Chapter Two

Prince of the Underworld

The next morning proved what a horrible idea it was to go to this camp. Some genius thought it would be a great idea to blow a damn trumpet at 6 in the morning.  Kyungsoo groaned and snuggled deeper into his cocoon. He figure that no one would notice if he just didn’t show up, but damn that trumpet man and his trumpet for waking him up. He definitely planned on sleeping until noon and then maybe heading over to see what food was available, as per Kyungsoo tradition. When the trumpet finally stopped, Kyungsoo sighed and began his journey into the dream world once again.

 

Not minutes after his eyes drifted, Kyungsoo was stirred by someone rapping on the door. He decided to ignore the irritating noise and tried to submerse himself into the darkness of sleep once again. Honestly, why couldn’t he just sleep? What obligation was he held to that required him to be woken at such an ungodly hour?

“Kyungsoo Do! Kyungsoo, open the door!”

There it was. The voice of a demon prying him from the comfort of his burrito.  How could she? Why would she? What wrong has he done to deserve such treatment?

“Kyungsoo! Morning assembly is starting!”

Kyungsoo groaned and hoarsely whispered, “Let me sleep.” The Shadows graciously relayed the message to the front door, whispering it through bottom crack in between the door and floor.

 

Aria was surprised to say the least when she heard him whisper through the door.

She bent down and leaned close to the door “Kyungsoo?”

She could hear something stirring behind the door, but soon there was only silence. Aria tried knocking again. There was no way that she was going to give up and let him miss morning assembly. He might be the son of Hades, but Kyungsoo was still a camper and he needed to be properly introduced to the rest of the campers.

 

Aria continued knocking until she heard a very frustrated sound. It sounded like something between a groan and an angry yell. Stomping could be heard shortly thereafter and soon the door was being wretched open and a very disheveled Kyungsoo appeared before her.

“What. The hell. Do you want?” He gritted out the words as if he spitting.

There was a very dark aura around him that seemed almost tangible and Aria began to regret coming to wake him up. After all, this was the son of Hades. No, Aria thought, she shouldn’t be afraid of him just because of his father. A true demi-god showed courage and strength and she would make her mother proud.

“I’ve come to bring you to the morning assembly.” She breathed out.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Why in the hell would you?”

“Because, “ Aria stood up a little taller, “ I’m head of all the new campers and you’re a new camper. Now please get dressed for morning assembly; it’s where we introduce all the new campers.”

“So just me.” Kyungsoo sighed and growled out a “Fine.” And shut his door.

 


 

When he was finished getting dressed he peeked outside before opening the door, and sure enough Aria was standing there jiggling her leg impatiently.

Kyungsoo sighed again and finally opened the door greeting her with a smile. “Sorry, I’m not much of a morning person.”

Aria scoffed, “You don’t say?”

Kyungsoo decided to ignore the comment and let her live considering she let him build his own castle and wasn’t ignoring him, and followed her silently to morning assembly.

 

Morning assembly turned out to be more like Breakfast 2.0. Everyone was gathered in what appeared to be a dining hall lined with marble columns and no roof. Kyungsoo could see no food save for on the food on camper’s plates that was quickly disappearing. He had to do a double take when he saw a camper chug down a pink liquid and then placed a completely full cup of the same pink drink back on the table.

Aria caught his confused gaze and explained. “The food and drink can be whatever you want it to be. You just have to imagine it there and poof there it is.”

At that Kyungsoo’s entire attitude changed. “Are you serious?!” Holy ! That’s like the best thing I’ve ever heard since forever!”

Aria just laughed and guided him to the very front of the dining hall. She clapped to get the closest campers’ attention and soon the entire hall was quiet and attentive.

She cleared and raised her hands towards Kyungsoo. “We have a new camper today! His name is Kyungsoo Do; let’s make him feel welcomed!”

For some reason everyone clapped and it made Kyungsoo feel a bit weird as he realized that he knew absolutely no one in the whole camp. He was literally surrounded by strangers for the first time in his life. Suddenly he wanted nothing more than to go to his father and demand to be freed.

 

At his distress, the Shadows began to manifest themselves. Kyungsoo tried to keep them at bay the best he could as he was escorted to the table for Hermes. That was the table for all the new campers and they stared at him curiously.

“What’s with that outfit?”

Kyungsoo turned his attention to a particularly goofy looking guy. He was tall, too tall, with his legs stretched all the way to the other side of the table and he had this small face with big ears and a smile that seemed to show too much of his teeth. Kyungsoo looked him up and down and after determining that the guy knew nothing about fashion, he only grimaced a smile instead of committing murder and answered the poor boy.

“Its Dior.” It might’ve come out a little bit sassier than he intended, but Kyungsoo couldn’t help it. Because seriously? The guy in the too short whitewash jeans and ugly orange camp tee was asking about what he was wearing. Ridiculous.

 

The guy only laughed at Kyungsoo’s answer and sass and held up his hands in defense. “Sorry, I don’t know much about fashion as you can probably tell.”

Kyungsoo managed a real smile. Maybe this dude wasn’t so bad. “Its fine and yeah, I can tell.”

He laughed again and held out a hand, “I’m Park Chanyeol. Does the resident fashionista have a name?”

Kyungsoo unsuccessfully bit back a laugh as he took Chanyeol’s hand. “Do Kyungsoo.”

 

The guy was an actual son of Hermes, not a new or unclaimed demi-god and he was pretty funny. Kyungsoo felt better after having talked to Chanyeol. He made it seem completely easy to make friends and Kyungsoo was a bit happy that he was forced from his bed. He could definitely say that he had made a new friend even though the thought would have been previously flushed from his mind. There were virtually zero things the two had in common, but they somehow found a million things to talk about. Everything was going smooth up until Chanyeol finally asked, “So do you know who your parent is, or are you unclaimed?”

 

Kyungsoo hesitated at the question. He felt like he could talk to Chanyeol so easily, but the rest of the table had tuned into their conversation and he wondered if it was a good idea to tell so many people who his father was. His doubt stabbed at his stomach and the guilt of wondering if he should tell filled him with courage. There was no way Kyungsoo was ashamed of his father and if his new friend couldn’t handle the truth then that was his problem. Kyungsoo wasn’t going to lie about Hades. He loved his father so much and even if everyone in the world hated him, he still would never forsake him.

 

Chanyeol noticed Kyungsoo’s hesitance and took it as him not knowing. “It’s fine if you don’t know.” He gestured to the table. “That’s what we’re here for.”

Kyungsoo quickly shook his head. “No, I know who my father is.” The rest of the table looked on curious of his answer. “I’m the son of Hades.” Kyungsoo smiled at the words, but rest of the table just looked confused.

Chanyeol repeated himself; “It’s really fine if you don’t know.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. Did they think that he was making up who his father was? “Um, well, I do know and, like I said just a second ago, it’s Hades.”

A kid to Kyungsoo’s right spoke up. “No way Hades is your father.”

Another one joined. “Yeah, Hades doesn’t have any kids. He was forbidden too.”

Kyungsoo scoffed. “So was Zeus and Poseidon, but it doesn’t look like they follow that rule. In fact, it seems to me that Zeus’ has a mind of it’s own.”

Everyone in a collective breath at Kyungsoo’s comment, except for Chanyeol who let out a chuckle. “Surely only the son of Hades dare say such a thing.”

The same brat voiced his opinion again, “You will surely be punished for your words by Zeus himself!”

“Zeus is welcomed to on my anytime.” Kyungsoo spit out the words and Chanyeol outright laughed.

“Careful what you laugh at son of Hermes, for the gods will surely punish you.” A new voice joined the conversation. All of the sudden, the table was cleared, excluding Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

“I hear mockery on my father’s behalf.” The voice said.

 

Kyungsoo turned around to see a very skinny, tall boy. The boy had his hair dyed on top a dark caramel color that didn’t go with the bright orange camp T-shirt, but Kyungsoo had to admit that the boy was definitely pulling off the black skinnys.

“Well?” The boy’s voice brought him from his thoughts.

“Well what?” Kyungsoo looked his face this time and determined him a handsome dude. His face had that kind of symmetry that reminded him of a manga character. Like one of those rich spoiled brat characters that always held their head above everyone else.

“Who are you? Or do you not know? I’m assuming you don’t because you’re with him.” He gestured to Chanyeol who in return, flipped him off.

Kyungsoo smirked. “You’re bad at assumptions.”

“Yeah?” The boy sneered “Then just who are you disappointing?”

Kyungsoo scoffed. “Look at this kid. Just saying whatever he wants. For your information, my father adores me.”

The boy out right laughed. “Adores you? Just who do you think you are that a god would look at you with adoration?” He leans in close to Kyungsoo. “Don’t be so delusional as to think that you are special to a god.”

 The Shadows were rumbling and rippling just below the surface of Kyungsoo’s being. He stood and held his hand in fists. “Then it seems that my father is a far better god than any of yours.”

The boy in a breath. “You had better watch your tongue or your father will pay for your thoughtless words.”

“My father has paid for far less! Far less then he ever deserved. It is your father who gets praises he doesn’t deserve!” Kyungsoo tried to keep his voice down, but his heart was pounding so hard. He knew he shouldn’t get so emotional, but he couldn’t help it. The way the boy carried himself with such high standing just because his father was Zeus pissed Kyungsoo off to no level. Everything about Zeus pissed him off.

 

Before he knew it, a hand way flying through the air towards his face. Kyungsoo couldn’t help what happened, it was out of his control. The boy attacked him, technically speaking. He couldn’t control the Shadows that shot out and engulfed the boy. They wrapped around his hand just before it could make contact with Kyungsoo’s face and then it seemed as though his entire body exploded as Shadows shot out and attacked the boy.

 

Kyungsoo’s emotions were already disturbed so it just made everything worse. He really tried to stop them, really, but the boy was being a . Kyungsoo wasn’t exactly feeling sorry for attacking him either, so naturally it was harder to pull them back. When he finally got them under control, most of the people attending breakfast were staring.

 

Several guys came running to help the boy up. “Sehun! Sehun are you okay?!”

“Dude, what the hell did you do? What the hell was that?!” A particularly tan boy was yelling at him, but Kyungsoo wasn’t really paying much attention. He probably shouldn’t have been checking the guy out, but damn. Even all angry and yelling the guy was absolutely gorgeous. Actually, especially all angry and yelling. There were these veins on the side of his neck that were protruding and he was frustratingly running his hand through this beautiful messy black abyss of hair in a particularly attractive way (probably because Kyungsoo wasn’t responding to him, just kind of staring). And man, was he fit. The guy was downright sinful, which was just the way the son of Hades liked it.

 

“What the hell happened?!” Sanchez’s yelling jolted Kyungsoo out of his (inappropriate) thoughts. “What is going on?” She was checking to see if Sehun was okay (he was) and then she turned and looked toward Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. “Chanyeol, you want to tell me what happened?”

“This psycho attacked me!” Sehun interrupted pointing accusingly at Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol held up his hands. “Whoa, whoa, in his defense it wasn’t technically him and you attacked him first.”

Sehun was offended. “Only because he said such horrible things about the gods! It’s blasphemy!”

Kyungsoo scoffed. Please, could someone spare him? What the hell did that kid know to defend the gods like that? Like, the gods were s.

“He even has the nerve to scoff! Who let him into our camp?! Why is he even here if he hates the gods so much?” Sehun yelled. He was so worked up that his entire face was turning red.

“You know what?” Kyungsoo had had enough and he was never any good at pretending anyways. “I wouldn’t be here except that your precious daddy forced me to! Like hell I wanted to come here! I had a wonderful apartment in LA! My life was perfect!”

 

Everyone looked taken back.

The tan beauty was the first to speak. “What? Your life was perfect? How would your life be perfect with all the underworlders trying to kill you?” He gestured to everyone around him. “We all came here for refuge. Our lives were hell until we came here.”

Kyungsoo gave a smile. “Well, underworlders aren’t a problem when you grow up playing with them.”

Chanyeol looked impressed. “Whoa dude, seriously?”

Sehun, however, was not impressed. “So what? Are you some kind of demon or something?”

“While the word has been used to describe me, no dip, I’m the son of Hades. Who, unlike all of your parents, actually raised me himself.” Kyungsoo said.

There was several gasps form the campers who were still engaged in the morning drama. Well, Kyungsoo thought, so much for lying low and hiding out. 

Sehun laughed. “Well it looks like someone didn’t follow the rules.”

“You’re one to be talking.” Kyungsoo snapped.

The tan one nodded his head. “True, our fathers broke the promise, but your father has no privilege being the god of the Underworld.”

“Ah,” Sehun smiled that annoyingly bratty smile, “Kai’s right.”

 

Whoa. Just wow. Kyungsoo had to physically back up. No privilege? The hell? Like becoming the god of the Underworld was something he wanted to do? Kyungsoo had no words for the amount of ignorance, but hell he was definitely going to say something. He had to gather himself first though. Breathe in, breathe out.

“Oh hell no.” Kyungsoo shook his head. “Just no, no, no, no. Wrong. The amount of ignorance coming out of your mouth. Ohmgosh, I mean, boy you look great, but damn the that just came out of your mouth. I can’t do this. I really can’t. I’m leaving. Yeah, no I’m leaving. I’m just gonna.” Kyungsoo didn’t even bother finishing his sentence before turning and walking away. It was only the first day and he couldn’t handle it. He had gotten in a fight, spilled basically everything about himself to the whole camp and it was still morning. What the hell kind of luck was that? It seemed like drama always followed him everywhere he went. Even outside the camp he always was involved in someone else’s drama at school. There was a fair amount of people who disliked him because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut. But it wasn’t that he meant to get into fights, it’s just that before he knew it, would fly out of his mouth.

 

Kyungsoo was almost out of the breakfast area when he felt someone grab the top of his head, stopping him and turning him around. He came face to face with a camel-like guy. He was about the same height as Kyungsoo (which made him happy), but a little taller.

Kyungsoo looked to the boy, arching an eyebrow in question. “Excuse me?”

The guy stuck out his free hand. “Hi, my name’s Chen. My dad told me to catch you.”

“Your dad?” Kyungsoo asked.

Chen nodded and sighed. “Yeah, Dionysus. He’s the head of this camp and since I’m his son he usually makes me do stuff for him. Anyways he wants to talk to you.”

They begin to head to The Big House, Chen’s hand still firmly on Kyungsoo’s head.

Kyungsoo tried to push his arm down, but the guy didn’t budge. “Why?”

“Well you were just talking about running away from the camp, which you can’t do. Especially you. I was eavesdropping and apparently Zeus told my dad to keep an eye on you.” Chen looked down at Kyungsoo’s large owl eyes and puffpuff cheeks. “Although I don’t know what kind of threat you serve to gain such attention.”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “You don’t know me very well then.”

Chen laughed and removed his hand from Kyungsoo’s head to around his shoulders. “Yeah, lets fix that.”

Two friends in one day? Kyungsoo was doing pretty good, although two enemies countered that (and sadly included the gorgeous Kai).

 


 

“Daaaad. I brought him here for you to talk to.” Chen said as he entered the building.

“Ugh, I told you not to call me that.”

The two boys turned around to face Dionysus, drink in hand. “It reminds me of the mistake I made by sleeping with your mother.”

Chen rolled his eyes. “A little early isn’t it?”

“My own son scolds me as if he wasn’t drinking wine this morning at breakfast, humph!” Dionysus took a gulp of wine before the drink disappeared. “Ah, our resident Prince of the Underworld, on house arrest. Well, it’s not your first time, now is it?” The god threw back his head and laughed like it was the funniest joke in the whole world.

His stomach jiggled dangerously and Kyungsoo noticed Chen eyeing it. “He’s so fat.” He heard Chen mumble underneath his breath. Kyungsoo had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing.

 

Finally Dionysus stopped laughing and cleared his throat. “Its funnier if you know what he did. Anyways! I’m here to tell you that you can’t run away. Not even a little bit. Zeus wants a close eye kept on you and if you try to run, well then it’ll just make him even more suspicious. Also your father says that you can’t run away. Straight from hell. Look, he even sent you a gift. Errr- here.”

The god handed him a box made of bones and inside the box was a necklace. The silver chain held a deep red ruby at the end. The stone was mesmerizing. Kyungsoo gazed into the stone until he could see his father’s face. It was like a locket holding a picture of his dad, except way better and more expensive. He smiled, his dad always managed to cheer him up.

“Whoa that’s really pretty.” Chen said. “Can I see it?”

Kyungsoo nodded and handed it over to him.

Dionysus sighed. “Attracted to shiny things, just like his mother.” He said and then poofed from the house.

 


 

“So where are you staying?” Chen asked. They were walking back from the Big House when they ran into Chanyeol and the three of them were walking back to the dorm area.

“Yeah,” Chanyeol said, “where are you staying, because its not with me and its not like we have a Hades cabin.”

“You didn’t have one, but you do now.” Kyungsoo corrected. “I can show you, if you want to see.”

Both Chen and Chanyeol excitedly shook their head yes and followed Kyungsoo off into the woods. When they came up to Hades cabin the two impatiently rushed inside.

“Whoa, nice.” Chanyeol jaw was unhinged. “Dude, my cabin is no where near this nice.”

“Same,” Chen said, “how did you make this?”

Kyungsoo contemplated telling them, but after this morning he figures they’d be able to handle it. “It’s kind of a package deal with my…powers.”

They both raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t know Hades was into architecture.” Chen said.

Kyungsoo laughed. “No, it’s not like that. It’s kind of hard to explain. But I mean I am. Into architecture that is.”

Chanyeol and Chen nodded their heads and continued looking around.

“Hey why isn’t there any furniture or stuff in here?” Chanyeol asked.

“Well, “ Kyungsoo said, “it is only my second day and I literally built this yesterday.”

“Ahh, right. So I guess its not a buy one get one free type deal.” Chanyeol chuckled to himself at his incredibly lame joke.

 

They three of them situated themselves in the library after Kyungsoo showed them around the rest of the cabin. A light hellfire was glowing from the small fireplace and made the place seem a little more like home.

“So,” Chen side eyed the hellfire glowing in the fireplace, “Can I ask why you have to come here? I mean if you were fine before, why did Zeus suddenly make you come?”

Chanyeol nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I’m curious about that myself.”

Again Kyungsoo contemplated on whether or not he could tell them. They didn’t look like the type to go around telling people other people’s business, but then again it was kind of secret information talked about in the god council thing. Was he allowed to talk about that stuff? Was he even allowed to know? Kyungsoo didn’t want to get his father in trouble, but he decided that if he was going to make friends, he’d have to trust them.

“Well, as you can probably tell, I don’t exactly think highly of the gods,” Kyungsoo started.

“Yeah, we can tell, “ Chanyeol said.

“And the gods don’t exactly think highly of me. I may have caused some trouble in the human world at times that doesn’t exactly put me at trustworthy.”

“May have?” Chen raised an eyebrow.

Kyungsoo waved him off. “Yeah, but anyways the thing is that some major stuff is going down up there,” he pointed up towards the ceiling, “and Zeus wants to make sure that I, son of Hades, has nothing to do with it. Basically I’m being babysat by the camp.”

 

Chanyeol and Chen both nodded. “Some major stuff huh? Do you know what stuff?” Chen asked as he leaned forward. Even thought they were alone, he talked in half whispers.

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I actually don’t. All my dad said was that Zeus wanted me to come here so he could make sure I had nothing to do with it.”

They nodded again. Chanyeol tapped a finger on his chin. “Yeah that makes sense, I guess. But now I wan to know what’s going on. Oh! Do you think someone is going on a quest soon?”

Kyungsoo cocked his head. “A quest? Like a let’s-go-find-the-holy-grail quest?”

Chen laughed. “Yes, but no. It’s sort of the same. The point of demi-gods training all the time is so we can prepare to go on a quest. When something happens, like say something really important to our world gets stolen or a herd of underworlders or demons attacks, the oracle will send three demi-gods on a quest. You even get a clay bead for coming back alive and completing the quest.”

Kyungsoo hmm-ed and resituated himself in his chair. “What is with those clay bead anyways?”

“Well I guess it’s to encourage the campers to complete tasks and be better. It’s like a reward system almost. At the end of each year the campers are given beads according to their accomplishments.” Chen said.

Kyungsoo looked over at Chanyeol’s necklace. There was one bead on it. He pointed at it. “Chanyeol, you only have one. What’s it for.”

 

Chanyeol looked down at his necklace like he had forgotten that he had one. “Oh this? It’s uuhh,” He looked ridiculous trying to pull out the necklace and push in his face so that he could properly see the bead. When he finally got it at a good angle, he twisted the bead several times to look at the markings. The bead was blue with a little musical note on it. “Oh yeah! Last year I won the talent show!”

Kyungsoo perked up. “Talent show?”

“Yeah, the camp has one every year. It can be anything from singing to showing off one’s special power to demonstrating how to effectively chop off someone’s head. Apparently its harder than you think.” Chen said.

Chanyeol threw his hand in the air. “Oh! Oh! Chen, do you the time Taemin demonstrated how to break someone’s friendship! It was for his special power and he made Jackie and Emma enemies for like three days after the show.”

Chen laughed. “I do remember that! Oh man, he got banned from entering after that.”

“That was his special power? Who’s his parent?” Kyungsoo asked.

Chanyeol stood and bellowed, “Taemin, son of Ares! He’s a vicious bastard.”

 

“Hmmm,” Kyungsoo stared at the stage on the other side of the room, “I think I’ll enter and get my first bead.”

Chen raised his eyebrow and look over at Chanyeol. “You know you have to win to get the bead.”

Kyungsoo turned towards him. “Yes, I know. I heard you.”

“And just what makes you think you’re going to win out of everyone here at camp?” Chanyeol crossed his arms. “I mean last year I wrote and composed my own song for the contest.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes brightened. “You can compose! Ooooh! Enter with me and help me make a song to sing!”

Chanyeol held up his hands. “Wait? You’re just gong to sing? I don’t want to be rude, but you do know that it’s not a music competition? There are seriously cool things that happen on that stage. I don’t think you’re going to win with just singing. I mean I only won because there wasn’t that much game last year. Kai, Sehun, and Lay were all out because Lay got sick and Hyuna was banned after she dropped it too low during her musical demonstration of how to properly trap a Basilisk, and accidentally let it go. Since the votes are determined by the rest of the campers, they would have usually won.”

 

Chen grinned in memory of the Hyuna accident. Man he was sure going to miss her demonstrations. “Yeah, too bad for Hyuna.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Anyways I don’t want to crush your spirit—”

“Too late,” Kyungsoo grumbled.

“Buuut, I’m just putting it into perspective. I mean we haven’t even heard you sing.”

Chen leaned back and eyed Kyungsoo. “Yeah, and I noticed the stage over there,” he jabbed a thumb in the direction of the stage, “So, why don’t you show us?”

Kyungsoo pursed his lips. “Hmmmm, I guess.” He slowly got up and made his way over to the stage. It wasn’t that he was nervous or anything, he had done it plenty of times before, but the way that Chen and Chanyeol were staring caused him to feel less than fresh.

 

They both were sitting with their arms crossed, staring with expressionless faces. He felt like he was going to be judged harshly and honestly wanted to impress them. After all, they did doubt his ability to win the talent show. Kyungsoo calmed himself and closed his eyes. He imagined that he was back in LA standing in some dimly lit bar and his friend, Hyunsik, was sitting at the back waving and raising a glass to him. Hyunsik always supported him and told him he was the best singer that he’d ever heard. He replayed all of Hyunsik’s compliments and the way his eyes turned crescent when he smiled. Kyungsoo instantly felt lighter and more confident. He opened his mouth and sang like Hyunsik was watching him. 

 

 

 

 

 


hi~

This is offically my first Exo fic (although I have started others). 

I hope you are enjoying it! I didn't leave an author's note on the first chapter bc I dont know why. 

If you have read Percy Jackson, then you'll probablt notice all the similarities in this story. Of course the series heavily influenced this story, but I didn't want to be constricted to that specific world so its not a Percy Jackson AU. 

All the members of Exo will eventually be in this fic, plus some other OCs and other kpop stars. The main pairing is kaisoo, buuut there probably gonna be baekyeol, xiuhan, and taohun as well. But more like behind-the-scenes. I'm not going to make them a story arc or anything.(edit: i lied lololol hella story arcs) 

Also thank you for the people who have subscribed! Its not a lot, but it still makes me very happy~ !

(p.s. how do you like Kyungsoo? Hmmmm he might not be as bratty as he seems....)