Marriage is a lifelong commitment

Fiction Collection

Because marriage is a lifelong commitment, Kevin had to consider this it carefully.

"You look fabulous." The make-up artist complimented as she brushed on the finishing touch on Kevin's face. "Here we go, all done!"

Kevin looked at himself in the full length mirror. His auburn hair was unstyled and freely contouring the sides of his face. His face shimmered under the fluorescent light in the dressing room, especially his pink lips that was coated with a layer of gloss.

Spinning left and right, he examined himself and the wedding dress he had on. Yes, he was wearing one because he had lost a bet with Kibum. The dirty white ruffled dress that stopped mid-knee fitted Kevin perfectly.

He smiled contently to himself, combing through his fringe. This is it, he thought to himself. He had to make a life-altering decision today.

In the church, Kibum fidgeted nervously as he bit his fingernails. Soohyun slapped his hand, "Stop biting your nails."

Kibum whispered, "I can't, I'm freaking out, okay?"

Soohyun only laughed and walked away. Leaving Kibum, who was dressed in a white tux alone to panic.

Then, the organ was brought to life as the familiar wedding music resounded within the four walls.

There he was, the love of Kibum's life walking through the church door, looking even more beautiful than usual. Had Kevin been hiding his gender all these while? Kibum gawked at Kevin, who was elegantly walking down the aisle, with a demure smile fixed on his face.

Kibum knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Kevin. Because marriage is a lifelong commitment Kibum wanted to promise Kevin to.

Kevin interlocked his fingers with Kibum's as the couple smiled blissfully at each other.

Being too absorbed at looking at each other, Kibum missed the words spilling out from the priest's mouth.

"I do." he absentmindedly replied, since he already knew his answer long ago.

Tears brimmed Kevin's eyes with an unexplainable expression on his face. The priest repeated the vow and waited for Kevin's reply.

"I..." Kevin stammered as he let go of Kibum's hands, "I can't. I'm sorry." Tears slowly trailed down Kevin's cheeks as he turned away and raced out of the church.

It was dead silence in the church as everyone was still in a state of shock. Kibum looked in bewilderment at his friends who were sitting at the front row seats.

"Run after him!" Alexander mouthed exaggeratedly.

Kibum nodded slightly before dashing out of the church and frantically looked for Kevin.

Kevin squatted down at a nearby parking lot, catching his breath and attempting to stop his tears.

"Sorry Kibum, I'm so so sorry." He mumbled to himself.

Because marriage is a lifelong commitment, Kevin was afraid. He was fearful of society's view about them, his family's views about them and how he was going to live with it for the rest of his life. It explained the empty church, only filled with Kibum's family and their common close friends.

He loved Kibum, no doubt. But the pressure of their forbidden love was too overwhelming to handle.

Because marriage was a lifelong commitment, it deterred some and broke some hearts.