Pancake

The Best Years

A word of caution: I..wrote most of this around 10 PM, and since I received 3.5 hours of sleep last night, I'm not sure any of this makes sense. It's almost time for bed for me. ^^;;

________

You pressed the little button on top of your iPod, illuminating the screen from within. Your fingers flew with practiced motions, sliding your finger along the sensitive screen to unlock the device. Your eyes scanned the screen, locking onto the small yellow icon of a white ghost. The pad of your finger transferred its heat to the point on the screen, launching the app.
 
"姐姐, what are you doing?" asked 爱 爱.
 
"Just checking my notifications. Hold on a minute and I'll make lunch for you," you replied distractedly.
 
A new Snapchat notification. From Park Chanyeol.
 
"I..uh, don't you think we should wait for mom?"
 
"Aren't you hungry?" you asked, lifting your eyes temporarily from the screen. "It's not hard to make ramen."
 
爱 爱 smiled with uncertainty, muttering. "It may not be, but sometimes, it looks difficult."
 
"Hmm? Did you say something?"
 
"Nope!" she chirped, walking out of the room in case her tummy decided to betray her and make its dissatisfaction known to you and the rest of Texas.
 
You shrugged, dipping your head to your screen, tapping the new Snapchat, and holding it open. A massive wall of text, messily handwritten by Chanyeol, commanded your attention, nearly causing a sensory overflow. In a frenzy, you tried to absorb all the green letters, but that darned giant had set the time limit to two seconds. Mentally, you slapped him. You'd been unable to read 90% of the file. But one line had grabbed your attention, reeling you in with its blue font, so drastically different from the lime green of the rest of the message.
 
"I like you."
 
 
 
"What do you think?" Kyungsoo asked, his melodiously smooth voice breaking through the fog of thoughts surrounding your mind.
 
"About...?" you replied.
 
You shook your head slightly, mentally freeing yourself from the haze of happiness that you'd determined was merely a daydream. Internally, you groaned, disappointed that it was yet another vivid fragment of your overly active imagination, which you were convinced was out to kill you. 'Death by feels' had a nice ring to it.
 
"She was lost in her food," I remarked, hands trying to grasp at the cookie that Jongin had taken from my bag, held far enough away to taunt me.
 
"She was lost in her daydreams,"  said Minseok, taking a sip of Luhan's coffee, resulting in Luhan lightly whacking the elder on the shoulder.
 
"She was lost in my eyes," chimed in Chanyeol, smirking so that his dimple showed, so deep that it looked like it could hide change.
 
Simultaneously, Yifan and Baekhyun smacked Chanyeol on the back of his head while you threw a wadded up napkin at his forehead. Sadly, you hadn't taken into account the fact that the napkin was so light, and therefore didn't have enough momentum to go forth and smack Chanyeol's face. Despite the fact that Chanyeol's head was knocked forward due to the blunt forces that were the energetic beagle and the self-proclaimed Picasso.
 
Never mind the fact that you were sitting right next to him.
 
I laughed, eyes forming crescent shapes, mouth falling open at your attempt to punish Chanyeol. Next to me, Jongin leaned back, eyes shut tightly, a cute laugh bubbling out of him. Lightly biting the inside of your cheek, you fought down the urge to join us in merriment, suppressing the urge to let loose the peal of laughter.
 
"I only missed because of the breeze," you mumbled quietly.
 
"If that's what you're comfortable thinking, you can say that," I managed to choke out.
 
Flushing, you shoved me lightly, causing me to lean on Jongin while we both continued laughing. Throwing a grape at us, you brooded silently. [A/N: I just like the word. It's a bit too harsh for this scene. ^^;;]
 
"FOOD FIGHT!" boomed Jongdae, scooping up a spoonful of rice, cocking it back in his spoon.
 
"No!" everyone chorused together, holding up their hands in a pitiful line of defense against Jongdae and yet another one of his mischievous ploys.
 
"Remember what happened last time you started a food fight, Jongdae?" asked Joonmyun exasperatedly, cautiously lowering his hands.
 
"You made a mess of the patio," recalled Sehun.
 
The patio had been littered with various bits and chunks of food, accompanied by numerous utensils and wadded up napkins. The chairs had become askew and even a table was flipped over. What started as an 'innocent' bout of entertainment became Food War III. Not only were piles of food left forgotten, but everyone had become tangled together, legs laced through other body parts -- a huge, writhing mass of humans. Though, the mess looked like it'd been created by a herd of T-Rexes.
 
"Poor Beibei had ended up smooshed underneath Chanyeol," said Baekhyun.
 
"I'm surprised she didn't become a pancake. It's too bad that it took so long for everyone to untangle themselves," sighed Xiumin.
 
"I-it's fine, I was okay," you managed to say.
 
"It was definitely the highlight of her year," said Chanyeol winking. "Getting to lay underneath this hot bod. Anyone with a pulse would die to get under this beautiful creation."
 
He stood up, grandly gesturing up and down his body as the rest of us rolled our eyes.
 
"If they were willing to die to 'get underneath this beautiful creation'," I said, "they wouldn't have a pulse and therefore couldn't die to get under you."
 
A brief moment of silence hung in the air around the table before Yifan laughed. "She's got you there."
 
Chanyeol pouted, eyes landing on you, silently asking you to support him. You turned your head away quickly, for you knew that once you got in, everything would come gushing out like a broken dam. You turned back to the conversation that had continued without your or Chanyeol's input.
 
"Jongin was lucky that Lily pulled him away before things got out of hand," remarked Yixing.
 
"Yeah. Because he wasn't here, he didn't have to help clean up," said Yifan, jealously bubbling up at the memory of having to stay after school for two hours to scrub the patio clean of any evidence.
 
"I bet Jongin didn't miss any of the action, here or otherwise," hinted Luhan, winking suggestively. "He probably saw more action than we did."
 
Blushing, I swung my legs around, standing up and fixing my clothes. I headed back towards the cafeteria, murmuring something about getting a napkin, leaving Jongin to deflect any and all questions aimed at him.
 
"But I have a whole bunch right--" Zitao cut off, waving the stack of napkins that Sehun had given to him earlier. It was pasta day, and Zitao was known for going overboard: when alone, acting, eating. And he never disappointed. He didn't garnish his pasta with sauce and cheese.
 
He had sauce and cheese with a handful of pasta.
 
"Anyways, the eleven of us decided to stay behind and help you clean up even though you were the one ordered to do so alone by the teacher on duty," said Yifan. "I had better things to do."
 
"Like take me to the Gucci store?" asked Zitao.
 
"I didn't take you to the Gucci store."
 
"Then you should."
 
Yifan and Zitao continued their light bickering, going back and forth like an endless game of ping pong. One would lob a verbal volley over the imaginary net between them while the other hurled it back with equal vigor.
 
Jongdae sighed. "Do you think they'll ever stop?"
 
You scoffed. "No."
________
 
Yehet. Turned 219 words into 1214. /fist pump/
 
Sadly, you can tell that I started trailing off near the end. ; u; I'm really sorry! This isn't my favorite chapter, because it's not nearly as interesting or descriptive. I'll go back and edit it at some point~
 
( Watch me forget. )
 
just si is you all know, I wrote the napkin throwing part before realizing that Gloria was sitting next to Chanyeol. And I was too lazy to change it. I don't think anyone has such poor aim