"I-I remember..."

"What's Your Name?"
XSYKOTICA
"I-I remember..."
I was released the next day, Appa and Omma came to pick me up from the hospital. They had to sign all sorts of things, it is that complicated to just get discharged from a hospital, huh?

“She has lost her memory. This is pretty common among patients that went through what she went through. It’s the trauma, blocking away what the body feels would hurt her. It’s like a defense mechanism. Well, it’s best that you let her rest, and try not to encourage her too hard to remember her past. Let it come naturally as to not exert her too much.”

“She knew him tho, doctor. She called him ‘Oppa.’”

“She meant to call him ‘older brother’. She’s just really confused right now, what with not remembering her past and all.”

It is true, I guess. The taxi stopped infront of a two-storey house and I stood there with my small bag on the ground beside me, staring at the whitewashed building while my parents paid for the cab.

I didn’t remember my own boyfriend. I can’t even remember if I grew up in there.

“Soo Hae-ah, go on in.” Omma said.

I turned to look at her, and then at Appa. Like the house, I can recognize them and they feel familiar, but…

They feel like a distant memory; something that happened such a long, long time ago that I cease to remember them anymore.

Why?

Seeing Omma’s smile beginning to falter, I quickly smile and said, “Ne, Omma! It’s good to be back!”

Omma smiled brightly again and walked into the gate with Appa. I sighed, dropped the smile, and walked in.

It’s really troublesome to not remember anything.

~ ~

 “Appa, I’m going out for a while to get some fresh air,” I called out from the house gate as I was tying my shoelaces.

“Alone? Are you sure you’re feeling well enough?”

I turned to look at Appa as he appeared from the kitchen.

Appa’s voice is deep, almost monotonous, but it’s calming.

…I’ll remember that.

“Aniyo,” I replied after a while, chuckling a little, “I’m going out with Oppa. He wanted to spend some time together, he said. I’ll be alright, Appa.”

Appa laughed, his belly shaking a little, “Arasso, arasso. Be careful, Soo-ah.”

“Neh. Don’t worry.” I replied, and walked over to a nearby park to wait for Oppa, feeling a little awkward meeting a boyfriend who you can’t remember.

Eh, I’ll be fine. We’ll spend some time together and then…well, and then I’ll remember why I love him!~ It’s like a kdrama all of a sudden… Exciting!

I chuckled, and skipped all the way to the park.

~ ~

I let my head fall onto my thighs as I huff out loud.

Where the fruck is he!

I sighed for the millionth time, and tried his cellphone again, only to be sent to voicemail. Again.

Aish… so much for kdramas…

I lifted my head up, breathing out slowly. There isn’t any point getting angry. Somehow, this feels normal. Waiting for him feels…normal.

Ehhh,it’s feelings from the past again? Why does it feel normal? Sigh, it’s troublesome to not remember anything.

The familiar dull thudding in my head caused me to looked to the side, searching for something to distract myself, and saw some ducks paddling in a small pond. Smiling, I walked over closer to the pond and squatted down, the Sun mercilessly beating on my back. I searched my bad for the bread I threw in my bag earlier, intending to feed the ducks.

“J-jagiyaa~”

At the familiar voice, I froze.

“FINALLY!” I shouted, and jumped up “You’re late, oppa! I’m all sw-”

I stopped talking as I took in his condition. He’s all sweaty and out of breath in his dance attire, his hair all blown back.

Probably from sprinting here.

“…Mian,” he started after catching his breath “dance training ended late… and I couldn’t grab a cab, so I ran here and-“

I threw myself on him, causing him to fall on his with me on his lap. I felt… really guilty for getting angry, but I can’t exactly recall why…

This feels familiar. I remember…

“I-I remember something,” I said, looking down at the grass, unable to look at him “You’re a trainee… at some company and so, you’re always busy and stuff. And I’m always getting angry at you, right? Though you’re busy with your traineeship… I’m a bad girlfriend, aren’t I? I’m not understanding at all.”

STUPID. You’re always causing problems for him. Aishh.

“Hey.”

I looked up. Wincing a little as my head throbbed dully at the jerky action. The pain must have been reflected on my face, when he asked if I’m alright. I nodded slowly, trying for a smile.

He ruffled my hair.

That feels nice. Does he always do that?

“Yah, don’t force yourself to remember, ne? You’re recovering.”

He’s… This feels…

“N-ne, oppa.”

I looked at him as I said that, and caught his eyes going wide before looking away.