Chapter 1

Family Ties

Your POV

“I hate you all”

They all turned towards you, their faces turned ghostly white.

“You don’t mean that” Your oldest brother said.

You chuckled as you looked at all your brothers. “I.Hate.You” you said for the final time before walking out the door.

I know what you’re thinking. That was a bit rude. Are you by any chance PMSing? To get you to understand, I should start from the beginning. My name is Kim Jihae. I’m 21 years old. I have 6 brothers. I know that’s a lot, but it gets interesting. You see out of my 6 brothers, only 2 are my biological siblings. My older brother, Kim Joonmyun but you can call him Suho and my twin brother, Kim Jongin but you can call him Kai. I was fortunate enough to be born into a very wealthy family. My parents both come from two successful business names and funnily enough, they fell in love and become the most powerful couple in all of Asia. They had 3 kids but according to my parents, it wasn’t enough. They wanted to share the love to those who were less fortunate than us and that’s when my 4 adopted brothers came in. I remember when I was young; my parents came home one night with 4 boys. I was too young to know what was going on but I later found out that my parents have adopted them. I didn’t have a problem with it because to me it meant more siblings to play with however the feeling wasn’t mutual when it came to my 2 brothers. Suho and Kai hated that there were 4 new boys living in the house. It’s not that they didn’t want to share what we have but it was more about the fact that our parents hardly paid attention to the 3 children they already have so why add on 4 more? Fortunately the hate quickly went away, soon Suho and Kai got to know our brothers and everybody quickly become close and we became a family. So now I had 4 new brothers, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, D.O and Sehun.  Growing up with them was fun; we got everything that we wanted. People took care of us; we went to the most expensive schools. Our parents gave us everything. I remember when we were young; the whole family went to the mall. We walked past a toy store and my 4 new brothers stared in awe at all the toys inside. My parents saw this and asked them if they wanted to go in. They were excited to be surrounded by toys however for Suho, Kai and I it wasn’t anything new. So when Sehun asked my parents if they could buy a toy, you should have seen the look on their faces when my parents told them to get whatever they want. It took them awhile to realise that ‘whatever’ didn’t mean just one toy so that day we came home with a truck full of toys.

I sighed as I looked at my phone, over 30 missed calls all from my brothers. I turned off my phone and placed it back in my pocket. I didn’t want to talk to my brothers; I didn’t want to talk to criminals.

That’s what I don’t understand. I know that people often become desperate and break laws to survive but what I don’t get is why my brothers are breaking the law. We weren’t poor, we didn’t need the money. Heck none of us ever have to work because we were that lucky so explain to me why my brothers felt the need to be involved in the underground business of drugs?

I needed to talk to someone, not just any person but someone who I know I can trust. Someone who’s been there for me through everything, my best friend. I took out my phone and dialled his number.

“Tao” I whispered, feeling drained out.

“Where are you?” He asked as I told him my location. “Be there soon”

And true to his word, he arrived within minutes. I looked at him before bursting into tears. Tao sat next to me and hugged me as he whispered comforting words. I hugged him as I continued to cry.

I met Tao when I was 10 years old. I was on my way to school when I saw a boy looking lost. I approached him and asked him if he needed help. It turned out he was new in Korea. His family had just moved here from China and he didn’t know how to get to his new school which was the same school as mine. I smiled at him and told him that I would accompany him to our school and the rest was history. I later found out that he was a year older and although he insists on me calling him Oppa, I never budged. I only ever call him that if I needed something.

“Your brothers are looking for you” He murmured as he kissed my head. Before you get ahead of yourself, Tao and I are not and will never be in that kind of a relationship. I never felt a spark with Tao and when I confronted him about it he felt the same. We’re strictly friends, best friends.

“I don’t want to talk about them” I groaned as I pulled away.

“What happened?” Tao asked me as he gave me his jacket. In the heated moment, I had walked out wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt and the weather was beginning to get cold.

“My brothers are running an underground drug business” I told Tao, there was no point in lying to him. I expected him to say some sort of a response but when I looked at up, I saw him looking ahead and biting his lip which meant one thing, he was hiding something.

I stared at him before realising “You knew?!” I yelled as I hit his shoulder. He flinched.

“Yeah, sort of” He mumbled.

“What do you mean sort of?” I made him face me. “You either know or you don’t” I waited for him to reply.

“Huang Zi Tao, you better tell me the truth right now” I demanded. He sighed as he looked at him.

“Okay, don’t hate me” He smiled.

“Speak” I said. “Now”

He took my hands and looked at me “I know what your brothers do” he started as I nodded, clearly understanding that part.

“But the thing is” he stopped as he squeezed my hand. “I’m in the same business” He mumbled the last part but still loud enough for me to hear. I removed my hands from his.

“So what you mean is” I started “My brothers are drug dealers and so are you”

There was silence “Yeah I guess that sounds right”

“Right?!” I yelled as I looked at him “You think that sounds right?!” I punched Tao’s shoulder

“Ow” He mumbled.

“I don’t believe this” I looked up at the dark skies. “I’m surrounded by criminals”

“Oh there’s one more thing” Tao spoke as I looked at him. “My own group, our enemies are your brothers”

Great, just great. Not only did I find out that both my brothers and best friend are drug dealers, they’re also enemies. Thank goodness it’s Friday.