The Coffee Shop

Artificial Love

The coffee shop was tedious and loud, stuffy even. It had been exactly one week since Joanne had been dragged out of her room, rather unwillingly, by her friends Lola and Kara. After having been dressed in a waitress’ black apron she was shoved out of her room and into the busy little café that sat on her street corner.

She didn’t blame them however, not one bit. After all, had it not been for her friends she would probably still be huddled in the centre of her bed, hugging her knees and staring blindly at her bedroom wall. Although she had been annoyed at the time, she understood that it was in her best interests that her friends didn’t allow this to continue for more than a week, God knows how bad she would be right now if they had.

However, the coffee shop had helped somewhat, at least it kept her hands and mind busy enough for Joanne to avoid dwelling too deeply on the fact that her perfect, and somewhat philosophic boyfriend was gone. The fact that he didn’t belong to the same species as Joanne had bothered her only slightly in the beginning but, aside from a (very cute) facial glitch every time he smiled, it would be near-impossible to tell that Chanyeol was actually a robot. After having her heart so badly broken it was hard for Joanne to go about ordinary daily life and so the emotion which was most prominent in her during those harsh first few weeks was utter dejection.

“Sorry what was that?” Joanne snapped out of her brooding thoughts and collected yet another person’s order. You would think that a café in such a quiet neighbourhood would have less customers but no. At least her boss, Kim Jongin was immediately sympathetic after having heard the story from her friends. He cut her a lot of slack and allowed her breaks whenever she felt the need to.

When it came round to closing time the place was deserted apart from a young boy of about eleven or twelve. He had bright rainbow-coloured hair that stuck up on end and a cheeky atmosphere about him.

“So, what’s your name little boy?”

“Sehun, Oh Sehun. And who are you calling a little boy? I’m already twelve you know!” The boy’s snobby tone reinforced the image of a troublemaker in Joanne’s mind.

“Just wanted to let you know that it’s already seven so I’m afraid that I need to close up. Why don’t you head on home before it gets too late?”

Sehun bowed his head and slowly rose out of his seat, although to some people it might seem as if he was dragging out time just to annoy everyone, Joanne could see the reluctance in his eyes when he was told that he had to leave the shop. What was wrong with him? And more importantly why did Joanne suddenly begin to care so much about others?

D-86


A.N: I'm sorry that the story has moved so slowly, I needed to introduce the characters and explain a little of what had happened before. What do you think is the matter with Sehun?

Please do comment and subscribe!!!