2/2

Story Endings

"Your wife. Her life is at risk because of this pregnancy. According to her previous records, she has a very weak womb. And this, her giving birth, might be the cause of her death. She has 85% chance of dying." He was dumb founded by all the information delivered to him. It wasn't helping that his wife was sobbing around his arms.

"What options do we have to save her?"

He tried to sound strong. For the love of this life. He knew she needed him then more than ever. She needed him to be his pillar. He needed to be the one that would give her all support she needed.

"We can save her. But it would mean that we need to abort the baby. Soon." It felt like the couple was soaked with ice cold water, their blood running cold. They were being asked to choose. He needs to choose between two people that he loves so much and cherished. But he couldn't lose Hyuna.

"Then let's do it. Abort the baby." His voice faltered a bit. But he remained stern. While on the other hand, his wife looked bewildered hearing him suggest something like that boldly. They were after all talking about their child. The life they have conceived with love.


"K-Kris. Don't. P-Please. I c-can't do that to our c-child. We can't l-lose it like that Kris. Please. I'm begging you." She cried and she did beg him. They were given a week to think and talk about it. But she remained firm on what she wanted.

"I can't lose you." It was hard for him too. Once she abort the baby, she won't have the chance of bearing another child. Both were afraid of that thought. She was scared that he would leave her because she wouldn't be capable of providing him the family he always wanted.

"I'm begging you Kris. Let's keep it. I want our baby to live." She sobbed in his arms again. Her cries tugged at his heart. And with closed eyes, he accepted her decision. Even if it meant that he would lose her.

 

"Always remember that I love you Kris. You and our baby. I want you to be happy with her. Love her for me. Always tell her that I love her." They were only a week away before her due date. And she had been in constant pain. It pained him like hell seeing his wife suffer right in front of his eyes. But it hurts most, hearing her say goodbye already. What made everything worst was that there's nothing he could do but watch. He could only wish it was him in pain. She was suffering for the life of their daughter.


"K-Kris. It hurts." She whispered in pain. They were inside the delivery room. The time he was afraid to come. Because there was only 15% chance of her to survive. All he prayed for was for the 15% chance to save her.

"It will pass baby. I know you can do it." He kissed the back of her hand that he was holding on to. He could see her pain through her tears and her cries were killing him too. His own tears were threatening to fall. He couldn't stand watching her go through such pain. She was fighting for her dear life.


Minutes which felt like hours for him went on. Finally, the room was filled with a new born's cry.. He let his tears pour out as he watched how his wife stare at the little baby girl on her arms. She was in tears too. And both knew that their time together is almost ending.

"She's so beautiful Kris." She was weak. Her voice was so quiet that her words sounded as whispers. And his heart clenched. He was bracing himself for the worst to come.

"Just like you babe." He flashed her a small smile. He was happy to see their daughter but knowing that they have limited time already, sadness was eating him up. 

"I love you Kris. You and her. It might only be nine months, but I love her as much as I love you. Always tell her that. Love her with all your life Kris." He pressed his forehead against hers, their tears nonstop. It was their goodbyes. He can feel it. And she knew it.

"I love you more than anything else Hyuna. And I always will." 

"I'm sorry I can't give you a happy ending."

The moment she closed her eyes, he knew she left him already. She left them. 

He cried in silence, giving his wife their last and final kiss. He caressed her face lovingly, for the last tine, with tears in his eyes. He would miss her, always. 


"Thank you for giving me our angel Hyuna." He whispered, his eyes lingering on the sleeping angel in front of him. The birthday of his daughter was the death of his beloved one, his other half. But he would never resent his daughter. He promise his wife that he would love her for the both of them. That he would protect her, and make her the center of his life. 

 

Years passed by so fast. He was still longing for her but there was someone who helped him moved on forward with a smile. She was his angel. The reason for his smiles everyday. She became the only light in his life. And he would do everything for her. Because she was his only daughter.  And she looks exactly like her mom. The rosy cheeks, the small lips, the pointy nose and her eyes. He can see his wife in her. And that's one thing he would always be grateful of. 

"Haneul?" He called softly as he entered his house. "Angel? Where are you?" He was holding a small bouquet of flowers. His daughter loved it every time he would come home bringing her flowers, something she picked up from her mom. He smiled at the memory of her as he was walking his way towards his daughter's bedroom. And there he found her talking to her mom's picture while she was busy scribbling n her notebook. It had been her habit ever since she learned to talk. She would always talk to her mom about her day at school and everything under the sun. It makes him smile seeing her like that. Despite her mom being gone, he knows that she can feel that she's closer to her.

"Daddy said we're going to visit you tomorrow after school mommy. And I'm really excited. I told my friends about it. They said they wanted to meet you too." The little girl giggled excitedly, her eyes never leaving what she's doing. "They can right mommy?" 

Silence.

"I'm going to pick the flowers for you tomorrow mommy. Because daddy said I always pick the best flowers for mommy. And he said that you love every flower I pick for you."

"Because you and mommy has the same taste. And they're all lovely." His smiled widened, seeing how the little girl ran to his arms and gave him a hug. That would be the best part of his everyday life. Feeling his daughter's warm embrace and her liveliness. She was indeed the light of his life.

 

He was standing in front of his wife's tombstone, his daughter kneeling as she silently offer a prayer for her mom. He listened to her whispers, a smile playing on his lips.

"Hi mommy. I hope you're doing fine there in heaven. Someday, I'll meet you there with daddy okay? And we'll go to Lotte World there in heaven."

"I miss you mommy. I miss you a lot. You're watching us from there right? I want to see you soon mommy. Me and daddy misses you a lot."

"Thank you mommy. Because you let me live. I promise I will be a good girl to daddy. I will eat lots of vegetables and do my homeworks everyday."

He was overwhelmed hearing his 6 years old daughter say all of those. He didn't even know how she was able to utter all those words like she wasn't her age. His daughter was indeed really smart.

"In every sad ending, there's always a happy ending behind it." He remembered how his wife quoted those words to him. And she was right. 

 

 

==

 

Word count: 1399