The life of a stranger

Dear Myself

It's with trepidation and a growing sense of impending doom that Sehun slings his backpack over his shoulder, knocking the toes of his shoes against the floor to check that they're on properly. This is it. He thinks to himself as he takes hold of the door handle. It's time to face the world and the mess his' other' self has made of his life. Behind him Kris waits patiently, swinging his keys around pinky while Sehun tries to muster up the nerve to open the door. "I can't do this."

"Yes, you can." Kris assures him, resting a hand on his shoulder. "It'll be weird at first, but it's not as bad as you think."

"But..."

"Mum's already contacted your school, and I'll tutor you to get you up to speed. So don't worry."

"What about my friends?" Sehun asks, struggling to keep his nervves from getting the best of him. "I don't even know half of them."

Kris laughs and pats Sehun's shoulder. "You already know half of them, and the rest of them..." He trails of for a moment. "They're good kids." Sehun somehow doubts that. "and I'm sure they'll understand." There's a waiver in Kris' voice that betrays him. He's not completely sold on what he's telling Sehun and that just makes things worse.

With a gentle push Kris nudges Sehun forward, "Come on, before you're late, or mum will kill me."

Sehun inhales deeply, swallowing his nerves and with all the enthusiasm of a deathrow inmate taking their final long walk, he opens the door and steps outside. A pale bue Nissan Skyline with a custom body kit and after market rims is parked in the drive way and Sehun gives his step-brother a disbelieving look as Kris walks round to the driver-side.

"What?" He asks defensively as he climbs in behind the wheel. "Get in."

Laughing to himself Sehun opens the back passenger door, throwing his bag on the back seat where he opened it up and pulled out a battered school diary before climbing into the passenger seat. He raises his eyebrows at the black and electric blue interior upholstery. "Pimp much?" He asks, not bothering to mask his amusement.

"Shut up." Kris hisses as he turns the ignition, and house music starts up in the back. "Like you can laugh, Rainbow Dash."

"Hey!"

"What? It's true."

Setting the diary on his lap, Sehun reaches round and belts himself in, stung by the reminder about his hair colour. "Your taste in music still ."

"Like yours has gotten any better." Kris retaliates, the hint of a laugh on the edge of his voice. "At least what I listen to actually has rhythm and a melodie."

"Yeah 'other' me's taste in music really does , doesn't it."

"Yeah, and a couple of days ago you would have killed me for saying it." Kris laughs, pulling out into the street, glancing over at Sehun as his younger brother studied the school diary. "A couple of days ago you wouldn't be wearing a tie to school."

"A couple of days ago I wasn't me." Sehun says, looking over the class time table pasted in the front cover of the diary. None of the subjects really suprise him. He's got the basics: Korean, Maths, Science, Social Studies and History. Admittedly at levels lower than he would have anticipated for his second year of highschool. He really had become a flunking delinquent. His electives - Music, Art, Drama and Dance, though not suprising considering what he currently knew about his 'other' self, where not subjects Sehun would have chosen himself. They weren't the kind of subjects one studied if you had any intention of sitting a university entrance exam. "I've become a no-hoper, haven't I?"

"No," Kris answers. "Your priorities changed. That's all."

"My priorities! What priorities?" Sehun asks pointedly. "This is not the timetable of someone with priorities."

Up ahead the traffic lights turn red and Kris sighs as he brings the car to a stop. "You did have priorities, just not the ones you had before the accident." He says strongly as he looks Sehun in the eyes. "You might not have wanted to go to university, but you still had priorities, dreams, aspirations."

"I was a delinquent, Kris. I dyed my hair, maybe even smoked." There's a bitter taste on the back of Sehun's tongue at the thought. "What priorities could I have possible had?"

"Being a good friend, maybe. Being a decent human being to others, I don't know. You need to stop judging yourself and jumping to conclusions about the kind of person you were."

"What am supposd to do? Someone else was living my life and they've screwed it up. I had plans."

"Well, sometimes plans change. The sooner you come to terms with that and accept it the easier things will be."

The light changes and Kris turns back to the road, leaving Sehun to think about what had been said. But I don't want to accept this life. Sehun thimks to himself as he looks down at the school diary in his lap. This isn't the life I wanted.

The next ten minutes pass in silence as Sehun flips through the pages of the diary, reading through scribbled, adhoc notes about assignments amongst doodles and conversations between the 'other' Sehun and his friends.

Boooooooored~  Says a messy scrawl across the top of one page in red pen. Underneath 'Me tooooo' is written in a slightly neater hand that Sehun recognised as his own.

Cravin' a .

Same.

Ciggy break next period?

Can't, got a test (-_-)

Skip it.

Nah.

Come ooooooooooooooooooooooooon~

Nah, I'm on probation.

(0.0) Since when?

Since I missed the last one. Miss one more and my mum gets called in.

And.......

I'll get grounded.

So....

So that means no coming over.

Ah,

Yeah.

Can I still bum a cig off you anyway?

What about the one under your collar?

Smoked it (^v^)

When?

Before class, lol.

Fine, back pocket. ONLY one.

Luv you too.

.

(^V^*)

"Here we are" Kris announces as the car pulls up outside the front gate of Sehun's high school. "And there's Kai."

"Where?" Sehun asks looking at the group of highschoolers crowded by the gate.

"The one with the corn-rows." His step-brother points out, indicating a tall brunette with his hair knotted in tight corn-rows with blonde tips that ran the length of his head, school jacket slung over his shoulder and tie loosely tied around his neck. From what Sehun can see Kai is talking animately with a group of boys, all in various states of deliquent dress.

"Alright, out you get. You'll be fine with Kai, he's got most of the same classes as you. ." Kris prompts, reaching into the back seat, grabbing Sehun's bag and passing it to his younger step-brother. "I'll pick you up after school."

Sehun hesitantly accepts the bag, taking a deep breath he climbs out of the car and makes his way over to Kai and his group of friends. As he approaches Kai looks up and spots him, sending him a smile and a nod as he continues recounting something that had apparently happened last night. Noticing Kai's glance one of the boys in the group turns back, looking over his shoulder. It's the red-head from the photos on his phone - it's hard to miss the fake frames he's wearing - except his hair is now a dirty blonde. "Hunnie" He calls as he steps back, throwing an arm over Sehun's shoulder and pulls him into the group. The boy's taller than Sehun had expected from their selfies, standing closer to half a head taller then Sehun.

As Sehun steadys himself under the boy's arm the red-head, now blonde, leans in closer and in a low voice by Sehun's ear asks. "Feelin' better?" There's a strange accent to the boy's words as though he's emphasising the wrong syllables and using more inflections than necessary. "Bit worried when ya didn't show yest'y."

Unsure how best to answer Sehun settles on a vague answer. "Yeah, kind of. Still a little out of it though."

For a moment the blonde looks worried, then presses the back of his free hand to Sehun's forehead. "Sure ya should be at school then?"

The blonde's attention is a little too much in Sehun's personal space, so he shrugs the boys arm off non-commitally and steps back. "Yeah, I'll be fine, just, you know..." He trails off under the blonde's scrutiny, but is saved when a hand lands on his shoulder.

"Sehun! How you feeling? Tao said you'd been unwell yesterday." Kai asks, stepping round to Sehun's side.

"As if." Another boy - a senior judging by the badge on his collar with sharp cheek bones and a crucifix dangling from his right ear - says. "He was just skipping out on yesterday's game."

"What?" Sehun asks, confused. "What game?"

"The three on three we planned yesterday. Last week you were boasting about how you three" The senior gestures to Sehun, the blonde next to him and Kai.  "were the best players in the school. So I bet you that we" He gestures at the two other seniors next to him. "could beat you in a game."

"Oh."

"Yeah," Kai says. "and now you're here we can kick Hyungs' asses."

"Sure" Sehun agrees tentitively. He has no idea what game they are referring to, but he's pretty convinced that whatever it is he's hopeless at it.

"Fine, see you on the courts at lunch." The senior states as the morning bell rings.

As they part ways, Kai takes Sehun by the shouldesr and leads him through the gate, the blonde following closely on Sehun's left. "Finally!" Kai exclaims, clenching his fist in front of his chest as he steps away from Sehun with a pat on his back. There's a bounce to his step as he walks. "I've been waiting all weekend to show Chen-hyung, who the kings of the court are."

As Sehun watches Kai run through some of his moves as the walk to class, he feels a hand slip around his waist and suddenly he's being pulled snug into the blonde's side. Startled Sehun looks up at the blonde, who's smiling down at him. "Catch you at recess, okay?" Sehun barely processes that the blonde has spoken before he's being kissed, short and sweet, with a gentle squeeze of his waist. By the time Sehun's mind catches up with what has happened the blonde is already leaving him behind. He's stunned, speachless and standing in the middle of the hallway like an idiot.

A guy just kissed him. A guy he doesn't know just kissed him. Suddenly Sehun feels light headed, whoozy, and sick to his stomach. He makes a break for the bathroom before Kai even notices that something's wrong.