〉〉 FAQ

〈 IN ANOTHER LIFE 〉 - An Infinite Writing Contest, JUDGING
further inquiries?

Ask away!

Q. Wondering if the entries must be chaptered stories?
A. No, not at all! Entries may be as long or short as you wish, so long as they meet the contest requirements.

Q. Wondering if my contest entry may be a story I previously had tried to write in the past for another contest but because it was cancelled I never had the opportunity to write anything except the description and foreword?
A. As the rules state, "Entries should be written solely for this contest" and "Entries should be created after February 14, 2014" - as long as it is not an existing story of yours, I do not mind if you recycle an idea if it meets the contest criteria. I hope you understand that these rules are only in place because it's not fair if someone uses something pre-written while everyone else starts from scratch.

Q. Can I use an AU based on a book? Like maybe um... Hunger Games!AU or Harry Potter!AU?
A. Sure! Given the caveat about plagiarism, of course, drawing inspiration from a published work is fine by me as long as it is properly credited.
*In a similar vein of questioning -
Q. Is it okay if the fic is inspired by another fandom as well? I was referring to an established work like the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Harry Potter and the likes.
A. That's fine. Given the caveat about plagiarism, of course, drawing inspiration from a published work is fine by me as long as it is properly credited. (I would not be comfortable if it's someone else's fic however.)

Q. Just to clarify, if I want a different quote, do I have to give up this one? I know you said 'trade,' so that means once I ask for a new quote I'm forfeiting this one?
A. Yes, exactly that! Since each participant is only allowed one trade, should you choose to give up your current quote, you'll have to stick with its replacement...unless you choose to change your line to exclude the ∞ square, of course.

Q. Do you accept ? The member x member example you listed seems to be of a friendship nature.
A. Sure! I'm open to any pairing, be it romantic or platonic - the examples I provide should in no way limit you.

Q. Do all prompts need to be within the story? Obviously portrayed? Or can metaphors be used?
A. You can choose to obviously portray all your prompts, use all your prompts metaphorically, or do a combination of both literal and figurative. All the above are acceptable, and it is entirely up to you how you interpret and represent your prompts - I only ask that you have fun playing with your options!

Q. If it's a chaptered fic, can I use the prompt to refer to different things in different chapters?
A. Yes, you most definitely can! You can totally use a prompt to refer to different things, even if you weren't writing a chaptered story. For example, if I were to default back to my Sungyeol-and-towels examples, I might refer to the towel prompt in completely different ways within the same work - "Sungyeol is a recovering boxer who had to throw in the towel due to injury, which makes his current job as a towel salesman in a department store all the more ironic."
*With the asker's permission, I have modified the question so that it is more general and easily applicable to all, and substituted their example with my own.

Q. Would we be disqualified if we didn't finish our story on time? Or would the story only be judged up for what it has?
A. You do in fact have to finish your story to be eligible for judging. I do not want the deadline to be a deterrent for starting or entering a story however, so I propose the following - if you choose to enter a story and it remains incomplete by the deadline, while it may not be eligible for placement, I would nonetheless be happy to read and comment on it if you persist and finish it for yourself. Same process goes. Simply write on your own time, and if you complete your entry, even after the contest closes, drop a comment here letting me know and I'll pop on over! Even if it doesn't happen right away, I did guarantee every completed entry a comment from me, so please do your best ♡

Q. After the contest results are out, are we allowed to go back and edit / take away / make longer our stories or should they stay the same?
A. Ideally they would stay the same since they've been marked complete - I will leave this contest up even after it closes, and if by chance someone stumbles across the list of entries and is linked to your story, I don't want there to be any unwanted surprises. You are, however, nonetheless free to edit / exclude / add whatever you wish after results are out, as long as you keep the contest's challenge and prompts in mind (examples for what you may not do include, but are not limited to, removing scenes crucial for establishing your bingo line, changing the story to canon-verse, replacing Infinite with another group...) and keep the link to the contest and list of prompts in your description or foreword. Please also notify me if your story goes from unrated to having rated content, so I can make a note of it!

Q. I'm also considering extending it all together because the feedback from my readers is really positive, so I don't know if that would be an issue. Is that alright as well?
A. If you want to edit scenes to touch them up after results are out, that's fine - I am a little hesitant about extending the story, because one of my judging criteria, as noted in the contest description, is parting impression (AKA how your ending affects me as a reader). Assuming you plan to pick up where you left off, instead of adding chapters in the middle, that would alter the ending I'm judging. Of course, as this is your story, you are free to do whatever you want when the contest closes and I cannot stop you if you wish to build onto what you have. I certainly understand and sympathize with wanting to continue something you feel deserves more, and I'm actually really happy to know you care so much about bringing the best out of your story. I do think your fellow player's suggestion of a sequel is a good option, in order to preserve the ending of your current entry, but it is ultimately up to you. Since you agree to wait until after I post results to write more anyway, I take it you acknowledge your changes will not be considered in the placing process.

layout designed and coded by flamzfox at Cerulean Themes