Chapter 23

Road of Destruction

Bosco waved his gun towards the waterfall and said loudly to Michael, “I saw Ron go through the waterfall. Raymond is hiding in there.”

Michael stood at the foot of the water, hands on hips as he deliberated on what to do. “Are you positive?”

Bosco nodded eagerly, “I’m willing to bet my life on it. I heard Ron call out to him and then he went through the fall.”

Derek and Joe arrived seconds later with their own herd of men. Joe ran up to Bosco and grabbed his shirt, “Where is she? Did you hurt her?” he demanded.

Bosco pushed Joe away, “Get your hands off me!”

When Joe was about to charge at Bosco again, Derek stopped him with a hand on his shoulder, “Let’s find out what’s going on first.”

Michael looked at Derek, “Will you and your men kindly leave this area. I have a personal matter to deal with and do not want an audience.”

Derek remained in place. Giving Michael a glare, he said vehemently, “Your personal matter concerns Charmaine and we’re not leaving here until we have her back.”

“Fine,” Michael snapped then stalked over to Bosco who was standing at the entrance of the waterfall. He threw his cigarette into the water and yelled at the top of his lungs, “Raymond, I know you’re in there. Don’t make us come in and get you. Come out on your own right now!”

Inside the cave, the three exchanged worried looks. Ron went to the opening of the cave and tried to peer through the water but wasn’t able to see anything, “What are we going to do now? Do you think Michael would actually kill us?”

Raymond looked at Charmaine and for once he didn’t know. Michael was an unpredictable man. He could be warm and forgiving one second and then do a complete changeover. Throughout his years working for Michael, Michael had not once raised his voice at Raymond. In fact, he treated Raymond like a younger brother. But Raymond had seen the cruel and violent side of Michael and that was the side that frightened Raymond more than he cared to admit. Not so the cruelty but his craziness. At times, Michael acted like a deranged man without any logic and reasoning.

Michael’s voice rang into the cave again. This time the menace was gone and in its place was the brotherly tone that Raymond was used to hearing, “Raymond, I’m willing to forget this ever happen. I’ll let it slide this time and you could continue to work for me. I won’t hold it against you. Just come out.”

Ron glanced over his shoulder at Raymond with anxiety, “Are we going out there?”

Derek walked over to Michael and ignoring him shouted, “Charmaine? Are you in there? Let me know that you’re safe.”

Charmaine raced towards the entrance and screamed, “Derek! I’m alright.”

Derek visibly relaxed and exchanged smiles of relief with Joe. He turned to Michael and looked him straight in the eye, “When she comes out and if you so much as hurt her in any way this will mean war between our two gangs. Do you really want that?”

Michael snickered, unperturbed by the threat, “You think I’m afraid of you?” he asked silkily.

Derek chuckled, “I know you’re not but you should be today.” He spread his arms out towards the dozens of men that weren’t there before but now surrounded them with guns pointing straight at Michael. Michael was taken aback by the number of them. They must have arrived not too long ago because they were definitely not there before. Derek saw the rage on Michael’s face and smoothly said, “You’re outnumbered. If I give a signal they will all shoot at you.”

Michael gave Derek a wide smile and said, “I was only joking before about killing her. Did you really think I would do something like that to one of your people?”

Derek knew he would but didn’t say so. Instead, he played along, “I knew you wouldn’t. So if you don’t mind I’m going to call Charmaine out and then I’m going to leave with her. Will that be a problem for you?”

Michael kept the smile pasted on his face and clapped his hand together, “Of course not! Go and take her home.” He turned from Derek and his face immediately changed to one of pure hatred.

Derek called out into the cave, “Charmaine, everything is okay. Come out now.”

Hearing Derek’s words, Charmaine looked at Raymond and Ron and together they dashed through the cascading water and out into the open air. Derek and Joe immediately jumped to Charmaine’s side. Joe took off his jacket and placed it protectively over Charmaine’s drenched and shivering body. “We were so worried about you,” Joe gushed out then hugged her to him. Derek did the same.

Charmaine hugged them back, “I’m glad you guys are here. I was so scared and didn’t know whether you would come get me.”

Derek rubbed her head soothingly, “Sshhh… We’re here now and we’re taking you home.”

Charmaine smiled at the prospect and with Derek and Joe on each side, they turned to leave.