FOURTEEN

The Sacrifice *HIATUS*

 

FOURTEEN

 

(At night)

(Do’s House)

“Uh, Minseok-ssi?”

Kyungsoo muttered lowly while staring on her phone screen. Just when Kyungsoo had switched on her phone after it was being fully charged, she was quite surprised to see the notifications; ten missed calls and six new messages, which came all from Minseok. She remembered she didn’t switch on the phone back since the night after she had the phone call with Jongin. Minseok was probably feeling so worried because if he didn’t, those missed calls and messages wouldn’t be received by her. Because of the feeling of guilt for making Minseok to feel like that, she then decided to call him.

 

******

 

(Kim’s House 2)

Minseok had just finished taken his bath when he heard his phone rang; airing the loud chorus part of Fly to the Sky-Missing You ringtone in his entire bedroom’s space. With a quick step walking from the bathroom to his bed, he took the phone and looked on the screen to know who the caller was. The name appeared had managed to make his already big eyes to open even bigger than usual. It was Kyungsoo, and without delaying even just for a second again, he slid his thumb to the right side on the screen, and the call line between the two persons had been connected.

Minseok: Kyungsoo-ssi! (said happily)

Kyungsoo: Oh, h—hi Minseok-ssi. Sorry if I’m disturbing you.

Minseok: What? Oh, no, no. You don’t. In fact, I’m glad you call. I was worried sick thinking about you.

Kyungsoo: (blushed) You … do?

Minseok: Yeah. I thought that something bad might happen to you again, but you’re okay, right?

Kyungsoo: (chuckled) Yes, I’m okay. Sorry. I switched off my phone and then forgot to switch it back on, that’s why. Don’t worry. I’m at my house now.

Minseok: (sighed with relief) Good thing to hear that. You still need to get enough rest. I bet your husband must’ve been freak out to hear the news, right?

Kyungsoo: Aa ... no, I haven’t told him yet.

Minseok: Oh, okay. You wanna make a proper surprise?

Kyungsoo: (laughed uneasily) Y—Yeah.

Minseok: I get it (chuckled) Have you had your dinner?

Kyungsoo: Well I’m about too. How about you?

Minseok: Same here. Urm … I guess you should hang up now. It seems not nice to see a wife on the phone with some other men for too long.

Kyungsoo: Oh, yeah, yeah. I understand. Bye Minseok-ssi.

Minseok: Alright. Thanks for calling me by the way. Have a great dinner with your husband.

 

******

 

(Do’s House)

Kyungsoo let out a sigh after she ended the call. She felt stupid for lying to Minseok like that, but he was still a stranger to her. She couldn’t tell him the actual thing that had happened to her to a stranger. But, if she had the chance and might be become closer to Minseok, she would definitely tell him the exact situation. At the same time, Kyungsoo heard a knock on the door for once; definitely her father, but before she could give her permission to let him to come in, he already entered the room.

“Kyungsoo sweetie, are you ready?” he asked, smiled after that.

“Yes, appa. Let’s go.”

 

******

 

(Kim’s House)

Jongin’s parents had arrived at his house and were then being welcomed by both couple. Mrs. Kim was smiling broadly when she saw Jessica and then immediately hugged her.

“Jessica darling.”

“Aunty, it’s so nice to see you again,” she told, hugging the elder too.

“How are you? Fine? My grandchild?” Mrs. Kim asked as soon as they broke the hug.

“We’re both fine. Don’t worry,” she answered and grinned.

They both were hugging each other again before walking to the living room together. Jongin and his father were just smiling when they looked at them.

“So, when are they coming son?” Mr. Kim asked, tapped his palm over Jongin’s shoulder.

“Soon. They’re on their way, dad.”

 

******

 

Thirty five minutes later, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo arrived at the Kim’s, and they could tell how awkward and tensed up the situation was as all six of them gathered in the living room.

Kyungsoo and her father were sitting on the two-seater sofa while the other four were sitting together in one line on the other sofa. Jongin’s parents and Jessica were staring at Kyungsoo in which Chanyeol was doing the same thing to Jongin. The looked that he ‘threw’ to Jongin was full of hatred and dissatisfaction. Seeing Jongin was holding Jessica’s hand on the side, it made Chanyeol to feel like strangling him to death right away.  If he didn’t care much about Kyungsoo’s feeling, at least he had his respect towards his father-in-law.     

“So!” Mr. Kim took the chance to speak out first since there was no one who seemed like wanting to break the silence just now. Everyone’s eyes were now focusing on him. “We’re here now, and I don’t think we need to waste any more of our time. Let’s proceed,” he told, eyes were then staring at Kyungsoo again, and when she noticed that, she bowed her head down as she was feeling uncomfortable to be stared like that.

“Jongin should start. Kyungsoo doesn’t have anything to explain about,” Chanyeol ordered, and the man didn’t give any excuse when he was being told to do so.

 

(click here) listen while reading

 

Kyungsoo slowly lifted her head up and made her eyes to stare at Jongin. It felt weird to see the man who was always being together with her was now sitting next to another woman; holding each other hands. It felt weird to know the man that once had mended her broken heart four years ago was also the one who had made it to be broken again. It seemed like something unacceptable that she had to erase away Kim Jong In, her husband, her yeobo, from her life from now.

“Well uh, how should I start this?” Jongin spoke.

He scratched his head although it wasn’t feeling itchy at all. It was a normal act that people would do every time they had lost their words to say something or anything. Jessica squeezed his hand gently as she was asking him to relax.

“I wanna know how this could happen,” Chanyeol told again.

He was looking so serious just like a tiger waiting for the suitable time to eat its prey.

“It just happened, dad. Doesn’t matter how it happen, it had already happened. Things you should know, before I met Kyungsoo, Jessica was my first lover. Two months after we broke up due to certain reasons, I met your daughter. But then, Jessy and I became couple again January this year, and I proposed her to be my fiancée on March. She’s pregnant now. One month plus,” Jongin told.

So that was how the story went after Kyungsoo knew about it.

“Jongin was cheating on me for nine months …” told Kyungsoo sadly in her heart.

The way Jongin talked was really making Chanyeol’s blood to boil up. He didn’t sound like he was at fault at all. He sounded so calm that it really pissed Chanyeol off. If murdering someone was allowed by the law and the world, surely he had brought together a sniper or a bazooka with him to shoot all four of them. Just before Chanyeol could let his voice out again, Kyungsoo had interrupted him. She was asking Jongin a question that could make the said guy became speechless for a moment, and everyone silent.

“Jo—Jongin-ah … am I your mistake?” She repeated her question with trembled voice. Chanyeol was then staring sadly at his daughter, and it broke his heart so much to see her upset face. Kyungsoo stared at Jongin right to his eyes with her already red-teary eyes. “I’m asking you, Jongin. Why can’t you answer me?”

Her lower lip quivered as she was trying her best to hold herself from crying. Jongin breathed out heavily through his nose before he broke the stare between him and Kyungsoo, but the woman was still staring at him.

 

*

*

*

 

“Yes. Yes, you’re the mistake that I should erase from my life, Kyungsoo,” Jongin told with a low-serious tone.

“What the ?!” Chanyeol cussed.

Kyungsoo scoffed weakly in disbelief, and tear slipped out from one of her tear ducts and rolled down smoothly on her cheek.   

 

******

 

“I love Jessy and meeting you was a mistake. I should’ve just waited for Jessy to come back to me, but you became the intruder to our love story.”

“The hell are you talking about, Kim Jong In?!” Chanyeol asked angrily, slightly raised up his voice as he had reached his limit at that time.

He was about to get up from his seat and get to Jongin, but Kyungsoo had interrupted him once again by holding his arms tightly. Jessica and Jongin’s parents were about to stop Chanyeol too, and luckily Kyungsoo had done so.

“Appa don’t. I don’t want you to be put in jail if you hurt him,” Kyungsoo begged and then looked at Jongin again after that.  “Jongin-ah, I hope you really meant what you had said, but let me correct you this time.”

The attentions now were being given to Kyungsoo. Both Kyungsoo and Jongin were staring at each other’s eyes.

“For your correction, I never wanted to step inside your life. I hope you can still remember it clearly that you were the one who made yourself to enter in my pathetic life. I hope you can still remember that you were the one who stopped me from ended up my life. I hope you can still remember that you told me that you wanted to start a new life; to forget about your past. I hope you can still remember that you were the one, who have fixed my broken heart, and I hope that you will remember this from now on that you are; the person who had become my savior is the same person who has made my heart to be broken again! Thank you so much for the memories that you have left for me for the whole four years we had been together. And I hope our case can be settled as soon as possible so that both of us can start a new life again.” 

 

******

 

“You’re welcome and don’t worry, Kyungsoo. It won’t take a long time to settle it.”

Kyungsoo’s vision became blurry as tears were thickening in her eyes. She couldn’t believe to see in Jongin’s eyes, there was no sympathy or love towards her anymore. The guy was just staring at her emotionlessly as if he didn’t have his soul anymore. The way he talked also didn’t seem to care about her feelings. Chanyeol had become speechless also, and just like Kyungsoo, his eyes were already b with tears too. Seeing his beloved one getting and being hurt, that was his point of weaknesses that he really couldn’t hold himself from not to cry.  

Jessica, who was staring at Kyungsoo for almost all the time on that night, was b with tears also. She wasn’t really sure with her feelings at that moment. She just felt like crying and that might be because of the pregnancy hormone. However, deep inside her heart, she knew that she actually have a feeling of sympathy towards Kyungsoo. The girl was just so innocent and yet, she had to suffer like that. She felt sorry, but the greedy feeling that she had had become the reason for her not wanting to lose. She had won in having Jongin in her life, and she must treasure the chance and Jongin, himself.

The night went on with the emotional tears came from Kyungsoo. There was no use to prolong the discussion because it didn’t feel like a discussion at all for Chanyeol. The meeting was just like the moment where they could torture Kyungsoo’s feelings and emotions. There was a part when Chanyeol managed to create a fight and then punched Jongin hardly on his face, and luckily the family didn’t decide to report him to the police.  Before the father and daughter left the house, Chanyeol had managed again to say something to both couple.

“You don’t ever think you can live happily with that bastard! Although Jongin had left Kyungsoo because of you, you don’t think that you’re special enough for him to treasure you forever in his life. Jongin can leave you too for another girl! As for you Jongin, you’ll regret everything!”