c03: The Chase I

This Everlasting Devotion

“WILL YOU JUST DISAPPEAR ALREADY?! YOU NASTY PEST! ”

It was an early morning with a clear blue sky and a nice cool breeze. Everywhere in Paradise was filled with the graceful poses of the Gods and their gentle smiles. The atmosphere was peaceful and relaxing, like one would expect of a paradise, except for one certain place. One that was darkened with killing intent and hatred.

“Seeing your face every single damn day makes me sick. Leave us at once!” Jieun screamed at the skirt-chaser, otherwise known as the annoying less-worthy-than-an-insect-poop thing (according the Goddess herself).

Her daily life routine had been disrupted ever since Woohyun appeared. If one were to ask her what Woohyun does best besides flirting, Jieun wouldn’t even hesitate for a second to say ‘being a third-wheel’ as she cursed him mentally for the nth time. 

If only I was the Goddess of Darkness... Jieun thought as she recalled the past few days.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭ 

DAY 1

“Sunggyu oppa, are you done with work?” Jieun asked cautiously, being careful not to disturb the man in question as she stepped into his private chamber.

The God of Darkness was sitting on his massive throne, the edges of which flickered like black flames. This was where he worked, preferably. In reality, gods and goddesses alike could do their jobs anywhere at any time. But Sunggyu specifically liked to have his own personal space where he could focus and stay away from any potential external influence. Seeing that Sunggyu still had his eyes closed, Jieun stayed put in silence after she had closed the door. When Sunggyu finally opened his eyes, he gently smiled at Jieun, who gladly return the smile as she proceeded to make her way towards him.

“Sorry, I just want to get a certain case over with,” Sunggyu said as he got off his throne.

“Is there a problem?” Jieun asked, having a close look at Sunggyu's complexion. It was as pale as ever since he doesn't get enough sunlight; but other than that, nothing seemed to be out of ordinary as she fixed his hair.

“Oh, nothing much. My successor, Dongwoo, was in a little trouble. I tried to help behind the scenes a bit.” Sunggyu smiled sheepishly.

“I see. You really are taking care of the human,” Jieun said with a bored tone, as they now made their way to the hallway side by side. The castle was very spacious and empty due to a lack of decoration, but Sunggyu liked it that way.

“Should I not have?”

“That’s not what I meant. It's just that us gods usually do not concern ourselves with the mortal world. It was surprising to see that you actually care.”

Sunggyu thought about it for a second before shrugging, “It's not like I had a special reason for it. No big deal.”

Jieun looked at the nonchalant man and smiled secretly. As expected. Did he think that I wouldn't notice his random acts of kindness? He should be the God of Kindness instead of Darkness!

The couple reached the front gate in no time, on their way to their long-awaited date on Earth. Since Jieun was always so busy with her works, this was one of the rare occasions where they could relax together. When Sunggyu opened the door and attempting to make way for Jieun like a gentleman that he was, a bunch of flower petals and glitters showered down on top of him as a giant bouquet of flowers was shoved in his face.

“My dear Goddess of Death, allow me to brighten up your world even just a little with these lovely flowers. Surrounding yourself with the dark doesn't do you justice as it only hides away your beauty. I, the God of Light, will gladly and honourably brighten it up.”

After a moment of awkward silence, with his vision completely obscured, Sunggyu mumbled a spell under his breath and the flowers immediately withered away. Noticing the colourful petals decaying at a rapid pace, Woohyun finally looked up – only to see that the face behind the rotting bouquet was not that of a goddess, but a face so cold that most would immediately flee upon seeing it. Woohyun, on the other hand, didn’t even budge.

“Tch.” He clicked his tongue as he stood up, brushing the dust off his knee.

With a snap of his fingers, all the girly pink decorations, which were oddly out of place by the castle of darkness, disappeared into thin air. Except those on Sunggyu’s head which came back to life even brighter than before rather mockingly. Sunggyu stared at him silently as he rotted the flowers away, but as he does so, they would just come back to life halfway through. Finally, the God of Darkness shot a deathly glare at Woohyun, who stubbornly glared back at him.

“Why are you here? You wasted my effort to set all these up.” Woohyun gritted his teeth, as the two continuously fought one another through the poor, innocent flowers.

“As if you actually set these up with your own hands anyway,” Jieun scoffed, as she stepped out from behind of Sunggyu’s back. The moment her eyes landed on him, she froze as her eyes widened. It wasn’t long before she burst out laughing.

Sunggyu gave her an odd look. “What’s so funny?”

When the God of Darkness finally realised the situation, his expression darkened and attempted to kill off the unfitting wildflowers sitting in his obsidian black hair. However, seeing Jieun laughing so contently made him hesitant to do so. It had been a long time since the last time he saw her laughing in such a refreshing manner. If donning these colorful flowers on top of his hair made her happy, he would gladly do so a little longer.

“Don't let anyone else see you like that,” Jieun reached out to Sunggyu’s hair with a giggle. Upon her touch, the flowers crumbled to ashes, just like how the dead bodies were burnt. Jieun then stood on her toes, her hands resting on Sunggyu’s shoulders for support – the latter also kindly lowered his head for her – and blew away the ashes remaining on his head. As she lowered herself back down, she patted Sunggyu’s head and smiled like a kind mother, before turning to the forgotten Woohyun with a 180˚ change in expression and glared at him.

“Leave. I do not enjoy those gross pink ribbons. I am not a Barbie doll,” she said sternly, turning on her heels and dragged Sunggyu away.

It was hard for Woohyun to even find Jieun to begin with and yet his well-planned plan backfired. Instead of earning Jieun's love and sympathy, all he got was a show of love between the couple. However, if he had given up then, then Woohyun wouldn’t be the (in)famous skirt chaser that he was. He shamelessly chased after the two and butted in between them. It didn’t matter that Jieun was neglecting him. His goal was to stick himself in between them if he wanted a chance, and that was what he intended to do no matter what.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭ 

DAY 9

“Hey, Sunggyu oppa.”

“Hmm?”

“Where would you like to go today?”

“How about Ea—”

“The Holy Palace’s Garden, because it’s so beautiful, just like you Jieun-ah.”

“…”

The couple turned to see Woohyun already sticking himself in between them, linking arms. Correction: Woohyun linked arms with Jieun; meanwhile, Sunggyu linked arms with… a floppy, slimy substance shaped similarly to Jieun. With a look of disgust, he immediately annihilated the “thing” and cleaned himself.

Obviously, the Goddess of Death didn't stand still. She reached for Woohyun's neck without hesitation but the latter dodged swiftly from experience.

“Aiya, you shouldn’t greet people by grabbing their neck.” Woohyun smiled brightly while carefully watching Jieun’s every move. After all, she wasn't the strongest goddess for show. Even if she could not kill him, there was no guarantee that it wouldn't hurt. Even for immortals such as himself, the pain was not welcome.

“You don’t even deserve a greeting,” Jieun sneered; a Spear of Death appearing in her right hand, as a translucent black mist surrounded her, signifying the activation of power.

Woohyun looked at the black spear in alarm. With a rather forced smile, he said, “Honey, put that dangerous toy away. Let’s not get bloody today.” Woohyun backed away slowly as Jieun took a step towards him.

Jieun smirked and raised the spear up in the air, preparing to throw it at Woohyun, who automatically went into a defensive pose. Putting up a shield, he squeezed his eyes shut as he hid his face behind his hands. Anxiously, he prepared for the impact, but the attack never came.

“Don’t, Jieun.” The Spear of Death dissolved into the air just as it left Jieun’s hand. Sunggyu reached out and held her arm down. The reprimanding look in his eyes was enough to calm Jieun’s anger down. It was no secret that the cold-hearted Goddess of Death’s temper was over the roof. Even the slightest mistake would irritate the beautiful goddesses right away. With a dejected look, she lowered her arm, dissipating the black midst, and mumbled ‘I’m sorry’ to Sunggyu. The latter simply smiled at her, knowing that she had realised her mistake. The man ruffled her hair tenderly and finished off with a pat.

“Good girl,” Sunggyu said. The God of Darkness then turned to Woohyun, who was still hiding behind the shield. Sunggyu chuckled, half in amusement, half in contemptuousness. This caused Woohyun to blushed in embarrassment as he quickly took down his shield.

“You shall not disturb us today,” Sunggyu declared before Woohyun could make any arrogant remarks like he usually did.

With that, on Sunggyu’s back grew a big pair of majestic raven wings. Stretched out to a span of nearly 2 meters, the wings immediately created a big impact as a display of power. Woohyun was completely awestruck as he stood there and stared, jaw-dropped. Rather than being impressed by Sunggyu's power, the God of Light was more interested in the beautiful pair of wings and just how befitting they were for Sunggyu. The huge wings sure did get a lot of attention but the main point of attraction was still the person who wore them. Woohyun couldn't take his eyes of the God of Darkness as he soared into the sky with Jieun in his arms.

“Ah, wait!” The God of Light was about to spread his wings as well, but he suddenly realized something was tugging his feet. Looking down, Woohyun saw a chain, which was not only keeping him on the ground but also limiting his use of magic. It was breakable, but would take a while to free himself due to the limitation on his magic.

“Argh. Ya!” He shouted in anger, as he struggled to break free.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭ 

DAY 25

"Hey oppa, I discovered this new wine a while ago. It has quite an interesting taste. Do you want to take a sip?”

"Alright." Sunggyu got up from the soft green grass that he had been lying on.

The couple was on a picnic down on Earth in a remote area unreachable by mankind. As Sunggyu reached his hand out, instead of receiving the glass of pink wine, what he received was a sudden pour down. It wasn't like a heavy rain nor a tornado. It was simply one small grey cloud on top of his head. Having a tiny cloud doing its best to pour down all the rain it had collected for what seemed like hundreds of years, Sunggyu stuck out like a sore thumb in the middle of a sunny day. It was as if while everyone else was enjoying the warm and bright sun, only he was stuck in an eternal storm as he felt a spark of electricity striking his hair. Drenched in the rain, Sunggyu froze in place in shock with his hand still reaching out; meanwhile, Jieun became flustered as she tried to get rid of the grey cloud. The prankster then appeared with the golden cup meant for Sunggyu in his hand and took a sip of the pinkness with delight.

“You're right, Jieun-ah. This is very sweet, just like you.” Woohyun smiled seductively as he his lips. His hand nonchalantly twirled the wine around.

“YOU!” Jieun glared at him and tried to snatch back the glass through telekinesis; however, Woohyun's grip on it was very tight.

“Let go,” Jieun commanded with a threatening scowl.

“So you can give it to that gloomy anti-social thing? Nah, nah, nah. It would be such a waste of such a good wine.”

Annoyed, Jieun decided to control Woohyun's hand so that he would spill the remainder of the cup onto his face. “Fine, since you like it so much, you can bathe in it,” she smirked as she began to chant her spells.

“Argh!” Woohyun yelped as he watched the pink wine flew towards him.

Serves you right! She thought before returning her attention back to Sunggyu. Her number one priority right now was to help him get rid of the darn raining cloud. Yet the moment she turned around, her trail of thoughts stopped on its track as did her breath.

The grey cloud above Sunggyu was now nowhere to be seen… nor were his clothes. The God of Darkness was always seen in a huge black cape that covered up the majority of his body; hence, nobody knew what was underneath. To Jieun's memory, Sunggyu had always worn a simple, plain long-sleeved black shirt with a pair of black pants underneath a more elaborate full-length cape decorated with subtle silver ornaments on the shoulder and the bottom slightly rippling. But now that the cape was gone, the god could be seen in wet, tightly fit clothing that defined his well-built figure. As if to tease his onlookers, Sunggyu ed his shirt in an elegant and slow manner that could drive one's hormones crazy. Once all were ed, he shrugged off the wet shirt swiftly and proceeded to dry his hair clumsily by shaking his head. He finished off by running his fingers through his hair, restyling it into a presentable look. His light grey eyes half opened and his lips slightly parted. Everything about the man screamed iness and charisma.

Woohyun was not spared from the unintentionally y-and-wet pose attack. He stood there stunned, with pink wine trickling down his face – completely forgot to take care of his own hot mess. The God of Light could feel his heart beating faster and faster as a surge of heat took over his body and mind. The first thing in his mind was not questioning whether why the God of Darkness didn't bother to use his power to change into a different outfit but rather how could one be so mesmerizing by doing something as simple as changing clothes.

Satisfied with his hair, Sunggyu finally noticed his fiancee and Woohyun had stopped bickering (ages ago) and that they were staring at him rather intensely. He raised an eyebrow and quickly checked himself to make sure nothing was wrong, oblivious to his own iness. Once he was assured that nothing was out of place, the God of Darkness then gave his audience a questioning look.

“Why are you staring at me?” The oblivious god asked, shooting his pheromones into the air as droplets of water rolled off his hair, trailing down his youthful yet ily mature face and further down to his modest abs.

Involuntarily, Woohyun gulped at the sight. When he realised what he had just done, he immediately shook his head in disbelief as he began chanting to himself.

You have a better body than he does. Get a grip, Woohyun! But… he truly is the epitome of y… Wait, no! You are! You're the hottest guy in Paradise. The best. The coolest...

“THE IEST!” Woohyun yelled out loud with a victory pose as he looked up into the sky, his fist pumping towards the sun.

Only then did he realise what he was doing or how unflattering his stance was. Glancing to the side, he could see Jieun looking at him with annoyance, while Sunggyu had a puzzled look on his face. Embarrassed, Woohyun resumed a normal standing pose, this time not forgetting to refresh his appearance with a spell.

“Ahem!” The poor God of Light looked left and right, trying to think of an excuse for his not-so-cool behavior.

“Pfft… Haha.”

Suddenly, Woohyun heard a laugh. It was his very first time seeing Sunggyu laugh. His eyes turned into crescent moons as his smile spread, revealing his cute white teeth. Though short, it was almost as if the gloomy anti-social freak had turned into the most irresistibly cute guy he had ever seen in Paradise (besides himself).

“Y-you're laughing…” Woohyun pointed his finger at the other in disbelief.

“Of course he can laugh. He just doesn't overdo it like a certain someone here,” Jieun mocked, used to the fact that people were always surprised when they first saw her fiance laughing. She was well aware of how attractive Sunggyu could be when he wasn't always wearing that cold expression of his. She was proud, yet at the same time disliked the way people reacted. After all, the Goddess of Death didn't like to share her fiance.

Meanwhile Sunggyu, who realised he had unintentionally laughed, immediately put the cold face back on. “Ahem!”

It was then that a thought intruded his mind as he shifted towards Jieun. With his fingers on her chin, Sunggyu turned her face towards him and leaned in closer.

“Oi, what are–"

Ignoring Woohyun's protesting, he continued to lean in until their noses were touching. Jieun was frozen stiff as her cheeks flushed, half in embarrassment half in excitement.

Sunggyu looked straight at her face and his lips. “Like what you see?”

Oh how Jieun wished she could dig a hole and hide in it or turn the day to night so she could hide her beet red cheeks. Without a word, she desperately tried to look away. Little did she know that her reactions only made Sunggyu more amused. He had never seen the goddess so flustered before!

“You want to have a closer look?”

 

⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱

 

Hey guys, thank you for waiting. I typed this chapter furiously during Thanksgiving break, and it ended up being 5000 words long (o.O) so I decided to cut it into two parts. I'll upload the next part soon. Possibly next week. Comment if you want it sooner ;) Come on guys, I know you want to have a closer look at Sunggyu. (Spoiler: it going down from his lips to...) See you all soon~ :P 

P.s/ I may die from Finals and revision so you definitely want it sooner (i.e. comment!) or you're risking chances of waiting till December *incoming evil laugh* Muahahaha. No. I'm not threatening you. Why would I? *looks away innocently*

 

SUPPORT ME BY SUBSCRIBING AND UPVOTING :)

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS OR ASK ME ANYTHING IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.