With half an arrow in my chest

Half a Heart

Jessica woke up to the sound of their front door opening and closing. Turning to lie on her side, she squinted over the digital clock on her bedside table. It was almost three in the morning.

Heavy footsteps echoed in the hallway before the door beside her room opened. She waited for a while before deciding to check on Hyunoo. After a moment of silence, she moved out of bed and slipped on her bathrobe, hugging her body as she walked out of her room.

She walked to the door beside hers and opened it carefully. She smiled when she saw her son sprawled on his bed, sound asleep. She walked in; pulling Hyunoo's blanket that was lying on the floor and covered her son's body with it. She kissed Hyunoo's forehead before walking out of the room again.

She was just about to go back to her room when she noticed the door situated on the other side of her room was left ajar. She peeked inside, checking if the owner was already sleeping. She shook her head upon seeing the owner of the room sprawled on the bed, just like how Hyunoo had. Jessica carefully tiptoed inside the room, taking in the appearance of the man -his necktie hanging loosely on his neck, the first three upper buttons of his dress shirt ed and it was untucked from his trouser, his shoes were still on his feet. He reeked of alcohol, too; a sign that tells her he was missing her again. Then she realized; she couldn't really think of a time when her husband didn’t miss her.

Jessica sighed before taking off his shoes and necktie. She then pulled the blanket over his body like what she did to Hyunoo. She stayed for a while, admiring the face of the person she shares a house, son and family name with but not a room. They've been sleeping in different rooms ever since they got married.

Her hands unconsciously brushed her husband's forehead, brushing away the dark locks that stuck on it. She smiled at the features Hyunoo shares with his father before it turned into a sad smile when she was reminded of her selfishness. Jessica bit on her upper lip. Truth be told, though, if she were to rewrite the past, she would never change anything in it. She loves Hyunoo way too much to wish that the boy didn't exist. She could never do that. Hyunoo is all she has.

“Good night, Taeyeon.” She whispered before exiting the room with a heavy heart.

**

Taeyeon woke up with a heavy headache but he was used to that. He squinted, noticing that he didn't have his shoes and necktie anymore. He reached for the bedside table and his hand came in contact with a bottle of pills and a glass of water; something he already expected. He groggily sat up on his bed before taking the pills, swallowing two painkillers and drowning it with water. He then moved out of bed and walked to the bathroom, taking his towel with him. His eyes momentarily lingered on the dress shirt, necktie and trousers laid neatly on his desk.

Jessica had just got out of the kitchen when Taeyeon walked down the stairs, freshly washed up and already in his office attire.

“Good morning,” Jessica greeted, putting the cup of coffee she made on the table before beckoning Taeyeon to sit.

“Morning,” Taeyeon said in a low voice before sitting on his spot in the table. He was a little embarrassed at Jessica that he came home drunk, again.

“Mommy, can I have bacon please.” Hyunoo said, diverting Jessica's attention from Taeyeon to him.

Jessica smiled at her son before granting her son's request, settling down on her chair in the process.

“Mommy, don't forget my toys okay?” Hyunoo looked at Jessica before munching on his bacon.

“Shoot,” Taeyeon muttered in a low voice. “I'm sorry, Sica, I forgot about your suitcase.”

Jessica gave him a kind smile. “Don't worry, Taengoo, I'll just bring it for him later.”

“And you,” she turned to her son. “Finish your food faster or you might be late again.”

Hyunoo nodded and did as he was told. Jessica turned to look back at Taeyeon and noticed that her husband was looking intently at Hyunoo.

“Taeyeon, is there something wrong?”

Taeyeon blinked and looked at Jessica. “Oh, no, nothing. I--err,” he scratched the back of his head. “Can I drop Hyunoo to school today? I feel really bad about his toys.”

Hyunoo stopped eating, turning to look at his father with wide eyes.

“I-If that's okay.. for him?” Taeyeon met Hyunoo's gaze.

“Of course,” Jessica smiled brightly. “He would love that.” And she would love that, too.

Jessica turned to Hyunoo. “You'd love that, right?”

Hyunoo nods his head shyly before bringing his attention back to his food.

Taeyeon sipped on his coffee, hiding his smile behind the cup.

**

“So, how was it?” Jessica asked as soon as Taeyeon entered his office.

Taeyeon shrugged. “Well, he didn't talk much, he just gave me directions. He thought I didn't know where his school was.”

Taeyeon remembered how Hyunoo was always aloof towards him. He could never really blame his son; he was never there for him while growing up. He was way too busy with work or out drowning his senses with alcohol.

“At least he lets you drive him to school today,” Jessica chuckled. “Call me when you need me, I'll be outside.”

Taeyeon nods, watching Jessica's back as she exits his office.

“Wow, it's always peaceful here when you're around.” Sunny commented, dramatically gesturing her hands around the workplace, as Jessica sat across from her.

Jessica rolled her eyes. “You have to understand Taeyeon. He wasn't ready for all of these when his father handed him the company three years ago, he still gets overwhelmed at times.”

Sunny scoffed. “Of course, the wife should defend the husband,” she rolled her eyes. “Aren't you tired?”

Jessica furrowed her brows at Sunny. “Tired of what?”

“Playing Mrs. Kim? Being his secretary? Keeping up with his ?”

Jessica looked away from Sunny. “I am Mrs. Kim and being his secretary isn't so hard. And Taeyeon is a nice guy. He's my best friend, remember?”

“Sure,” Sunny said. “You are Mrs. Kim, alright, but he isn't treating you as a wife.”

“You know things aren't as simple as that,” Jessica smiled sadly at Sunny. “As long as he provides for Hyunoo and me, then that’s okay. We don’t have to act like husband and wife.”

“It had been seven years; Hyunoo's all grown up now. He still can't get over the ex? He still can't accept the fact that he has a wife and a son now? And he still hasn't learned to love you?”

Jessica felt a pang on in her chest and she fought the urge to cry at her miseries out. “We can’t force people to love us, Sunny-ah,” she smiled through aching heart.

“I'm sorry,” Sunny said when she noticed the dejected look in Jessica's face. “It's just that – every guy would be so lucky to have you, you know.”

Jessica didn't answer, her mind wandering to the 'what ifs'. But no matter how she thinks about it, she can never deny the fact that she would never choose the other way around if she have had the chance. Having Hyunoo was enough consolation for her unrequited love. She’s the best friend and that’s what she’ll ever be in Taeyeon’s life.

“Look,” Jessica snapped out of her reverie and looked at Sunny as the short woman spoke in a careful and comforting tone. “I know you love Taeyeon but – I just hope you try to consider finding your own happiness, too. I don't like seeing you trapped in a relationship that has nothing to offer but loneliness.”

Jessica shook her head, “I have Hyunoo. That's enough for me.”

“I know, and I'm glad you have him. But Jessica, have you ever considered divorce? You both are trapped in this relationship and as far as I can tell, Hyunoo doesn’t have a good relationship with his father either.”

Sunny let out a sigh. “You don’t have to fit yourselves in Taeyeon’s life, you know.”

Jessica gnawed at her bottom lip. She had considered divorce for so many times before, thinking that it was the least she could do for Taeyeon –to set him free from them- but everything goes down to her being selfish and not wanting Taeyeon out of their lives. She didn’t want Hyunoo to grow up without a father.

“You have,” Sunny said matter-of-factly. “But you can't do it.”

Jessica nods timidly at her long-time friend. She would never lie to Sunny, just as how Sunny would never lie to her.