Part 2

Marked

2014

KRIS

"Seol-ah, let's not go there" I warned her.

"Why? Are you scared of heights?" she challenged me.

"No... But it doesn't look safe"

"Then let's do it" she said, already going towards the elevator. Bungee jumping. The girl decided to pick a bungee jumping location for our date.

            With the help of the guide, she got dressed in proper attire before jumping. I watched her smile her oh-so-famous fake smile. It was nice to see her out of her small music studio, but this was not what I had in mind when she asked me to go on a date with her.

            I’ve watched for months when I was back in Korea. I heard that she came out more and didn’t go clubbing much like she used to. The reason she went clubbing was to release her tears. She cried as she danced the night away, wishing to leave all the pain she carried in her heart on the dance floor. I watched her when I could, and most of the time, she ended up getting carried by me on those nights. Her bodyguards never let their guard down, and I understood why.

            When she was having her little situations, they’d give her a blue lid. She’d drink the whole thing and pass out. I wondered if it was safe for a 23-year-old girl to drug herself to sleep. And then, there seemed to be no other choice than that. Watching her cry in pain was more painful to others. So, drug medicine it was.

The memories that hunted her were used to be beautiful memories she shared with the love of her life. The way she talked about him, I realized that her brothers completely misjudged him. He was a quiet person, she said, but he was a very good listener and a good guardian. He used to make her food when she couldn’t eat, take care of her when she was sick, follow her whenever she wanted to escape reality, and be by her side and love her – teach her what it was like to be a family with someone… From what I heard from everyone else too, Leo was the best thing that happened in Seol’s life.

“Time to die!” suddenly Seol yelled, spreading her invisible wings and jumping out.

“Seol!” a scream jumped out of my mouth. I heard her cheer and let out a breath in relief.

“She likes these kinds of things, eh?” asked the guide.

“Yeah… I guess.”

“Well, if you’re planning on dating her, you better get used to it because that girl likes to come here at least once a month” said the guide, and my eyes widened.

“Seol has done this before?” I asked, and he nodded.

“She comes here all the time” he smiled. Seol lied. She said she had never done this before. That was why I was here. She said she wanted to share her first time with me. If hyungs find out, I’m dead too.

“What are you doing up there, Kris? Jump!” she yelled from the ground.

“Here goes nothing” I said, lifting my feet in the air and closing my eyes. I never want to do this. Ever!

            The moment I was helped on to the boat, Seol decided to yell “Again!”

“No”

“Why? Scared? Only if your fans find out that you’re actually scared of such a small thing like this” she made fun of me. I grabbed her hand.

“No, Seol. And you lied. You said you’ve never done this before”

“I haven’t done this before”

“But the guide said you come here every month”

“Oh, bungee jumping? Yeah” she said, “I was talking about today. I’ve never gone out on today” Seol spoke in a quiet voice. Her left hand covered her right wrist, and I watched her fingers touch the black mark on her wrist. “Today was the day I last saw him.” She said after we were both safely on the deck. I let out a sigh and regretted losing my temper on her. “I always used to stay inside the house on today. It’s the first time I came out after years.” She went on, and I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her into a hug.

“I’m sorry, baby”

“Call me ‘Lie’ for today” she muttered.

“Why?”

“I want to remember his voice. I don’t want to lose him. I love him. Someday – very soon – I’ll go to him. And then, I’ll listen him calling me the name he used to call me. Call me ‘Lie’ Kris.”

“Okay… Lee?”

“No, as in Seolie. But with Seo- part. Just Lie. Get it right, Kris”

“Seol, I don’t want to call you that”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s his nickname for you.”

“Just do as I say. I bet oppadeul paid you to be with me. So in a way, I’m the employer, you’re the employee. Do as I say. Call me Lie”

“Seol-ah, you’re not my employer. And your brothers didn’t pay me. I hang out with you because I want to. No one can stop me”

“Stop!” suddenly, the girl yelled and sat on the bare ground. Panic struck me, and I bent down and tried to get her up. She covered her ears and started screaming, gaining unwanted attention from the people who were strolling along the side.

“Seol-ah, what’s wrong?”

“Don’t say anything!” she yelled again.

“Just talk to me. Are you okay? Are you in pain?”

“When was I not in pain, Kris? I’ve always been in pain. For three damn years. I tried to kill myself so many times but guess what, God doesn’t want me up there and the Devil likes to think this as my hell. And he’s right. I’m in hell right now, Kris. I want him so badly, but he’s not here now. I want to be by his side, but I can’t. How am I not in pain?” she cried, covering her ears instead of her eyes. I pulled her to a hug and tried to comfort her. I heard flashes but I ignored them. I just wanted her to be safe. And… today was not her day. I understood. “I want to kill myself again. And bungee jumping is like killing myself over and over again. One lucky day, that rope will go lose and I’ll die for real. Then, I’ll be next to him. I miss him so much” she cried. I got up and carried her bridal style, leading towards where the black car was parked.

“Kris-ssi? Who is she? Is she okay?” people questioned me but I ignored them.

***

She was suicidal. Her brothers were aware of it. They thought Kris could stop her. But they were wrong. The mark on her hand still existed. And they knew; even if that mark gets removed, the mark in her heart would never go away. And they needed Kris. He was perfect for her. And for the past months, they watched him with her. The way he behaved, the way he treated her – it was like he was in love with her. She wasn’t, but he looked like it. Yes, they warned him not to fall for their sister. But they both knew pushing a hot-blooded guy into their perfect sister’s life will never keep him away. Kris used to keep his word, but this time, they didn’t mind him breaking that word. They wanted her to feel love again. They wanted her to happy. And they thought Kris was the best for their plan.

“Paparazzi caught them” Changmin spoke.

“I know. I sent them” Yunho said, and Changmin nodded.

“But the pictures don’t look good. Seolie doesn’t look good” said Changmin. Yunho got onto his feet right away, making his way towards the phone.

“Kris” he said as the guy answered his phone. “I saw the news, are you okay? Is Seolie okay?”

“No she’s not” he said, ignoring the first part. “Hyung, do you know what day today is?” he asked in a harsh voice.

“May 25th

“Yeah… apparently, it’s Leo’s death anniversary” Kris spoke in a quiet voice. Yunho stayed frozen while Changmin snagged the phone away from him.

“Kris, is she okay? No, I know she’s not okay… just get her home.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that its his death anniversary?” Kris asked the younger brother, and he froze for a second too.

“W-what?”

“It’s Leo’s death anniversary” he spoke in a loud and clear voice.

“But Seolie never goes out on his death anniversary. She doesn’t even eat a meal on that day”

“And do you know what she did? She came bungee jumping. Your sister’s trying to kill herself over and over again but you two are just ignoring her. Are you living a happy life hyung?” Kris asked the younger brother.

“Get her home” was Changmin’s answer before hanging up. “Hyung…”

“May 25th…”

“I forgot too”

“Is he taking her home?”

“Yes”

“Good.”

“Are you okay?”

“No… today’s the day that boy died. The day our sister tried to kill herself for the first time. I don’t like today”

“Hyung…” Changmin put his arm around Yunho’s shoulder. “We have Kris. Let’s just wait for a miracle to happen”

***

KRIS

I carried the girl who was sleeping in my arms up to her room. Her maid moved the duvet like she always did and I laid her down on her bed. Usually, Seol turned to her side the moment I laid her down but today, she pulled me down with her.

"S-Seol" I spoke but she was still asleep. "Can you help me?" I asked her maid who was busy blushing.

"Um... yea..." she said, running over and trying to pull Seol away from me. She put her hand under Seol and tried to move her but Seol's hand just crumpled my shirt, pulling me in.

"Just leave" Seol suddenly ordered the poor girl who blushed harder as she ran over to the rood, pushed the lock button and closed it. "Sleep with me" Seol said after the door made a click sound.

"Ya"

"I mean it"

"No"

"I didn't mean have with me. Just sleep with me. On my bed. I don't want to cry" she said, and I kicked my shoes off me as I laid next to her. Her arms wrapped around me the moment I laid next to her, her head resting over my chest. She had no idea how hard it was for me to keep my breathing in normal condition. It was like she was testing me. My heart was about to burst out but she just laid next to me, trying to fall back asleep.

"Seol-ah..."

"I won't let go of you"

"I'm not Leo"

"I know. But I want you to stay with me" she said in a sleepy voice. Was she sleep-talking?

"Do you like me?"

"No, I have Leo"

"He's not here"

"Are you trying to make me cry?"

"No... honestly, it doesn't matter if he's in your heart... I am the one who's in front of your eyes." I said, and she shot her eyes up, looking at me.

"What?"

"You heard me" I said before lowering my head so that we're really face to face.

"But I'll always love him"

"Did I tell you to stop loving him? I don't mind. But I'm letting you know that I'm always going to be here for you. He's gone, Seol. He'll never come back. But I'm never asking you to stop loving him or forget about him. I don't mind him being a part of you. I'm saying that I'll never leave you either. I'll always be here in front of your eyes. I don't care what the world would say. Heck, I don't even care about what your brothers have to say because I'm staying, Seol, and I am never letting you go. Do you know why?"

"Why?" she asked with teary eyes.

"Because I love you" I said, before moving closer to her and capturing her lips. She stayed frozen, but I tasted her tears as I pressed my lips on to her's once again. That time, she moved, her lips moved. I felt her fingers crumple my shirt once again around my waist. I smiled as I moved closer, wrapping my arms around her.

***

"Hyung, we need to talk"

"Yeah, we need to talk to you too. Sit down, Kris" said Yunho as Kris entered his office. Soon, Changmin entered too, and Kris sat facing the two brothers.

"You guys first" Kris said, waiting for the brothers to start.

"Do you like our sister?" Changmin asked.

"No" Kris said looking right at the brothers. Their faces changed colour. "I love her" he spoke in total confidence. When they heard Kris's words, Yunho looked at Changmin. "I don't know what you did to Leo to keep him away and if you're going to do the same, I'm going to do the exact thing Leo did too. I'm going to meet Seol in secret too. And then if you find out and something like Leo happen to me, Seol will really end p blaming you two for everything. I can't leave her like that. I can't watch her cry in pain anymore. I want her to smile for real for once in her life. I'm tried..." Kris stopped, "of doing this; being the person who protects her when I can't even have her. I jus-"

"Have her then" Changmin said, and Kris shot his fallen eyes back at the two brothers. Instead of throwing punches at him, they were smiling.

"Seol looks a lot better these days Kris, and I know it has everything to do with you. We can't unmark her, but we know you can make her happy again. We want her to forget about Leo - though I don't know if it's possible - but I want her to smile for real too. And I know if she's with you, she'll be smiling for real very soon. We give our permission. Good luck Kris." Yunho spoke, making Kris wonder if they were pulling a prank of him.

"Welcome to the family, man" Changmin got up and held his hand. Kris blinked in confusion, but stood up and shook his hand.

"Promise us one thing" Yunho spoke and Kris looked at him. "Take care of her. We'd do anything for her but she wants you more."

"I will"

"Oh, and... Love her for real"

"I do" Kris chuckled.

"And..." Changmin patted Kris's back. "Make her love you too."


hehet. DONE!!! Sorry you had to wait But t's done! Hope you liked it :)