Final

waiting in vain for your love

dedicated to yeolbaeby and niknik

 

 

 

 

i

 

It starts with a drizzle and continues on for hours and hours as a bad storm, puddles accumulating on roads and never-ending drops as though there’s construction going on the roof. It’s cuddle weather for some, enjoying sharing umbrellas and getting clothes drenched in the process to dry. While Baekhyun is in her house complaining of its bane of existence.

 

“Why must it rain on a sunny day?” She’s looking past through the windows of the living room.

 

Earlier, she was thinking twice whether or not she’d push through going to the mall to let the boredom boiling inside of her subside. But as the rain pours and droplets hits the roof in an annoying pattern, she couldn’t help but to push the idea at the back of her head.

 

"I really just hate it! I hate rain! Apart from the fortunate fact that it waters my plants and makes it grow naturally, I hate how it makes me feel sticky. I hate how it makes it feel as though my clothes are second skin. It’s irritating and—" she lets out an ear-splitting scream, bringing forth the presence of Kyungsoo right at the arc leading to the living room.

 

Out of all the people in the world, Baekhyun must be the one who hates rain the most and despise it as it is. When it rains, she has this concept in her mind that it would ruin her entire day when as a matter of fact, she destroys her own day with her incessant whines and complaints every few hours that drizzles and signs of an oncoming storm search comes up. It appears that there have been so many worst case scenarios that have happened in her life to make her hate the rain. Some involve breaking up and waiting in vain and all those sappy memories she’d rather burn and throw in her mental recycle bin.

 

"I don’t even get it why it’s a big deal being kissed under the pouring rain," she whines, mocking damsels in distress in the world.

 

According to her twisted brain, these damsels in distress are seeking their one true Romeo’s in life and believe in a true love’s kiss which makes it all the more of them pathetic.

 

“Won’t the couple just get all wet? So what’s the biggie?" she asks in contempt, receiving close to no reply from a single microorganism in her environment, except Kyungsoo’s string of sighs as the younger plops down on a couch with a glass of pineapple juice in hand.

 

For someone who doesn’t have an experience of true love, must Baekhyun know how it feels? She hasn’t even engaged in a relationship that lasted for more than a few weeks, so uhm?

 

“Baekhyunnie, ranting about how you hate the rain and relating it to love is just absurd,” Kyungsoo says, as a matter of fact. She doesn’t even know if she’s doing it merely to break Baekhyun’s silence or is it ranting that she’s doing that she’s afraid her half-sister’s halfway through the mental stage that she worries she needs to run her to the hospital? "Do you know so much about love to judge it? For someone who hasn’t even loved seriously… what do you think?”

 

"Oh, please enlighten me.” It’s full of sarcasm when Baekhyun says it. “You could’ve just told me that I just gave off a bad analogy and that it and I ultimately fail in making your everyday fun.” With that, Baekhyun plops herself down the couch next to Kyungsoo.

 

"Get a boyfriend," Kyungsoo simply says. "Discover love, entangle and trap yourself in it! Only then you’ll know how it really feels. There may be bittersweet moments, but you’ll get through it, because they’re part of it. It all just really boils down if you two are actually made for each other and if the both you could work it out and are mutually willing to surpass every obstacle that comes along the way just like—“

 

"You sound like a counselor and yes, I know!” Baekhyun cuts in, “You and Jongin! Don’t you have better examples exempting the both of you? I’m really as tired as hell listening to your mushy and gushy that you make it sound as though my life’s worthless. Haven’t you thought about me, your sister? Who you don’t fail to always neglect, torture, and always, always, I’m pissed!"

 

"Good for you!" Kyungsoo remarks just as she finishes her glass of juice. "Yes, I’m your sister and I’m younger, but you’re way too immature for my liking. Plus, out of all the things you said, the only thing I understood is I’m pissed."
 


In the household of the Byun’s, it has always been like this. There won’t pass a day that the two sisters won’t have a decent argument (if you’d like to call it decent) and there won’t come a day in which Baekhyun still fails to come to terms what really love is. Yes, she’s interested about it; say, she’s interested about having the one for her and actually torturing him to be her servant to carry her pots and vases of flowers to and fro her flower shop.

 

Because yes, Byun Baekhyun is a florist who manages her own flower shop. She makes it a point to stop and smell the roses, even if she has a distorted understanding of it.

 

Kyungsoo turns to Baekhun whilst standing then, “If you’re planning on turning to me for advice just to satisfy your every week boy toy needs, I advice that you accept that what’s-his-name guy that’s been your suitor for 4 months now. It’s been long overdue and he’s quite the persistent type. Moreover, you haven’t had a relationship in months. Give him one chance, one date and see for yourself. I’ll get him if you don’t make a move.”
 


“Get him, tch.” Baekhyun scoffs. “Remember that you have Jongin! If you get him, then Jongin’s coming to me.”
 


“So, really, tell me,” Kyungsoo narrows her eyes in suspicion at Baekhyun. “You like him, don’t you? You’re only making excuses.”
 


“I…uh….no, I don’t know,” Baekhyun stutters and not so gracefully throws her bunny slippers at the younger’s direction before Kyungsoo even has a chance to escape.

 











 

 

“Hey Chanyeol, how’s that girl that you’ve been wooing for almost 4 months now?”


“She’s still ignoring me, Kris,” Chanyeol says whilst jogging on concrete for his warm-ups before he hits the elliptical exerciser.
 


“It’s been way too long, man. Won’t you attempt for another?” Kris asked for the umpteenth time in the month, certainly just so irritated about his friend’s persistence on pursuing a girl who doesn’t even dare look at him for a split second. “Come on, Chan, you know better than to chase the girl. You’ve got the looks, don’t tell me you’re sticking to one until she ends up on your feet and begs?”
 


“You can say that again,” Chanyeol half-chuckles, hands on the back of his head as he does sit-ups now. “And hey,” he complains, “how could you speak of your cousin like that?”
 


“I’m on your side, man.” Kris sighs. “She is my cousin, yes. But I think she’s very immature. I know her better than you. I think and swear that I can pretty much say that she gets everything her way. Baekhyun is something. She doesn’t easily fall for, nor does she easily swoon over someone who she hasn’t even had the time to talk to. Just like you. If he were to choose a guy, maybe he’d choose the likes of Joonmyun or maybe Jongin, for that matter.”

 

“Really, Joonmyun the horticulturist?” Chanyeol sounds surprised.

 

“It’s the money,” Kris whispers, laughing as he does. “But of course I’m kidding. It’s that he’s knowledgeable about flowers and plants, too, and it makes him a viable prospect for Baekkie.”

 

“And Jongin’s Kyungsoo’s boyfriend.”

 

“Just offering you an example.”
 


“Bet you a hundred won that she’ll fall for me,” Chanyeol says with pure conviction this time around. “I’ve seen her reject and answer some guys so easily, yet you tell me she’s not easy to get?”
 


“Hey!” Kris exclaims. “My cousin is not easy to get! She’s doing that not because she wants them. It’s because she’s giving them a chance and something along the lines of feelings may surface for her too, if she feels that it’s right. It’s not like she makes them her boyfriend so easily. They’re just dates. She told me herself. She’s got her own way of doing things, so if you really really really exaggeratedly like her—no, make that love, then by all means you better get on her good side. Besides, have you really seen her cry after a break up?”
 


“No, not really.”
 


“That’s because she never really does. I reckon that she told me she never regrets being the first one to break up. Baekhyun has a different way of thinking about things. I don’t know what’s going on in her mind, but all I could think about is that maybe…the guys she’s dated before weren’t really worth all her tears. And there’s this little trivial information about her. Once, I told her that in my opinion, guys should be the one to break up with girls because they were the ones to really put in much effort in wooing the girl, so they have the authority of breaking up. She told me immediately then to take my words back and I did, because at that time I didn’t want an argument and she started telling me things that could defend her perspective about girls being more emotional and that entire hormonal thing. In short, she’s very fond of the word ‘debate’. So, what do you say?”
 


“Thank you for that piece of information,” and Kris could just look at him incredulously.

 

It’s not like Kris is shunning Chanyeol away from his cousin because he likes his own cousin. No, because that’s really ridiculous and Baekhyun could be disgusting at times for a woman her age. It’s just because Baekhyun personally told him to keep Chanyeol away from her reach. Why? He still doesn’t know, though, but maybe it has something to do with his playboy status. 

 

“Just saving you the unnecessary heart break.” Kris shakes his head, realizing Chanyeol’s never really been the one to easily give up anyway.

 

For now he’ll just work his way to buff and muscles to get his own Yixing or wait, is it Zitao?
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


At 12 afternoon the next day, Baekhyun immediately puts on a sleeveless dark green tank top, tops it with a brown vest the minute she steps out her bathroom. She sports beige short pants just a few inches above her knees and steps in her Nike dunks—she’s never really been the girly type. She’s so ready to go to her flower shop.

 

“Soo, ready yet?!” she bangs on her sister’s door continuously, and rather—impatiently.

 

As fast as the younger sister could, she opens the door and surprises her elder sister with what she’s wearing.

 

“Yes, ma’am!” she salutes.

 

“Why are you wearing a dress?” Baekhyun questions, looking at her sister as if she just did something forbidden by law. It’s just a natural reaction for Baekhyun to say this, simply because what Kyungsoo’s wearing is contrasting to her own.

 

“I don’t reckon hearing the government say that I’m not allowed to wear a dress.” Kyungsoo rolls her eyes. “Moreover, the female population in South Korea.”

 

“Whatever.” Baekhyun mock rolls her eyes. “Let’s just go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

After dropping Kyungsoo off for her date with Jongin, Baekhyun is greeted by her co-florists Minseok and Luhan as she steps in Les Fleurs.

 

Luhan and Minseok are two of her male friends from high school. It’s been a lifetime dream for the three of them to come up with this shop that they now own. Although it’s signed under Baekhyun’s name, Luhan and Minseok does most of the helping and the hands on work around the shop.

 

So Baekhyun relishes in the brand new exterior Luhan and Minseok put up, pastel pink with a mix of purple on the walls of the shop, minimalist floral patterns making it all the more flowery as though it isn’t already. She sniffs the fragrance coming from tiger lilies, roses, and gerbera daisies and she thinks she’s never been more alive. It’s been tradition to be amazed like this and get so excited whenever they have new flowers on the house.

 

“We’ve got new flowers from Joonmyun,” Minseok beams. “And he’d like to see you this coming weekday at his garden, because he’s growing some orchids.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Baekhyun smiles. “What time is it going to be?”

 

“At 11 in the morning, if I’m not mistaken,” Luhan quips. “We took note of the details already for you.”

 

Baekhyun sweetly smiles at Luhan in sincere appreciation.

 

“Oh, are these what I think they are?” Baekhyun’s surprised.

 

“Those are Peruvian lilies,” Luhan provides. “They’re hard to grow in our weather as they’re native to South America, so they’ll only last a while. But I think you know that already.”

 

The rest of the afternoon’s spent talking about the coming Valentine’s Day and arrangements for a bulk order from Joonmyun of roses because it’s classic romance, gerbera daisies as they symbolize innocence and purity in their peppy hues and large cheerful oranges. Then there are tulips for perfect love, comfort, and warmth. It’s a classic and also rather affordable, to say the least. And of course the Peruvian lilies, long-lasting and attention-seeking for the physical appearance of its petals that signify friendship and devotion. Casa blanca lilies, on the other hand, are beautiful, if not also classy and stylish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On a weekend, Baekhyun accompanies Kyungsoo to the mall because Jongin is taking too long and they’re set for a date again. As Baekhyun notices, they’ve been having frequent dates these days and it almost seems like they see each other every day now. Baekhyun has an inkling to ask why Kyungsoo isn’t living under the same roof with Jongin still, but that would mean lonely Baekhyun in the wee hours of night in their shared pad.

 

“Baekkie, look!” Kyungsoo exclaims, pointing at something—no, someone, actually. Baekhyun curiously looks and heaves out a heavy sigh when she does.

 

Because isn’t that the tall and lanky male living across the neighborhood?

 

“Did you actually have to call out my entire being just so I’d divert my attention to him?” she asks, crossing her arms.

 

“Yes?” Kyungsoo says, as a matter of fact.

 

“Why?”

 

“Well, who were you looking at to begin with?” Kyungsoo asks with her right brow raising in suspicion. “I was pointing at Kris, dummy!”

 

“Oh,” a small gasp escapes from Baekhyun’s lips just as she finds herself following Kyungsoo’s way toward their cousin and a friend of his. Simply speaking, she thought it was that someone walking alongside their cousin she thought Kyungsoo was pointing to earlier.

 

“Krissy!”

 

Kris turns around just in time, walking over where Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are.

 

“What brings you two here?” he asks, flashing his boyish sunshine smile meant to irritate.
 

Still with arms crossed, Baekhyun answers, “I wanted to breathe some fresh air.”

 

Kris only nods as he turns to his friend. “And if you guys still remember, this is Chanyeol Park.”

 

“He’s our neighbor.” Baekhyun frowns.

 

“And Baekhyun’s suitor,” Kyungsoo quips.

 

Baekhyun can’t help but bite her lower lip with that remark, wanting to throttle her little sister’s neck until she begs for air.


Baekhyun doesn’t know what to say next. The remark was awkward as it is and if Kyungsoo hadn’t said that out loud, she would have come up with something to say next already. The remark drastically ruined her mood and she just doesn’t feel like saying anything at all anymore.

 

“So,” Chanyeol breaks the silence, “What brings you ladies here?”

 

But before anyone could even reply, Kris pushes his friend to the side with an immediate lecture, “Man, you just repeated what I asked earlier.”

 

“Did I?” the other asks dumbly.

 

“Well, if you didn’t, would I push you to the side and tell you? I told you and I’ll be telling you once again. You have to get on Baekhyun’s good side for her to actually take notice of you. Judging from how things are going, I’m not so sure.”

 

For the record, it was true. Actually, it’s a fact and more often than not, Chanyeol acts stupidly and crazily in love whenever he’s around Baekhyun. He couldn’t quite figure out what made him this attracted to her, but he knew it happened just like that. It was never likely of him to be acting like that. It was almost as if this would be the first time Cupid’s hitting him with an invisible arrow with a heart tip.

 

On the side, someone silently comments, “Poor blushing puppy.”

 

“Again.”

 

Kyungsoo looks at Baekhyun in confusion, trying to process in her mind what the heck Baekhyun was trying to imply. “I said again. Repeat what you just said.”

 

In a blur, Kyungsoo half-asks, “Poor blushing puppy?”

 

“I like how it sounds,” Baekhyun laughs, “It definitely fits.”

 

“How could you laugh like that?” Kyungsoo sadly asks. “Honestly speaking, we all know that the reason he gets all that stupid is because of you.”

 

“What about me?” Baekhyun laughs again, enjoying too much.
 

“Well, he likes you!” Kyungsoo exclaims, as if it isn’t obvious enough.

 

“Okay, Soo, let’s not get too carried away,” Baekhyun says, sighing, as she noticed Kris and Chanyeol coming right back. “We can continue this as soon as we get home. The guys are back.”

 

“So...” Chanyeol starts once again, hoping he wouldn’t fail the conversation this time around.

 

But even before he could say anything, Baekhyun interrupts and says, “Soo and I are checking out this season’s collection, so you guys have an option of staying or ditching us now.”

 

“Baekkie, that’s a little harsh,” Kyungsoo comments.

 

“What is?” Baekhyun asks in whisper, turning to face her sister. “It was actually a pleasure for me to save his in talking stupid again.”

 

“Okay,” Kyungsoo heaves out a sigh, “If you say so.”

 

After which, Baekhyun hooks arms with Kyungsoo as they go all haute couture with the two guys trailing behind their backs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Baekkie,” Kyungsoo calls out after walking out of a couple stores. “Jongin just texted that he’s here.”

 

“Well, what can I do right? You already called him.”

 

“Yes, actually. But you know for a fact that that means I have to go, right? So, would it be okay if you hang out with Kris and Chanyeol for a while?”

 

“I guess so,” Baekhyun sighs. “What else can I do? I owe you a lot for accompanying me. Have fun!” It’s completely sarcastic when she says it.

 

“Thanks,” Kyungsoo smiles, fading every so often as she steps farther and farther away from the group.

 

“So, are you guys leaving me too?” Baekhyun turns around.

 

Kris looks at his watch before replying, “I have a meeting at four o’clock sharp and it’s barely 15 minutes before it starts. Mind if I leave you with Chanyeol?”

 

With that, Chanyeol could only nudge Kris in the arm as the latter gives him a thumbs-up sign instead. Baekhyun, on the other hand, could only smirk, trying to find a way out of the matter as her cousin finally exits the scene.

 

“What about you?” she asks. “Do you have somewhere important to go to as well?”

 

“No, not really.” Chanyeol shakes his head.

 

“I’m actually feeling kind of tired, though.”

 

“I could drive you home if you want.”

 

“Is that okay?”

 

“I guess so. Let’s go?”

 

 

 

 

 


The drive back home’s silent. One thing even brought Chanyeol down: Baekhyun sitting at the back of the car with her paper bags of clothes keeping her warm and company. There are only about three things you’ll hear every so often: the steering of the wheel, the honking and the braking of the car. She doesn’t want this type of drive back home, so she purposely takes initiative to ask him questions.

 

“Why aren’t you speaking to me?”

 

“Mainly because you’re not saying anything.”
 

“Do I need to?”

 

“Well of course, if you want to talk to me.”

 

“But you’re always so nosy whenever you tell me you like me,” she points out, as a matter of fact. “And at one point, I may have thought you were obsessing over me and it’s really creepy,” but Baekhyun only thinks this.

 

“That’s a different kind of thing we’re talking about now.”

 

“Are you giving up?” she asks, hoping he’d say yes.

 

“No,” and he says it firm.

 

“Why?”

 

“Frankly because giving up is not in my vocabulary.”

 

Seeing so that this conversation isn’t going anywhere anymore, she changes the topic.

 

“You don’t like music?”

 

“Why do you ask?”

 

“Radio isn’t .”
 

“You want me to turn it on?” he asks politely, hoping she’d say yes because having music when there’s awkward silence building up is definitely a good idea.

 

“No, not really.”

 

“You look kind of bored,” he glances at the rear view mirror.

 

“You can say that again,” she sighs in relief, thanking the heavens that Chanyeol actually realized something true.

 

“What—“ he was supposed to start a conversation by then, only that the car stopped moving.

 

But then the rev of the engine stops too and the car refuses to move.

 

“What just happened?”

 

“Sorry, I didn’t check on the gas,” he apologizes, stepping out of the car to check up on his hood.

 

“I wouldn’t blame you.” She steps right in after him. “You probably thought we’d reach to your house. From here, it’s only a couple of meters anyway. I guess we could push the car at least until my flower shop.”

 

“I’m not okay with the idea that you’re pushing it with me.”

 
“Are you underestimating my abilities?” she sounds offended.

 

“No, of course not.”
 

“For once, let me do you a favor.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“You know, I actually owe you a lot. With all that courting and stuff even when I’m not asking for it.”

 

“It’s not a favor. It’s something purely out of feelings. Baekhyun, you know I like you. And I do things for people I like. I won’t be lying that I’m kind of getting impatient waiting, but I won’t stop.”

 

“What if I never say yes?” she asks, yet only silence only seems to surface. “Wait, actually!” she exclaims, “Drop by my house tomorrow morning with a bouquet of flowers of your choice?”

 

“What have you got up your sleeve?”

 

“You’ve never given me flowers.”

 

“But that’s because you own a flower shop and maybe you’re tired of them? And that’s not an answer.”

 

“I never tire of flowers and I know,” and it’s a remark meant to irritate, but it doesn’t faze him.

 

“So, anyway, are we just going to stop here and leave the car?”

 

“I actually wanted to help you out earlier, but I change my mind.”

 

“You better go home then.”

 

“I was just kidding, silly!”

 

“You’re helping me out?”

 

“Oh, come on! Give me a hundred won if I end up pushing this to your crib in 3 minutes.”

 

What happens after that doesn’t make Baekhyun gain a hundred won.







Upon entering the house, Baekhyun breaks down deliberately on the inviting sofa with a smile on her face. She thought about giving him a chance over and over again. She thought about the possibilities that could happen if ever they really would come to be. Having a rundown about what happened today, Baekhyun finally realizes that Chanyeol isn’t that bad of a guy. After all, it’s never likely for a guy to be courting a girl in months. Most of them give up even before things have started. Moreover, it’s not a joke to be doing so.

 

Finally then, it came upon her the fact that she’s being selfish. Again, she thought about what she told him an hour back about stopping by at the house and bringing a bouquet of his choice of flowers tomorrow. For now, she just hopes that he wouldn’t screw the chance up and minimize it to 0.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


“Baekkie, someone rang the doorbell!” Kyungsoo shouts, toothpaste foam smudged around as she does her daily morning routine in the bathroom.

 

“I happen to have heard.” Baekhyun rolls her eyes and reaches out to the door.

 

And there stands Chanyeol in all his 6 foot and counting glory with a pleasant smile on his face and with a bouquet of flowers in hand just as she told him yesterday so to bring.

 

In return, Baekhyun could only smirk, fully opening the door, letting him in to take a seat.

 

“Who was it?” Kyungsoo asks, toothbrush in hand as she walks over to the living room. “Figures,” she says, with a suppressed knowing smile forming on her face, just as she spots Chanyeol seated next to Baekhyun. Before Baekhyun could chide her for it, she runs back upstairs to finish what she’s started.

 

“So?”

 

“I brought you flowers and I still want you to be my girlfriend, Baekhyun.”

 

“Is all?” she asks, whilst the flowers being transferred in her arms.

 

“Yes.”

 

“What if I say that I’m not giving up on rejecting you?”

 

“Then I’d have to resort to unpleasant extents such as to arouse you to reality and maybe lecture you about love.”

 

This time, not only was he the one laughing. Along with him, she’s laughing as well.

 

“Ah, the lecture…” she says, sighing,” I’ve had enough of those from Kyungsoo, so I don’t think you have to bother.”

 

“Then, we’d go for the first option,” he suggestively implies, winking at her in the process.

 

She badly wants to punch him on the face hearing that. She wants to be the one to bring or arouse (as to his vocabulary) him to reality. There were about a few creases on her forehead at the moment, but knowing better…she chooses to suppress the anger she’s feeling inside and face him with a forced smile, because she obviously knows that he’s just joking.

 

“So, tell me… Are you still rejecting me today? I have a bouquet of flowers for you, so will you be my girlfriend?”

 

“Chanyeol,” she pokes his arm rudely. “That’s the most romantic confession I’ve ever heard. It’s beyond words, really,” she laughs, making hysterical the moment he thought he just successfully conducted.

 

“I’m serious here,” he cries.

 

“Well, I’m not,” she says with a straight face. “Chanyeol Park, you just screwed up the chance I was supposed to give you this very day with the bouquet of flowers you brought.”

 

“What, why!?”

 

“Wedelia Asperrimas.”

 

“Sorry, but I don’t study Floriography if you’re speaking of the flowers.”

 

“It means death, mister! Do you actually plan on leading me to my deathbed yet?”

 

“No, not quite. I don’t want a corpse for a soon-to-be girlfriend.”

 

“Then fix this.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay, fine,” she takes it back. “I’m saying yes just because you’re so persistent, and I simply don’t like your persistence. I’m persistent myself, but I hate myself when I am. Now that I’ve answered your long-time question, don’t go blaming me if I can never return your love for me. It takes time to no one, so—“

 

Before she knew it, a pair of lips landed on hers for a kiss, but it wasn’t just a simple kiss.

 

Her eyes, upon the move he made, widened. The moment she opened her eyes, she found his opened too, but then not to soon afterward did he close it again and took advantage of the moment as he stuck his tongue out toward her closed lips, begging for entrance.

 

And she did. She opened her sealed lips, completely giving in and losing control as she threw her right arm around his shoulders as her left mustered up the courage and played with his hair.

 

They kissed like crazy, their tongues touring each other’s cavern, but it wasn’t soon before long that she stopped, and he pouted, after noticing that his thoughts were going overboard…………………………………………………………………………………………..........................................................

 

Of course I’m kidding.

 

It was just his damn erted thoughts.

 

Because the minute Baekhyun turned him down for the umpteenth time and not so gently handed him back the wedelia—yellow daisies, Kyungsoo arrived right on scene and picked up the bouquet Chanyeol had in hand.

 

”Chanyeol Park, I don’t know what you’re trying to pull off, but what kind of girl would like these yellow daisies? Do you know that these flowers are toxic to sheep and that a perfect example would be Baekhyun?”

 

Upon the remark, Baekhyun rolls her eyes at her sister and crosses her arms.

 

“Oops,” Kyungsoo mutters, exiting the scene in fear of Baekhyun’s wrath.

 

Chanyeol could only look at things before him, alongside thinking about how he could make his thoughts come true. As Baekhyun sits down beside him again with her hands covering her face, he asks, “So what’s it gonna be?”

 

“Gonna be what?” she asks in pure irritation, Kyungsoo’s stupid antics still ringing at the back of her head.

 

“You and me.”

 

“That would have to be postponed to tomorrow.”

 

“But—”

 

“Sorry, Mr. Park, my sister just popped my nerves.” She stands. “The next time you come, please bring a more decent flower bouquet. Meeting adjourned.”

 

“Roses? Pink, red, white…yellow? Maybe white daisies? Dandelions? What should it be?” he asks, disappointment laced in his voice as he stands right after her.

 

“Whatever,” she whines. “It’s not like I’m the one courting here.”

 

“But I’m not a damn horticulturist, Ms. Byun,” he whines back, biting his inner cheeks as he controls his urge to kiss her.

 

”You should be, you have to,” she says simply. “Do research. It isn’t my damn prob—” and before she knew it, a pair of lips has made its way to her cheek.

 

“Oops,” Kyungsoo mutters as she enters the house with Jongin, upon finding out that they just disrupted a moment. Instead of saying sorry, she could only say, “Did I miss something?” getting Baekhyun more and more intimidated than ever.

 

“It’s not working, I know it! You’re embarrassing me!” Baekhyun glares at her evil step sister. “I’m sure Jongin and you are worst gro—“

 

Feeling as if a tint of pink just graced her cheeks, Kyungsoo immediately brisk walks to Baekhyun and puts both her hands over .

 

Baekhyun laughs in full force, reclaiming her authority in the house. Unknown to her are a pair of eyes looking intently at her, smiling to the very fact that he could clearly see how she laughs and smiles.

 

“I hate you,” Kyungsoo bites, stomping her foot and pulling Jongin with her to go upstairs.

 

”I thought you two are going on a date?” Baekhyun half asks-half yells, tapping at the staircase railings. She knows her voice is audible and good enough for Kyungsoo and Jongin to hear.

 

”I just freaking forgot something!”

 

“She’s really funny, isn’t she?”

 

Baekhyun, who was still laughing turns to look at Chanyeol, who is still amused by her cheerful side.

 

She waits for a response, but he doesn’t speak up.

 

She shakes him with force, but he could only near his face to hers as he looks at her lips.

 

”Oh, no! Not ag—” but what he did now is what she least expected because he only breathes onto her face with an initiative to merely scare.

 

But Baekhyun would be lying if she says she didn’t feel anything, because her heart leaped. It jumped! It skipped for…joy?

 

She felt giddy, but she won’t tell.

 

She only jerked.

 

“Oh, yeah,” he snaps her back to reality. “What was that that you were saying that was cut off by Kyungsoo?”

 

“That, uhm,” she stutters, “I was about to say…that I’m sure she s Jongin in places.”

 

Too straightforward, she purses her lips and gulps.

 

“Ohh,” he nods with a suspicious smile on his face. “I better leave now. Kris must be waiting for me. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Chanyeol…” she calls out in a whisper.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“I don’t want you hoping that I’d feel the way you do toward me, I just don’t want it when someone’s waiting…”

 

“It makes me feel like I’m so stupid for courting someone as adorable as you. Tomorrow then, see you!”

 

And they part ways.

 

She felt guilty and he felt ashamed of himself.

 

Well, who wouldn’t feel ashamed of himself when you know that that someone you like doesn’t like you back and giving you a close to no chance? But whatever, chances are once in a lifetime…you just have to take it when it shows itself.




 



“That guy with your sister, he kind of looks familiar,” Jongin remarks, settling inside the car, with Kyungsoo on the driver’s seat.

 

It’s always been this weird setup between Kyungsoo and Jongin, with Kyungsoo taking the wheel solely because she owns the car. And anyway, it’s not like it takes any manly pride away from Jongin other than the fact that Kyungsoo could really drive like a boss and compete in drag racing when they have spare time at night.

 

“Oh, it’s Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo provides. “You must have seen him before. He lives just across the street.”

 

“Ohh,” Jongin gasps. “Is he courting her? Your sister, I mean.”

 

“Uh, yeah, for a while now,” and upon Kyungsoo saying that, Jongin could only widen his eyes in horror, “Why are you curious anyway? You don’t have a crush on my older sister, do you?”

 

Jongin only raises a brow, offended Kyungsoo even thought of that, “Of course not! I’m just nervous is all.”

 

Kyungsoo stops at a red light just in time.

 

“What for?” Kyungsoo smiles and looks momentarily to her right, patting the top of Jongin’s head in the process before planting a kiss on his lips.

 

And while Kyungsoo’s at it and looking over the street for any sign of a green light, Jongin’s suspiciously fishing something out from his pocket.

 

“I know it’s probably not the right time to be popping this question, but Kyungsoo, will you marry me?”

 

Kyungsoo steps on the brake so unguarded even though they’re currently immobile, sending them in a flurry of a caught off guard violent shake of the car and the velvet box Jongin was previously holding to fall somewhere at his feet.

 

“This is certainly not the right time, Jongin!” Kyungsoo yells, much to Jongin’s shock.

 

It’s not the most romantic way to propose, but Kyungsoo will take it.
 

He thought for a while that she’d switch to her fury fits, but then, “But I’ll marry you.”

 

In effect, Kyungsoo unceremoniously throws herself at Jongin and kisses him senseless. Despite the green light and the annoying beeps of the cars behind them, they don’t stop kissing.

 

 

 

 

 

That night, Baekhyun’s sprawls out on her bed, ball pen and notepad in hand, trying to make out a list she shall formulate to get Chanyeol off her back. She’s saying yes to Chanyeol tomorrow, because she honestly wants to give him a chance. She doesn’t know why she’s so insistent to turn Chanyeol down with that thought still, but maybe it’s because of the creepy smile or maybe it’s because she knows Chanyeol knows Kris, so it makes him a secretive playboy like her cousin is. So now she’s coming up with three best ways to turn him off that she searched off the internet. In that way, when she does say yes, she’ll make things happen in their relationship to make him break it off.

 

“But it’s not like there isn’t a possibility that I’d learn to like him,” she mutters. “What if I end up liking him? What do I do then? Maybe I should just let it be?” she sighs.

 

She then looks at the clock that reads 9 in the evening and she only has about an hour before sleep visits her. She had noted at the back of her mind  to give Chanyeol a chance, although with a secret goal. But it’s not like she could ignore him for all her life, so she shall give him the green light to go with her to Joonmyun’s, if he’d like and if time permits, the next time he comes over.

 
Finally, she looks at her list—barely a list with scrawny slashes and five important points:

 

THINGS TO DO AROUND CHANYEOL


1. Give him chocolates. Isn't this too romantic? He might
think I like him.

 

2. If he asks you out on a date, wear baggy shirts and 
caps to face the opposite way that it should be. Normal
jeans should be fine.
In that way, I’d look just like his
younger brother.

 

3. Laugh boisterously whetherwhen or not he cracks a joke.

 

4. Eat like a pig.

 

5. Give him flowers.

 

6. Burp, fart, and make ugly faces. Or not, because I’m
still a woman with class.

 

7. Contradict all of his ideas.


So…’ Baekhyun thinks. 'From this list, what should I do?’ she grins mischievously. ‘I don’t think he wouldn’t ask me out on a date today, so let’s scratch that for now. Probably as I accept his confession tomorrow, maybe he’ll treat me out or something? But no, that still sounds like a date,’ she scratched her head. ‘Oh, I know! He’ll probably crack a lame joke, so it's perfect time to laugh boisterously.’

 

And so Baekhyun laugha her heart out like a lunatic and claps her hands in joy. She pounces on her bed and takes a hold of one of her pillows to hug telling herself loudly this time, “This is gonna be great!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ii

 

“Kris, she finally said yes!”

 

It wasn’t anything romantic when Baekhyun had said yes to him. In fact, it was rushed and came out a little forced and it came with an invitation to come with her to Joonmyun’s garden in one of the coming weekdays and that she’ll text him the details. But whatever, because Chanyeol’s taking this chance because finally Baekhyun Byun is giving him a chance after 4 months of courtship and all that jazz and waltz happening between them. It’s just a matter of showing his love for her now to keep her within arm’s reach.

 

Although, wait, there’s more! He couldn’t quite erase the image of her laughing boisterously when he had cracked a joke yesterday, too. Chanyeol knows it had to be the shallowest joke he’s ever thrown and Baekhyun’s reaction is beyond overwhelming with wide open laughing and everything that he wasn’t sure whether to laugh with her or think as though it’s forced just so she’d think it gauged a reaction on her when he said it. For some reason, though, he doesn’t tell it to Kris. He wants to keep it as a memory solely his own.

 

“Yes, well, judging by your text yesterday with smileys and puking rainbows.”

 

“I’m sorry I’m happy?”

 

“I just… man, treat her right, yeah?” Kris chimes, patting Chanyeol’s back in congratulatory gesture.

 

“Of course I will.”

 

“She’s not the most behaved I know and she’ll surely have something always working in that evil brain of hers, but put up with her, will you?”

 

Chanyeol nods.

 

“I know you deserve it and please, please just make her try. She’ll come around and when she gives chances, it works both ways. So make it work.”
 




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So Chanyeol goes with Baekhyun to Joonmyun’s garden on one of the weekdays after signing up for an uncalled for off day that he doesn’t even think he deserves.

 

The first thing Baekhyun asks him is, “Have you done your research on flowers?” as they’re driving to their destination. “I’d like to commend you on the yellow tulips, by the way.” And because yes, Chanyeol luckily bought her a bouquet of flowers again after the miserable daisies. He’s beyond relieved when she says that, because finally it worked!

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Do you know what they mean, though?”

 

“The florist I bought them from said it means hopeless love,” he says without much thought to it before mumbling something under his breath, “And maybe I am.”

 

It’s a good thing she doesn’t hear. “It could mean that, but the meaning has evolved to expressions of cheerful thoughts and sunshine. And I say you’ve got quite the positive attitude.”

 

So I’m not hopeless, huh?” he thinks, shifting neutral to drive in his ty manual sedan just as the green light appears.

 

They arrive in one piece at Joonmyun’s. And it’s as if Baekhyun heard his inner I’m so hopeless and I bet she’s just doing it out of pity thoughts, that now she’s hooking her arms with his as they walk through rows and rows of pathways with flowers on the side. But still he notices it’s not the clingy type; just a mere come on, walk with me gesture—more like casual friends than the boyfriend-girlfriend kind of thing. Maybe she’s throwing a pity party underneath her long and soft brown locks, but then he could never really tell. Women are the most confusing creatures, if anything. Women intuition and all their gut feel blah.

 

Still, Chanyeol couldn’t think of a better picture.

 

When Baekhyun said they were going to a garden, it appealed to him more like a sanctuary of flowers or a much better example would be Alice’s Wonderland, except this garden is full of mazes of flowers and no Queen of Hearts or Tweedledee and Tweedledum. And it’s more appropriate to call it Joonmyun’s Wonderland than anything else.

 

There are hanging flowers everywhere, ferns that look like cannabis that Baekhyun laughed at Chanyeol for for a moment when he asked. Chanyeol didn’t also miss the suppressed laugh Joonmyun wanted to let out, but then he’s with Baekhyun and he isn’t snapping just because of that.

 

Disregarding that, he still loves the way Baekhyun’s clinging to his arms and the way she’s so enthusiastic talking about flowers and their different types. Quite a few times she’d say, “Chanyeol, look, those are gardenias. They’re my favorite.” Is she implying something? — “I used to plant hibiscus with Joonmyun. You know it’s our national flower, right?” — “I asked Joonmyun to plant me calla lilies before and now here they are.”

 

Chanyeol would be lying if he said he wasn’t jealous that half the time, it’s always Joonmyun that’s coming out of Baekhyun’s mouth, but then again seeing the two doesn’t strike romantic feelings in his point of view, so he’s not really bothered all that much. Joonmyun looks like the type who doesn’t really court girls, to be honest. He’d rather court his weeds.

 

But then again, a horticulturist and a florist isn’t a bad idea and Chanyeol sighs in contempt and face palms just thinking of the imagery the thought brings.  

 

“Be honored,” Baekhyun talks to him when they’re already in gardening suits. Chanyeol notes how pretty Baekhyun looks with her hair tied up, not that she isn’t beautiful with her hair down. Joonmyun’s wonderland appears to be a cultivating workshop of sorts. Baekhyun’s teaching Chanyeol how to plant orchids now with Joonmyun’s careful instructions—Chanyeol doesn’t know how they ended up planting—and how to identify which is which. “You’re the first I’m taking here.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Well, I needed company.”

 

“You could’ve taken Kyungsoo?”

 

“She has a date with Jongin.”

 

“And you just had to take me because?”

 

“Because you’re my boyfriend now.”

 

Chanyeol makes a strangled sound. It sounds somewhere in between unpleasant and a hatred for the label. Honestly, Chanyeol’s not so sure if he likes the label either. Boyfriend sure is great, but trial boyfriend seems more like it at the moment.

 

“You know I’m actually trying, you know. With this setup and everything. Maybe I’ll learn to like you the way you like me. It would be better then, right? It’s only a matter of time.”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“Because apart from hating it when people are waiting, I hate the feeling that I sound like the villain—like an untamable wretch. I’m not a Katherine? You know, Shakespeare’s play?”

 

“If you say so,” Chanyeol chuckles.

 

The rest of the morning until afternoon is spent tilling the soil, cutting rotting roots, gloved hands innocently touching every now and then when they reach for the same scissors. They choose between net pots, clear plastic ones, and the classic wooden ones because the container helps keep the orchids snug, according to Baekhyun. Apart from that, some teasing also happens within the day and uncalled for flirting because that’s just how the world works.

 

Furthermore, Baekhyun makes it a point to disregard the list today because she knows better than to carry a mischievous aura around plants that may turn out sad if so and not will itself to grow. Also, she meant it when she said she’s trying because she really is, but still not burning the thought of the list away. She’ll be saving it for later dates instead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next time Chanyeol sees Baekhyun, he’s surprised she’s wearing a pair of baggy jeans and a shirt that was way too oversized for her petite body to their date. What more is a ridiculous black cap she’s wearing that’s turned the opposite way on her head. To complete the look, she has Chuck Taylor shoes on too. Chanyeol knows Baekhyun is not the girliest out there, but this is still at least a 90° change from her usual get up. Sure, she would sport suspenders at times and usually wear rubber shoes, but this is just borderline overdone and he knows something is up with her actions because it doesn’t really take a genius to know so. But he lets her do as she pleases, anyway, because it’s not in his business to intrude. And anyway, he finds it endearing that he’s discovering another side of hers once again.

 

“Do you know what’d look good on you?”

 

“What?”

 

“Me.”

 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA.”

 

They walk through people looking at them like they’re one mismatched couple. Right now, Baekhyun doesn’t look like a girlfriend at all of the Chanyeol standing next to her, so properly dressed and looking so man. Instead, she looks but a younger brother to him or so everyone’s probably thinking.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two weeks in and they’re holding hands, cuddling, and casually kissing. A peck and a smack every now and then because Baekhyun likes it and who is Chanyeol to deprive her of it? Women have their needs too. Baekhyun also happens to get cold for very little breeze and she likes warm hugs, much like the snowman Olaf they watched in one of their sappy movie nights. Of course Chanyeol likes providing her the warmth she oh-so needs as well when it’s necessary. He makes it a point not to take advantage of the situation, because up until now he doesn’t know if Baekhyun’s like this toward him out of pity.

 

“Hey, can I hold your hand?” Chanyeol musters the courage one time as they’re walking.

 

And as a response, Baekhyun shrugs and does it first, tightly clasping her smaller one with Chanyeol’s big and warm one.

 

“I don’t know what makes you think you have to ask for my permission, because I’m always hooking my arms with yours.”

 

“And can I…” Chanyeol trails off, “never mind.” He smirks before he breathes out loud in discontent.

 

“Kiss me too?” And Baekhyun is on her tiptoes, bringing an arm to wring around Chanyeol’s neck before she’s bringing both their lips together in a kiss. Chanyeol doesn’t have the time to process and kisses back, feeling lightheaded with the feel of Baekhyun’s lips on his.


Although Baekhyun never fails to make the weird things happen, because she also comes up to his house one time in those two weeks to bring him a pot of soil.


Baekhyun tells him they’re the orchids they planted two weeks ago, but there’s barely any living sign that a flower is in it nor is there a slight appearance of a petal, so he didn’t think so at first. She says it takes long to grow and that he should take care of it until it blooms—provide it proper sunlight in days so and so and water it in days so and so.


He takes note with a sticky note he sticks on his refrigerator.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A month and he’s discovering Baekhyun’s hatred of rain when it rains preposterously (according to Baekhyun) right on cue at one of their dates. Baekhyun seems to become pissed the minute the liquid poured, so she requests that they go to Les Fleurs because her flowers keep her happy even in the most blue of days. It’s the first time Chanyeol really steps in for a long time and meets and gets a chance to talk to Minseok and Luhan—two males he originally was suspicious of, until he finds out something later on.

 

“It’s the first time she’s bringing a boyfriend,” Luhan supplies out of the blue when Baekhyun steps out to the comfort room.

 

“Oh yeah?”

 

“If you know by now, her flowers keep her happy,” Minseok reasons out, giving Chanyeol a stem of gardenia. “And she didn’t bring her exes because they’re the very reason why she’s almost always upset, so she cools down here.”

 

Chanyeol looks at the stem of gardenia in his hand and sniffs its fragrance briefly. “This is her favorite.”

 

“Oh, you know a lot.” Luhan winks.

 

“I’m assuming the rain ticked her off, then?” Minseok asks.

 

“Yeah, something about how it ruins her mood and her overall day when it does.”

 

“Yeah, that,” Luhan laughs.

 

“How long have you two known her?” Chanyeol asks curiously.

 

But it comes out with a hint of jealousy, Minseok notes, so he says, “Quite a long time now. We go a long way back in high school.”

 

“That long?”

 

“Yeah, how about you then?”

 

“5 months and a half now, I guess.”

 

“We know.”

 

“Then why are you asking?”

 

“You’re that suitor who just won’t give up.”

 

“And now that you’ve got her, why are you so worried?”

 

“Of who?”

 

“Of us.”

 

“It’s written all over your face. You’re asking if we like Baekhyun like that.”

 

“We don’t.”

 

“Luhan’s more of my style.”

 

“Oh,” Chanyeol gasps, breathing a sigh of relief he didn’t realize he’s been holding. It’s a little embarrassing to be scrutinized and analyzed for something he’s not obviously showing through his actions.

 

But maybe Luhan and Minseok are just that observant.

 

So Chanyeol concludes that both males are really just Baekhyun’s best friends and when Baekhyun steps out minutes after, they all just laugh all together when she asks, “Who’s watering the plants?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A little over a few months and Baekhyun’s forgotten the list she keeps at the back of her phone, jelly case keeping it intact. She’s even forgotten why she made it in the first place. She’s discarded the thought of it even if she hasn’t eaten like a pig in front of Chanyeol or contradicted his every idea.


Chanyeol’s not like her playboy cousin Kris. In fact, Chanyeol’s really been good to her and gives her these kisses that makes her want to melt. By now, she likes the way he holds her close and says her name with the roll of his tongue. She thinks Chanyeol could be a constant in her life. He’s seeping in through every gap in her life so perfectly and never has he disappointed her. There are even times she’d miss him when he’s away at work and Kyungsoo would about it, muttering Yeol over and over and watching out for her cell phone if it lights up.

 

There’s just one thing she couldn’t admit; that she loves him, because she still thinks she doesn’t. Maybe she likes him, but their feelings still aren’t mutual. She likes him and really likes him a lot, but loving is another matter because she thinks it’s just not her style.

 

So when it rains one night after their date, Baekhyun braves the rain with Chanyeol in front of his house. It’s a subtle declaration of her new found like for him and she welcomes it by doing something she swears she never will.

 

He doesn’t stop her even though it’s weird that she hates the rain yet she’s drenching herself in it.

 

Baekhyun might even re-evaluate her hate level for the rain when Chanyeol finally kisses her as it pours harder.

 

They slip in his home a few minutes later, clothes drenched in rainwater and so dripping right on his floor.

 

Chanyeol’s sure Baekhyun’s come down with a fever so fast when she starts kissing him—he doesn’t even think she’s in the right mind either—he knows because he feels up her forehead and she’s burning. He prompts thinks about why she didn't rush home when her house is just right across from him but...

 

“Chanyeol… Chanyeol…,” she says breathily, hands clawing at the hem of his shirt, seeking warmth when her hands find purchase under his shirt and fall flat on his chest… anything to make her feel less cool and ice cold from the water seeping in through her shirt.

 

They don’t even bother to turn on the lights when they stumble in his room and briefly stop kissing, with Baekhyun asking Chanyeol to get her a towel because she really is cold and that she needs to take a few articles of his clothing to replace the ones she’s wearing she shall discard. So much for the uncalled for touches.

 

When he hands her the pieces of clothing in exchange for her phone to charge, he’s bringing her over to his bathroom to change with thoughts flying in and out of his mind so fast that he’s not even able to process them properly.

 

He’s thinking of rather inappropriate thoughts invovling Baekhyun and her flawless and supple skin almost fully exposed under her wet clothes. But he's momentarily distracted when he sees something suspicious at the back of her phone with the help of the nightstand. He’s plugged the charger in, but then he finds himself removing the jelly case momentarily as he unfolds the paper and then it hits him.

 

All the things Baekhyun’s been doing must have been for a reason

 

And they are.

 

He takes a deep breath, because no. How could she? After all these months…

 

So he puts the paper back in the way it was before he got it, plugs the charger to the phone, feeling so broken.

 

A lot of things are running in his mind again, but this time they aren’t inappropriate. He’s mad and he’s never felt so betrayed, but he’s not mad at her. He’s mad at himself for believing he stood a chance when the realization hit him just now that he doesn’t. What hurts the most is he’s done everything for her, loved her sincerely.

 

He sits there for minutes and he thinks how and maybe nots, trying to think rationally of the situation—that it must’ve been a joke.

 

But it’s not.

 

And then…

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

When Chanyeol turns around, he’s met by the sight of Baekhyun smiling so sweetly at him in his too big clothes on her. His shirt barely fits her, because it briefly falls of her shoulder before she's bringing it back up.

 

“Pretentious little…” he mutters under his breath, but then he doesn’t continue it. His heart has taken over his mind again by the way Baekhyun’s looking at him teasingly.

 

One thing leads to another when he takes careful steps toward her.

 

Maybe it’s the fear building at the pit of his stomach—that he’s taking advantage of someone who doesn’t even love him back or the over stimulation from her kisses pulsing through his veins and the thought of her… the thought of her… so well-endowed in places and having the right curves and in his room.

 

He decides he’ll play with temptation this one last time.

 

She doesn’t even stop his advances as she does her own ministrations on the matter at hand. She doesn’t even look as surprised as he comes nearer and her back hits the wall and she’s greeted by a searing kiss she eagerly responds to. They’ve kissed a lot of times and she shouldn’t think this is any different as her hands are everywhere tangling in his locks and mussing it up before she's bringing one down to tug his shirt off. She reasons it out as though she needs warmth anyway, so it’s okay when she feels his chest and her palm barely settles on just one spot. It’s not that she loves him already, but she does like him. She likes him enough to allow him this, whatever this is that makes his clothes on her come off one by one and transports them to his bed that she thinks she’s never been this loved before. He’s taking everything in her pace even if he’s mad, because he couldn’t find it in himself to hate Baekhyun even after all that he’s known. Baekhyun's still so beautiful, beautiful squirming underneath him and endlessly whispering his name that night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On a restaurant as their last date as a couple, she laughs out loud because he just cracked a shallow joke. It’s unintentional, because it’s sincere when she really laughs now, even as all people turn their gazes to the loudest table with confusion written all over their faces.


But something in him just snaps, because she’s still doing them—the things on the list. He told himself that maybe she’ll eventually stop, but some of the things she wrote on the list is still apparent.


Today she’s doing the contradicting ideas thing apart from the boisterous laughter, saying how dogs are so much better than cats right after Chanyeol said he likes the latter. Now she’s pointing out that for a girl to be considered beautiful, she needs to prep and pamper herself with tons of face vitamins and minerals, but he tells her that he’s better off with someone who shows her natural beauty to others and that that’s exactly how he sees her as. He says all this with disregard to the playful tone she said all those in.


So finally he starts his long speech, “I like a woman who wears comfortable baggy clothes just because. The important thing is that that she's mine and nothing could change that. I also like a girl who laughs her heart out just because she heard a joke or two even if it might be shallow. I like a girl who contradicts my ideas, because it opens me up to new points of views and choices.”


And finally, “And I like it when she formulates some plan in turning me off that it made me even more persistent in making her fall head over heels for me, but then I can only take so much. I have had enough.”


“You knew?” Baekhyun looks shocked when she asks, a mix of worry and panic written on her face.


“I did. I knew the moment you wore baggy clothes that you were doing something to tick me off and then later on I confirmed it with a list I saw at the back of your phone.”

 

“I—Why didYou weren't supposed to

 

"So if I didn't see it, you would've played with me some more?"

 

"No, I"

 

“And to be honest, I don’t want forcing people to love me when they clearly don’t. Baek, I know better now. Kris once told me that there are many fish in the sea and that I would find one easily because I have good physique but then I chose you. I’m not saying that I chose you as a last option, because I didn’t and the relationship we had for a few months or so didn’t even help me for even just a little bit make me hate you, even if you had tried all those antics at me, or unlike the things you do for that matter. Instead, I still feel so ashamed of myself. If you really couldn’t love me, I’m letting you go.”


“Yeol…” she calls out softly, but then he’s out of his seat as she remains still on hers.

 

The nickname stung. She only ever calls him that when she’s irritated, but maybe she is. It’s either because she’s irritated he’s found about her list or because she’s being wronged—that she actually cares for him and has long disregarded the list. Chanyeol thinks it’s the former, though.

 

“It’s okay,” he says, as calmly as he could even when his anger's still seeping. He’s not about to break, no.


“But I—“


“No buts,” he cut in. “I’m giving you my blessing in finding the real one.”


And even if it hurt him a lot, he walked out of the scene. He didn’t cry—he can’t. He couldn’t turn his back, because he knew that she really didn’t want him. Maybe she did, but maybe she just really likes him as a friend and that one night they had together was just a consolation prize. Maybe having the relationship wasn’t fruitless at all, for at least he gained a friend from her. But is that enough for him?

 

No, but then he’ll definitely learn to move on.

 



 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

For a week, instead of Chanyeol crying, Baekhyun is. It makes sense, though. He was the one who turned his back on her, after all. She doesn’t know why she’s hurt when this is all she’s wanted from the start.

 

The fact that he walked out on her didn’t help, either. Right after giving her his blessing of finding the real one, that is.

 

Kyungsoo could only watch her sister get all emotional about the change.

 

Change, because Chanyeol habitually came by to their little humble abode just to check up on her older sister, but that was before.

 

These past few days, Baekhyun would only ever get a glimpse of him as she looked through the glass window across the neighborhood. She’s finished up a box of tissue just with sneezing, the other half of another tissue box for wiping her tears.

 

In her ears, she could faintly hear the sound of her cell phone still registering at the back of her mind when someone texts her, but she knows it’s false alarm by now—that she’s just imagining things and her mind's making just a fragment of an illusion. It was only her ear that waited for the sound habitually, but today and onward…it would never sound like that again and her ears would get used to it and shut the alarm off eventually.

 

“That’s love,” Kyungsoo mutters.

 

But Baekhyun still hears it, because if not, then she wouldn’t be turning her back to look at the figure of her sister right at her door.

 

“Huh?” Baekhyun asks absentmindedly.

 

“You like him,” Kyungsoo says, as a matter of fact, “No, actually, make that love.”

 

“Chanyeol?” the other asks innocently.

 

“Am I not stating the obvious or are you just in plain in denial?”

 

“I don’t want to think about him anymore.”

 

“Oh, but you are.”

 

“No, I’m not! We were so over last week. He was the one who let me go, so I should even be happy because I wanted that ever since the beginning. It’s his loss.”

 

“But he never had you to begin with or at least you never showed it.”


Kyungsoo has a point.


Baekhyun could only grit her teeth, her facial expression changing in the process. Her cheeks are starting to turn flush red again, eyes beginning to water as another cycle of tears poured out from her eyes and onto her cheeks meeting right under her chin.

 

She jumps out of her bed and rushes to the window, gaining a view of his house across the neighborhood.
 

“And to think you aren’t thinking of him. The more you deny it, the more it shows.”
 

“Fine! I guess you’re right that I have fallen for him, but is it my fault? It’s my ing sissy and emotional side.”


Kyungsoo could only laugh.

 

“Now you’re laughing,” she says it in frustration, turning her back with her hands on her hips as she glares at Kyungsoo.

 

“Because you’re being funny,” the younger chuckles, “If you do love him, you should have told him.”
 

“I’m not making the first move!” the older exclaims, stubborn side surfacing yet again.

 

“Then it isn’t my freaking problem anymore,” she sighs, smirking, “I was just trying to help and you’re telling me now that you couldn’t do one simple thing? He's made his move and you never reciprocated! Where’s the Baekhyun that I know? The Baekhyun that I know is brave and unpretentious, beautiful inside and out, even though at most times she could be stubborn and immature. She’s pretty straightforward, loud, and rare to find. She’s my sister and I miss her. I need her in my wedding to make everyone corsages and boutonnieres and just…litter flowers all over?”

 

“Wait, what. What wedding?!”

 

“Jongin proposed to me. It’s been a while, actually. We’re getting married.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? When, Soo? Why?”

 

“I just thought you were on your way to making yours happen. He talked to mom and dad and we agreed for it to happen two months from now. And why? Isn’t it obvious, Baekkie? We love each other. Don’t you think so, too?”

 

“Kyungsoo…” Baekhyun throws herself at Kyungsoo for a hug—relishing, seeking comfort in one of the last moments they could cherish together in their shared pad. She’s in that state where she’s laughing and crying—a little kind of delirious. She’s half happy her sister’s getting married after 4 years being in a relationship with Jongin, but then a part of her’s dying because then she may have let go of that one and only person that made her feel like a princess when she isn’t—that one and only man she thinks would take all of her to the altar.

 

And when Baekhyun starts bawling, she never stops.

 

Except she interrupts their moment and says, “I really feel like puking, Kyungsoo. Sorry I’m ruining the moment.” She abruptly withdraws from their hug and rushes to the bathroom.

 

“Hey Baekkie, are you okay?” Kyungsoo follows suit, tapping at Baekhyun’s back as she empties the contents of her stomach from possibly yesterday's menu.

 

“I’m fine,” she says, whilst gripping the toilet bowl because the feeling in her stomach just won’t stop. “Or…”

 

or not.

 

 

 

 

 



 


 

 

“Baekkie, you now have a reason to get back with him,” Kyungsoo says to Baekhyun as they both eye two parallel lines together.

 

“But I don’t want it to be just because of that.”

 

“But if he doesn’t get back with you, threat him that you’re aborting.”

 

“Shut up, Kyungsoo, the thing can hear you.”

 

“How offending, you’re calling it a thing.”

 

“Because I still don’t know what it is.”

 

“Definitely not an object.”

 

“Hey Soo, what if the reason why he really broke up with me was because he thinks I’m ugly?”

 

“Now that’s just insecurity. You’ve got all the right curves in the right places, I bet he was on fire when he was doing you.”

 

“Um.”

 

“I’m kind of upset you’re having a baby before me, though. I’m the one getting married after all.”

 

“Get over it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun utters as she comes up to his front door after weeks of no contact. She looks up at him, not knowing what to say any more than she’s let out.

 

That one thing that he didn’t want her doing is now happening. He didn’t want her talking to him, because he figured out a little later that it would mean thinking of her and all the little things they’ve done together for the past few months.


He didn’t know what to say, really. Yet after looking at her, he felt like asking her if he wants to get back together. But she doesn’t want him. At least, that’s what he knows.

 

“I’m sorry,” she sincerely apologizes, every so often shaking at the thought of him walking out on her again like that time he let her go with finality in his words. She was afraid to tell him she loves him, because then he might take it as a joke. He was afraid to tell him things he might not be willing to take responsibility for.

 

“You don’t need to say sorry. I broke up with you because I love you and I was willing to let you go.” His smile is sad, tugging at her heart strings because she knows it’s her fault. “Have you found him yet?”

 

“That’s the exact reason why I’m here for.” Apart from that though, she wanted to say how much she got attached to him in the process of their complicated relationship, but she isn’t going to admit it, “Would you do me one last favor?”


And even if he thinks she’s doing this on purpose to spite him, he still asks, “What is it?” because he still cares even if he shouldn’t.

 

“Would you woo me again?”

 

The question is uncalled for that he jerks in position. He inhales heavily because it’s too much… because he’s done it and she turned him down and what is this? Is this a joke to make fun of him further?

 

“I don’t know, Baekhyun. Would it be worth it?”

 

But then she doesn’t say anything after that.

 

She walks away just like he did and he thinks it’s revenge rather than longing.

 

 

 

 




 

 

 

 

A week after that, Baekhyun doesn’t result to crying anymore. She thought maybe he'd come and take her back, but she was wrong.

He didnt. She didn't even see a silhouette of his. She looks at the ticking clock every now and then, sighing every so often as she lay in a fetal position on the couch with a pillow over her head. Having nothing better to do, she goes upstairs to grab a pair of short shorts with suspenders and changes to a tank top topped with a big silver 'B' necklace. 

She results to channeling her inner horticulturist, because Kyungsoo actually needs her for her upcoming wedding happening in a few weeks now. So she settles for wisterias hanging over the reception and lilacs for corsages and boutonnieres. She wouldn’t miss the gardenias, of course, because she’s planned where to put them and on the tables they would go. Also, she wouldn’t forget and tell the wedding planner of this, to make the theme purple and calm just like Kyungsoo’s favorite color. She also helps in distributing the wedding invitations except for his, because she could still remember how it stung the last time they talked.


But she knows she was at fault at the time, because it’s definitely the worst way to go at claiming a relationship back.

 


 

 

 

 

 






 

Finally, it's Kyungsoo's wedding day. Her wedding day.

 

As Baekhyun stands outside the little chapel where the wedding ceremony is going to take place, he feels a sense of not belonging—even if she’s handing corsages and boutonnieres to everyone, pinning them instead of other’s clammy hands and ushering people to where they should be in line—maybe because she feels something missing. The corsage consists of a sprig of lilacs; its heady scent bringing a scent of springtime and somehow it reminds Baekhyun of Chanyeol. For whatever reason, she doesn’t know. But maybe it’s because Chanyeol made her feel the real and first emotions she’s held of love.

 

She glances back at where Kyungsoo is, in the car, probably with her mom and having traditional breathings of calming nerves and soothing senses. It’s been such a long time with Kyungsoo in Baekhyun’s life that she thinks she just might break in the first few weeks or even months with Kyungsoo officially out of their pad. Until then, it would be Baekhyun spending lonely nights wanting company. She considers sitting with cups of chamomile, but she’ll still be thinking of Kyungsoo then, thinking of her in every little corner of the house. Because even if Kyungsoo’s just her half-sister by law, her appearance in Baekhyun’s life made a very strong impact. Kyungsoo’s mother made a wonderful figure as a mother to her and proved a significant person in her life, too. It proved that life could be wonderful as it was before her biological mother died.

 

Now they might not be blood-related, but still Kyungsoo had moments with her—moments she would remember and cherish at times that she’s missing a snarky and bratty figure of a sister. She stood as her best friend and someone who she shared her deepest woes too and Chanyeol is one of those.

 

But speaking of Chanyeol, is he coming? Kyungsoo gave him an invitation, too.

 

And now here they all are, setting up the queue and the line-up of people to walk through the aisle. 15 minutes and everything is starting and they’re just waiting for Jongin.






 

When Jongin finally arrives, he’s running over to where Baekhyun’s waiting outside of the church. He’s saying sorry whilst catching his breath, hands on his knees and everything. It’s apparent he's nervous and having the wedding day jitters, but everyone couldn’t be more relieved with the arrival of the groom.

 

“Where’s the ring, Jongin?” Baekhyun asks him. “The ring bearer needs it.”

 

“It’s here,” he says, but then he doesn’t feel anything from his pockets. “I swear I put it here!”

 

“It’s here, son.”

 

“I wouldn’t know what to do without you, mom.”

 

Jongin’s such a momma’s boy,” is the last thing that registers in Baekhyun’s mind when they’re all being lead inside of the church for the start of the ceremony. It makes him feel that Jongin is really the one for Kyungsoo. Because if he is so obedient to his mother, what more to the soon-to-be wife?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Chanyeol first held the wedding invitation given to him by Kyungsoo, he had a heart attack. The wedding invitation clearly read Byun & Kim in pretty cursive font at the back. He’d first thought it was Baekhyun Byun and Joonmyun Kim, only to later on find out it’s Kyungsoo Byun and Jongin Kim instead, after having opened the invitation itself. He curses at himself lightly, because he could’ve considered the fact that Kim’s a common surname in South Korea and it is in fact.

 

Now he’s at the wedding reception, in a handsome tux. He sees Kris with a date he identifies as Zitao. He knows he hasn’t told Kris the recent happenings and maybe he shall, because it’s dragged on for so long. But then again, Kris might already know because he’s cousins with the Byun’s after all. He’s also seen Baekhyun in a few instances, always rushing around here and there and he thinks she’s stopped caring about him at all. Because why would she then obviously ignore him when they’re just walking around in circles in this whole reception?

 

Until he sees Luhan and Minseok and they frown at him, thinking twice if they should approach but Chanyeol does because he’s courteous like that.

 

“Hi Chanyeol.” Minseok sounds sad.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Baekhyun’s looking for you.”

 

“I’ve seen her everywhere but beside me.”

 

“She told us everything and I know it was kind of rude of her to have done what she did, but she regrets doing it.”

 

“She’s already apologized.”

 

“But she has something else to tell you.”

 

“Then maybe she should tell me herself.”

 

“But she’s—”

 

“He’s right, Lulu. Baekhyun should tell him.”

           

 

 

 

 

As the reception went on, Chanyeol finally bumps into Baekhyun in a cliché way wherein Baekhyun’s about to fall off, but then Chanyeol’s holding onto her wrist to pull her right back.

 

“Chanyeol, gosh!” she exclaims. “You surprised me.”

 

“Luhan says you’ve got something to tell me,” he cuts to the point when he says it and shock briefly registers on Baekhyun’s face.

 

“Oh, that,” Baekhyun gasps. “There are quite a few things actually. It won’t take long.”

 

“So before you, I had all these dates with men I barely even knew given the time I was with them. Maybe I did that because I was desperate to ease my loneliness, so I went on dates, each and every one of them not exceeding a week because I didn’t know what I want,” she starts. “There were snobbish ones I’ve been with who seemed as if they only courted me because a lot of guys were and it didn’t mean I was their type. There were ones who were way beyond cheesy. Even cheesier than a typical Romeo who would die for his Juliet that they were like pests bugging you every time you turn your head and look left and right. I thought you were like that. You literally wouldn’t stop coming to doorbell for a week and each time you had a different tactic up your sleeve. It was sweet for the most part, but I thought they were annoying. But anyway… They’d text me like they wouldn’t be seeing me ever again tomorrow, but I liked it when you texted me some thrice a day asking if my morning’s good, if I went home safe, and the little evening greetings before I go to bed. And okay, there were the ones who were the typical kind of boyfriend. They would check out on you and hang out with you every other day, but seeing so that I didn’t quite have any differences with them felt like the relationship was boring, so I had to end it. But even if they had different personalities, one thing’s true…” she sounded sad, more like depressed as the realization hit upon her.

 

“Which is?” he asks, sensing that her words weren’t much complete in thought.

 

“Most of them had no time for me,” she sighs. “If they were boring, no contradicting ideas built up so we just had to endlessly talk about the similarities we have. But you see…in a relationship, I want someone to argue with me and teach me about a new perspective that I could learn. I want someone who makes me laugh sincerely and who would accept my flowers like I’m courting him too just as he’s courting me. I want him to be known to my friends like I know him and not push me away when I act all weird and in jumpsuits or whatever I may come up with outfit. I know what I want now.”

 

“Then… what am I?”


In a minute, she stopped real dead on her position. She didn’t know how to answer him. She had to admit he was different. He had quality time with her, he’d give her a little something every other week. He checks up on her every now and then and most of all, he was one to argue and enlighten her with things she was most biased about. He also made her laugh. Although, the first few months he courted her came off a bit creepy with the I really like you thing that she couldn’t figure how fast he justified his like for her with the matching wide and creepy smile. But maybe that’s what makes him different.

 

Well, all those were positive to say the least, apart from the empty feeling she had every time after he’d put an end to their relationship.

 

“The real one for me,” she bluntly answers, putting a smile on his previously blank slate face.

 

“But why now, Baekhyun? You had me and then you did these things I was so furious about. I thought you didn’t like me?”

 

“I liked you,” she says, “It’s just that I liked you more than I thought I just should!”

 

“How do I know this is not some damned joke again?”

 

“Because it just isn’t, because I went into the rain that one time with you and let you touch me in places no one has, because I cried for a week when you told me you’re giving your blessings to me to find another and I didn’t want it. Because I know I’m happy with you and I don’t need any other real love other than yours, and…” Baekhyun pauses, randomly sticking her hand to one of the tables and handing a stem of gardenia to Chanyeol. “And because gardenias mean You’re lovely and that you’re my secret love, but it’s not much of a secret anymore. I guess I’ve liked you since and maybe I was just in denial because I didn’t know if I wanted to go into a relationship again after so long.”

 

“You really mean it?”

 

“Now, why would I lie to you?”

 

“Because you’ve got the evil streak.”

 

“Whatever,” and Baekhyun walks over to Chanyeol with little to no space in between them, tiptoes, and briefly presses her lips to Chanyeol’s, leaping into his accepting arms right after.

 

And that was that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

+

The crowd in the reception is roaring, clashing their wine glasses with forks as they request for the newlyweds to kiss. Kyungsoo is sporting a pristine blush because even if she’s kissed with Jongin a thousand times and over, it still feels a little different kissing him in front of this crowd. But then again, it would mean that she’s showing his love for him with all these people being witness.

 

But Kyungsoo’s conflicted as she looks at Jongin and at Baekhyun and the seemingly worried face Baekhyun is wearing seated with Chanyeol at the nearest table from the newlyweds. She knows full well why so. So she texts Baekhyun, prolongs the agony of the crowd, and a pouting Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo: Just tell him.

Baekhyun: Hey, how’d you know?

Kyungsoo: Just tell him about the human being
living inside of you and how you can’t raise
it without him and that you love him so much.
Remember? The threat to abort? And hello, it’s
written all over your face.

Baekhyun: Okay, okay, I've got this. Just kiss
Jongin first. The crowd is waiting, Mrs. Kim.

 

“Also, Chanyeol, I’m pregnant.”

 

“…”

 

“I think it’s yours.”

 

“You think?” he asks incredulously, scratching his head, but he seems calm enough hearing the news.

 

“When it was raining and I was sick, I didn’t go home. I went to yours and… you know…things happened.” It actually scares Baekhyun momentarily of Chanyeol's lack of response and his blank slate face. Doesn't he want the baby? Does he regret it now? Will they break up even before anything's started? "Ch-Chanyeol, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get pregnant. It's not my fault I saw positive when I used the test kit. I justbut if it makes you feel better, I'm sure it's yours and ohmygosh, are you breaking up with me?" Baekhyun finally couldn't take it as her eyes start to water.

 

“Why are you saying sorry?” Chanyeol panics.

 

"Don't you want the baby?"

 

"I do, Baek."

 

"Then why aren't you reacting?!" Baekhyun's brows furrow.

 

“I just... I'm happy.” Chanyeol looks smug.

 

“Gosh Yeol, after scaring me with a lack of response!" Baekhyun exclaims.

 

"I'm just thinking of a possible name is all.”

 

“We’re not yet married, though.”

 

“And you’re carrying my baby.” He kisses her briefly.

 

“It’s all your fault!!”

 

“So is it a mistake now?”

 

“No, but…”

 

“I love you, Baekhyun.”

 

“I think I you too.”

 

“What was that?”

 

“I you too.”

 

“What?”

 

“I love you, happy?”

 

“Very.”

 

“I love you so much, Chanyeol Park.”

 

“I know.”

 

And just as the crowd finally applauds and cheers with the way the newlyweds are kissing, Chanyeol presses his lips again and again softly on Baekhyun’s too with wishes of I’ll take care of you…of the both of you and never-ending I love yous.

 

“So that’s why you look healthier and more emotional,” Chanyeol remarks, before putting an arm around Baekhyun’s stomach and securing his hold on them in assurance that he’ll always be right there.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“I’m kidding.” But maybe not.

 

Not at all.

 

Chanyeol speaks half the truth, after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

also, follow might you want: @mntgrn_