8th Grade - What Is Love

The feelings you never knew Kevin (Kris)

(Maye listen to this while reading? Italiced text are lyrics from http://daniasrt.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/exo-m-what-is-love-lyrics/)

This year, another day ordinary day at school - 8th grade at Guangzhou No.7 Middle School.

Waking up in a bed, I forgot I left your curtain slightly opened last night with the sun finally appearing today, not to mention your room being on the side the sun rises on, which then fills part of my room with the warm sunlight. Opening my eyes finally looking  up at the ceiling, holding out my left hand with your fingers stretched out like I'm reaching for something I can't obtain, letting the arm now drop back to the bed, rolling on to side of my body I stare at the clock which sits on the nightstand, hearing it slowly tick everytime the clocks sudden hand movements move.

Its just going to be an ordinary day again, I'll meet my friends, study, have lunch, study then after school tutoring, I have to keep my grades up. It never changes, all this life has been is just studying and trying to then get a top providing job. But being a daughter instead of a son was such a hard life compared to the older brother. He was the first son, who was also successful in his education, the one who would get constant praise. My family is traditional though so it can't be helped as guys are viewed more important. I don't want to keep trying but I have to.

Sitting upright in bed now, taking off the blanket slightly, I look down at my bag - it was a a normal black backpack, it looks like it wants to brea, I need to get a new one again. On the floor textbooks and exercise books were scattered across the floor in a disorderly manner. Letting out a sigh, it was now time to get out of bed, approacing the curtains you pull it to cover that little bit of sunlight. Whilst that happens mum suddenly calls out "Breakfast is ready" in return I just yell back "Yes". Quickly now, getting changed into my school uniform, and going to the bathroom which was just down the hall to brush my teeth, before going to the kitchen I return to my room to fetch my bag and gather the textbooks for today. Finally going into the kitchen for breakfast, the kitchen was small but it had space for everything and small area for dining. Mum had gotten a hot milo ready with some fresh bread that was still warm and brought from my favourite bakery. "Good morning's" are exchanged, while I sit at the table eating breakfast mum leaves the room as she has to get ready for work. Dad was already gone by this time, he had quite a demanding job as well as mum though, always thinking I got to be able to get a good job so I can look after my family.

After some time by myself mum reappeared and was ready for work, looking at me and the bag she took note that I need to buy a new one while writing it down on the list to do that was pinned on the fridge. After finishing I quickly washed my cup and plate moving it to the stand so it could dry. "Time to go then" mum had said, nodding my head, we both went to the door and sitting down on the little seat we had when changing shoes. Putting on my school shoes quickly  and walking out the door afterwards, double checking I had closed it and locked it. Walking out and then waiting for the elevator. Eventually outside it wasn't a cold day at all, the sun was still shining as I looked up into the sky, a few clouds were dancing aroun the sky, then getting into mums car it was time to go to school.

Mum had dropped me off close by and I started walking, it was only a short walk where I could have more time by myself til a friend noticed me on the way from her walk. "Hey, good morning!" a familiar voice shouted, turning around and waving, it was one of your long time friends you've known since forever, sharing everything and keeping each others secrets. "Did you know, theres going to be a new boy is coming to school I heard!", you looked at her oddly, for some reason new students didn't really bother me but everyone always made a fuss about it.

Only now do I know why and understand this - if you told me before that I would actually like you I would have laughed. I don't know what the feeling of liking or loving someone is you know, til I saw you a few more times in the halls with that smile and playing basketball so passionately.

Finally approaching school and class, it wasn't our class that had the new student, it was another close by which everyone would then go and see, not much would happen in school besides studying and club activities. But this was being spoken by quite a lot. It was already in our class that people were saying you're from Canada and that your Chinese was cute, did you know?

Many days had passed, my days would just repeat itself everytime everyday, we passed by quite a lot though Kris, I started noticing  you even if you haven't noticed me. I guess thats how it goes right? You were alot taller than me, had short hair like a few other boys at school, I guess maybe even generic hair? You stood out to me but how?

(I lost my mind ever since you walked into my sight)

I would start to enjoy school even a little bit because I could see you, that crush you would come into school to see for a tiny bit everyday. I think I'm starting to like you. When I would walk past with my friends they would nudge me but I didn't pay attention til they said my name, as I turned my head to look back at you, you had done the same when my name was shouted. Only then did I quickly face back then shyly looking onto the floor while walking with my friends, they noticed I had change only a little, was it because of you, I think it was, sometimes I wouldn't see anything else.

(When I’m around you my world get in slow motion)

I started wondering if I was in love? But I haven't felt like this before, it makes me happy. Even my close friend had started going out with a guy from another class, slowly she would disappear as I spent more time  by myself, but it was okay I would keep telling myself. If I could see you it would be okay, I would continue my studies and do my best, even though theres a few more years to go before I can do anything I wanted I have to try and get a grip of my life now. Did you know its thanks to you? I would stop feeling sad every so often, I won't call it depression, there isn't such a thing to us here. It was actually frown upon you know, we had to stay strong in my family. Sometimes getting help like that may be a weakness so I have to keep it all inside. Thats why my pain would slowly disappear when seeing you in the hall, or hearing the tiniest bit about you would make me smile.

(So please tell me if this is really love)

(Because of love, it will make me forget the pain I’ve felt in the past)

One time even at the dinner table I had asked my mum "What is love?", she looked at me and said with a stern face "you're not allowed  to date", it felt like my question was avoided. The feeling I felt inside I just wanted to confirm it, I've hear before about hearts beating faster - mine does only when I see you, no one else had made me feel like that. Is this what you would call a first love, a one sided love in fact? Even though I don't know much about you like I'm sure I liked you. I wanted to ask my friend, but she was always so busy, many things this year were speeding up, I remember everything still, also the match I watched that took my breath away which I'll mention later. I also remember when I heard how close you were with your mum, It was really nice to hear you know, it didn't feel like I was close to mine, I could see what it looked like though and it seems like pure happiness being able to be close. I loved how she was so supportive of you.

(But I’m just that desperate person who had fallen in love with you, you’ll slowly understand)

(I don’t know why but this feeling cannot be replaced)

Little did I know that you would have written a song in the future - Lullaby. It brought my eyes to tears hearing that, all the emotion that was put into it. I know how much you must have missed her, hoping you would see her again soon during your trainee days I hope.

I also didn't know how much time was left before we all would graduate from 8th grade though. I wish it hadn't happen to quick, I recall all these memories though and that night I looked into the sky and wished for my happily ever after, maybe with you one day, would I have the strength to suddenly say hi to you?

(Tonight as you draw the curtains open and made a wish into the sky)

(Just like a fairy tale with a happily ever after)

(After tonight, whether you’re sad, whether you’re happy, whether you’re in pain, i will never leave you)

(I just want to give you my eternally love)