Chapter 7

Read My Mind

The secretary walked into Jonghyun's office to find an unconscious Jinki. Luckily, he had a pulse, but she had no idea what to do. She tried to call Jonghyun, but his phone was switched off. Not knowing what to do, she called for an ambulance, which arrived and took Jinki to a nearby hospital. She stayed till he opened his eyes when he begged her not to tell anyone about this. He had a weak heart, and apparently, this had happened before. Jonghyun had to know about this, but Jinki had made her promise him. 

Jinki was in a state of panic. Jonghyun must never know about this. Could he trust the secretary to keep her promise? Well, he really had no choice. He spent the night at the hospital, where the doctor told him to exert himself or his emotions too much. What could he do? That picture....brought this on. Oh no. He hadn't kept it back. Now, Jonghyun would know that he had seen it. Why should he (Jinki) care anyway? Jonghyun had a boyfriend. It was time to try to get over him. He wouldn't let Jonghyun play with him. He was no toy. Oh well, he had to go see his boss and ask for a week of leave. That Kibum guy would keep Jonghyun busy. He didn't need Jinki anymore. 

Jonghyun walked into his office and was surprised not to see Jinki there. This was strange. Jinki was never late. He walked to his desk and sat down, waiting for Jinki. Then, he saw something on the floor. Bending down, he picked it up. Oh no. Oh no no no. He hoped Jinki hadn't seen it. Who was he kidding? He probably had. That was probably why he was late. Oh no. Poor Jinki. What did he think? He tried calling him, but his phone was switched off. Was Jinki angry? He went over to Jinki's house to apologize, but the door was locked. Where had Jinki gone?

In the meantime, Jinki reluctantly made his way to work. He smiled at Jonghyun's secretary and left an envelope on Jinki's desk and left. He walked towards the railway station. He felt horrible. Why did he have to open that particular letter? Things would have been so much better if he hadn't. He could have avoided checking the drawer too. He couldn't cope with how he felt. He sat on a bench and watched the trains pass by. It was too easy. He could just end it all. Even though he had known Jonghyun for such a short period of time, he had grown to love him. At first, he thought the feeling would pass, but it had just become stronger. Why was he so attached to Jonghyun? Why did the picture matter so much? He could feel the familiar pain. Instead of controlling his emotions, he let the tears stream down his cheeks. They felt hot against his skin, which just made him feel worse for some reason. He stood up and watched a train whiz past. He had been replaced. No, Jonghyun never really needed him. He was just an object. You could never love an object. His life was in his own hands. He could end it at any moment. Wiping away his tears furiously, he walked towards the tracks. 

Jonghyun was frantic. Where could Jinki have gone? Just then, his phone rang, and he picked it up eagerly, expecting it to be Jinki. But it wasn't. It was his secretary who informed him that Jinki had left a letter for him. He raced back to his office and opened the envelope. The letter inside was brief and consisted of, 'Jonghyun-ssi, you'll be fine without me. You don't need me anymore. I didn't want to wait and say goodbye because I know I can't handle it. I'm sorry - Jinki'. What did that even mean? Did he just resign? Was it because of the job or the picture he had seen? Judging from the stain of teardrops on the letter, it was surely the picture. What did he mean by 'I'm sorry'? What was Jinki up to? Jinki was a moody person who would feel depressed very easily. Where would he have gone? What was Jinki going to do? He needed Jinki. He had to find him before he could do something stupid. True, he (Jonghyun) had made a lot of mistakes in his life, but meeting Jinki was not one of them. He could change for Jinki. He would be exactly what Jinki wanted. Jinki meant the world to him. Why couldn't the idiot realize that? Jonghyun felt horrible. On a sudden impulse, he searched for the number of the carnival where Jinki had worked and dialed it. The manager of the carnival picked up and promised to help Jonghyun find Jinki. After quitting the carnival, Jinki had made one call, to his best friend, saying that he had got a job. The manager quickly traced the friend and made him talk to Jonghyun. Jonghyun was sure that his panic could be heard in his voice. When he asked Jinki's friend where he could have gone, he replied, 'Oh that's easy. Our Jinki was always fascinated by trains. He would even say that he would die in a train crash, like his parents. I hope you find him soon'. Was his Jinki going to kill himself? Jonghyun hurried towards the train station, fervently praying that he wouldn't be too late. He had to save his Jinki.