Young and Beautiful

Song inspired One-Shots

...oOo__oOo......oOo__oOo...

 

There were only two and a half weeks left of school before summer break and all the seniors of Seul Arts High have checked out – done with their high school career. Grade 3 students fool around during lessons and all around campus with the exception of one class. Grade 3-D stays calm and continues with their dance classes.

 

Min Sujin quietly listens to music as her classmates chatter and dance to new K-pop songs. She envies her boyfriend, Kim Myungsoo, in Grade 3-I who is free from all instrumental classes. Her best friend, Park Eunbi, in Grade 3-S is also free from her singing courses. Sujin doesn’t understand why her class is the only one still willing to learn and work.

 

Snapping her out of her internal ranting, the bell lets out a shrill cry and signals the beginning of class. Professor Cho walks through the door carrying suspicious papers that grabs the attention of all students in the room. Deafening silence ensues until Professor Cho smiles and happily greets the class.

 

“Good morning students! Great news! We only have one final project to do and this one must be taken seriously! I have carefully selected and assigned pairs to come up with debut-worthy choreography to a given topic. You will then perform your creation at the mini showcase on the last day of school in front of this class and a few selected staff members. Also, recruiters from different entertainment companies are coming to this showcase in hopes of selecting potential trainees. Work hard!” She quickly lists the partners on the clean chalk board along with the theme or topic the pair must dance about. The class chatters excitedly as students head to the front of the classroom in small groups to check the list. Sujin trudges up to look for her name and freezes in shock.

 

No.

 

This is not happening.

 

Next to Sujin’s name is the name of the boy whom she despises the most: her ex-boyfriend, Jeon Jungkook. To her he is not the revered golden maknae kingka, but a heartbreaker, player, and the most arrogant devil anyone can know. He often brags about his dancing skills and puts others down for their lacking skills.

 

Sure he is a good dancer, Sujin thought, but he has no right to degrade others and step all over them! Why did I even fall in love with this guy?!?

 

She reads over his name to their theme: insecurity.

 

Jungkook walks over to her and musters the friendliest smile he could. Sujin just rolls her eyes.

 

“Let’s work on this at my place,” he suggests, “Remember my studio in the basement with mirrors on all four walls and surround sound? Nothing can beat it.”

 

Sujin sends him a lazy glare. Can't this boy stop bragging for just one moment?! She silently nods and pulls out her tablet to search for a possible song. Jungkook leans in, a little too close for comfort. Sujin ignores his presence and selects Lana del Rey's "Young and Beautiful".

 

"I LIKE IT! Sujinnie, we have to do this one! It will definitely get us full points!" She glared to the overly excited male. How dare he call her by the nickname only Myungsoo is allowed to say. Jungkook got the message through her glare and shifts uncomfortable. 

 

Great. This is a very clingy and emotional song which means she and Jungkook should have a lot of skinship.

 

Scrolling halfway through the lyrics, Jungkook taps Sujin to get her attention. She looks up from the screen and lazily looks at him.

 

Jungkook clears his throat and starts, “Look, I know we aren't on the best terms right now, but I’m pretty sure we both know the importance of this showcase and the opportunities that can come if we do well… so…” he takes a deep breath, “I’m sorry for all the things I’ve done to make you dislike me this much. Can you accept this tiny apology for the time being and work with me, without and grudges and negative feelings?” He sends her his adorable and irresistable, puppy eyes.

 

Left with no choice after he pulled out his wild card, Sujin sighs and forcibly accepts the apology. He smiles and they start to plan the practices and details.

 

The two spent the next two weeks practicing and practicing. Sujin was surprised how well they worked together when she let down her walls of hate and bias. Jungkook was definitely a good dancer and choreographer. He included many different dynamics, fresh moves, and emotion into the dance. He knew her strengths and weaknesses and worked around them for her ease. Sujin contributed by bouncing ideas back on choreography and planning performance day details.

 

In a blink of an eye, the ex-couple finished their dance piece with half a week left to perfect everything possible.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

It is the day of the showcase and the entire class was nervous. Everyone wanted to impress the recruiters, but they knew only so many will be chosen.

 

Sujin takes a deep breath. Will she and Jungkook do well? Did she stretch enough? Should they run over it one more time?

Jungkook notices Sujin's panicked eyes and gently hugs her to reassure her. "Everything will be fine. We know the choreography like the back of our hands! Don't worry, Sujin-ah~" Right after Jungkook spoke the last syllable, backstage techies usheres them to the stage wings. 

 

IT.IS.TIME.

 

Professor Cho quickly announces the two and their topic before the lights dimmed down to semi-darkness.

 

Sujin walks on stage to one end, and Jungkook, the other. Only the pair’s body sillouette was visible. Slowly, the music starts and a spotlight focuses on Sujin.

 

 

 

Looking up right before the singer started, she gracefully performs her beginning solo to the first verse of the song. Skilled with crazy flexibility, Sujin stretches into the well choreographed poses with ease, sending the audience into awe. Emotions of sad love and longing run across her face.

 

As the first chorus begins, a spotlight reveals Jungkook and he dances to Sujin. They begin their partner choreography which was a sight to see. Each roll, wave and beat come together, making Sujin and Jungkook one. They dance full out, losing themselves into the dance, into the music, into each other. She stretches into a vertical split while he suspends her. Suddenly he lets go of Sujin, only to catch her again and continue dancing.

 

Everytime the chorus came up, Sujin would run and jump into Junkook's arms as if she was scared for her life and filled with insecurity. Jungkook effortlessly lifts her and hugs her with the emotion of reassurance that he will always love. Even when she's no longer young and beautiful. Sujin used her heart to listen to the lyrics and a tear quickly escapes her eyes. This song perfectly describes the life of a model and professional dancer, her dream life. Is this song telling her to give up on her lifetime dream? Jungkook notices and slightly panics. Was Sujin hurt? Did he accidentaly hit her in the eye? Why was she crying? When his back was to the audience, he sends her a heartwarming smile. 

 

The music ends with the two in a tight embrace. The lights dim down again to show their shadows once again.

 

The audience erupts in applause and the duo bow when lights come on. Their performance was without a doubt the best choreographed and most emotional one of the show.