#7 The Directors

Love at Victoria Falls

The night before Taeyeon was to return back to her workplace was a restless one for the disgraced Director.

Taeyeon, unable to settle her disquieted spirit then turned to her roommate for consolation, “Hey Yoona,” the girl started uncertainly.  

“What’s up Taeng?” Yoona spoke while munching on her bag of chips, she was sprawled on her couch and was oblivious to Taeyeon’s feelings of apprehensiveness.  

“What if I don’t do a good job tomorrow?” Taeyeon asked worriedly.

Yoona had not heard the girl the first time and chuckled heartily as a funny scene comes on the television. The disgruntled Taeyeon had to resort to squeezing the laughing girl’s arm to get her attention.

“Ouch!” Yoona whined and crisps flew out of . “Come again? I did not catch what you have said.”

“That is because you care so little about my feelings.” Just like Tiffany. Taeyeon thought bitterly to herself.

Yoona pouted and let out several cute noises to coo her friend, surprised that it had taken longer than usual to placate the upset girl.

“Well... they’d probably suspend your duties again I guess,” Yoona spoke honestly but made sure to wrap her arms around Taeyeon for comfort.

A look of pure worry washed over Taeyeon’s face and Yoona could not help but let out a small laugh. “Actually, Taeyeon, you should not worry so much. That is unlikely to happen and besides, you’re still highly sought after, aren’t you? Probably not by boys but a lot of company still wants you. I have no idea why you let your company suspend you and stayed on though. You could have just left.” Yoona had thrown in the last sentence to lighten her friend’s mood but did not know that it had not expected it to have the opposite effect.

Not only unsought after by boys but also played by a girl. Taeyeon could not help but link all of her experiences to Tiffany and she only wished that she could block that girl from invading her mind.

“It is a matter of principle. I cannot just shirk my responsibilities and move on to another company as if nothing has happened. I still get nightmares from time to time.” The seriousness in Taeyeon’s voice and the tears that were brought to her eyes by her ashamed confession worried Yoona.

Yoona hugged her friend tighter. “I know I know. You will get better someday.” Yoona was beginning to wonder why her roommate had become so emotional after her return from the trip and was determined to brighten up Taeyeon’s mood.

Taeyeon leaned against her friend and was immediately reminded of Tiffany once more. How she felt when she was in Tiffany’s embrace was drastically different from how she felt in her friend’s arms now. I need to really stop thinking about her, it has been weeks. How can she not contact me at all? She really is a coward, no she is a jerk. Taeyeon scolded herself angrily.

**

The Creative Director who was so often dubbed as a ‘pocket watch’ had been unexceptionally late on that day of filming. She blamed those memories she had of her recent trip for keeping her up during the past few nights and finally taking a toll on her. Yet, she had entered the filming studios with her usual air of confidence and authority and was unsurprised to find out that everything had already been set up. The Creative Director spied the filming crew and what she knew must be the Film Director that she was to work with sitting behind a large monitor and blocking her face from Tiffany’s view. The Filming Crew seemed to be experiencing some disagreements amongst themselves. All Tiffany could make out was the undoubted feminism of the Director’s built.

A female? Tiffany’s eyes narrowed in dissatisfaction. The Creative Director could not help but impose society’s unfair judgement of competence based on gender even though she was a female herself.

The Creative Director then decided to post-phone her introduction to the filming crew for later and proceeded on to receive updates from her assistants and survey the setup.

Tiffany gave a reminiscent smile at her story board that was pinned up on a board in the Filming Ground. Taeyeon would have liked to see this. Then she grimaced when she saw the green screen and remembered that the background of the famed Victoria Falls would have to be added in via computer effects. Tiffany almost had the urge to suggest for their entire cast and filming crew to go down to the actual site for the best outcome for the advertisement.

After half an hour of heated discussion amongst the filming crew, which Tiffany had not wish to embroil herself in, the Creative Director’s assistant came flustered to Tiffany.

"Tiffany, the director wants to have a word with you regarding a particular scene." Her assistant spoke with very much care.

"What about?" Tiffany was trying very hard to reign in her annoyance at the delay.

"Some safety issues, she wants to talk to you personally,” her assistant winced as she anticipated the onslaught of Tiffany Hwang’s rage but there was none.

The creative director merely let out a frustrated huff and strode towards where the said Filming Director was leaving her assistant to blink her eyes in bewilderment. Our Creative Director has changed.

"I don't care how noble this scene is nor how great a feat it would be for me if the shot comes out successful. Safety is an issue here and unless you guys had hired professionals for this, I would not risk the models to take this shot." The Film Director, with her back profile to Tiffany, spoke uncourteously to one of Amoeba’s staffs.

Tiffany thought the raised voice of the Film Director was extremely familiar and that had almost stopped her in her tracks for a moment. However, thinking that her ears must have been playing tricks on her, the Creative Director resumed with business.

"What is this commotion about?!" Tiffany intervened, trying to gain the upper-hand of this situation. 

The Film Director whipped about sharply and both the Directors froze in place with their mouths agape when their eyes had met.  

The surprise from this unexpected reunion after their encounter at Zimbabwe had stolen words from both their mouths and muddled their minds.

T-Taeyeon? This cannot be.

Anger was soon apparent in Taeyeon’s eyes while guilt was in Tiffany’s.   

**

Taeyeon stabbed at the sausage in her takeaway lunch box with a plastic fork as she glared maliciously in the direction of Tiffany Hwang. The other Director seemed to have developed a sudden interest in the props after their brief reunion just a few moments ago. Taeyeon could never forget that look of shock and that look of guilt in Tiffany’s eyes. The Film Director had almost discarded her professionalism and stormed out of the Filming Studio in fury but that care that she still had for Tiffany made her stay. Now however, Taeyeon was almost regretting her decision to stay for the project for Tiffany had once again abandoned her.

Tiffany could feel the Film Director staring daggers at her and she could not help but turn away, trying to avoid her stares as much as possible by doing random things. She had promised herself that she would contact the girl but there was no longer a need for that, fate has brought them back together, not in the most pleasant way though. Tiffany cringed as she reflected back on her reaction from earlier. Her expression was of pure shock, likened to how a jerk who had coldly abandoned her girlfriend would react from seeing her once again. Actually the abandoning part was very applicable. Tiffany sighed as she flipped through the clothing articles with no apparent interest.

The filming crew as well as all the others involved were on indefinite break until the two Directors had managed to resolve the troubling safety issue at hand. There was no progress however, as the two Directors had refused to talk to each other after their encounter and it puzzled them.

Both Directors were known to their employees as decisive and capable problem-solvers yet nothing was being discussed and much less done. The other team members soon guessed that the two must have had been in some conflict with one another and had decided that they are required to salvage the situation.

“Ms Hwang, are you looking for something? Can we help you?” The Wardrobe Artiste asked timidly, worried about the tension in the air.

“N-No, it’s nothing, I can manage this myself, thank you,” Tiffany replied hastily, and s her way deeper into the make-up room, almost knocking over some racks in her way.

Taeyeon cursed inaudibly under her breath, her sight never leaving the flustered Creative Director until she had fully disappeared out of her sight but even so, she continued cursing. It was not until her phone rang that she stopped.

“Taeyeon!” The caller squealed into her ears causing the Film Director to flinch.

“Damn it! What is it Yoona?! I am busy here!” Taeyeon spoke irritably into the receiver.

“Oops… Sorry…”

Taeyeon could mentally picture the doe-eyed girl sticking out her tongue in an apologetic way and that calmed her down a bit.

“Sorry Yoona, I am just tired… What is it that you want to tell me?” Taeyeon’s voice softened.

“I know you are tired, I can tell from your voice, but don’t forget we have a sleepover party tonight! Seohyun is already here with me to help with the food and Sooyoung is at the supermarket buying truckloads of alcohol. Ouch…”

Taeyeon could hear Seohyun, the youngest and most decent girl in their clique lecturing the doe-eyed girl about drinking too much. The Film Director could not help but let out a chuckle.

“Seohyun just hit me…” Yoona complained.

“You deserved it,” Taeyeon commented coldly but could not help but chuckled again when she heard the girl’s wails. “Okay, okay, I get it. I will try to be home earlier! Save some beer for me,” Taeyeon added cheerily.

The girl on the other line let out a cheer before they say their goodbyes.

The Creative Director had been hiding behind the curtains of the make-up room, observing the actions of the other director. A smile was brought into her face when she saw how Taeyeon had chuckled so light-heartedly like how she did in Zimbabwe. She really looks better when she is happy.

The Film Director then decided to pull herself and her team together and suddenly clapped both hands together to gather all their attention before giving a slew of instructions. “Come on guys, we will film those scenes that do not require the use of safety cables first with or without the cooperation of Amoeba’s team.

Tiffany could sense Taeyeon’s provocations towards her and almost wanted to rebut that shorty. Almost. Fortunately, she had remembered that she had no rights to be angry at the Director since she was the party at fault, be it on a personal or work level. She could only watch quietly by the side as the Film Director and her filming crew work expertly.

As the hours go by, Tiffany found herself in awe at Taeyeon’s work of professionalism. Despite her young age, the level of concentration and skills displayed by the Film Director was out-of-worldly and could even compete with the best directors Tiffany had previously worked with. The Creative Director found herself unable to contain her surprise as they reviewed the video shots that were taken. They were simply marvellous and so artful that Tiffany believed that it would be the envy of many veteran Film Directors.

The Creative Director soon realised she had been instinctively throwing occasional glances at Taeyeon taking advantage of her deep concentration with reviewing her own shots. Tiffany also took note that the Film Director, did not seem too satisfied with her own shots despite her crew members and Amoeba’s team’s praises for her.

In fact, the crease between Taeyeon’s brows grew deeper as she watched the scenes she had taken. Some element is still missing. The director thought to herself but she knew not what exactly these scenes lack of. More shots were taken and retaken then followed by reviewing of shots. The cycle repeated and hours passed. The shots turned out well and were commended upon yet the Film Director’s dissatisfaction only grew.

Not noticing how much time had passed, the Film Director had requested for certain parts to be retaken again but was politely reminded by her filming crew of the time. They had overrun by two hours and it was well past midnight.

“WHAT?!” Taeyeon jumped when she saw the time on her watch and saw the tired expressions on her work partners nodding back sullenly at her. “Oh my god, you guys should have reminded me earlier! Pack up guys!” The director began packing up hastily and had not notice that she had dropped a set of keys. The girls are going to kill me!

 

**

A/N:

Hahahaha well... I know it was apparent in the previous chapter that TaeNy were going to work together for this particular assignment but it still excites me to write this chapter and I hope you guys liked this chapter even though it narrated of their conflicts. 

xD They finally met again and there is a minor role reversal from since the events at Zimbabwe. Taeyeon being the hostile one while Tiffany assuming the role of the meeker one. Serves Tiffany right eh? So much for abandoning a girl in a hotel room. One of the comments from the reader talked about how this seemed like a one night stand scene and I agreed very much to it. 

Keehee. okay. so well. as the chapter progresses we find that despite her hostility, Taeyeon still cannot shed her klutzy character and had forgotten. Naturally, she would be forced to return to the Amoeba's Studios and well... who knows what she will see/meet again there. xD

okay that is about all I have for this chapter. Am currently in the midst of heavily editing the next chapter. orz as you guys might have noticed, the length of this series has increased by around 2-3 chapters. Contrary to what I thought at the beginning, the revisions I have made are quite heavy so I really appreciate it if you guys can hang out for a while more :)

Thank you for reading up to this chapter. Also, thank you for the upvotes, subscribes and comments <3 

Seeya guys soon :)