EIGHTEEN

The Sacrifice *HIATUS*

A/N :  Hey  everyone! I'm back again. Miss me? *sobs* T_T. Sorry for the looooooonggg hiatus. Some of you must have forgotten how the story is going on, right? I'm sorry. Even I, myself, have to read this story again because I forgot lots of moments in this story. Anyway, thank you for still subscribing. Enjoy reading this, ok? Like always, Comments and  Upvotes are LOVED! Hehehe.

 

EIGHTEEN

 

(Tuesday, October 29th 2013: six weeks pregnant)

A week had passed. Kyungsoo had been legally divorced with Jongin for a week already, and she could be seen was trying to live her life happily together with her father. Chanyeol was being a caring and lovable father as always. He would make sure that his daughter always be in a good condition and so on. Kyungsoo couldn’t be more thankful than she already was as to have a nice father like him. How she wished that her mother was still alive, so that the three of them could live as a perfect family together, but she knew that was completely impossible to bring someone who was dead back to life.

 

******

 

It was night time when both father and daughter spent their times watching television together in the living room. They were watching a Korean movie from the year 80s, but Kyungsoo didn’t really enjoy watching it to be honest. It was the movie which her father loved to watch when he was a teenager; quite ‘old-fashioned’ which didn’t succeed to catch the heart of the modern people like Kyungsoo to fall in love with the plot or storyline. Chanyeol was happy to see the movie got airing again because it had been a long time since he last watching that movie.

“So sad to see a couple who is deeply in love with each other gets separated by death. That type of separation isn’t something that any human beings in this world can stop it from happening,” said Chanyeol for all of the sudden, breaking the long silence between him and his daughter while his eyes were still focusing on the screen.

Kyungsoo changed her gaze to her father as she heard what he was saying. By the time she stared at her father’s face, she could see tears were b in his eyes, and she knew exactly who her father was thinking at that time; her mother.

“Appa,” Kyungsoo called with a soft voice while gently rubbing her father’s knuckles.

Chanyeol quickly wiped the tears before it could stream down on his cheeks, and he chuckled lightly.

“Sorry. I accidentally told you the ending. Such a spoiler,” he told.

Kyungsoo smiled at him while slowly seizing the remote control from Chanyeol’s grip. She didn’t want her father to become more upset, so she decided to switch on to other channel.

“Maybe we should change channel. Okay?” she suggested, and Chanyeol nodded.  

“Y-Yeah. That’s a great idea,” he agreed.

Kyungsoo then pressed on the channel button of the remote control. Once the selected channel had , which was a news channel to be exacted, both father and daughter produced the same surprised reaction as they watched it.

“It’s Minseok-ssi,” Kyungsoo told in a surprised-excited tone, as if she was seeing an artist.

“Yes, sweetheart. It’s him,” replied her father.

Both of them continued to watch and listen to know what the news was all about. The reporter was reporting about the launching of a new five-star hotel in Seoul; one of the biggest Avenue Company’s projects. Minseok could be seen was in the middle of giving his speech in front of a number of reporters and interviewers.

‘Mr. Kim Min Seok told the launching of the hotel was such a memorable thing for him, and he hoped people would give good responses. He assured that people would get excellent services and facilities and could stay comfortably whilst staying in the hotel. According to Mr. Kim Min Seok again, there would be an event to be held, so anyone could come and participate. Great prizes are waiting for those who participate for the event. Apart from that, job vacancies would be provided starting on this 31st October. Mr. Kim Minseok encouraged people, especially to those who had ever experienced working in the hotel to come for an interview since the rules to get qualified for the job are not really strict and burdensome. Detailed information can be obtained at Avenue Company. He hoped everyone will experience a wonderful vacation and memories once they choose Avenue Hotel as their place to stay.’

 

******

 

“Wow, Minseok-ssi is such a successful man,” Kyungsoo commented just as soon as the news ended.

“Of course he is, Kyungsoo. He came from a successful family,” replied Chanyeol.

“It’s been a month since I’ve last seen and contacted him. But it’s not like we really contacted each other before. Also, I guess he wants to avoid me since the case at the restaurant,” she added.

Chanyeol pinched her cheek softly before he talked.

“Aigoo. I’m sure he isn’t that type of person. He is giving you the time to rest and doesn’t want to disturb you,” he told.

Kyungsoo just shrugged as the respond to her father’s words. It could be true or not true.

“I don’t mind about that actually. We are not close after all, so I don’t feel anything,” Kyungsoo said.

There was one thing suddenly across in Chanyeol’s mind soon after that. With a bright expression, he immediately said that thing to his daughter.

“Sweetie, you told me that you wanted to find a job, right?” he asked.

Kyungsoo blinked her eyes for twice as she couldn’t react to her father’s surprise question just yet.

“Y-Yeah. Why?” she asked confusedly with a frown on her face.

“Why don’t you try to apply for a job at his hotel? Since you have his number, you can directly ask him for further information about the job and all,” Chanyeol told excitedly.

However, his suggestion didn’t really get a good response from Kyungsoo.

“What? No, appa. I can’t do that,” she disagreed. “Like I told you just now, we didn’t contact and meet each other for a month already. It looks weird if I suddenly call or meet him just because of this job,” Kyungsoo explained.

“Well, it doesn’t sound weird for me. Just think about it again before this 31st. I want you to work there. At least I know you will be working under the company and someone I trust.”

Kyungsoo smiled uneasily at her father while her mind was wondering about something. Minseok was someone whom her father trusted? Since when?

“I don’t get it. You barely know him, yet you trust him?” she questioned her father.

Chanyeol blinked his eyes twice and became speechless. Kyungsoo’s question was making him to lose his words to say anything. Kyungsoo waved her hand in front of her father’s face as to get his attention back.

“Appa, you okay?” she asked worriedly.

“Uh? Urm, y-yeah. I’m okay,” he answered and let out a low huff. “Well, sweetie. I don’t mean to say that I trust him. What I’m trying to say is, Avenue Company is a well-known company in Seoul. It is famous with the great CEO, great workers, great works, great projects, great productions, or easy to be said, the company is great with everything. That is what I meant by I trust. Do you get it, sweetie?” asked the father after he finished his explanation.

Kyungsoo smiled and nodded her head.

“Alright. I understand,” she said.

“So, do you want to work there?” Chanyeol questioned her, and Kyungsoo shrugged for the second time.

“Don’t know yet.”

“Think about it, okay? You have one day left to decide,” Chanyeol reminded her. 

 

******

 

(Next day)

(Techno Company)

 “I want the secretarial file for the current housing project to be on my desk this lunch. Make sure everything is inside it, alright?”

“Yes, sir,” Jongin nodded weakly for once before he excused himself.

As he left his boss’s room, he went straightly to Sehun’s table. He stood up in front of the table with his arms crossed over his chest while looking at the papers and files on it. However, he didn’t utter a single word to the man, making Sehun to wonder why and stop from doing his work. Sehun looked up and immediately asked his friend a question.

“You okay?”

Jongin still silent. Sehun let out a short hum and then back to do his works.

“If you don’t have something to say, you better leave. You’re making me uncomfortable if you keep on staring like that,” the man told.

“Sehun, I’m thinking of to quit from this job,” said Jongin for all of the sudden in a serious tone.

When Sehun heard that, he went back to look at his friend’s face once again.

“Come again,” he said.

 “I want to resign. I want to quit,” Jongin repeated.

“Quit? But why?” Sehun sounded slightly angry.

“Personal reason,” he answered. “Just do your work. Talk later,” Jongin said again and walked back to his seat.

Sehun was just staring at his friend for a while. He saw Jongin sat down on his seat and leaned his back against the chair while closing his eyes. He looked really stress, and it kind of making Sehun to feel worried to see his friend like that.

“This must be because of Kyungsoo,” he thought.

Since he was feeling uneasy to let his friend to stay in a condition like that, Sehun decided to have a talk with Jongin. He got up from his seat and walked to get to the stress man.

“Buddy, let’s go get fresh air at the rooftop,” Sehun suggested.  

 

******

 

(The rooftop)

“You’ve been moody and stressful like this for a month already. I noticed that. You got problems? Do you need help?”

Sehun was trying to show how concerned he was towards Jongin. Jongin shoved his hands into his slack’s pockets while staring on the floor, thinking what he should say to Sehun.  

“Jongin?” Sehun called, eager to get a reply from the man.

“It’s been a week. I’ve divorced with my wife for a week already,” Jongin finally admitted. 

 

******

 

(Do’s House)

Kyungsoo: I just woke up. I’ll eat after I take a bath.

Chanyeol: Okay. Don’t forget to heat the food first. I’ve prepared watermelon juice for you also. Drink it. Take care, alright?

Kyungsoo: (smiled) I will, appa. Thank you.

Chanyeol: No problem. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Make your decision by today. Tomorrow’s the start of the interview. The earlier day you go, the higher the chance to get selected.

Kyungsoo: Appa~ I know that. I’ll think about it again later.

Chanyeol: (chuckled) Alright, alright. Don’t be mad. I have to hang up now. Bye, sweetie.

Kyungsoo huffed after her father ended the call. She unlocked her phone and clicked on the contact’s section. She scrolled up the page and stopped as soon as she saw Minseok’s name. “Hmm, should I really do this, Minseok-ssi? You’re not gonna think weirdly, right?” she asked, as if Minseok was there to hear her.  Kyungsoo stared on the screen again. She hesitantly wanted to press on the dial button as she was still in a dilemma. “I need to earn money to help my dad. Since we knew each other, I think it’ll not be a problem if I want to work there right? Hmm … why is it so hard for me to decide?” she talked to herself again and sighed. 

 

******

 

(The rooftop)

“They have divorced?” Sehun said in his heart.

Sehun’s mind started to flashback the incident that had happened in the restaurant a month ago. He remembered the warning that Chanyeol had warned him on that day. He was sure the incident had got to do with the divorce.

“Buddy, stay strong,” he told, patted on Jongin’s shoulder softly.

That was the least thing he could say to Jongin at that time. He couldn’t just say he kind of knowing about this thing because he had made a promise to Chanyeol not to mention about Kyungsoo and their meeting to Jongin.

“This is my fault. I ed up everything. I can’t even think straight nowadays,” Jongin ruffled his hair messily with his one hand, showing how unstable his feelings and mind were at that time.

Sehun was still patting his shoulder and said soothing words to him.

“You don’t have to explain to me anything since this is your privacy. Thing you should do is to take a rest, Jongin,” Sehun told.

“That won’t work. I’m getting more suffocated staying at home,” the other man quickly replied.

“I didn’t say you should rest at home. Go to somewhere that you think you can make yourself to feel relax. Give sometime alone for yourself. Blaming yourself for everything that had happened is not gonna change anything, buddy,” Sehun explained.  

Jongin turned silent. He changed his gaze to see the view of the buildings from the rooftop and exhaled the air heavily through his nose. He closed his eyes and tried to put himself into a meditative state; relaxed his mind and his body. Sehun looked at him with a smile on his face.

“That is a good way to relax yourself too. Try to think of something that always bring a smile to you or make you feel happy and calm every time you think about it. I tried it once, and it’s really working. You co—”

“I know that. Stop talking already,” Jongin quickly interrupted, making Sehun to feel slightly startle.

“Oh, okay. You just go on. I’ll meet you again in the office. Stay calm, buddy.”

He gave a pat again on Jongin’s shoulder and left the guy alone after that. Jongin didn’t reply the other with anything as he was more on trying to focus on relaxing his mind. He breathed in and out slowly and his mind started to produce every happy moments of him that he had.

He remembered he won the 1st place during high school in the international chess competition; it couldn’t make him to feel that happy.   

He remembered the time he got offered to work in the current company he was working at now, and he shouted happily because finally he got a job; still couldn’t make him to feel calm.

He remembered the day the first time he met Jessica. It somehow could enable him to start hovering a smile on his lips. Just as he remembered the happy moments that he had spent with his fiancée, the smile became more visible. The moment where they were hugging, kissing, and cuddling with each other were making Jongin to smile even more as he remembered about it. He felt happy as he thought about those moments of him with Jessica, but that was just it.

Although he was smiling and feeling happy, he still could feel the emptiness present in his heart. He could still feel something was missing. He hadn’t felt calm yet. His happiness right at that moment was mixing up with anxiety. He tried to remember other happy moments he had with Jessica but none, none of them seemed could produce the feeling of calm in his heart and mind. When he was flashing back other happy moments that he had had in his life, the most joyful moment of him then appeared in his thought.

He swore that his mind and heart suddenly felt so calm just as soon as the scene appeared in his mind. A warm smile automatically carved on his lips. He was happy. He felt calm. This memory of him was really giving him the calmness and happiness feelings that he wanted. It was the scene where there were lots of guests, the families from both sides, the priest, the bride and the groom gathered together in one room called church.

It was the moment where he was standing by facing the bride, making his vow.

It was the moment where he could see his bride was smiling happily, and so did himself.

It was one of the best memories of him; the moment he shouldn’t forget— his wedding day.

The happiness in Kyungsoo’s eyes and written all over her face and her sweet smile could really make Jongin’s heart to feel calm and happy as he remembered about it. Kyungsoo was the real key for his happiness.

 

 

 

“Kyungsoo-yah …” he muttered the name in a low voice and smiled warmly. Without he realized, a tear slip out from his tear duct, rolling smoothly on his cheek. 

 

A/N :  I've just finished watching 'It's Okay, That's Love'. Ep 15 and 16 are the saddest episodes ever! I'm crying a han river right now. Hahaha. Tho Kyungsoo is only his hallucination, I still feel upset. T_T