Chapter 1

A New Beginning

1.

The lights went out, and the speakers started playing the soft music which I am supposed to sing to. I mentally slapped myself on my cheeks, took a deep breath, and stepped out onto the stage.

 

Yooji, you can do this. I thought to myself.

 

As the single spotlight shone on me, I held the microphone to my face and started singing to her favourite song.

 

“I love you~ Sarang handaneun ee mahl bak ggae neun, Hae jool mahl ee uhp naeyo… I love you ~ Eui mee uhp neun mahl ee dwae uht ji mahn, Saranghaeyo…”

 

I could see the sadness Chunhee-hyung had in his face. We were at the funeral of our friend and his girlfriend, Minjee, who had just passed away from an accident.

 

“Sarang ae bba ji gae mahn deul uht duhn Mi so loh nahl dduh na yo ~ Geu mi so ha na lo… Uhn jae la do geudaereul, Ha ja nael soo eet gae…” I ended the first half of the song and bowed my head, trying not to cry.

 

I opened my mouth to continue the rest of the songs but I choked up. Not knowing what to do, I started to walk off the stage but someone started singing as he stood.

 

Another friend of Minjee’s, I thought.

 

With the man singing with me, I calmed down enough to sing the last part of the song.

 

“Sarang ha jeen mahyo…”

 

After I ended the song, my tears started flowing out and I dabbed at my eyes with my sleeve. Looking at the seat of the person who sang, I noticed it was now empty and the previous occupant had already left.

 

Walking down the stage, I was pulled into a hug by Chunhee and the other friends of mine and I finally let my tears ran freely.