Chapter 1

Haunted

Someone was calling his name. Over and over, begging, pleading.

"Luhan, Luhan."

He tried to block it out, covered his ears, closed his eyes and cowered under his covers.

"Luhan, Luhan."

Nothing would work. Still the voice sounded in his ears, softly crying to be let in.

"Luhan, Luhan."

"I know. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, please... Just leave me alone," he whispered, curling up into a ball with the sheets draped over his shaking form.

"Luhan?"

He started and threw the covers off of himself. Someone was standing in the doorway, their back to the light flooding in from the hall.

"Luhan, what are you doing? You're gonna suffocate like that. If you're really that cold, I can turn the heat up." The figure moved away from the door and strode over to the bed, gently prying his fingers off of the sheets. 

"Minseok," Luhan murmured, staring at his partner blankly. "Minseok, it's happening again."

"The voice?" Minseok drew back, looking worried. "Lu, I thought it was over, it hasn't happened for a whole year-"

"This happens every year," Luhan said, tears pricking at the corner of his eyes. "Always the same time. December. Three years, Minseok. Three years, it's been happening. What do I do?" He buried his head in Minseok's arms. "I don't know what to do."

"I... I don't know either," Minseok admitted, running his fingers through the other's hair soothingly. "Do you want me to stay with you, tonight?"
Luhan nodded, still nestled in his arms.

"Please, Minseok. Please."

 


 

Three years ago, Luhan had someone else.

Oh Sehun. He was a young man not much younger than Luhan, and they had clicked instantly when they had met each other at a diner late one cold December night. His expressions were usually restricted to just one of dullness and nothing, but Luhan could make his eyes and face light up with joy.  His laugh was, in Luhan's opinion, the most beautiful one he'd ever heard in his life.

They were happy together. Life was as perfect as Luhan thought it could be. For three years they lived together. On their third anniversary of their being together, they returned to the place they had met, as they had many times in the past. Sehun talked of living the rest of their lives side by side. Luhan...

Luhan wasn't sure. Sehun was understanding. He didn't speak of marriage for the rest of the night. 

Three weeks later, they got into a fight. Sehun had been out late, and when he had returned, Luhan wanted to know where he had been. Sehun wouldn't answer. Again and again Luhan asked, his requests for a response turning into demands, his low coaxing becoming shouts.

"Why won't you tell me? Three years, and you won't just tell me where you've been?"

The argument ended bitterly. Luhan had slammed the door in Sehun's face, locked it, and stayed there huddled on his bed, ignoring his partner's heartbroken whispers at the door.

"Please, Luhan," he had said. "Don't be like this." Over and over he had called his name.

"Luhan, Luhan. Please, Luhan."

He had died in a car crash the next morning.

Luhan never got the chance to say another word to him.

 


 

Author's Note: So this is a thing. Just an idea I got a while ago and decided to put into action, been working on it for a while. Short chapters, but I have some more done right now I'll put up same time as this chapter, so there's more, just click the button [suggestive eyebrow wiggles]

Just a warning that updates will be slow as hell because im a lazy poop thing


Comments and favorites are always appreciated SO MUCH 
IF YOU TOOK TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY TO WRITE A COMMENT
IT WOULD MAKE ME SO HAPPY YOU HAVE NO IDEA

also, thanks to my good friend chloe for beta-reading and crying over this all beforehand! she doesn't have an aff, but you can find her on tumblr here


anyways, uh, author out-