Appropriate considerations...

Winter and the Deer

 

 

 

To be or not to be: that is the question

- Hamlet by Shakespeare

 

 

In a way, Luhan has somehow evoked Kyungsoo's fury and that was never a good thing. Though confident that he be alive to see another day, the thought of the excruciating torture he'll be subjected was enough to fear the dryad. What cause the switch to turn on? He didn't know, fine, he does. In one word, his clinginess. For the dryad, the sidhe's overfriendly actions was of norm but the subject to that annoying personality was none other than his master and that was simply unforgivable. And somehow Luhan knows, no, instinctively feels just like how he feels that oozing murdering aura the petite dryad is releasing. But to say that Kyungsoo was the only barrier to his plans was an underestimation. It seems that his childhood buddies shares common opinion about his sticky ways of befriending his benefactor especially the sylph whose opinions, though unheard, are voiced by his actions. Forceful hands that pries him from the side of the adorable baozi fae.

 

"So?" Chanyeol slumped on the sofa next to the doozing tan tuatha earning a groan for the sudden unwanted motion. "Why are the purebloods here?" he eyed the landlord who was seated across him and next to the silent and mysterious fae who appears to be the oldest of the group. 

 

"To recuperate" Xiumin answered and almost immediately, Luhan concentrated at the conversation swooning at the voice of his new prey. Chanyeol rolled his eyes, even if Luhan is his childhood friend he can't understand how his brain works. 

 

"Recuperate?" Kris questioned refusing the cookies Baekhyun tries to feed him because It's not his style, But if you ask Luhan and maybe Chanyeol, he just find the calories unnecessary. Baekhyun was pushy though, not relenting to the dismissals of the dragon avator and poked the cookies to the tall chinese's mouth. Well, after that, without a doubt Kris ate the cookies and grabbed for more. 

 

"Four years ago, out of nowhere, the Unseelie court managed to broke past the barriers surrounding our town wrecking havoc afterwards. To lessen the casualties, we, members of the Seelie court have fought with the Unseelie court even with great disadvantage and managed to stall enough time to halt the time inside the town and preserve the body states of the citizens inside it. But in doing so, we've nearly exhausted our vitality and master's powers are temporarily sealed so we sealed the town in a space that is unreachable to the outside. For four years, we are in a slumber-state condition to recover our vitality at the least operational amount and for master to recover his sealed ability while guarding our bodies from harm. We've just woke up a few hours ago and with master's wishes we immediately was carried over here as to draw the Unseelie's attention away from the town" Joonmyeon explained, all too serious for the liking of a certain few. 

 

"Too lengthy" Baekhyun made a disgusted face before being smacked in the head by Kyungsoo. The pisky whined at the pain pouting at the dryad for the sudden attack. 

 

"By carried, you mean?" Chanyeol leaned at the table, elbows supporting the weight of his head, with a confused look on his puppy eyes. The light pisky grinned lunging forward at the cute creature he just discovered.

 

"Sehun carried us with his winds" Baekhyun chirped cuddling his new toy while the flustered salamander had to use all of his strengh struggling for freedom. "Your my new pet. I'm getting bored with Tao"

 

"Yah!" Tao threw a cushion to the light pisky who chuckled merrily after getting hit. The spriggan pouted at the sudden betrayal of his troublemaking partner. Well, Chen is still the number one partner for Baekhyun though. 

 

"Byun Baekhyun behave yourself. Now." Kyungsoo ordered, and with the tone he used, Baekhyun was left with no choice but to obey. Dejected Baekhyun rushed towards his bestfriend's open arms. Chen patted Baekhyun's back chuckling at the same old childish action, he missed. Chanyeol mumbled a thanks to the landlord releasing a relieved sigh. "With your action it's hard to believe Joonmyeon's story"

 

"But it did happen. The Unseelie attack. Tao nearly dying. Chen rampaging. Sehun protecting the town. Suho nearly disappearing into pools of water. And Master. M-M-Master" Baekhyun sobbed in Chen's arms refusing to let anyone see his crying face. The dryad felt guilty since whatever happened four years ago he was unable to bring aid. He doubt though that he'll be of much help. "Master was bloody, they kept on torturing him because master won't relent and yet he can't even rest. He must protect the sleeping us"

 

"That's enough Baekhyun, come here" Xiumin opened his arms to welcome the sobbing pisky and comforting him effectively. "Now, now, that's all in the past. What's important is for the now" Baekhyun nodded his head obediently wiping the tears with his wrist and lighting his face with the usual mischievous grin he's known of despite the puffiness and redness of his eyes. Somehow though, Chanyeol motioned, unconciously, for the pisky to cuddle with him which even he himself was shocked. The pisky, unlike his usual demanding cheerfulness, trodded towards him like a child. A pure innocent child. 

 

"Kyungsoo, no, friends of my dear Kyungsoo" Xiumin called his eyes running over the faces of the people Kyungsoo has been acquianted with. His face unreadable, his eyes void of clues. "I beg a favor, no, I strike a deal"

 

"Sure, count me in. Whatever it is" Luhan announced flashing his blinding smile which earned a groaned at the few skeptical men inside the manor. Sehun pouted still blocking the insane-looking, nevermind that insane-acting, sidhe from approaching his dear master. 

 

"A deal?" Lay who was quietly listening at the corner of the living room, though he appears to be staring blankly outside the window, stood up to join the group in their conversation fairly interested. Jongin woke up sensing the sudden silence, rubbing his eyes innocently. 

 

"Yes, a deal." Xiumin ran another observing look to his companions inside the room. He pointed to Luhan first, because he was easier to handle. "I'll teach you how to sing without attracting sprites and controlling the leaking faerie energy in your body. That way, subconcious memories of your faery origin should resurface. It'll be much less of a hassle to your life if you'll do be able to control it, fae vitality." The sidhe grinned approvingly, immediately riding on the boat without any thoughts of declining. In the way his brain works, Luhan's action can be simplified as 'this is a chance to get closer to his prey' a wonderful beastial instinct that made the real beast avatars shiver. 

 

"I'm in" Xiumin nodded and Sehun pulled the overly excited to the seat next to him to restrain the said fae from tackling his master into a hug. "No touching of my master" the sylph whispered, irritated. Luhan whined. He must deal with him somehow.

 

"For our tuatha d' naan, I can introduce you to certain fae that you must have expressed great effort to meet and help you in your impending search. I've, humble as it may, collected plenty of ancient lores that may help you with thy quest" The darker fae blinked silently analyzing momentarily the pros and cons before looking at Kyungsoo who nodded at him. 

 

"All right" He answered, lazily. His eyes staring right into the oldest fae's orbs questioning it of the knowledge it possess. A soft, mysterious and almost-invisible smile was the only reply he manage to get. 

 

"For our dragon-avatar and unicorn-avatar friends, I can help you  tame the beast inside you and teach you, with the best of my capabilities, the ways of perfectly using those abilities while lessening the burden to your human bodies. And as a supplement, since I am not an expert to avatar physiology, I'll grant you two wishes that physically possible and manageable with the meager abilities I have left." Xiumin eyed Chanyeol intently. The salamander waited for his turn nervously. His instinct told him that this fae was not someone of their league and not someone to be undestimated. "And for you my salamander friend, I can help you refine your knowledge in faerie matters and introduce you to my library like I did to our dear tuatha d' naan friend. And one more thing, I can pacify it

 

"Your terms in exchange?" Chanyeol questioned, voice strained. How much does this fae know? It seems, to him, that the cold fae who appears, in features alone, younger than them is a very dangerous man. 

 

"I want you to train under me and help me undo the seal we placed in our town."

 

"It seems too simple of a deal that it is suspicious" Lay leaned at the backrest of the sofa where Jongin was sitting observing the oldest fae intently and not sensing any lie in his words. Not the entire truth either. 

 

"Desperation calls desperate measures, my friend" 

 

"Fine. I'll accept the deal but let me add one more condition." Xiumin raised his brow, fairly interested in the human who seems to be the most logical among Kyungsoo's group of friends, followed by the salamander that is. 

 

"Speak"

 

"While we train under your supervision, your time in Seoul should also be spent in living harmoniously with humans and their customs" Lay suggested, a victorious grin plastered on his face. "That means no random whirlwind-making" He eyed the sylph who simply shrugged at the sudden attention. Xiumin pondered for a moment. 

 

"Very well. I accept the condition. Once again, let me introduce myself. I am Xiumin, Kyungsoo's mentor and from this day onwards shall be your mentor also"

 

"Deal" Lay grinned. Kris was rendered speechless, since when does the unicorn person knows how to manage dealing with people. He sighed, no choice since the deal has been called. He'll just have to ask Lay about it later, praying that the said person would not forget about it. 

 

"For the meantime, my apprentices seems to be needing rest" Xiumin let out a gentle smile as he watched the yawning faelings of his and eyed Kyungsoo who nodded cordially. 

 

"The rooms have been prepared, master" Kyungsoo smiled affectionately. "Jongin, you might want to continue your nap to your room. Lay-hyung, Kris-hyung, please prepare for dinner as you must because it is your cooking schedule today. And as much as possible, don't burn anything on my kitchen. Luhan-hyung can I ask you to accompany my visitors their rooms?"

 

"What should you be doing, Kyungsoo?" Kris whined, squirming at the thought of the labor. The dryad simply smiled at the question. 

 

"I'll be at my library. Relaxing. Any problems?" Kris shook his head thinking of the possible horrendous consequences that may befall if he let his mouth run off. "Would you care to join me, master?"

 

"Later, child" Xiumin smiled at his apprentice. Luhan groaned as he stood up dragging his feet to the second floor where the guests' rooms are located peering hesitantly at his baozi. Jongin trudged behind the group while Lay and Kris disappeared to the kitchen. Kyungsoo excused himself and made his way to his library leaving the salamander and his master alone. 

 

"Would you rather talk here or somewhere else?" Xiumin broke the silence with his inquiry. The salamander shook his head staring intently at the benevolent fae, a serious expression on his face. 

 

"Somewhere else" 

 

"Very well. Please do lead the way"