are you searching for Tiffany?"

"Yeah, where is she?"

"She's at the river behind our house. You know how she is when there's visitor in the house. She will hide away fearing that people want her hand in marriage... What will I do with her."