Spur of the Moment (JeTi)

My Playlist Chronicles

 

 

Spur of the Moment

 

Inspiration from:

Landon Austin's

Where We Used to Run

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was only 12 noon when Jessica felt the whole world pressing over her head. Her department received all the blame for a single mistake during their on-site operation two weeks ago that nearly lost them their biggest client. But she received most of the reproof since well, she's the manager.

She lightly massaged her temples while thinking where could be the cause of this turmoil. Thankfully, she's friends with the client that's why she and their company were given another chance. She closed her eyes for a moment in attempt to sleep the problem off.

A knock came in but Jessica didn't move a muscle. Whoever that is will get out once I didn't respond.

The door rasped open.

"Jess?” A small, gentle and familiar voice made her eyes shot open.

"Hm?" Jessica said with smile, her eyes closing once more.

"I missed you." Tiffany sat across her.

"Then?" Jessica was never the type to reply sweet remarks with equally sweet words. Never a talker but always good in actions. But this time she's just too tired to move. She missed her too. She missed having Tiffany around. The girl had a knack of making everything better.

Both of them got busy lately and they spent lesser time together. She wanted to go nack to their old, foolish selves when nothing else mattered but them. They matured and grew up, leaving everything behind. things changed but surely, how she felt for Tiffany didn't.

The girl noticed the lack of movement from Jessica but went on with her talking. "I know you're tired. But can you please come with me for a lunch outside?" She said, with hopes in each word she uttered. "My treat?" She added when she got no response.

The other girl combed her silky brown hair with her hand as she sat upright with a grin on her face. "Where to?"

"Hm, I have no idea yet."

"..." Jessica stared at Tiffany blankly. Her grin eventually drew into a straight line.

"Western?"

The shorter girl stood up. With one last look with herself on the small mirror pinned on her wall, she spun around to face the girl she also missed. "What are you waiting for?"

 

---

 

"You. " Jessica squinted, her hands in fists. "Sneaky little-"

"Come on, Jess." Tiffany stopped the engine off the road, her hands still on the steering wheel. "Just this once."

"Work Tiff."

"We've been working our off for years!" The other girl argued.

They were in the middle of nowhere, with just a vast space of waters around them, their office outfits and phones with no reception.

Tiffany volunteered to just buy them sandwiches at a nearby mini mart when the only western restaurant three blocks away from their building was full.

And in that spur of the moment, when she's alone with Jessica, she thought maybe they could fly for a while. Away from their busy lives, away from their demanding bosses and away from stress.

She grinned at her best friend as she handed her the paper bag filled with sandwiches, chips and fruit juices in plastic bottles.

It was weird for Jessica to see Tiffany looking joyous in spite of their dilemma at their office. She shrugged it off thinking that maybe the girl had a good night's sleep.

Tiffany then drove off away from the city, too much in Jessica's surprise. And now, they're fighting.

"Your argument's not acceptable Stephanie." The brown haired girl bluntly stated. They've gotten too far to back out. She knew.

"I told you I miss you." Tiffany suddenly said in a low voice. "And it was true. You're tired, I'm tired. Maybe a little break could help us."

"..."

Tiffany deflated. "Okay. If you really wanna go back, we'll go back.  But if you want to return at the beach where we used to go, play and run, with me, right now," she paused for air. "Just say the word, just say go."

"..."

"There's no better time than now and there's no better way to get you here than drag you." The girl let out a sigh.

It was tempting. Very tempting. There's nothing worse than the wrath of her superior but there's nothing better than going back to that place with Tiffany. "I hate you."

Tiffany felt the victory in her very hands. "So?"

"Go."

 

---

 

"It's been years, huh, Tiffany?" The overly delighted girl ran from her seat to the shore.

"Since?" The girl who was left in the car yelled.

"Our last escapade here."

"Because it's also been years since we graduated."

"Nothing's changed." Jessica inhaled the ocean breeze. She smiled at the crisp of the warm air that ran through to her lungs.

"Yes." Tiffany said, mimicking what her friend was doing. "Nothing changed at all. If there's any, it was us."

The shorter girl's smile shifted to smaller, sadder one. "We're older."

Tiffany stooped forward, pinching through the sand and threw what she got at her friend. "But it will never be an excuse to stop doing this." She laughed and ran away.

The former wiped her face, feeling every piece of sand on her milky white skin. "Yah! Tiffany! Come back here you little hoodlum!"

She chased after the redhead for a few minutes but didn't succeed. At that moment, she blamed her old young self for not being so sporty. She slumped on the sand, not caring about her clothes getting messed up.

"You okay?" Tiffany asked, panting. She bended in her waist and rested both her hands on her slightly angled knees.

The equally panting girl reached for Tiffany's hand and forcefully yanked it towards the sand. The pull caused the redhead to stumble down.

Jessica laughed mercilessly as she helped her friend sit down.

"Still quite the actress, I see." Tiffany remarked.

"Still quite the runner." Jessica replied.

The usual comfortable silence followed through. It was the kind of silence they share whenever they ran out of stories to share or when they aren't in the mood to speak a word. Yet, it was complacent.  Sometimes silence could mean a lot.

"Come on, let's walk." Tiffany once again stood up.

Jessica stood up as well but now with doubt. "Promise you won't do anything silly again?" She pouted.

The former smiled at that. "Promise." She lifted her hand and Jessica willingly took it.

---

"We're turning twenty seven this year." Tiffany said, still swaying their snugly intertwined hands.

"That I'm well aware of." The other girl replied. "Remember our pact?"

"Yeah. Marry at 27 and have kids and be godmothers at 30."

Jessica softly giggled. "How are we gonna do that?"

"Ask yourself."

"Yeah, I've been a workaholic Tiff."

Tiffany sneered. She stopped to get a full view of her best friend. "Look at you. You got skinnier."

"Sorry I don't have a Taeyeon to take care of me." She retorted with a huff.

That remark made Tiffany frown. "What are trying to say here Jung Sooyeon?"

"I think I'm very much clear Hwang Miyoung."

They shot daggers at each other but ended with Tiffany's amused chuckle. They resumed walking, their hands holding each other and clutching on their shoes. They walked barefooted on the sand, making their feet tickle every step of the way. "Which reminds me, why are you all awkward towards each other? Did you guys have a bad past that I don't know?" Tiffany mocked a surprised look.

"Funny, Tiffany."

"Tell me!"

Jessica shook her head. "First, she's not my friend. Second," she raised two fingers to count for her entries why she's awkward with Taeyeon. "She stole my best friend while I was busy working. Third, she's a ert. She gloats at you!" She threw her hands in the air.

The wave from the waters hit their limbs. They laughed and ran farther from the ocean.

"Add them all up and it will result to number four: I hate her." She said, loud enough for Tiffany to hear.

The other girl hummed a song they used to sing while sinking herself to the feeling of being loved dearly by Jessica. How she wished they could be more.

"We never went pass this line Tiff." Jessica said. She remembered the huge rock that's lying lifelessly a few meters away from the water.

Tiffany's thought s of having more with her best ftiend eluded with those words. "Huh?"

"This is too far." The girl pointed at the endless path of sand.

She finally understood what her friend meant. She was relieved. "Wanna try something we haven't done before?" Tiffany grinned mischievously.

"It's far from civilization, very dangerous and," she looked back. "Your car. Some goons might take it away without us knowing."

The redhead tightened her grip on the brown haired girl's hand. "Stop worrying for a while, will you? You're with me. Remember whenever you get in trouble, I was always there? I'm here to protect you Sooyeon."

With those words, her doubts and fears were washed away along with the sand beneath their feet. "Okay."

They ran endlessly, they talked about life, work and future, they gossip about just anyone else and just did everything under the sun.

Jessica spread her arms like a bird while jogging her way towards Tiffany who was eye smiling back at her.

"Who could've imagined that the evil department manager could sometimes be such a kid?" Tiffany said, giggling and wrapping her abdomen with her arms.

"Tiff, this is fun!" Jessica yelled. "I am kid whenever I'm around you." She added while catching her breath as she stopped in front of her friend.

"I know."

"I feel like flying when I'm with you Tiffany. Thanks for this day."

The other girl grinned widely.

 

---

 

"Here," Tiffany handed her a newly bought mini towel. "You're soaked in sweat. It's what you get for playing nonstop."

Jessica wiped her face, her neck and her back. She struggled with the last though. Tiffany took the piece of cloth, slid her hands under the girl's polo and rested the towel on the of her friend.

"Thanks."

The darkness of the nearing night was starting to envelope the pink tinged sky. They sat on the car's roof while watching the sunset, just like what they used to do.

"You're jealous, aren't you?" Tiffany asked.

"Hm?" The girl leaned her head on Tiffany's shoulder. It was serene. And she loved how it made the moment made her feel, like they were young again. She finally went back to their hiding place and the memories of her happy days with her best friend came in bliss.

"Of Taeyeonnie." Tiffany purposely uttered the name with some kind of endearment.

"Blegh. Taeyonnie?" She repeated. "You can just go with her you know."

"You've said a lot today and I'm happy. Now now, is admitting that you're jealous that hard?"

"Yes. She stole you from me Tiff! We're Jess and Tiff and we can't be disbanded." She replied with curt.

Tiffany had to smile. "It just so happen that she's from the same department as I am. But you're still my bestest best friend. We were just too busy to even see or text each other."

"Keep your word there." Jessica closed her eyes, feeling the comfort of Tiffany's steady breathing.

"I like it when you talk. I love it even." Tiffany sounded serious. "You can just say everything out loud Jess. On me." She turned her head to meet a pair of questioning eyes.

"You know I'm not much of a talker."

"I'm your best friend."

"..."

Tiffany exhaled. "Can you tell me something?"

"What is it?"

"Anything." She looked away. Sea gulls are now hovering over the dark blue water. "Any secrets you haven't told me yet? It's really hard to be the speaker here you-"

"I love you." Jessica said, flat.

Tiffany's eyes shot open. Her heart bounced and her senses are now borderline high. "Wha-what?"

"That didn't sound romantic, did it?" She said smiling. "See? This is what happens when I try to talk my heart out. Blunt."

"..."

"Okay." Jessica lifted her head, looking straight. "I broke a lot of norms right now. I went out of post, I didn't notify anyone of my absence, which, I have to prepare myself into tomorrow. Our boss will literally explode. Then, I told my girl bestfriend I love her and now I'm gonna ask her if you know, we could be together?" She said dead straight from her heart. She looked at the baffled Tiffany with the most sincere look her oddly cold eyes could muster at the moment.

Tiffany's lips twitched up with the sudden, out of nowhere confession. "It is very rare of you to talk. But when you do, you sure take advantage of the moment. You just confessed your love and now you're asking if we could be together?"

"If you don't want to, then reject away. But if you could just give this ice cold devil a chance for her to love you, just say the word. Just say yes."

It was Tiffany's turn to look sincere. "Don't you know how much I wanted you to tell me those words? How much I wanted you to ask me out?"

Jessica shrugged.

"Yes."

They smiled at each other for the longest time until a car passed them by.

"I want to kiss you."

"When you say it, you have to do it." Tiffany laughed.

She got interrupted by a pair of lips pressed against hers. They were just like that for a moment.

"I love you." Jessica said.

"I love you too." Tiffany sighed in relief. "Whew. I already got it off my chest."

"You were always the talker but why didn't you tell me first? If I didn't decide on finally coming out now, this will take years."

"Because you never talked. I don't know what's running there." She poked Jessica's head with her pointer finger.

"Well, aside from plotting a suicide-like murder for Taeyoennie, thoughts of you mostly run in my mind." Jessica said nonchalantly.

Tiffany threw her head back in so much laughter. "I don't like her. For the record."

"Keep your distance away from that . I'm telling you." She warned. "Otherwise, my well planned homicide will be well executed."

"Yes. I'm yours Jess. Yours alone."

Jessica stood up, again spread her arms in the air for a second and then cupped . "Tiffany Hwang! I love you!"

The other girl stood up as well. "I love you too, Jessica Jung!" She yelled.

Their chortles reverberated everywhere.

"Now I really feel like flying." Jessica said.

Tiffany nodded and pulled her for a hug. "Told you this is worth it."

"Mmhm."

 

Fin.

 

////

 

So, what do you think? i wanted a fluffy start so yeah. your thoughts are always welcome.