Average

CONTROL

Park Chanyeol, born in Special District 3 in Seoul, one of the two children of an average couple, never really worried about much.
People called District 3 'Rat Hole' but well, he couldn't really compare it to anything, so to him it always just was 'home'. He knew there was a whole world outside the fence and the security checkpoints where all the 'normal' people lived the lives that were shown on TV but it was his father who taught him that it wasn't the normal people who shut them in but they, the so-called Special Citizens, who kept the normal people out. The normal people needed to make their lives look more interesting through their dramas and blockbuster movies with fake special effects because they just didn't have what the Special Citizens had: genuine power. So they looked down on those better than them.

Chanyeol's role model was his father who was generous and always in control. His power was air but although he probably would have been strong enough to blow away a whole army, he usually just used it to stop his wife's mini catastrophes.

Chanyeol's earliest memory of his mother was her setting fire to the handbag of a lady who, after throwing it away under screams, had then glued his mother's feet to the ground to gain enough time to run away. He couldn't really remember what the whole thing was about but he figured that his mother had yet again accused his father of an affair. It was like their family's running gag, especially because it was her husband who should have worried about his wife being unfaithful, there weren't so many females in their district to begin with, but she had a really foul temper and a wild imagination, so the moment he was nice to any woman, she blew.

To Chanyeol it was always clear that he wanted a marriage like his parents had, no matter how much they argued. To him they always were the perfect couple.
He wasn't sure whether he wanted a wife just like his mother, or one as little as her as possible, but it was out of question that he would have one, and 2.5 children and maybe his own apartment in the nicer buildings of their district. It was the only thing he wanted in life, so he chose to ignore the reality around him.

Only 20% of the Special Citizens were female. So even most daughters of Special Citizens, like his sister for example, were without powers. Only those with powers were marked and had the barcode behind their right ear, but to be born in any of the Special Districts was already a stigma. Most families with a newborn female gave them away to orphanages outside. With the laws on Special Citizens getting harsher every year, it probably was only a question of time until even the 'normal' children had to be marked and a future within the Special Districts and without powers didn't look too bright.
As a result the number of females in his district kept shrinking. Most of the remaining girls without powers usually found a way to leave once they were of age and the few girls with powers were fought over like wild animals.

It would have been hard enough to find any kind of female to spend his life with, but Chanyeol refused to give up on his dream, at least until reality slowly caught up on him.
He wanted to be content but then it all went down in a mayhem of mistakes and misunderstandings. His whole world kept spinning and before he could really understand what was happening to him, it stopped. And just when he thought that this was it, another path suddenly opened and he began to wonder whether it maybe wasn't time to rethink his plans.