My First Step Ahead

Noona

Chapter 3

“Can we talk?” It was on weekend. Min Ho was reading a newspaper at the garden when Min Ah came with her innocent face. The face which never failed to make Min Ho agrees to all what she wants.

Min Ho folded the newspaper and put it aside. He stared into Min Ah’s eyes, telling her to start talking.

Min Ah placed an envelope on the table in front of Min Ho. Min Ho frowned up before he grabbed the envelope and pulled a piece of certificate out. His eyes were focused on the certificate. He then put the certificate on the table before he looked back at Min Ah.

“And?” He coldly asked.

Listening to that one word made Min Ah wanted to flip the table. She couldn’t bare it with Min Ho. Slowly she sipped in the evening air to calm herself from doing things which might spoil her plan.

“You know it’s not a piece of junk, right? I have sacrificed almost everything just to get that certificate.”

“Yes, I know. You even sacrificed your family trust for that certificate, right?” Min Ah bit her lower lip, holding back the urge to curse. Min Ho made fun of Min Ah to test her.

“Let’s not talk about that issue.” Min Ah’s face was totally red. She really couldn’t let the anger out for her own good.

“Why not? You said you want to talk.” Min Ho was having so much fun right now. He knew there’s something that Min Ah wanted from him.

“Look, I have my own reason for lying. I know you have the right to know about my illness but I need time to explain. Do you think it’s easy to just say ‘Min Ho, I have brain cancer.’?” Min Ah huffed under her heavy breath before she continued.

“That piece of paper means everything to me. That piece of paper also a guarantee I can achieve my dream. If you are doing this because what I did, then I am sorry for neglecting your right as a brother. This is my only dream in my whole life. I beg you; please, let me do what I want. As doctor yourself, I ask you, how long do you think I can stand on my feet and talk back to you?” Min Ah shocked Min Ho with her question. Min Ho’s eyes were all red. He was fighting with his own self. He still didn’t want to accept what Min Ah said.

Min Ah stepped forward and sat next to Min Ho. She softly pulled Min Ho hand into hers.

“Oppa, what are you afraid of? Do you ever ask yourself why Min Woo treats me so well even I lied to him?” Min Ah drew a heart shape on Min Ho palm.

“…because, he loves me. He trusts me. Although he himself has no idea what I think. He doesn’t want to regret if he lost me in the future.” Min Ho ruffled Min Ah’s hair.

“I don’t want to regret too, Min Ah. I hurt you because I am hurt. It’s not because you lied, it’s because you are leaving. I am too scared to wake up in the morning without you. When our parents left, I promised myself not to lose my family again. But now, this is a nightmare for me. Why Min Ah? Why you?” Min Ho pulled Min Ah into his arms.

“Oppa, don’t say that. You are not alone. Min Woo is hurt too. I’m hurt too. It’s not our choice, it’s our fate.”

*********

“Noona! What are you doing?” Min Woo quickly grabbed Min Ah into the house. He was so glad Min Ho is not around.

“Yah, Min Woo! You hurt me!” Min Ah angrily pulled her hand.

“Are you crazy? What are you doing with the pots and soils under the sun? Noona, do you want to die? Hyung will..”

“Will what?” Min Ho suddenly appeared from behind.

Min Woo quickly pulled the curtain, so that Min Ho wouldn’t see what Min Ah did outside.

“Nothing!” Min Woo faked out a smile and was about to pull Min Ah away.

“Where are you going? Why you are pulling Min Ah away? Don’t disturb her! She has a project to be done.” Min Ho looked serious.

“Project? What project?” Min Woo turned to Min Ah, waiting for an explanation.

Min Ah smirked at him and proudly pull the curtain.

“Tomorrow, few students from my university will visit my garden. I’m going to show few things to them about my research.”

“But, you’ll burn under the sun. How about your headache? Hyung? Do you know about this? Do you agree?” Min Woo a bit anxious. He’s afraid Min Ho might get mad at him and Min Ah.

Min Ho nodded without a word.

Min Woo’s eyes widened. He’s about to faint on the floor. Why his brother changed his mind like he changed his cloth? Min Woo looked at Min Ah with a suspicious look.

Min Ah winked at him and went outside to continue what she’s been doing.

Min Woo followed from behind. He came closer to Min Ah and pulled her to the backyard.

“Noona, what did you do to hyung? Do you use spell? Oh my, do you poison him?” Min Ah pinched Min Woo’s arm so hard to punish him for accusing her.

“I’m not a witch. You know I always win right?” Min Ah smirked and walked away. She secretly felt grateful Min Ho finally had agreed with her plan.

************

Min Ah was having breakfast with her brothers at the dining table. Min Woo was not in a perfect shape. He was still thinking of this and that regarding Min Ah.

“When are they coming?” Min Ho asked as Min Ah poured some coffee in his cup.

“Around eleven o’clock, maybe.” Min Ah looked so neat although she was only in a shirt and jeans.

“Min Woo, are you going with me or your own?” Min Ho turned around to Min Woo who has staring away and not answering.

“Min Woo?!” Min Ho raised his voice a bit. Min Woo suddenly stood on his feet and look straight to Min Ho.

“Yes, hyung?” Min Woo looked clueless.

“Are you going with me or your own?” Min Ho frowned up his eyebrows. Min Ah giggled silently.

“Coming, hyung!” Min Woo answered. Min Ah then started cleaning up the table.

“Noona, sorry I can’t help.” Min Woo patted Min Ah’s shoulder.

“It’s okay, just go.” Min Ah stopped awhile and watched her brothers walked together to the front door.

“What’s wrong with you Min Woo? You don’t look well lately. Do you want to do a medical check-up? Just come meet me at the hospital after school. Or, you can just rest at home.” Min Ah can clearly hear Min Ho who was nagging at Min Woo.

“No, hyung. I’m totally fine. You don’t have to worry.” Min Woo tried to ensure Min Ho.

“It’s just I noticed that you haven’t paid much attention to your surroundings. You are not alert like normally.” The next conversation between the two brothers were then can’t be heard by Min Ah.

 

*************

“Hello?” Chen answered the phone call.

“Chen, it’s me Min Woo.” Min Woo made a short call during his recess time at school.

“Min Woo, can you call me after school hour? I’m in class. I’m sorry, Min Woo. Bye.”

“It’s okay. Bye.” His disappointed face attracted a girl to sit next to him.

“What’s wrong? Got problem with your girl?” Ji Ae asked while her eyes busy watching other boys playing at the field.

“Seems like that, but she’s not my girlfriend. A sister can give you problem too. Bigger problem than girlfriend’s problem, trust me.” His answer made Ji Ae gave out a cute small laugh.

Min Woo secretly glared at Ji Ae before he asked,

“How can a girl who laughs politely still exist in this world?” Ji Ae who suddenly felt awkward with the question just kept silent.

 

 

 

 

First chapter after being hiatus for moths.. Glad to be back! *throw hearties* Please give your love.. - Lee :)