c04: The Chase II

This Everlasting Devotion

“You want to have a closer look?”

“...”

“Maybe… here?” Sunggyu traced his hands across his bare chest.

Woohyun pretended to look away in disgust, but constantly glanced his way. Sunggyu noticed the reaction and giggled.

“Or here?” His fingers went further down his abs.

Now, Woohyun could no longer look away. Sunggyu glanced to make sure Woohyun was looking.

“Or… here?” His fingers went dangerously further down.           

“Oppa–”

“Gargh, just get to the business already!!” Woohyun shouted impatiently.

Once again the couple turned their eyes to him. Jieun reached up to her own ears and took out two earplugs.

"What are you yelling about?"

"W-what?"

Sunggyu started laughing out loud at Woohyun's flustered expression. "Sorry, but Jieun never heard anything from the start."

Upon realisation, the God of Light was so embarrassed that he failed to produce an appropriate comeback.

"Y-you... Ugh!"

Woohyun threw a ball made of light at Sunggyu, who easily dismantled the attack before it arrived.

"Argh. Whatever!" With a huff, Woohyun turned around and left.

"Oh, that was easy. What did you say?" Jieun asked. Her eyes had been covered up the moment Sunggyu turned her around.

"Nothing much. Just a little act, too much for a little kid to handle." He smiled, with a subtle hint of teasing.

"...I never knew you could be like this," Jieun said with amusement.

"Like what?" Sunggyu answered innocently.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭

DAY 49

“What should we do with the third wheel today, oppa?”

Sunggyu looked at her in confusion.

"Oh you know, he's going to come anyway. What should we do with him? You seem to enjoy his company too."

Sunggyu then looked at her even more bewilderedly and shot her a no-I-don't look.

"Don't you give me that look. I know you do." Jieun laughed softly at Sunggyu's funny facial expression.

Sunggyu chuckled and proceeded to tickle Jieun. "No I don't."

Jieun laughed hysterically. Sunggyu knew her soft spots and mercilessly attacked her. She fell backwards, pulling the guy along. Lying on top of each other, the two soon calmed down from their playing and looked each other in the eyes. The mood was set, and Sunggyu slowly moved towards Jieun, who instantly closed her eyes. But the kiss never came; instead, she heard a loud sound of someone falling next to her.

"Ya, if you know I'm coming then don't kiss her," Woohyun said with a tone of authority and a hint of jealousy. 

Sunggyu, who was kicked to the side, was groaning on the floor. But still, he managed to glare at Woohyun, who stood with his hands on his hips, unfazed by the glaring.

"You think I didn't notice you hiding in that bush nearby?" Sunggyu said with a smirk.

[A MOMENT AGO]

“Oh there they are. Don't think you can hide from me!” Woohyun smirked, “I'll just hide in a bush nearby and wait for the right opportunity to break in.”

After a short while, Woohyun was still in the bush watching the couple laughing in a tickle fight.

“Tch. How childish. Maybe I should just step in now.” He then imagined Jieun's reaction when she realised he had seen her in a vulnerable state, giggling in excitement at the thought. However, that all soon stopped the moment he saw the two slowly getting intimate.

As the two locked eyes with each other, Woohyun could felt a bang in his heart. Never once during his chase had he felt this feeling. It didn't matter how harshly Jieun had rejected him, but the scene of them about to kiss hurt him. Strangely, his eyes were glued on not Jieun's, but Sunggyu's lips – so strangely alluring that he thought he was under a spell. But the pain overwhelmed the excitement when he was constantly reminded of the fact that the two were engaged.

In Paradise, engagement and marriage are the same thing. They could choose a different term, but the concept was the same, for they could not produce offspring either way. Therefore, it didn't matter if they were engaged or married. There was no difference.

*Is this what they call jealousy?* Woohyun thought in his mind. *It can't be… If so, who am I jealous of?* He looked up at the two, about to kiss one another. His heart started to beat faster and faster, until he couldn't take it anymore and decided to jump out.

Woohyun’s face flushed at his words. He stuttered in reply as he looked to the side with his arms crossing over his chest, "W-what hiding? What bush? I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah–"

His voice trailed away. His words were cut short. His breath was taken away by the flawless figure standing in front of him at an uncomfortably close distance. The other was slightly taller than him. The look in his eyes was so enchanting and hypnotic that he felt himself drowning in pleasure looking into them.

They stared at each other in silence for what seemed like an eternity. Sunggyu simply stood there and stared into Woohyun's eyes. He never knew eyes could be so interesting. Jieun's eyes were beautiful, but they never sparkled or were addictive enough to make him feel like he couldn't pull away. There was something behind those innocent eyes – a mystery he could not explain.

"Um... Hello?"

A soft voice brought the two contestants out of their staring contest and back into reality.

"I'm not sure if you guys are fighting or not, but just get over it already. Don't leave me to the side!" The forgotten Jieun was not amused.

"Ya–" Woohyun clumsily attempted to push Sunggyu away, but the moment he touched the latter, an electric pulse ran through his body and his head started to ring.

[FLASHBACK]

"Oi, wait for me!"

"Hurry up you slowpoke!" A figure in a distance turned back, a bright light washing his face out of view.

"Ya, how can you call me a slow poke?"

The figure smiled at the protest. He reached out his hand and patted the other.

"Don't touch me or I'll splash water at you." He pouted.

The figure chuckled. "Now, now. You know the fire in me is hotter than anything, like my l–"

Suddenly a mixture of light and darkness was seen, forming a force strong enough to send the two gods flying away from each other.

Woohyun opened his eyes to slightly dusty air – the result of the explosion – and scanned the area for Sunggyu and Jieun. Neither was anywhere in sight. He squinted with one hand holding his head.

“Where did they go…?” Then he felt something rather soft underneath him. He looked down and saw Jieun trapped perfectly between his legs, and his hands were resting on an inappropriate area...

Jieun's face was red with anger.

"W-wait a minute. This... This is just a misunderstanding–"

“WILL YOU JUST DISAPPEAR ALREADY?! YOU PEST!"

*Day after day, that little arrogant shameless prick always managed to in between my lovely daily life with Sunggyu oppa. It didn't help that Sunggyu was getting used to his appearance and even invited him to join us once. Ugh! I need my privacy!* Jieun's frustration was at its peak.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭

DAY 75

“Jieun babyyyyy~” Woohyun jumped out from the air. Being the drama queen king that he was, Woohyun had never liked to teleport in a normal manner. He always loved to make a grand arrival by appearing slightly above the ground and jumped out the teleporting hole. He had landed in an unfamiliar area, which somewhat looked like a garden. Unlike the popular Holy Garden which was filled with life and colours, this garden produced a completely different feeling with its tranquility, low light and somewhat mystical feel, with a light fog drifting between old tree trunks and a decent amount of fireflies.

However, as Woohyun looked around, no one was in sight, “Huh? This is weird. Did I track down the wrong place?” He scratched his head in confusion as he looked around. “It can't be…”

Woohyun had always managed to track the couple down thanks to an invisible connection between him and Sunggyu, God of Darkness, as well as the alarming sense of the opposition element. When two gods of opposite elements are near each other, they will often be able to feel or sense a certain alarm sensation that warns them to stay away. In a sense, it is an instinct of danger.

“Where are they hiding?!” Woohyun raised his voice in frustration.

“Stop yelling. You're disturbing my sleep.” A low, sleepy voice sounded from above. Woohyun then cursed his own stupidity for not looking up as he found Sunggyu sleeping on a big branch of the old gigantic Banyan that stretched out across the sky. Woohyun immediately teleported himself to where Sunggyu was. In less than a second, he reappeared, crossing his arms, in front of the sleepy Sunggyu.

“Where is Jieun?” he demanded.

“...”

Woohyun frowned from the lack of response and kicked the other's leg. “Oi! Answer my question.”

The other grumbled and muttered in his sleep. Suddenly, a purple-black smoke appeared, surrounding Woohyun.

“W-what is this– Ya!” he shouted as the smoke completely wrapped around him and pushed him forward. Before he knew it, he had landed in Sunggyu's lap; the other god had his arms around Woohyun's waist.

“What is this all about?” he yelled as he squirmed around, trying to get away.

“Shhhh. Just let me sleep first…” Sunggyu mumbled, and held onto Woohyun tighter.

“I said– Mmmhh!” Woohyun was gagged with the earlier smoke, and the more he struggled, the more Sunggyu tightened his hold. Not wanting to die of suffocation, he decided to stay still and give in to the situation as he rested his head on Sunggyu's shoulder.

*Ugh. How lame!* Woohyun thought, annoyed. *Curse this bastard!* He glared at the sleeping figure. However, the more he glared at him, the more he couldn't take his eyes off him. The God of Darkness looked so innocent in his sleep, or so Woohyun thought.

*Hmm, without that cold as ice facial expression, he doesn't look so bad. His sleeping face makes him look like a teenage kid.* Woohyun judged him seriously as he stared at his profile. *His lips are not as thin as I thought… Wait, what I am thinking?! Argh!* He then looked down at the hands wrapped around him and tried to them out of curiosity. *Tch. His fingers are longer than mine, and more elegant, too. What a waste on a guy like him. I feel sorry for you fingers.* The sensation of Woohyun’s fingers his caused the latter to jerk and tighten the hold around Woohyun's waist even more.

“Mmmphhh!” Woohyun groaned in pain.

*Ya! You want me to die, bastard?!* After a long battle of cursing Sunggyu in his head, Woohyun soon became exhausted and fell asleep.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭

“Ahhh, that was a good nap,” Sunggyu said to himself as he stretched his arms. That was when he felt a weight on one of his shoulders. He looked down, expecting Jieun, but was greeted with the sight of the God of Light. The shock caused him to freeze for a while. When he had finally digested the information, he decided to stay still and let the other sleep some more. He then noticed the black smoke wrapped around his mouth and retrieved it immediately. He mumbled ‘I'm sorry’, guessing that he must have done something in his sleep. Jieun had always told him how pushy he could be when he was sleepy. He scolded himself for not having fixed the bad habit yet, but all thoughts faded away as he landed his eyes on the sleeping figure. The facial features were close to what one would call perfection. Every god here were the best of the best all around, but Woohyun's look was without a doubt among the most exceptional in terms of appearance. Sunggyu’s eyes stopped at the other's lips. He chuckled when the other mumbled something incoherent in his sleep. His hand unconsciously reached out to the full, plump lips. He felt a shock in his fingers the moment he touched Woohyun's lips, and immediately retracted his hand.

*What was that?!* Sunggyu thought in surprise. *Come to think of it, almost every time we touch one another, there seems to be some kind of electric force repelling us.*

He looked at the undisturbed sleeping figure in deep thought. *Could it be because we are opposite element gods? Or is there something else behind it…?*

He thought in silence for a while, and suddenly his face lit up as if he had remembered something important. *That time, when we first met, and the other time on Earth… What were those flashbacks all about?*

He stared at Woohyun with interest and decided to give it a try. He touched Woohyun's hand and closed his eyes to prepare for the incoming shock… but nothing happened. He opened his eyes slowly, wondering what had gone wrong. He decided to have another go, this time by touching Woohyun's neck. Once again, nothing happened. Another try with his face, and nothing happened. Sunggyu was perplexed by the situation and decided to have one last try with… Woohyun's lips. He slowly reached for Woohyun's lips in anticipation.

“What are you doing, ert?”

The voice surprised Sunggyu and he quickly retracted his hands.

“First, you decided to suffocate me, used me as your pillow, and now you want to ually assault me? Well played, God of Darkness!” Woohyun scoffed.

“What?! No! I-I… I was just…"

“See? You can't even come up with an excuse. I know I'm hot. I know I am, but do me a favor and control yourself against my hotness please.” Woohyun said arrogantly as he stood up in annoyance. With his back facing Sunggyu, he brushed off the dust on his clothes and took a deep breath.

“Hmmm. Been forever since I last took a deep breath BECAUSE SOMEONE WAS CHOKING ME!” Woohyun turned back and glared at the mortified Sunggyu.

“B-But I–"

“Save your words. Everyone is hopeless against my beauty. Fine, it's my fault for not being careful. Let's just stay at least five feet away from each other from now on.” With that, Woohyun disappeared into thin air after giving Sunggyu a look.

Sunggyu, who was left in bewilderment, could only mutter the words he never got to say: “But I just wanted to test the flashbacks…"

 

⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱

 

So, instead of practicing for my speech tomorrow, I'm back updating for you all xD Thank you so much for subscribing and upvoting the story! I'll be even happier with comments ;) Hope you guys enjoy this update and good luck with your exams!

(I'm going to die in mine T^T) 

EDIT: Opps, forgot to mention this. Congratulation to -Anita as the 100th subscriber & ilovesungyeolliestadhist and inspiritly_beauty as the most frequent commenters for getting a 250-words spoiler! 

I'll continue to do so in the future - randomly pick out THE MOST FREQUENT COMMENTER (and special place like 200th, 300th, etc subscriber/upvoter IF I notice or the person claim the position, so don't count on this too much) for some random spoiler varying from 250 to even 500 words! So makes sure to comment! 

NOTE: It's a special gift that can come at any time, so don't expect it for every chapter lol... 

 

SUPPORT ME BY SUBSCRIBING AND UPVOTING :)

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS OR ASK ME ANYTHING IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.