III

Heat Haze Days

*Author’s Note: This story may contains many grammar errors. English is not my first language.

 

 

(Still) 15th August 20XX,

 

''Yup, I'm 100% determined that it will be a long, long day,''

The both of them thought at the same time, giving each other a 'good luck' smile and strive their way towards the blazing heat haze.

 

 

______   ______   ______

 

- HEAT HAZE DAYS III –

 

 

Oh Sehun’s POV

Bad luck! Bad luck! We wasted our money on the bus fees just to be confronted by a closed down shopping mall. It’s pretty rare for a shopping mall to be closed down at this hour. At least that’s how I think.

Some of the people around told us that there were hostages happening in the mall. Terrorist, I see. Interesting. It does explained the police’s presence around the shopping mall. But somehow, their existence didn’t really help out. The police had done nothing but slacking off their jobs. I can hear them mumbling something like 'It’s no use, we’re out of coffee,' or 'screw those hostages, let’s go eat donuts and '.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Police these days.

''Hey, let’s get out of here, It’s dangerous,'' Chen said, slightly worried about our safety. He is the oldest person among us all. So I think it is reasonable for him to be the one to take care of us.

''Aww, but we still have time before Chen’s curfew. Plus, we already paid the bus fees.'' Soojung whined. Her hair that was neatly tied in a bun before had been sticking out all over. It must be the cause of our ‘summer adventures’ thingy.

I sighed. ''First, the delayed amusement park, then, the pet shop, and now, the closed down shopping mall. Can we just go home after this? I’m all worn out after running around too much.'' I suggested them and prayed to god and the whole universe for them to agree to my suggestion.

Sweats started to roll down my face like the Niagara Falls. The situation is getting more intense as I waited for their answer. My heart is beating so loud as if it's going to burst in a few seconds. My legs were shaking and it had gone out of control. The tension rise up as Chen started to form a word out of his mouth. This is it.

''Nah, let’s go somewhere else,'' Chen said.

Apparently, the universe hates me.

''Oh, come on Sehun, we already struggled our way here and we can’t just throw the effort down the drain, we must at least go somewhere that can replace the shopping mall,'' Chen’s eyes sparkles as he finished his speech. His gaze landed at me and Soojung as he waited for us to give a suggestive place to go next.

''Oh, oh, let’s go to that shop over there,'' Soojung said as she pointed the direction of the shop she was mentioning. It was a 5$ store. Seriously Soojung, seriously? There were many other places that we can go but why that.

''Hurry up, Sehun!'' a voice was heard by a few meters away. It was clearly belonged to Soojung. I cried in silent as I stayed at the same spot I was standing.

Why did this have to happen? What have I done wrong to deserve such despair in my life?

It took me a few minutes to change back to normal and followed them to the store.

_ _ _

We were at the store and it’s nearly 10 in the morning. Even though it was still early, the outside is literally blazing. No joke, it was hotter than the usual summer morning. The other two didn’t really seems to be bother of the heat. Probably because they already used to being outside, facing the sun.

While we were searching for something to buy at the shop, something hit me. I remembered that Soojung’s birthday is next week. This might be the best opportunity to buy her a gift. I hope she didn’t mind that her gift was bought at the 5$ store.

I secretly tried to find something that looks extremely expensive but cheap. But sadly, no achievement had done. All the things that was sale at the store was junk. Nothing catch my eyes so far.

As soon as I step at the other side of the store, I noticed a small square line attached to the wall. I tried to ignore it but, curiosity killed the cat. I scanned my surrounding to see if there were anybody around.

No one. Then, I slowly, gently landed my hand on the square line to see if anything happen.

Nothing.

Because of my disappointment, I harshly pushed the square line. To tell the truth, it’s not a square line, IT’S A GODDAMN BUTTON!

*PSSHH!*

Suddenly, the wall opened, showing another room inside of it. I started to panic at the unexpected scene. Inside of the room is not just an empty room, it was a shop inside of a shop. It was storeception. They were selling things in there, expensive looking thing. Bingo. I will definitely buy Soojung’s gift in here.

''Damn son, you lookin’ good out there, ayy?'' I was startled when an old, husky voice interrupted my thought.

I looked up to see an old man with a long beard, bloodshot eyes and a rolled weed inbetween his crusty fingers. Did he smokes weed at this hour? Plus, he really need to shave, his armpit looks like a newborn tropical jungle. Eurgh. Disgusting. I shivered at my thought.

''Son, if you don’t want to buy anything here, please exit this room right away. Old man like me needs his weed privacy.'' He told me while he took a sip from the weed bundle (is that what people calls them?)

''Umm, no. I do want to buy something,'' I explained as something shiny catch my eyes. It was a necklace with a pink pendant. I immediately approached it and placed it on top of the counter.

''I would like to buy this, sir,'' I confidently reached for my 5 dollar in my wallet before the old man recite the price.

''Okay, that would be 420,000 dollar,''

The room was filled with silent. My hands that was confidently reaching for the 5$ stopped its movement.

F-fo-forty two thousands dollar. I thought this was supposed to be a store that sells 5$ things. Plus, why is the number ‘420’ was there? Is this some sort of weed joke? Hahah very funny,

I pulled out all of my money in my wallet and swallowed my pride. ''Is 50 dollars enough?''

''Hmm, I can accept the 50 dollar if you can fetch me some weed, I’m running out of them,'' the old man made a deal with me.

''Please, I need this thing, if I didn’t buy it now, then I can’t give her anything for her birthday~'' I shamelessly begged at the old man so he can accept my money.

''Gyargh, okay,okay. If that would shut you up, I’ll take it,'' the old man took the money and handed me the necklace. It was placed inside a cute pink box with a small white bow on top of it.

''Thank you,'' I thanked the old man for his generosity. ''Yeah, yeah, whatever,'' the old man snorted and continued to smoke his weed.

_ _ _

''Sehun, where did you go? We searched for you everywhere!'' Soojung said while she placed her hands on her hips. Chen on the other side struggled towards our direction after he heard Soojung’s statement. ''Thanks god, you found him'' Chen said as he breaths heavily and stared at me. I hid the pink box behind me.

''Yeah, let’s get out of here, this part of the store is creepy. Plus, it smells weird.'' Soojung said as she pinched her nosed with a disgusted face.

While Soojung left the place to find a clean air to breath, Chen asked ''Hey, mind telling me what you were doing here?'' I took a few steps backward. ''Nothing,'' I gulped my saliva and tried to act normal.

''Oh, look! A giant butterfly!'' Chen shouted enthusiastically while pointing to a certain direction. Being a fool myself, I turned around toward the direction and Chen quickly snatched the pink box away from my grasp.

.

''Woah, how many did you spend on this necklace?'' he asked, quite amused on the necklace.

''420, 000 dollar,'' I recited. You know…….like a liar.

''Since this thing is expensive, I shall hold it for you,'' Chen said as he put the pink necklace box inside his pocket. I give him a 'but why' face.

''Because I’m older than you and I’m a responsible man.'' He answered my question without me asking it.

_ _ _

After that, we took a stroll down the street and things were going well so far (exclude the part when we have to run away from Chen’s fangirls). We also grabbed some coffee along the way like when Chen suggested us to (in the previous chapter). According to the real plan, Soojung and I were the only one who supposed to do so, but Soojung insisted on Chen to tag along. So, the conclusion is, Chen’s coffee shop plan on hooking us up had failed miserably. Other than that, we exchanged number with each other.

''Good gracious, I’m almost late for my curfew! Excuse me, but I have to go, bye!'' Chen said as he hurriedly waved back at us. Soojung and I stared at his figures as it slowly started to fade away. The both of us took a sip of our coffee while walking through the street side by side.

''Hey, let’s go to that playground over there!'' Soojung said, pointing to a vacant playground. There were no sight of children at the playground. Weird. I have no idea why but my stomach was feeling queasy. I decided to shrug it off. Probably because I’m drinking while walking too much. Digestion problem I think?

Soojung and I took a sit at the swing set. Unconscious of the situation around me, I kept on drinking my coffee while playing with my phone. No one spoke after a few minutes and Soojung decides to break the silence.

''Sehun, today was the greatest summer that I’ve ever had. Thank you for accompanying me.'' She said as she stared at her half-drink coffee cup which she was holding. Then, she reverts her eyes to me. ’’Even though my friends were all gone to the overseas, I think hanging out with you is way more fun than rotting myself in my room alone doing nothing,’’ other than her thank you speech, she gave me a genuine smile to top it off just like a cherry on top of an icecream.

''Umm, you’re welcome?'' I can’t think of any other thing to respond to her. The way she said it is just like a confession of love. I can feel the bombs inside me explodes, one by one as I pictured myself confessing to her.

''Oh, by the way, I actually lied to you about me getting my feet slipped at the amusement park,'' she told me with a sheepish smile on her face. So she lied about it after all. Didn’t want to know the reason why, I continued to play with my phone.

''Anyway, me and Chen had planned on going out like this on next week’s special day~'' Soojung chirped happily on the word ‘special day’. Special day. Next week. She must be referring to her birthday next week.

Good thing that weed old man gave me a discount on this wonderful necklace. This type of necklace will make all of the girls around the world goes ‘kyaaa’. I swear to myself, after this adventure ended, I’m going to celebrate ‘Weed Day’ on the 20th of April every year dedicated to that old man.(I didn’t smoke weed so I’ll celebrate it healthy ‘no-weed’ style)

When I was rubbing on my pocket, I noticed that there were no bulge on it. None. I tried checking it in my other pocket and there was nothing.

Wait.

Wait.

OH MY GOD!!

*Flashback Intensifies*

‘’Since this thing is expensive, I shall hold it for you,’’ Chen said as he put the pink necklace box inside his pocket. I give him a ‘but why’ face.

‘’Because I’m older than you and I’m a responsible man.’’ He answered my question without me asking it.

Flabberjackus! Chen forgot to return the necklace. Goddammit Chen!

''Soojung, would you excuse me? I want to call someone, immediately.'' I told Soojung as I went to somewhere private to call Chen.

This was how the conversation went:

*Beep, beep, beep* *clacking sounds*

Chen : Hello?

Sehun : Chen, you forgot to return me the necklace! You have to return it before Soojung’s birthday, got it?

Chen : Yup, got it. I’ll send it to you tomorrow if I have a free time.

Sehun : You better be. (in a low, deep, scary voice as I hung up)

*Beep*

I went back to the playground to check up on Soojung. ''Hey, thanks for waiting. I was just cal-'' as soon as I opened my eyes, I saw Soojung with a black cat. It was the cat that I saw at the pet shop earlier. I recognized it because of its torn damaged left ear and its green eyes.

I sat back on the swing set and watched as Soojung patted the cat’s fur continuously. The cat’s eyes begin to close as it felt the pleasure of its own fur being patted on. I checked my phone, it was 12:30 in the afternoon. Chen must had already arrived at his home.

''You know, I kind of hate summer,'' Soojung said. Somehow, feeling quite suspicious of her own statement, I asked her why.

''Why, you seem to be happy every time it’s summer,''

''…..''

Nothing spoke except the sound of silence.

''It’s a secret,'' Soojung answered back with a mischievous smile.

Suddenly, the cat that was sleeping on her lap, woke up and ran away. ''Ah, it ran away,'' I said.''I…m ..llow it,'' I can barely hear her voice mumbling.

Soojung followed the cat when it ran away. I didn’t stop her because there were no sight of vehicles on the road.

''Tch, stupid. It’s just a cat, I mumbled as I turned around and took another sip of my coffee when a loud noise interrupted me.

When I turned my head to see the direction of the noise, I was startled. Startled to the point where I couldn’t move.

The coffee isn’t the only thing that was spilling on the ground. There were red. Spilling of red everywhere. I was scared. I was scared because-

In front of me was a human girl body laying defenselessly on the road. What ran pass through the road was a truck. It was a hit-and-run. The girl that was laying on the road seems to be the same age as me. It’s not Soojung. It is not Soojung and it will never will. Soojung would never leave me like this.

I tried to deny the fact as hard as I could as the haze of lies surrounded me. The haze laughed as it screamed ‘This is all real!’

The smell of blood started to lingered and causes me to choke. I cannot move as if my feet were tied to the ground. I’m unable to scream out for help as if my vocal cord was ripped off. The cat’s eye colour changed as if it was imitating the traffic light’s colour. Red

 

__  __  __

 

Suddenly, a truck came out of nowhere and struck you as you screamed
Your scent, now mingled with sprayed blood, choked me

In the haze of lies, the haze of heat laughed, "This is all real!"
With that, like a cricket’s sound being disturbed, the light blue of summer darkened away.

 


 

A/N : Let the party begin! All of you were waiting for Soojung to die aren't you? Haha, jk

Hope you like this chapter and please leave me a comment and subscribe if you wanted to.

 


A/N*** give a huge shoutout to the random old man with the weeds,, woo!! unlike the other chapters, this one doesnt have anything problematic so i didnt do any editing in this. thats it for this chapter ya'll, byee.

-September 22, 2015