〉〉 Rules + Guidelines

〈 IN ANOTHER LIFE 〉 - An Infinite Writing Contest, JUDGING
ground rules

Please follow the rules, I'd hate to reject an entry over something preventable!

1. Play nice - Be friendly to each other. If you've got issues with me or how I'm dealing with the contest, however, do bring them to me.

2. Limit one entry per participant - I'd much rather you focus your effort and energy on really developing your story.

3. Link back to this contest in your description or foreword - It'll help spread word, and the more the merrier!

4. List your prompts in your description or foreword - I will check to ensure they meet the line(s) requirement, and will notify you if something is amiss.

5. Please don't make your entry private/friends only/subscribers only - You may submit your entry as soon as you have the description/foreword up, if you like. Simply comment with the following.

Username -

Story title + rated/not -

Story link -

Completed/not -

Password -

6. Plagiarism is BAD - It goes without saying, but copying someone else's work is strictly prohibited.

Some reminders from the contest description follow.

7. Entries should be written solely for this contest.

8. Entries should be created after February 14, 2014.

9. Deadline is August 27, 2014, by 23:59 Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time (HST).

10. Co-authors are not allowed.

11. Reviewer input and/or feedback, if you choose to seek it, only after the contest closes.

Still with me? Great! The PW is "maybe this is it."

how to play

The goal is to write an AU story incorporating any line of five prompt squares on the game card. Horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines all count! For those who want to try something extra challenging, there is the additional option of using nine prompts, formed by two intersecting lines. I want to emphasize that choosing to do two lines will not automatically give you an advantage. As stated in the description, I will be judging stories based on creative incorporation of prompts, parting impression, and overall enjoyment. The extra challenge is really for your personal satisfaction as a writer. Some examples of potential prompt clusters follow, though there are certainly more possibilities when it comes to line intersections.

IRcmdYE.png?1

Once you have picked out your cluster, it's time to create an AU. The possibilities are practically endless - the only universe you may not use is one in which Infinite is a seven-member kpop boy group. Four potential examples are as follows, though there are certainly way more possibilities. (For the sake of specificity, I will use Sungyeol as the primary character in all my examples from here on out. Please don't take these examples seriously either!)

〉〉 High fantasy in which there is no resemblance to reality as we know it. (Sungyeol is the resident evil sorcerer of the kingdom of Ulykke, only he's really bad at being evil and would much rather dote on his dragon, Jureumi.)

〉〉 Low fantasy in which there is some resemblance to reality as we know it. (Sungyeol masquerades as a theater major, but is secretly a superhero waging war against crime with his stretchy elastic powers.)

〉〉 Alternate reality in which the character/s is/are not part of the music industry. (Sungyeol is a loan shark with a debt to collect, yet somehow finds himself on a wild goose chase around the city when his target keeps changing identities.)

〉〉 Alternate reality in which the character/s is/are not part of a seven-member kpop boy group. (Sungyeol is the drummer of a rookie krock group set to debut in approximately never, because they may or may not have just cussed out the CEO.)

〉 How you incorporate your prompts into your AU depends on how you interpret them. The prompts are hopefully vague enough that you may take them as literally or as loosely as you want.

〉 Exercise judgment. If your interpretation is too loose, you might consider making an explanatory note at the end of your story so I won't assume you forgot to incorporate one of your prompts. Some examples of potential AUs for the prompt "towel" and their explanations follow, though there are certainly more possibilities.

〉〉 Sungyeol is a towel salesman in a department store, which is as boring as it sounds. (The obvious interpretation of "towel" involves the literal object.)

〉〉 Sungyeol is a hotel pool-boy who spends his summer picking up after lazy tourists and fishing out poodles that slip in the water. (One of his duties involves picking up discarded towels and handing them to housekeeping.)

〉〉 Sungyeol is a recovering boxer, bitter that his last match ended in a punctured lung and an even more bruised ego. (He had to throw in the towel due to injury.)

〉 With the exception of one square, all the prompts are one isolated word. There is no context in order to allow participants more leeway for interpretation. Consider the prompt "crack" and how it may be used. Some examples follow, though there are certainly more possibilities.

〉〉 Bored-towel-salesman!AU where Sungyeol occupies himself counting cracks in the ceiling.

〉〉 Asylum!AU where Sungyeol is admitted because people think he went insane (cracked).

〉〉 Fairytale!AU where Sungyeol the swordsman begins training at the crack of dawn.

〉〉 University!AU with a crack genre.

〉〉 Underground!AU where Sungyeol is an undercover cop busting a drug (crack) dealer.

〉 Seriously, just go wild. That's the fun with AUs!

Seeing as this is an Infinite writing contest, it should come as no surprise that at least one of the Infinite members must be a main character in your story. Once that requirement is satisfied, any other character, if you choose to have more as supporting characters, is up to you! Your story can be a member-centric story, a friendship story between your chosen member and another character(s), a romance, or whatever else you can come up with - I really do not care which you choose, so long as you have fun doing it and it meets the requirements of the contest. Regarding platonic/romantic pairings, you are free to choose whoever you like and write whatever you like, assuming you are even writing a pairing. I will not favor one pairing over another, nor will the presence of a pairing give you an advantage. Some potential examples are as follows, though there are certainly way more possibilities.

〉〉 member x other member (Sungyeol is having a bad day, and Woohyun is an annoyingly persistent telemarketer who is four seconds from going deaf.)

〉〉 member x other idol (Sungyeol is less than pleased when he finds a genie in the bottle instead of milk, and Hyerin isn't exactly happy about having to grant the brat wishes either.)

〉〉 member x OC (Sungyeol steals his first painting from some guy named Taejoon, escaping with only a nip at his ankle from the man's overweight Jindo…or so he thought, until he spontaneously sprouts a tail during the full moon.)

〉〉 member x you (When Sungyeol asked you out, you expected dinner and a movie, not a high-speed chase across Seoul.)

〉 But what if I want to write an OT3? Or a moresome? Sure, go right ahead! Whatever you want to do, go forth and write! Simply remember that it is yet another aspect of your universe you'll have to consider and convey.

〉 And gender-bending? If I want to write the members as girls? Also fine, so long as there is a significant reason and you convey that in your universe.

〉 ! Here's where I kind of have to draw a line. If you want to write rated stuff, by all means. I don't want to hinder your ideas! I will not accept PWPs ( without plot, plot what plot?) however. If you wish to write , it has to contribute significantly to your story and must be clearly marked.

〉 All potentially triggering topics should, in fact, be clearly indicated in either your description or foreword. Let me know if your story is rated. It will not put you at an advantage or disadvantage, but I need to make a note of it on the entrants page in case others want to check out your story.

layout designed and coded by flamzfox at Cerulean Themes