15:00

Ocean of Light

Yixing was stuck in traffic. He could complain about it all day long, it wouldn’t make a difference. Compared to Shanghai, Seoul wasn’t as crowded, yet still pretty big. He liked it in there. He actually lived for four years and shared a room with his friend, Jongin, until he returned to China to attend University in Shanghai. His Korean might not be excellent, but since he will work mostly with Chinese business investors, there was nothing to worry. That’s what Jongin told him. For the last week, he went out with his future work colleagues and last night was the third time he came home drunk. He felt bad for Daiyu to see him like that, but he couldn’t tell them no. It was part of the bonding process between men which puzzled the soft natured Yixing. Again, the headache bothered him, but Yixing stayed composed and enjoyed the soothing music from the radio. He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel and swung his head right and left to the beat.

The telephone rang. He slid his finger over the screen and then pressed for the speaker as he couldn’t risk talking to the phone in any other way while driving. Jongin’s voice made Yixing’s headache grow worse.

“Where are you?!” he shouted in the device.

“Calm down, I’m on my way.” Yixing replied in a broken Korean. Jongin suddenly changed to Mandarin and spurted some more.

“I swear if you don’t come in the next ten minutes, you’re fired!”

“You can’t fire me!” Yixing protested. He looked around, the GPS flashing his position not far from the building. “The contract doesn’t allow it.”

“Oh, I will,” Jongin said before the call suddenly got intrerrupted.

“That’s odd,” Yixing murmured as he finally pulled in the parking lot. He took the phone from the holder and touched every button available. A big ‘battery low’ flashed before him. Yixing sighed as he sank the phone in his pockets, took his bag and went inside.

His office was at the 10th floor, but Jongin’s was at twelve, so he had to go there first. When they finally met again, Jongin’s annoyed disposition sent Yixing out of his office in a split second. He sighed and thought it was for the best. He had to check reports and stuff, so the faster he went to his floor, the better.

Yixing buried his eyes in files until lunch time. At around 3PM, a knock on the door shifted his attention up front. Jongin invited himself inside and motioned for the elder to follow him.

“Come, you’re eating with me.”

“But I still need to…”

“Forget it, you need food…” he grinned “especially after last night.”

Yixing’s curiosity sparked as he left his chair and followed his boss out the hallway and inside the elevator.

“What happened?”

“I drove you back home,” Jongin answered and fished Yixing’s car keys from his pockets. “I forgot to give you back these.”

“Ahhh!” Yixing exclaimed. “So there they were!” he took back the keys and made sure they wouldn’t escape again from his pockets.

“So, what do you want? Mexican?”

“No, Chinese.”

“Oh, come on, have some diversity!” Jongin patted his friend’s back before they left the elevator and entered the lobby. He was saluted by everybody, but Jongin only had time for Yixing.

“I’d rather have Daiyu’s cooking.” Yixing cheerfully declared as they left the building and headed to Yixing’s car. Jongin suddenly went silent. He only smiled and nodded.

After stuffing their faces, they returned with the same silence to the office. Yixing’s watch pointed it was time to leave when Jongin suddenly came again.

“Are you going to be late tomorrow too?” he questioned without hesitation.

“No, sir.” Yixing sincerely answered as he packed his stuff.

“Good, because we have an important client.” Jongin handed Yixing an enclosed folder. The elder took it fast and placed it inside his bag along with the other documents. “Also, stop drinking.”

“Got it,” Yixing winked and went past his boss. If they weren’t so close, Yixing’s attitude could be considered rude by his fellow colleagues. Fortunately, nobody else saw or heard them.

Jongin also didn’t leave Yixing’s office right away. He sat at his desk and grabbed the framed photo resting among other decorations. He smiled when he saw the three of them so happily together at Yixing’s wedding. Jongin had been his best man and the younger was proud with such a title. It had been his honor.

His fingers caressed Daiyu’s glimmering face. If only Yixing knew...