02.

Burdensome

Kris woke up just to find that Chanyeol was not beside him anymore. It was usual for Kris, but the thing that made his frown went deeper was the fact that he was woken up by his alarm, no Chanyeol.

 

“Yeol?” He called once.

 

“Chanyeol?” He called again, a little bit louder this time.

 

He got up from bed hurriedly. It's so quiet. He started to panic when he couldn’t find Chanyeol anywhere. Even if Chanyeol went out, it was still weird, because Chanyeol wouldn't leave him without waking him up.

 

“Park Chanyeol!” He shouted. Still no answer. He went to the bedroom to get his phone. He was about to contact the younger, but then he found a message from the said boy. He opened it while hoping there would be nothing wrong.

 

From Yeol-ah:

 

Hyung, I went to the market for awhile. I already prepared your food on the table, make sure you eat it well! Maybe I’ll come back at noon, you don’t have to wait for me, xoxo, Channie. 

 

Kris now could sigh contentedly, as he now knew where Chanyeol was, but there were still some things that were bugging him. What about his ankle? If Chanyeol left before he woke up, then what time did Chanyeol leave? He punched the numbers that he knew by heart, and put the phone close to his ear.

 

“Hyung?” Chanyeol answered after the fourth ring.

 

“Chanyeol, where are you?”

 

“Didn’t I tell you already hyung? I texted you, I am at the market right now.”

 

“How’s your ankle?”

 

“It seems okay.”

 

“Does it really seem okay? Do you want me to pick you up?”

 

“Uhm, there's no need hyung, as I told you, it’s okay. Just, go eat the breakfast and go to your office, okay?” Kris failed to hear the turmoil in Chanyeol's voice. He knew there was something wrong, obviously, but he didn’t know what. It was bugging him and making him uncomfortable.

 

“Okay then. Love you.”

 

“Don’t...” Chanyeol mumbled quietly.

 

“Huh?” Either Kris wasn’t sure what Chanyeol was talking about, or he simply refused to understand.

 

“Nothing, love you.” Chanyeol said before he cut off the line. There were many negative thoughts running inside Kris’s mind right now, but he really didn’t want to believe it, so he ended up just brushing it off.

 

---

 

Kris went back to his house earlier than his usual time, maybe a bit too soon. There was no use for him to stay at his office when his mind wandered everywhere. Now he felt that there was something out of place, he just couldn't pinpoint it what exactly it was. And it obviously frustrated him; it simply drove him insane. The uneasiness made him not be able to concentrate on his work, and the fact that he couldn’t reach Chanyeol’s phone made it even worse.

 

“I’m home.” No answer. The feeling on his chest was getting stronger.

 

“Chanyeol?” No answer. Kris hastily wandered in his house, he was panic. It was uncommonly dark inside, almost felt like there was no one was living in this house. He the light, hoping there would be Chanyeol who yelled and smiled to him, and said that this was just surprise for him. But it never went as he hoped, it was quiet and empty inside. Once again, he hoped; he hoped that he would find Chanyeol inside the bedroom.

 

Maybe Chanyeol’s ankle got worse and decided to just lie on the bed, but he didn’t see Chanyeol. 

 

“Chanyeol… Where are you?” he thought out loud. He helplessly called Chanyeol’s phone again.

 

“The number you're calling is not active.”

 

That again?

 

He called again, and again, over and over, and still, he got the same answer.

 

He was scared to death when he didn’t have any clue where Chanyeol was. His mind went even wilder. Did he, by any chance, got threatened by his father, and get tired of him? He immediately got out from his bedroom and picked up his jacket and his car keys. He was about to storm out when suddenly his eyes caught a flicker on his phone. The flicker was an indicator that it had pending message, a voicemail. 

 

So that was true that Chanyeol wasn’t home since before.

 

This may be the answer of all his questions, he found this tiny hope flickered inside him, maybe he would know Chanyeol’s whereabouts from it. But it didn’t make his mind any calmer. What if Chanyeol was kidnapped and the voicemail was from the kidnapper? He hastily pressed play to find the truth, but the next sound that was coming from the phone didn’t help at all.

 

‘Hi hyung…’

 

---

 

Kris drove his car hastily. , where are you, Yeol?, he thought as he remembered the mail that he got from Chanyeol. He could feel his heart breaking into pieces. He felt so vulnerable, useless. He deemed that he was a fool, and careless for not realizing Chanyeol's weird behaviors.

 

Chanyeol was his life.

 

Chanyeol owned half of his heart.

 

So you could say Kris was lifeless and half heartless when Chanyeol left him.

 

---

 

‘Hi hyung...’ Kris was shocked hearing the familiar deep voice of his boyfriend.

 

‘Don’t panic, I’m okay.’Hell, how could he say that? Of course Kris will panic, and Kris sure that he wasn't even close with the word 'okay'

 

‘Hyung, firstly, I want to say that I’m sorry for being a nuisance to you.’ Kris sighed. How many times did I have say that he was never a nuisance to me?

 

‘Don’t lie by telling me that you are not troubled. I’m the cause of your sickness... and definitely the cause of you losing your hire.’ Kris frowned, 'Why the hell did he know about the hire thing? I never told him… unless...'

 

‘I knew it from your co-worker, Lu Han. Don’t blame him. I pushed him to tell me.’ I knew it.

 

‘I’m sorry for lying to you whenever you asked me about whether I'm still thinking that I am burden to you or not. Actually the answer is always yes...’ long pause.

 

‘You should go back to your dad. You don’t have to sacrifice your dream, and I definitely don't want you to go against your father. However, it’s just me, hyung. It’s not worth it for you to chose me over your dream.. and your dad.’ Chanyeol would always be worth it to him. He wanted to protest to the phone, but it was useless and he should listen to Chanyeol’s words.

 

‘I’m sorry for not giving you a proper goodbye. I can’t face you, I’m sorry. Leaving you is making me in pain, and I can’t even bear it.’ 

 

So why did you leave me now? ‘But if it’s for the best, then I’m okay.’

 

‘Hyung, thank you so much. Thank you for always giving me your love, for being a good and caring boyfriend. You always give me happiness, yet, I don’t give you anything but trouble. But…’ Kris heard a deep sigh from Chanyeol.

 

‘Just forget me, okay?’ 

 

Of course that won’t happen! Doesn’t he understand how much I love him? Does he just subconsciously say that he doubts my love for him?

 

‘Just forget me. I can’t bring you happiness. Loving me will make your life miserable. I love you a lot; hence, I wish your happiness even if it means I should go, because I can’t be the reason for it.’ Kris pulled his hair frustratingly. Can't he just put his faith in me? Can’t Chanyeol see how much I love him to the extent that I bravely denied my father’s offers and despised my Father's threats about disowning him?

 

‘Lastly, I want you to make a promise to me.’

 

“No, it won’t be good.” Kris thought out loud.

 

‘First, forget me,’

 

“I can’t.”

 

‘Second, find a new lover,’

 

“Definitely not.” 

 

‘Third, accept your dad’s offers.’ 

 

“Depends...” 

 

‘Fourth, don’t blame yourself; it’s none of your fault.’

 

“I won’t blame myself, until you stop blaming yourself."

 

‘And lastly, don’t look for me.’ 

 

“I’m sorry for not being sorry. I can’t grant your wishes, not even one, especially the last.” 

 

---

 

Kris swept the tears from his cheek when finally he reached the house. He was somehow familiar with this house since Chanyeol repeatedly asked Kris to drive him here.

 

Kris pushed the bell repeatedly showing how impatient he was right now.

 

“Coming!” Someone shouted from inside.

 

“Ah - hyung?” A familiar petite boy finally showed up.

 

---

 

“What?!” Baekhyun exclaimed after Kris told him that Chanyeol is gone.

 

“Do you know where he is?”

 

“Of course not! This morning was the last time I saw him, and from what I remember, he said that he wanted to go home.”

 

Kris combed his hair while he shook his head. Then he mentioned that Chanyeol was already gone since this morning, he presumed.

 

“So that’s why he said that thing easily to me.” Baekhyun mumbles, but loud enough for Kris to hear.

 

“What thing?” Kris asks, frowning. Weariness was painted clearly all over his face.

 

“He made a promise to tell this thing. Odd were, Chanyeol kept his promise not long after he made the promise, while usually I should pushed him before he, with perforce, kept the promise, but he said not to tell you.” Baekhyun felt sad seeing Kris like this. He always looked calm and yet, when it came to Chanyeol, he looked totally different, far from his image.

 

Kris grabbed Baekhyun’s shoulder harshly, begging Baekhyun to tell him, which made Baekhyun wince a bit. Tao, who kept silent earlier, finally reached out to Baekhyun’s thin waist possessively.

 

“Could you please watch your behavior? He isn't your boyfriend’s babysitter you know.” Tao said it with a stoic face and glared deathly to Kris.

 

Kris finally let go of Baekhyun’s shoulder and muttered sorry several times before he decided to leave. “Sorry for disturbing you two.”

 

Baekhyun looked concerned. He looked up to Tao, asking for permission. Tao sighed and nodded as he loosened his grip on Baekhyun's waist.

 

“Okay let me tell you what Chanyeol said to me, please sit, and don’t tell Chanyeol I told you, or else he won’t ever trust me again, promise?” Kris turned back and hesitantly nodded and they sat down.

 

Baekhyun sighed before starting the story. “It was 7:30 in the morning..”

 

---

 

‘I should put the bag down first, but where?’

 

“Sir, can you help me?” Chanyeol asked the driver.

 

“Sure. What?”

 

“I want to meet my friend, but I want to keep this. Can I entrust my belonging to you? Just for a while. I’ll be back soon. And oh, don’t go anywhere okay?” The taxi driver nodded.

 

Chanyeol got out from the car and went straight to the somewhat-familiar house. Chanyeol pushed the bell several times.

 

“Oh. It’s you hyung. Come in.”

 

“Thank you.” With that, Chanyeol came in and sat comfortably on the couch.

 

“Honey, Chanyeol-hyung is coming!” Tao called his boyfriend.

 

Baekhyun came out from his and Tao’s room. Tao gave him a cup of milk. It was their routine. Tao would wake up first, prepare breakfast, and then wake his lover up, and ‘feed’ him.

 

“What’s wrong? It’s still early morning.” Tao and Baekhyun sat on the couch across from Chanyeol and Baekhyun snuggled closer to Tao.

 

“Do you still want the explanation about why I asked you for Dr. Lay’s number?”

 

Baekhyun straightened himself and nodded eagerly. Tao let out a small chuckle seeing the sight just to be ignored.

 

“Well, you two should promise not to tell Kris-hyung. Promise?” Chanyeol gave them his lanky pinky finger. Both of them did the pinky-swear. Baekhyun (of course) did it seriously while Tao did it just to assure the elder. Chanyeol let out a deep sigh before starting the story.

 

“So, as you both know, I fell, so I injured my ankle, and I insisted to not wear any bandages because I don’t want to see Kris worry and all about me. But,” he added sarcastically,  “thanks to both of you he finally figured it out. So I feel guiltier for being his burden all the time.” He sighed. “Yesterday, I fell again,” he stopped to wait their reaction. “Well, so I decided to go to the hospital, alone. Ah, I forgot to mention that Kris was home all day because he worried as hell towards me.” Chanyeol ignores Baekhyun when he let out very-not-manly squeak and saying ‘aww so sweet’. “Hence, there was no way I could go to the hospital all alone. Finally we decided to go together. So I called Dr. Lay to tell him not tell Kris that my injured ankle was getting worse. So that's why.”

 

“So, now how’s your ankle hyung?” Tao asked.

 

“It’s okay now, Tao.” Chanyeol smiled reassuringly.

 

“Why do you always think that you’re a burden to Kris, Chan?”

 

Chanyeol sighed and looked down. “It’s just… because I am.” Baekhyun shook his head.

 

“It’s okay Baekhyun, Tao, I’m okay. I want to bid goodbye now.”

 

“Where are you going hyung?” Tao asked, feeling that something was wrong. Baekhyun patted Tao’s shoulder before saying “To his house, of course.” and laughing slowly.

 

Chanyeol smiled as he nodded, thanks to Baekhyun who gave him an excuse so he didn’t need to lie again.

 

When they arrived at the front door, Chanyeol said ‘Thank you’ and ‘I’m sorry’ earning confusing looks from the couple, but the latter ignored it.

 

---

 

“…and finally Chanyeol left.” Baekhyun ended the story. Kris stared at them in disbelief. Guilty was all he felt right now. How come he didn’t know that Chanyeol had fallen two times? 

 

“So that’s why I felt that something was wrong with him yesterday.” Kris finally spoke.

 

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Yesterday, he was talking unusually. Like, out of the blue he said that he was sorry because he was such a trouble to me and said ‘thank you’ to me because I was a good boyfriend, same as you, but I didn’t catch the oddness of his statements.”

 

“Yeah, I felt the same.” Tao said.

 

“What do you mean, Tao?” Baekhyun asked, frowning at the thought that Tao caught something that he didn’t.

 

“When he left our house this morning, he looked so sad, like he would leave us forever,” They shivered at Tao’s word. “And moreover, he said thank you and sorry to us too.”

 

Forever…

 

“No - No, no. He can’t leave me.” Kris panicked at the idea that he would be at home alone forever. Or he should find someone new, no; he wouldn’t do what Chanyeol said to him.

 

“By the way, why did you search for Chanyeol this morning and not tonight instead?” Tao asked, a hint of sarcasm in his words.

 

“It’s my entire fault for not sensitive to Chanyeol. I’m sorry for disturbing you two, by the way. You should be probably sleeping by now. I’d better be going now.” Kris stood up and bowed politely; deciding to not get both of them involved.

 

“No, no.  You don’t disturb us. Sit down. There are still so many things that I want to ask about Chanyeol being missing.” Baekhyun threw a glare to his love while Tao just raised his eyebrows cockily, hands still laid protectively to Baekhyun’s waist.

 

“I can’t let both of you get involved in this problem. Not because I don’t like you or anything, but I want to do this on my own, since I’m the cause of him leaving.” Kris smiled, yet, his face really looks dreary.

 

“At least tell me more.” Baekhyun pleaded.

 

“What do you want to know again?” Kris asked; Baekhyun was Chanyeol’s best friend, so, he deserved the story’s details.

 

“Answer Tao’s question first: why didn't you just look for him at night?”

 

“When I woke up this morning, I couldn’t find Chanyeol, and when I called him to ask, he said that he was at market. In a nutshell, I believed him when he said his ankle was okay, and decided not to pick him up, since it was already bandaged by the plaster cast. When I came home after work, I failed to find him again. So, I decided to find him outside, since calls were not helping at all but, suddenly, I saw that my phone said that I had a voicemail, so I listened to it, and it was from Chanyeol.” Kris explained.

 

“What did he say?” Baekhyun asked bluntly, earning an uncomfortable 'hmm' from Kris and a disapproving glare from Tao.

 

“I-I’m sorry. I shouldn’t’ve asked about it.” Baekhyun said, realizing how private the voicemail must've been and how inappropriate it was for recalling it again.

 

“It’s okay." Kris smiled reassuringly. "The point of the story was he is sorry. I’m sorry I can’t tell any details.” Kris answered, having a hard time to refrain himself to not cry again.

 

“S- So now, what are you planning?” Baekhyun tried to lessen the awkwardness they had by changing the subject right away.

 

“Maybe I’ll start to search nearby, like the café, park, and his old apartment, and then if I still can’t find him, I’ll go to his orphanage, being pretty much my last choice.” Kris explained.

 

“But hyung, the orphanage is way too far. You will spend all night long searching, it’s not good for your health. Besides I am sure that Chanyeol would've hated to see that.”

 

“It’s not like I can rest either. So, I'll just spend my time searching for Chanyeol.”

 

“No, just rest. I and Tao want to find him too. Wait for us.”

 

“You know the way, right?” Kris asked.

 

“No, I forgot. So, wait for us.” Baekhyun lied. Hell, he was from the same orphanage as Chanyeol. There was no way he could forget.

 

“You know hyung, I’m pretty much positive that Chanyeol went to the orphanage. There was no place for him except the orphanage, after all. You can search for him at places you said before, except for the orphanage, and we will visit the orphanage tomorrow, okay?” Baekhyun said.

 

Kris sighed and just agreed. Then he asked for Dr. Lay’s number in case Chanyeol wanted to tell him something. After he got the number from Baekhyun, he said sorry for disturbing them, and bid goodbye.

 

After Kris was out of sight, Baekhyun sighed deeply and let him be hugged by Tao. You could say that Kris and Baekhyun had the same feeling. Chanyeol was always there when Baekhyun needed him, but now he didn’t even know what Chanyeol’s problems were. He felt useless as his best friend. Baekhyun now has Tao, while Kris has nobody.

 

“Tao?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“A-Am I a burden for you? You know, since I always rely on- uhmp” Baek’s words got interjected by a kiss, and when Baekhyun started to get comfortable, Tao let go of the smaller lips slowly while staring at his eyes.

 

“Kris is the evidence. If you keep thinking like that, and leave me, I’d rather die.” Tao said with his not-so innocent eyes. Baekhyun’s heart was beating so fast until he thought it could break his ribcage. He hit Tao while muttering ‘so cheesy’, turned away, and walked to his bedroom. Tao laughed and chased the elder.

 

“I LOVE YOU, AND I’D RATHER DIE THAN LIVE WITHOUT YOU!” Tao teased the elder.

 

“SHUT UP! SHUDDUP!” Baekhyun hid his face with his palms and ran to the door and locked the younger outside.

 

---

 

Kris drove his car slowly in the vacant road along the night. He was just praying all the time that he could find Chanyeol. He searched Chanyeol in all possible places.

 

First, he searched in the park, earning nothing but shame, since Kris twice wrongly recognized people as Chanyeol, earning confused looks from them, Kris didn’t care though. Next, he went to Chanyeol’s old apartment, while still finding nothing except meeting the new family who moved in.

 

Then he continued to Chanyeol’s favorite café. The seller said that Chanyeol went to this place around midday. Gloomy was written all over Kris’s face when he trudged to his car. He knew that his body was weary.

 

But his mind refused to stop thinking of Chanyeol.

 

His heart refused to get calmer.

 

And his body refused to loosen, even just a bit.

 

After the searching, he found himself driving to the place where he met Chanyeol for the first time. He recalls that time. He remembers that he was in a bad mood that day, because his dad kept telling him to find a partner. Then he saw giant and lanky boy playing with kids, many kids precisely. They were playing basketball. Well, from the boy's height, he was indeed not even a match for them, so Kris assumed the boy was just teaching them. He couldn’t help but get mesmerized at the sight. The boy’s smile really affected him. Subconsciously, he smiled at the sight, and he knew, he fell for Chanyeol at first sight. Sounds cliché, but it actually happened.

 

Now, how was he supposed to smile when Chanyeol not by his side? He could feel his heart was breaking. He missed Chanyeol already. He missed Chanyeol's warmth and scent. God, he missed those pair of brown orbs. Not forgetting about his fair and smooth touch, how it lingered on Kris's body. He felt the urge to cry, and now he let the tears go, not just sobs or letting a few tears fell like he usually did, but a crying mess. He felt so vulnerable and useless. Just if I give him more attention. Just if I can be more sensitive towards him. He laid his head on the headrest, muttering helplessly 'where are you' and 'I'm sorry' several times.

 

After a long crying bout, he finally felt his heavy heart become lighter and his hiccups subsided; he closed his tired eyes, and finally went into sleep.

 

---

 

When morning came, Kris woke up earlier than he usually did, since his sleep wasn't comfortable, or even close. No matter how hard he cried already, he still had thoughts that heavied his body and mind. Now, first, he would call Lu Han, wanting an explanation of why he told Chanyeol, and secondly, he wanted to tell Lu Han that he would take one or two days off in due to search for Chanyeol.

 

"Hello? Vice Director's assistant, Sehun, talking!"

 

No, it wasn't Kris's idea to put him as assistant for Vice Director. It was just Lu Han, the vice director, wanted his lover, Sehun, by his side all the time. So, as a good friend, he granted it, since somehow Sehun could be way more helpful than Lu Han.

 

"Hello Sehun, this is Kris. Can you pass the phone to Lu Han?"

 

"Oh okay. Wait a sec... Lu Han hyuuuung!! A call from Kris!" Kris parted his ear from the phone before his eardrum was broken.

 

"What's wrong, Kris?"

 

"What were you thinking, telling about my hiring incident to Chanyeol?" Kris asked furiously.

 

"I- Uh- damn.. I told Chanyeol already to not tell you, ugh..." Lu Han mumbled.

 

"I'm sorry. He forced me." Lu Han added guiltily when he didn't hear anything from Kris.

 

"Why the hell did he force you? He wouldn't just pass by and out of blue ask about that right?"

 

"He said that he accidentally saw your phone. Well, not that accidentally, though. He said when you were sick, and asleep, your phone was ringing and it woke him up. So, he checked your phone, and there were miscalls and messages from your dad. Then, he checked it and read it. Well, he said it was about how disrespectful you were toward him, about you should stay away from Chanyeol or else you wouldn’t have any right to take the heir, and about how he would disown you. So he was shocked and so in the morning he went to your office to meet up with me.” He sighed and continued, “Anyways, what's so wrong about telling hi-"

 

"He left me now. Without giving me a proper goodbye." Kris heard Lu Han curse but he didn't give a damn about it. He continued,

 

"He thought that he was being a nuisance. So he left me hoping that I will living happily ever after.” He paused, “I can't live without him Lu, for God's sakes!" Kris voice was full of emotions and frustrations. Lu Han flinched at Kris's tone. Lu Han had never heard Kris loses his coolness this much, well not literally never, though; he always lost his cool for Chanyeol.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't know it would turn this bad." Lu Han mumbled guiltily. Then Kris sighed helplessly.

 

"It's okay. I don't blame you, entirely. It's none of your fault, anyway." Kris reassured the younger.

 

"But, still, just if I can shut my mouth.."Lu Han almost cried before Sehun shushed him. Lu Han always liked Chanyeol, as a brother, and because of Chanyeol Kris wasn't as dull as before. Chanyeol changed everything about Kris.

 

"No, it's none of your fault Lu Han. It's mine. Just...I'll take a few days off to search for Chanyeol."

 

"Take as long as you need to bring back Chanyeol!" Lu Han commanded childishly. Kris chuckled slowly. Chanyeol was loved by everyone.

 

"Uhm, Kris..." Lu Han suddenly calls Kris absentmindedly.

 

"What?"

 

"I think I remember something important..."

 

"And what is that?"

 

"Well, it's not like I want to give you more pressure that you absolutely already have. But..." 

 

"Well, but...?" Kris asked, curious.

 

"It just so happened that your dad called Chanyeol when you were sick." Lu Han mumbled softly.

 

“What? How...” He was speechless.

 

"How did you find out about it?" Kris finally managed to utter.

 

"Well, when I visited you when you were sick, I overheard Chanyeol on the phone, and apparently he talked to your dad. How I knew that it was your dad was because he called him Mr. Wu."

 

"I should've known." Kris said as he sighed deeply.

 

"Should've know what?" 

 

Kris sighed.

 

"I'll tell you later. I should find Chanyeol as soon as possible. I'm scared that he went too far."

 

"Okay, Kris. Fighting! Me and Sehun will pray from here and you call us whenever you need our help."

 

"Okay, thank you. Please keep Drafthy Coffee Shop well for me and of course WYF Co. because even though my dad already stopped supporting me, I still want to continue what I've started. But yeah, please reduce some employees. Say that I'm really sorry. I don't have much money since my dad forces me to pay the debt."

 

"Okay hyung." Kris frowned as he heard Sehun's voice instead of Lu Han's.

 

"Where's Lu Han?"

 

"Well, it's so happens that he suddenly had to poop and passed the phone to me." Sehun said.

 

"That kid! Okay Sehun, that's all. You heard it right?" Kris asked earning an approval-hum from the younger.

 

"Great! Bye!"

 

"Bye hyung. Hope you can find Chanyeol."

 

"Bye, thank you." Kris ends the call and sighs.

 

Right after he ended the call, he drove to Baek and Tao's house. He didn't even give a damn about taking a shower or cleaning himself up. His mind was way too occupied to be concerned with such things. But when he finally arrived, he couldn't help but feel disheveled, and it didn’t help at all when he saw Baekhyun scrunching his nose while muttering 'ew gross'.

 

"Hyung, can you at least wash your face? If I were Chanyeol, I wouldn't come back to you." Baekhyun said dramatically.

 

"You don't have to tell me that frankly. I already know." Kris sighed.

 

"Well, can I borrow your bathroom, shampoo, and soap? Ah and can I borrow a towel?"

 

"Yes, go ahead. And for the towel, just take it from the lower part of the cabinets in the bathroom." Kris nodded and thanked them.

 

Kris came back to his car and grabbed his clothes (he always brought a change of his and Chanyeol's clothes, just in case), and of course his face moisturizer.

 

15 minutes later, Kris was done freshening up and was clean again and they were ready to go to Chanyeol's old' orphanage. His mind was calmer than before. They headed to Tao's car after deciding that it wouldn’t be a great idea to use Kris's car since Chanyeol could recognize it easily, and after all, Chanyeol didn't see Tao's car enough to recognize it. Tao would be the one to drive it while Kris sat in the back, since Tao didn't want Kris to sit beside him.

 

---

 

Kris stared at buildings flying by through the clear window absentmindedly. He wondered, what should he said to Chanyeol when he finally met him? What if Chanyeol didn't want to meet him? And worse, what if Chanyeol wasn’t there? What if actually, Chanyeol hated him so bad that he didn't want to meet him? Kris sighed. There were so many scenarios in his head that when Baekhyun asked him something he didn't hear it.

 

"Hyung!" Still, no answer.

 

"HYUNG!" Baekhyun exclaimed to the elder.

 

"U-uh what? Sorry." Kris regained his senses and finally looked to the younger.

 

"Do you want to exchange seats?" Kris frowned at the question.

 

"I want to sleep. I'm tired." Kris raised his eyebrow while looking at Tao from his place as an answer.

 

"Tao is okay." Baekhyun said, knowing the elder's meaning.

 

"It's up to you." Kris said nonchalantly.

 

Then Tao stopped the car for a so they could change seats. Not long after, they continued the trip. Tao and Kris heard Baekhyun moaned in pleasure and muttering about how soft the seat was. After that, music coming from the radio was the only sound that shrouded the car.

 

Kris continued enjoying the vista. After he heard Baekhyun snoring softly, indicating that he was already sleeping, he said "I'm sorry." softly. Despite the music, Tao heard it.

 

"It's okay. However, Baekhyun said it's not that painful. So it's okay. Just don't do it again."

 

Kris frowned.

 

He didn't get it.

 

And then he remembered.

 

"I'm not saying sorry for that, I'm saying I'm sorry for yesterday."

 

"Oh. Why are you sorry?"

 

"For bringing you guys into my problems. Baekhyun looks so tired. I shouldn't've come to you, should I?"

 

"It would be worse if you didn't let us come with you." Tao said honestly.

 

"Why?" Kris frowned

 

"Well, Baek really likes Chanyeol hyung. He had a mental breakdown and his heart broke when he knew Chanyeol was gone and the fact that he never knew what it was or Chanyeol hyung's problems made it worse. He even lied to you about forgetting the road, and I'm here not just for Baekhyun. I like Chanyeol a lot too, so I want to help." Tao explained. Kris went back to his own thoughts, about how much people liked Chanyeol. No, he wasn’t jealous; instead, he found himself adoring Chanyeol more than he already did?

 

"Hyung?" Kris, hearing Tao called him, answered 'hum' nonchalantly and slightly taken aback when the younger addressed him as hyung. From what he knew, when Tao addressed elders with hyung it means he respected them.

 

"Can you replace me now?" He he nodded as they exchanged seats, Kris now becoming the driver.

 

"You're not tired at all huh, hyung? I bet you'll barely sleep." Tao mumbled and snuggled to his seat to get a more comfortable angle.

 

"No, in fact, I can't sleep." Kris answered to no one, as Tao had already fallen asleep.

 

---

 

"Guys, we're here." Kris said hoarsely, due to his crying last night and the fact he hadn't spoken in a while.

 

No one responded.

 

Kris sighed and cleared his throat.

 

"Guys, we're here!" He slightly raised his tone and volume. Slowly, Baekhyun and Tao opened their eyes and rubbed their eyes slowly.

 

Baekhyun excitedly sat up when he saw the orphanage. He missed it so badly. He saw the old gazebo, recalling how he and his other friends playing with him. Suddenly, his eyes met the sight of a cooking lady. God! How he had missed her so much. They got out from the car.

 

"Mom!" Baekhyun loud-whispered to the lady; who was cooking and humming softly at the same time. The latter's eyes went wide and when she was about to scream, Baekhyun pressed his index finger to his own mouth, indicating she should keep silent. Fortunately, the lady, who Baekhyun addressed as 'mom', got the signal and shut and walked casually to them.

 

---

 

"What bring you guys to here?" the lady asked once he reached the boys.

 

"Is Chanyeol in here, mom?" Baekhyun said straightforwardly. Then the lady' eyes turned sad. She sighed, the boys held their breath. Kris's eyes never left the woman.

 

"Yes, he is here." Everybody sighed in relief.

 

"But..." the lady got their attention just by that one word.

 

"I don't know. He seemed down when he got here." the lady said sadly before anger is all they see from her eyes.

 

"It's probably because this damn guy named Kris, who breaks my baby giant's heart. And - wait, mind telling your name, handsome?" The lady’s tone softened as she asked Kris’ name. Kris bit his bottom-lip nervously. Kris looked at Baekhyun, asking for help. Baekhyun sighed before he nodded, indicating that Kris should just tell her.

 

"Well, it just so happens that I'm Kris." Kris flinched when the lady started shrieking loudly.

 

"How dare you, peasant! Breaking my baby Chanyeol's heart! You-" the lady got interjected by Baekhyun.

 

"Mom, he didn’t break Chanyeol's heart." Baekhyun tried calming the lady.

 

"Then why is Chanyeol crying all the time and muttering 'Kris' in his sleep? Why did his appetite drop so drastically that he won't eat unless I throw a tantrum? Why?" Kris flinched when the lady practically screamed the last word.

 

"Calm down, Mom. It's not like that. Kris didn't leave him or break him. Kris is way too in love with Chanyeol for him to do that. In fact, Chanyeol is the one who left him." Baekhyun explained.

 

"Young love nowadays, so complicated." the lady muttering while massaging her temples.

 

"You seem like you're suffering too." Says the lady when she looked at Kris; lifeless face, black bags under his tired eyes, he did look so dreary. She sighed at the sight.

 

"Chanyeol is in his room. You can go into his room, wait until he wakes up, and please, make sure he eats. Lastly, talk to him. I won't disturb you. And you, “ she said, pointing to the couple, “Baekhyun and Tao, help me instead!" the lady finally decided earning a long groan from Baekhyun and Tao, while Kris's face slightly brightened up and bowed muttering thank you.

 

---

 

If there's anything you want to ask, just comment or message me,

 

feel free to critique me :D

 

wc: 6k