[2] The Archer

Yoo are my target

I had the most awkward encounter the other day. This straightforward (more like very straightforward) guy asked me out. I just met him that day and he insists I go out with him. Who in their right mind would do that? We just exchanged names and suddenly he's Mr. I-wanna-take-you-out. Okay, I have to admit...the guy is cute. But who cares? There are plenty of cute guys around. I don't have to date him just because he asks me out and I find him cute. I also don't have time to date. I rejected him on the spot. He looked disappointed but he left with a smile. He's quite an odd character.

I told Zitao about the guy, Kim Junmyeon. Zitao wasn't pleased with the Junmyeon guy but he was glad I rejected him.

I met Zitao during freshmen orientation and he's taking up the same degree as I am.  He's a Chinese student but I don't think that's important since he's fluent in Korean. He chose Yondae1 and he wants to start a business, the same dream I have. It's nice to talk to someone with the same ideas as you. It's comforting. I don't have many friends because of how I am. I'm glad I at least have Zitao. 

"Stop calling me Zitao. It's Tao. Just Tao. We've been friends for more than a year and you still call me Zitao," he says with his slight accent.

"Haha. That's your name. What's so bad about calling you that?"

He pinches my cheeks.

"Ow ow ow!! Okay okay!!"

He smiles after he lets go. I rub my cheeks and the stinging pain fades. 

"Our assignment is really difficult. How am I supposed to calculate this?"

He scoots over more closely and watches me write down my solution for the equation. I start explaining to him about the formula and he just replies with 'mhmm'. I'm unsure if he's truly understanding what I'm saying or just pretending but in the end, it's his on the line and not mine. I'm already doing my part. I continue to explain and I'm interrupted by a shadow covering the papers.

"Excuse me, you're blocking the light," I saw as I raise my head.

"I see that I've been beaten."

"Kim... Junmyeon?"

"Ah! So you do remember my name!!"

"Ssh! This is a library." I motion my finger on my lips to hush him. I look around and thankfully no one is staring. "I think it's better if you leave."

"Why should I? I'm here to study."

He nonchalantly sits at the same table as Zitao and I and brings out his thick calculus book. Is this guy trying to be funny or...

"Come on, Zitao, let's go," I tell to my friend as I pull his sleeve, urging him to stand up and leave.

"Leaving so soon?" 

"Yeah. We just remembered that... uhh... we..."

"We're going on a date," Zitao butts in.

He places his arm over my shoulder and pulls me in tight. 

"We'll be going now. Have fun studying," he says as he takes me away.

I nearly bump the table but luckily I dodged it. I look back to see Kim Junmyeon's reaction and he's smiling. Smiling? Really? 

"A date? We're going on a date. That's the best you could come up with?" 

"I panicked! I'm sorry."

I know I'm not the dating type. I definitely don't see Zitao as anything more than just a brother but that statement shocked me. Zitao is sitting across from me and rubbing his hands together apologetically. He repeats the word 'sorry' until I get sick of it. I tell him to cut it out and just order some food because sitting in a restaurant that smells of steamy food is making me even more hungry.

"The dude from the library. That was Kim Junmyeon, right?"

"Yeah."

"Is he stalking you? 'Cause if he is, I can report it--"

"Haha, no no.. it's fine. It's just a one time thing, I'm sure."

"Okay... if you say so."

After eating dinner, Zitao said he had to leave for Wushu practice at the sports center. I'm now on my way home and I'm slightly terrified. My area is lit-up, of course, but I still feel uneasy... like there's someone behind me. I walk faster and I just feel like there's someone gaining on me. I walk even faster and as I reach a corner, a guy pops out. I scream and push him off. 

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!! I didn't mean to scare you!"

I look up and it's Kim Junmyeon.

"YOU! You're following me!"

"Hey, calm down.. calm down."

I throw a fist full at his face and he falls on his . I see he's in a lot of pain and I have a rush of guilt. I help him up and apologize.

"Are you hurt?"

"Yeah...Ouch. That's one strong punch," he says to me smiling. This guy is something.

"Do you need an ice pack?"

"No, I'm good."

I my bag and take out my handkerchief. I take out my bottled water and wet my handkerchief. I hand it to Kim Junmyeon and he stares at it, not knowing if he should take it or not.

"I hit you so.. here you go."

I force it on his hand and make him put it on his cheek which looks bruised. He reacts to the cold but his muscle is now relaxing.

"Were you following me?" I ask him.

"Can I be honest?"

"If that's your policy."

"It's not that I'm following you but... I live in the same direction. I live in the apartment building next to you. I thought you'd notice it but I guess not."

"Oh! I'm sorry.. I thought you were stalking me or something."

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't watching you go home."

"Excuse me?"

"I-I'm not a stalker, okay? But... your boyfriend left you alone. I was on my way home and I saw you say goodbye to him. You were going the same direction so I figured I'd... watch over you for him."

He looks embarrassed and lowers his head. Making eye contact would make him feel worse, I guess.

"He's not my boyfriend."

He lifts his head up again. Suddenly interested, I see.

"He's just my friend. What happened at the library earlier in the afternoon... it's just him being his defensive self. He's trying to protect me."

"He's a good friend then."

"Yeah, he is."

"And... since he's not your boyfriend... will you still take my offer on that date?"

I giggle. He also laughs.

"No." I say flat out. 

I pat him on the shoulder and thank him again for watching me while I go home. But since I'm already at my apartment building, I wave goodbye and leave him. 

I guess... the archer just missed his shot agian.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

1 Yondae (연대). Short for Yonsei Daehakgyo (연세대학교) which is Yonsei University in Korean.

Here's another chapter. :)) Why am I writing this fic? Haha.

OuO,,