Chapter 2

A New Beginning

2.

 

The whole class was in mourning the next day. The teacher was in front teaching but no one had the heart to listen. The teacher asked a question and waited 5 minutes for an answer, but none came.

 

“Minsoo.” Miss Park called out.

 

A guy with glasses looked up at her.

 

“Answer the question please.”

 

Minsoo shook his head and said.

 

“Sorry Miss, I didn’t listen.” He said regretfully.

“Jieun?”

“No… Sorry Miss…” A girl with short hair answered.

“Joe?”

 

The American boy shook his head.

 

“What’s up with all of you? Even though Minjee is gone doesn’t mean you people can choose to not listen to class!” Miss Park got frustrated and exclaimed.

“But Miss…” Naeun, Minjee’s best friend started saying.

“Minjee is only a class monitress, we can always appoint another one.” Miss Park ignored her and continued.

 

I slammed my table, irritated.

 

“You don’t sound sad that Minjee is gone. Even though she looked up on you and helped you the most. She’s our monitress, our star pupil, our family…” I trailed off, the continued, “Minjee is important in our lives, she passed away, and you’re here acting like nothing happened. What the hell is wrong with you?” I shouted the last sentence and ran out of the classroom.

 

“Yah Kim Yooji!” I heard her shouting but I ignored her and ran out of the building, and then the school gate.

 

Chunhee and his boys found me a few hours later, in the skate park, lying on the floor looking at the sky. He sat down beside me.

 

“So brother, I heard you ran out of the class today.” He teased.

“Shut up.” I snapped.

 

“Boss!” One of the boys shouted. “Let’s go!”

“Coming!” Chunhee shouted back.

 

He looked at me.

“You coming?”

“Where to?”

“Club.” He replied like it was nothing.

“I don’t feel like it.”

“Come on.”

“I don’t know how to drink, and I’m in school uniform.”

“Relax, no one will catch you…”

 

“Boss! Leave the scaredy-cat alone! Let’s go!”

“Yah!” I shouted.

“Rex. Don’t tease the chicken!” Another guy joked reproachfully.

 

I decided not to have the others look down on me.

 

“Alright, let’s go hyung.” I sat up, turning to face Chunhee.

“Right little brother, let’s go.” He smiled back at me.