Chapter 7

drosselmeyer doll

It hurt. It hurt. It hurt. "Master, master please." the dancing unit begged, breath hitching with his sobs.

"I know you're in pain, Kai. I'm sorry, but you have to bare it, just a little longer. I made an appointment for you to be fixed-" Sehun assured, trying to comfort his doll. It only made it worse.

"No! No please Master, please. I'm well. I am. I am, I don't want to go back to the shop It hurts there." Kai begged.

"You aren't going to the repair shop." he soothed. "I called a technician to come here." Sehun informed slowly."They'll retighten the bolts in your leg here, okay?"

"No, no Master-"

"Kai, enough." Sehun ordered. "it's for your own good. You can barely stand right now." he barked. His poor doll's knee was swollen around the loose bolt, and he knew from prior experience with his dancing unit that it had to be retightened. And if it wasn't one of his knee's, it was his hips, or his ankles. Kai's breakdowns were becoming more and more frequent, and no matter how often he took him to the shop and had him repaired, it was never a permenant fix.Even when repaired though, his unit would be out of commission while he healed.

Sehun sighed, he wanted to give Kai something for the pain, but the appointment time was scheduled in two hours and the technician would have his own medications to give and he refused to risk Kai's safety with a potential overdose or negative reaction from the medication in his system with whatever the technician would be giving him. 

"Sir, you have a visitor." his maid informed curtly, knocking on the side of the dance studio. 

Sehun sighed. "I'm on my way. Have him taken to his room, and give him an ice pack for his knee." he ordered.

"Yes sir."

"I'm expecting the technician from Mimcroprygenics in two hours. Tell me when he arrives." he added.

'Of course sir." she acknowledged, giving a polite curtsey as she stepped back from the door to allow Sehun to pass, shutting the door behind him and blocking out the broken doll's cries as she moved off to find support for moving the doll.

"Chanyeol! You're early." he greeted.

"Better early than late." Chanyeol countered back with a broad grin. Behind him, Kris stood stoic, glancing about the area, eyes flickering blue as he scanned and commited the images to his memory. "We heading out?"

Sehun shook his head. "Sorry, change in plans. Kai broke down today."

"Jesus, seriously?!" Chanyeol balked.

"yes." he sighed in exasperation. Running a hand down his face. "I called a technician for an in home repair. It's just his knee, so it shouldnt be a repair that needs to be done in shop. But of course, I have to wait until they arrive to get their professional feedback."

"Is Kai okay?"

"No, he's not okay!" Sehun snapped. "The bolt in his knee's come loose and-" he paused, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped. In any case, can we do a rain check, or would you mind hanging out here?"

"Not at all." Chanyeol agreed readily."

"he's good, I'm pretty sure he accesses his statistics and analysis programming when we're on the court. Which is cheating." he drawled, looking back at his doll who shrugged easily. Neither in confirmation or denial of the accusation.

"so he's good then?"

"hell yeah, it's like having a personal trainer." Chanyeol gushed. True to his Uncles words, Kris was quite active.

"And here you were ing about finally getting one."

"yeah, yeah. Rub it in."

"Oh dont worry, we will." Sehun grinned. "Care to show me what he's got?" he challenged. "My court out back is always open."

"Sounds good to me, how about you, Kris? Up for a small basketball game?"

Kris smiled softly. "Always, Chanyeol. Should I go easy on you?" he quipped.

"Easy? It's two on one. You better be a challenge."

"With all due respect, Chanyeol, you have yet to win a single game against me." he reminded.

"Smart , lets just see how you hold up against us." Chanyeol tossed back as they headed outside to the court. 

It was a shameful game. For every point they scored, Kris scored twice as much. Winning against them with seeming ease."Another round?" Kris inquired as Sehun panted.

"Good God no," he wheezed. "oh Im out of shape. How did he make some of those shots? He totally accessed his database." he accused.

"That's the suspicion." Chanyeol laughed breathlessly as they moved back inside heading to the kitchen.

"He's pretty sturdy then?" Sehun inquired.

"Yeah, he holds up well, he can take falls and serious workouts. Why?"

"because..." sehun paused, his lips, "I'm thinking about having Kai re-tailored."

"Reta-Sehun that's a major alteration." Chanyeol balked.

"Money isn't an issue." he countered. "I'm sick of him breaking down. I'm sick of him constantly needing to be repaired. I'm sick of him being injured."  He was sick of Kai apologizing to him for things he couldn't control.

"I suppose." Chanyeol sighed.

"Sir," a maid interrupted, "the technician's here." she informed.

"Great, send him to Kai's room." he ordered curtly, dismissing her."Enough about Kai though, what else have you had Kris do yet?" Sehun inquired with a grin.

"Oh don't even." Chanyeol groaned.

"What? I'm just curious if what the stereotype claims is true." he pressed. "How much have your "tested" him, really explored his limits?"

Kris fidgeted, "Chanyeol." he spoke up.

Chanyeol coughed, "Sorry, Sehun, can he go somewhere? Is there a place he can wait?" Chanyeol requested. Kris was capable of waiting, but the way his personality was set, he wasn't comfortable discussing such intimate topics before strangers. To be sure, he had a drive-and hot as he was, everytime Chanyeol contemplated requesting him to bed, the whole /doll/ issue came back to him, and he hadn't yet made his peace with that yet.

"Upstairs." Sehun dimissed. "he can wait in the dance room."

"Go." Chanyeol ordered, and Kris took the presented chance to leave.

"You let him get away with a lot of requests."

"Not really,if I wanted him to stay, I'd have told him to it up." Chanyeol shrugged.

"You really haven't done anything with him?" Sehun pressed wtih a small tsk. "I'd have tested that out the first night."

Chanyeol groaned, this conversation was clearly going to happen. "Look, I'll admit it, he's hot, but it's still odd to me. He's a doll."

"Yes, he's a doll. That's it." Sehun shrugged. "There's no need to feel weird about, he's yours. Hell, I took Kai to bed the first week I had him."

"I'm not you, and can we not do this?" Chanyeol implored, hiding his face in his hands.

The sound of Master Sehun's laughter followed Kris as he made his way upstairs slowly, the few household servants he passed acted as if they didn't seem him at all. "Pardon, but where's the dance room?" he requested a passing maid.

"Down the hall, fourth door on the right, can't miss it-it has double doors." she informed as she went on her way.

Fourth door down. Fourth door down. Four doors down and he saw them, four doors down and he heard crying. His internal system beeped, noting the tone of distress. He turned towards the sound, contemplating. Options presented themselves before him as he settled on one and changed his route, following the source.

"It hurts, please don't. I can still stand. I can dance." he heard a voice implore, stopping outside the room, the door fully open.On the bed was another doll, older- one of the first generation waves, the bolts and joints on the doll a clear give away, his pants removed to allow better access. 

"Your left knee has a loose component. I'm going to repair it for you and you'll be back on your feet in no time." The technician dismissed curtly, talking over the distressed doll as he tinkered with his tool box, taking out a hypodermic syringe filled with a yellow tinted liquid. "We're going to get this solution in you and get started." he stated.

Kris watched as the syringe was emptied into the doll's thigh.The sobs intensified as the technician moved away, coming back with a wrench-like instrument. 

Kris blanced. There was no way the numbing solution had taken effect yet, as proven when the doll's legs jerked as the technicians gloved hand touched his thigh."You can't." he spoke up, stepping into the room.

"Excuse me?" The technician paused.

"He's still in pain. The solution, it hasn't taken effect." he pointed out clinically. It didn't follow logic...why provide medicine if you weren't even going to let it take effect?

"This isn't your concern. I'm fixing him."

"He's in pain." how was that fixing him? Making his pain and distress worse?

"Then let me do my job and he'll be fine." The technician snapped simply.

"Did his master approve?"

"His master made the call for me to come and fix him, that's what I'm doing. Now go away." he ordered.

Kris over-rode the order. He was not his master, and he was not on the approved list of Master's friends and family. "I think his master should be informed." he frowned.

"You want to get his master, get his master, but I'm doing my job." he snapped back, "And when I'm done, you better hope you and YOUR master are gone or he'll be hearing a complaint from me." he warned.

Kris backed off, stepping away from the door and redirecting his route back downstairs as the doll on the bed cried out.

He found his Master and Master Sehun sitting on the patio. "Kris, what are you doing down here?" Chanyeol balked. 

"The technician has distressed Master Sehun's doll." he informed.

"Kai? He's always been sensative."

"Master Sehun, I observed him give your doll-Kai, a numbing solution. It hasn't taken effect. He's begun fixing Kai." he listed. "The medicine hasnt taken effect. He's upset." he stressed those points. It was wrong. His system told him how this was supposed to work. Working before medicine had taken effect only exacerbated the patients pain and discomfort until it worked. It was, in a word: sadistic.Master's Sehun's Kai was in pain. He had seen the tears and seen it reflected back in the others eyes.

"Kris, stop. Sehun, I'm sorry." Chanyeol apologized. Mortified at his doll arguing back. "we should probably get going anyway." 

"Please." Sehun agreed. "I need to go speak to the technician anyway." he frowned. 

"Your doll's a dancing unit." Kris brought up, recalling the earlier conversaton word for word. "Even if you had him redesigned, he'd know what he was, he'd be distressed further."

"Kris that's enough!" Chanyeol cut off sharply. "Sehun, I'm really sorry, we-Kris, go outside-"

"but Mas-"

"outside, now." Chanyeol barked. Eyes flashing blue at the direct order, Kris bowed politely before turning on his heels and heading outside to wait...but as he passed the stairwell, he knew he heard Kaii wail.